• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I am addicted to Spelunky!

NotSelf

LL

So after having a splint on for 11 days which was removed yesterday I was finally able to play a daily i'm still a bit rusty but I thought I did ok. Just in case your wondering I fell on it while playing basketball i'm fine now no cast was needed very thankful!

Now back to dailies with my steam buds :)

Had a weird glitch on PSN daily last night listing my score in what must have been the previous day's scores. Must be because I started it at midnight GMT. Doesn't matter because I died to 3 arrows in the first 2 levels and it sorted itself out later anyway.

LL

So after having a splint on for 11 days which was removed yesterday I was finally able to play a daily i'm still a bit rusty but I thought I did ok. Just in case your wondering I fell on it while playing basketball i'm fine now no cast was needed very thankful!

Now back to dailies with my steam buds :)

Ouch, are you using keyboard controls?

entremet

Anyone just stop playing this game. I just burned out after playing it daily for a while. I still haven't beaten Yama or gotten Speedlunky either.

cakely

I took GAFs advice and synced up a Dualshock 4 to my PC (with bluetooth!).

Now I'm playing the steam version with the absolutely perfect DS4 d-pad. I have a feeling this will be the version I finally beat the game with.

Not like that's happening any time soon. Spelunky is still kicking my ass.

NotSelf

Had a weird glitch on PSN daily last night listing my score in what must have been the previous day's scores. Must be because I started it at 1am GMT. Doesn't matter because I died to 3 arrows in the first 2 levels and it sorted itself out later anyway.

Ouch, are you using keyboard controls?

No I use a gamepad specifically a DS3 I did make an attempt trying to play with the gamepad using my right hand fingers for jumping and whiping but it didn't go to well.

Kerned

Banned
Today I managed, for the first time, to get a whooping $0 score on the PSN daily! Walked right into an arrow trap, which blasted me down into two bats who nibbled me gently to death as I walked up after being stunned.

All within probably 3 seconds!

In the Steam daily I walked into a caveman with a boomerang inside the shop in the black market. GG

I managed to get hit by the arrow trap too. I didn't die immediately thereafter, but did go on to die before reaching 1-4 for the fifth day in a row. Tonight is my night though, I'm breaking this streak. I can feel it.

I managed to get hit by the arrow trap too. I didn't die immediately thereafter, but did go on to die before reaching 1-4 for the fifth day in a row. Tonight is my night though, I'm breaking this streak. I can feel it.

I got hit by that and two others. Died when I threw a rope up to where the key was and it set off an off screen arrow trap that bounced down into me.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Never. Ever. EVER trust hired help. They always have an ulterior motive!

iqK7960UnhbTZ.gif

"Arrrgh! Curse your inevitable betrayal!!!"

It's my own fault though as I am the one who put the shield down there. I was too busy trying to keep the shotgun out of his hands. Who would have thought he had a sinister plan all along??!!

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

iqK7960UnhbTZ.gif

It's my own fault though as I am the one who put the shield down there. I was too busy trying to keep the shotgun out of his hands. Who would have thought he had a sinister plan all along??!!

That was one of the most suspenseful gifs ever. I'm shocked that you lasted as long as you did. I thought you were dead three times before he even picked up the shield. What are you doing letting Hired Help get anywhere near a shotgun, let alone standing there and begging to be crushed to death.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
That was one of the most suspenseful gifs ever. I'm shocked that you lasted as long as you did. I thought you were dead three times before he even picked up the shield. What are you doing letting Hired Help get anywhere near a shotgun, let alone standing there and begging to be crushed to death.
I was taking him down to sacrifice him to my dark goddess but he had alternative plans in mind.

I was just so shocked he was so precise in killing the Black Knight and taking out everything else down there that I couldn't move. I had no idea the shield was down there off screen.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I've got to admit, his murder of the black knight was great. And he managed to not blow himself up with the orange frog. Nope, he just climbed directly up the ladder, murdered you for your shotgun, and smiled. Then laughed at me and told me to go kill. Weird how they have sound in gifs now. How's everybody else's Friday going?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I got crazy lucky on the pc run today. I never found the eye so I had to manually hunt for the black market entrance and luckily spotted it, then i ended up killing a shop keeper with just my whip in a tight corridor in hell.

Managed to hit 628k and beat Yama, my best run in a very long time, and I think my first time beating Yama with no jetpack.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I've been having a string of bad luck lately. The one time I got to the Temple it ended up being dark on 4-1 and I died to a hallway full of mummies and Anubis who also ended up dying right before me to the same flies. I only had 5 bombs and the floor was thick so I was screwed from the get go.

And I think I found a Jetpack ONCE all day yesterday, in a crate, immediately after finding both a box of 12 bombs and a cape in the two crates before. I thought my luck was back but I was wrong. Died to a SPIDER. In the MINES. *facepalm*

Murrah

Banned

iqK7960UnhbTZ.gif

This is everything I love about Spelunky in a single gif, especially hired help killing the black knight. So good

Anyway, haven't been playing Steam version much, been trying to get the last achievement on Vita version (finding all the hidden characters), and the only two I have left are randomly spawned ones. So annoying

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Was well on my way to getting $500,000. Had a Jetpack, a glove, enough bombs, was freeing all the gems I could in the Ice Caves, was Ghosting like a pro, then the mistakes started. First I accidentally hit a UFO on the right side and sent him into the Kali altar and blew off half, but thankfully it was after I got my Kapala. So I kept sacrificing and was in good graces even though it'd be super hard to get back to 32 favor before running out but I kept doing it, then the ghost came and I ghosted a vault and all the gems in the level except for one left right next to the exit. I should have just taken it, but I thought I could do it, and I would have too, but I didn't fall over the edge to grab it and instead ran right into the Ghost on 3-4. Fuuuuuuuuu---

Final score $378,875. Had I been able to finish I surely would have broken $500,000. Especially if I ghosted a Temple level or two. (At this point I had already accidentally used up my Ankh on 3-1 AS USUAL. So no Hell run anyway.)

SOON. SOON I SHALL GET THAT FIVE-HUNDRED-THOUSAND DOLLAR ACHIEVEMENT!

Duster

I never thought this day would come but after all this time the streak is finally over.
I've finally beaten Olmec.

Of course this being Spelunky it seems that's only the beginning.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The pitcher's mitt is super useful for later stuff, and as long as you remember you have it and know what 45º angles are it's not a burden at all.

Also, this was so fun but ended up being easier than I thought...

Good Teamwork achievement unlocked! Four more to go! Speedlunky, $500,000, No Gold and just kill a damn Devil to finish the damn Journal!

The first time I got to 4-1 and died to a mummy even though I had a Kapala, 10HP, (Down from 13 at one point) 10 bombs and a cape. A Tiki trap knocked me out and the flies finished me off.

But the second time I finished it with no Kapala, (Or even any altars at all) climbing gloves and a shitload of mines from the Black Market which I found in a dark level on a whim (No Udjat Eye) so it was a cinch to take out Olmec. Kind of sad it's over. It was so fun.

I invest $3 in a 10-foot micro USB cable so I can play Spleunky on a Dual Shock 4 from my couch. Best three bucks ever spent. Been a while since I've played the game. Soooo good with that d-pad.

Kerned

Banned
I think maybe I need a few days off from the daily. I've only made it out of the mines two or three times in the past two weeks (on the daily anyway, warmups have been fine).

cakely

I invest $3 in a 10-foot micro USB cable so I can play Spleunky on a Dual Shock 4 from my couch. Best three bucks ever spent. Been a while since I've played the game. Soooo good with that d-pad.

FYI, you can also buy a USB bluetooth receiver and use the Dualshock 4 with that.

That's exactly what I do to play Steam Spelunky now, it works really well. The Dualshock 4 d-pad is incredible.

cakely

I was in good shape, 7 hearts, 10 bombs and decent gear. Killed Anubis with two sticky bombs, got the scepter for the first time.

The third time I used it, it killed me. On 4-2.

I'm used to how easily you die in this game but that seemed particularly harsh.

demidar

I was in good shape, 7 hearts, 10 bombs and decent gear. Killed Anubis with two sticky bombs, got the scepter for the first time.

The third time I used it, it killed me. On 4-2.

I'm used to how easily you die in this game but that seemed particularly harsh.

I never fire the scepter. Ever. Too risky. I'll even lay it down just so I don't fry myself from accidentally pressing a button.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Not firing the scepter when I have no choice has screwed me over plenty of times lately. I've ended up dying anyway and think I might have had a chance if I used it just once. Like on the run after yesterday's Daily where I died to an annoying shopkeeper while trying to clear him out in order to Ghost the level. I was well on my way to $500,000 too. I had about $360,000 and probably would have gotten up to $450,000 by the end of the level with the 69 bombs I had.

The problem is you never know if it would have helped or hurt so you play it safe and don't use it. But there are those times when you wonder, "if only I'd used it to get rid of that pesky enemy."

Luthos

How bad were you guys when you first got this game?

I just got it yesterday on the steam sale, and was kinda turned off at first. I thought it was more about exploring than survival (almost speed running, to avoid the ghost). However I gotta say I'm getting more comfortable with it. Yet after 3 hours or so, I only just unlocked the shortcut to the jungle so I can keep starting from there. What makes me seem worse is this game is supposedly about starting from the beginning (I think high scores are only calculated if you don't use the shortcuts). If I'm having so much trouble on these first levels...

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
Finally beat Olmec for the first time some days ago... but then a snake fell on me and got me killed. Felt like throwing my Vita into a wall.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

I just got it yesterday on the steam sale, and was kinda turned off at first. I thought it was more about exploring than survival (almost speed running, to avoid the ghost). However I gotta say I'm getting more comfortable with it. Yet after 3 hours or so, I only just unlocked the shortcut to the jungle so I can keep starting from there. What makes me seem worse is this game is supposedly about starting from the beginning (I think high scores are only calculated if you don't use the shortcuts). If I'm having so much trouble on these first levels...
Terrible. I have videos from my first attempts. I used to do videos that were half an hour and filled with multiple terrible runs. I used to make a big deal out of getting to the Jungle. Now my videos are single runs, 45 minutes each and usually get to the Temple at the very least.

These days I feel empty if I don't at least attempt to rob the shit out of the Black Market.

And it doesn't matter if you use shortcuts, you're not going to really get a good high score if you skip whole sections anyway.

Keep at it. You get so much better in time. It's amazing how fast it can happen.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member

Everyone sucks when they start playing. Keep at it! :)

I never fire the scepter. Ever. Too risky. I'll even lay it down just so I don't fry myself from accidentally pressing a button.
I wouldn't call the scepter itself risky since it's not exactly an unreliable device. The only time it's unwieldy is if it tracks a Crocodilo, but you generally want to steer clear from those anyways no matter what weapon you bring to the fight. The scepter does require the player to be meticulous in approach however, with how it still homes in on dead bodies. If you go out of your way to crush those with thwomps or pushing blocks, burn them up in lava or manually move them elsewhere, then the behaviour of the scepter's death orb is very predictable. High-maintenance if anything, really.

You can comfort yourself in the fact that literally everyone was awful at Spelunky at first. When I started out I had a knack to repeatedly hit myself with my own rock, whereas nowadays I effortlessly deflect arrows with the whip and I've had consecutive 'true endings' without spoiling the surprise. Considering you're still learning, you're better off continuing how you're already approaching the game yeah. Focus on reaching one exit at a time while figuring out how to tackle certain obstacles or enemies, don't let yourself get distracted too much by other objectives just yet. Shortcuts are good for this purpose, but that's the only reason to use them with how they otherwise handicap the player. Mines can be rough (like you said) even for veterans, so there's no shame in struggling with them for the time being.

demidar

I wouldn't call the scepter itself risky since it's not exactly an unreliable device. The only time it's unwieldy is if it tracks a Crocodilo, but you generally want to steer clear from those anyways no matter what weapon you bring to the fight. The scepter does require the player to be meticulous in approach however, with how it still homes in on dead bodies. If you go out of your way to crush those with thwomps or pushing blocks, burn them up in lava or manually move them elsewhere, then the behaviour of the scepter's death orb is very predictable. High-maintenance if anything, really.

Sure, the scepter requires a lot of "military clearance" before firing an orb off. You gotta check a lot of different things before coming to the conclusion that it's okay to fire, though you could do it in a pinch. But doing things to clear scepter shots also comes with added risk, and if you miscalculate and kill yourself you just feel regret.

I can get by without firing off a shot though, so it's okay for me.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Getting the key from the mines, up to the ice caves is just evil. :(
The day I finally did it was a glorious day. It was the first time I made it to and beat Olmec. As soon as I handed him the key I said "I guess I should keep going now." Then I kept going. And I kept making it to the exit. And before I knew it I was in Olmec's lair. It was also the same day I decided I needed to record every run I do because I never know when I might have a good day. Even if I end up discarding 90% of my footage. It's those few good runs that make it worth it.

Everything I need to know about Spelunky, I learned from BaerTaffy and BanansaurusRex.

Kerned

Banned
My hilarious streak of ineptitude marches on. I decided that I wouldn't take a break from the daily, and last I night died in 1-2 to a shopkeeper after a botched attempt at stealing a jetpack. I got the jetpack out the door easily enough, but I had nowhere to escape to. The only path down was basically right in front of the shop. I panicked and bombed my way into a room with two arrow traps and was killed by one (was already a 2 health because of an arrow trap mishap in 1-1).

cakely

I wouldn't call the scepter itself risky since it's not exactly an unreliable device. The only time it's unwieldy is if it tracks a Crocodilo, but you generally want to steer clear from those anyways no matter what weapon you bring to the fight.

That's it! That's what happened! The Crocoilo must have teleported when the scepter ball hit him and the ball ripped through me to get back to him.

Celegus

Finally beat Olmec for the first time some days ago... but then a snake fell on me and got me killed. Felt like throwing my Vita into a wall.

I blew myself up with a bomb while clearing out Yama's room after I killed him (for the second time, luckily not the first) and would have finally broke 1 million if I just went through the door. Spelunky can be such a dream crusher.

The most unfair thing about this game is random stuff pissing off shopkeeps and it has absolutely nothing to do with you. Just entered 1-3 and got 'Hey you can't do that!' and the shopkeep murdered everything, including me.

Duster

The most unfair thing about this game is random stuff pissing off shopkeeps and it has absolutely nothing to do with you. Just entered 1-3 and got 'Hey you can't do that!' and the shopkeep murdered everything, including me.

I'd say the most unfair thing is the alters getting destroyed especially as you'd think the great Kali could tell you weren't in the vicinity but they're both annoying.

While I'm ranting I hate that a jetpack often leads to me landing on spikes, it makes no sense!
The jetpack should have the opposite effect and keep me away from spikes but I get cocky and it inevitably leads to my doom (naturally that's my fault not the games).

cakely

This happens far too frequently the moment I walk into the Black Market.

A better player would take advantage and rob everything blind, but I am not that player yet.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
This happens far too frequently the moment I walk into the Black Market.

A better player would take advantage and rob everything blind, but I am not that player yet.
You always want to wait a few seconds when you enter the Black Market to make sure nothing is immediately going to set it off.

Then you rob the place blind.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Last night I had the greatest run of my entire Spelunky career!

After a night of failures and bullshit. Two shitty Daily’s and a buttload of crappy No Gold and Speed Run failures. I jumped right back in and had the best time ever. I was all worn out from failure after failure I almost didn’t even want to. I had just failed the Daily and was just going to do some silly runs. I ended up only doing one run and it was glorious.

Got a cape from a Vampire in the 2-1 Restless Dead level. Went into the 2-2 Castle with my shotgun and took out everything. (Oh shit. I forgot about letting the helper out of his coffin to sacrifice him… oh well. It’s for the best considering what happened last time.) Got myself a Kapala. Immediately into 2-3 a frog decided to feed itself to a Man Trap standing on an altar which saved me the trouble of having to sacrifice it myself. That was nice. Especially since I wasted way too much time trying to find the Black Market entrance in the wrong place. But I got into the 2-4 Black Market and skillfully tore it up. Got a Jetpack and the Ankh. Made it into the Ice Caves. Ghosted a hell of a lot of jewels. In 3-3 an inconvenient mammoth decided to drop down on me for killing his friend and made me die, completely ruining my plans to drop the dog in the door and ghost the level. But oh well. It just happened to be the level with the Moai Head. Made it into the Temple. Took out Anubis and got the Scepter. Took it into the second level and went into the City of Gold. Got the Book of the Dead from Anubis II. At this point entering Olmec’s lair I had $380,825. Jetpacked up to the ceiling and my god, it was full of gems. A few bombs but not many, but enough to get me through to the lava below. Into Hell I go! No bombs to spare to get the rest of Olmec’s treasure. I have to save them.

All I have left in my Journal at this point is a Devil. But I don’t have a shotgun and can’t spare any bombs. I used a few to get the Amulet and take out both Vlad and his bedside companion hanging from the rafters. (They were so adorable together. I hated to interrupt their sleep.) Now it was just up to me to take out the shopkeepers between me and Yama. Three to go. The first two were really tricky. Especially the second. He just wouldn’t die. Eventually I had to take a chance and land on his head. Whomp! Knocked him out good. But no time to get the shotgun. One more chance left. Not that I would have needed it. But it could be useful. 5-3. Here we go. Wait. Hey. Well, it looks like the shopkeeper just decided to take a nap on that bed of spikes over there. I guess he won’t mind if I take all his gold and shotgun. At this point I had 2 bombs left. Can’t use them because I will need them for Horse Head and Ox Face. Into 5-4 I go! Boom. Boom. Take them out. BUT, oh no! The bomb boxes flew into the lava. I could only save one as it slowly sank into the molten rock like the Terminator. 12 bombs. I will need them.

Before I went up to Yama, a Devil decided to pay me a visit. Finally. I have a chance. Shot him up real good. Achievement unlocked! Seen it All! I fly up to the overhanging bricks. Bomb and put a rope up like all the big guys do and fire my gun repeatedly until Yama bites it. Success! Now to gather my prize! After a few layers of rubies I finally reach $500,000 and unlock the achievement!

After my victory swim in the lava pool I exit to claim my reward. Up out of the volcano I go and just as the total screen comes up I want to prepare to take a screenshot. But I was too early, and just as I have done many times I let go of Command too soon. Now a little back story, I’m on a MacBook running Parallels, which assigns Command as the Windows key. And we all know what happens when the Windows key is pressed. It minimizes the game. Well, the game decided it didn’t want to come back and crashed out. I don’t use Steam’s screenshot function.

My heart stops. I very calmly relaunch the game and make my way into the Stats screen. *phew* Thank goodness. The game records your score as soon as you exit the door. So it even included the $100,000 reward and marked me as having finished the boss. So I didn’t get to see the victory parade. Oh well.

Final total: $715,550

I now have two achievements left. Low Scorer and Speedlunky. Both of which are near impossible! But I’ve been trying! Speed running alone is soooo hard. No Gold at least lets you take your time. But speed running can end so abruptly and usually does.

Hope someone finds this enjoyable and educational.

Top Bottom