• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I am addicted to Spelunky!

Duster

PSN PSA:

After complaining I hadn't seen a plasma cannon in ages I find one
near the exit of one of the jungle levels
during today's daily challenge.

There are also copious amounts of bombs, jetpacks and opportunities to get lots of health.

Typically I dropped my plasma cannon down the abyss but I successfully managed to go and get another one the traditional way.

Martal

Neo Member
I've heard SOO much talk about Spelunky - both about how exciting it is and how much it holds back its true nature. With the game now on sale on the 360, I ask you guys is there a nice beginners guide around? Just so that I could gauge how deep it really is.
Thanks!

I've heard SOO much talk about Spelunky - both about how exciting it is and how much it holds back its true nature. With the game now on sale on the 360, I ask you guys is there a nice beginners guide around? Just so that I could gauge how deep it really is.
Thanks!

I know this sounds corny, but the beauty of Spelunky is going into it knowing nothing, and getting killed by everything, and learning the game that way.

The less you know about it when you first play it, the better. I know it's probably not the answer you were looking for, but yeah. If you want an example of it's depth, how about I tell you that I've played it more than 2,000 times and there are still things I see that I haven't seen before?

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
Ghost mining is imo the only thing that could be improved with this game. Like so many others have said, make her move faster over time or something, as is it can be SO boring.

Bear

I don't think new items would be very interesting, but I can think of a few items that they could straight out remove from the game and nothing of value would be lost (web gun, boomerang, machete, camera...)

Eh, the machete is pretty useless but I wouldn't want to lose the others. The web gun is pretty effective for wall climbing if you don't have gloves. It's also one of the best items for setting off traps, stopping arrows in midair can be useful in areas where you don't have room to dodge. The boomerang is great as a temporary weapon until you get a shotgun, especially since you can find it everywhere in the jungle area. It should't be in crates but it's probably the best projectile that you can commonly find in the environment. Some other posters covered the camera so I won't get into that.

I still can't find a compelling reason to carry around a machete though. The only use I can find is that it cuts through webs and kills enemies slightly faster.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Thanks!
Just play. Then die. Then play again. Keep dying. Keep playing. Eventually you're a god. Then you're higher than god. Then you lose your groove and keep dying again. It's awesome.

Look up the Spelunky Wiki if you really want to spoil things.

Two amusing glitches recently. The first was I had the baseball mitt and for whatever reason I threw a mouse at a wall and it got embedded in the wall. Kinda wish I'd taken a screenshot. The second was, I usually have the pug as my damsel, but for whatever reason, on just one level at random, it became the sloth. Next level it reverted back to the pug. Surprised the hell out of me.

Duster

You can kill enemies when they're prone with it as well, where the whip wouldn't do damage.

The Machete also makes it easier to kill shopkeepers, you can just butcher them in the corner without losing health unlike the whip and jump method (although obviously if you can use that technique that doesn't involved losing health that doesn't matter).

Thanks!

I hate Polygon, but this article of them regarding the most amazing achievement yet in Spelunky (so far performed once by a single person in the world, I believe) has a lot of minutiae about the game itself. Don't be intimidated, you don't need to know any of this to start playing or even beat the game.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/12/23/5...unky-miracle-or-how-the-internet-finally-beat

Incidentally, I got the book of the dead for the first time a few days ago, on a random "let's play Spelunky" moment (I don't play it nearly as often as before). I even beat Olmec, but I didn't know where the entrance to hell was, so I killed him where the normal exit is (to the right) instead of center. Gah!

graywords

I hate Polygon, but this article of them regarding the most amazing achievement yet in Spelunky (so far performed once by a single person in the world, I believe) has a lot of minutiae about the game itself. Don't be intimidated, you don't need to know any of this to start playing or even beat the game.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/12/23/5...unky-miracle-or-how-the-internet-finally-beat

Incidentally, I got the book of the dead for the first time a few days ago, on a random "let's play Spelunky" moment (I don't play it nearly as often as before). I even beat Olmec, but I didn't know where the entrance to hell was, so I killed him where the normal exit is (to the right) instead of center. Gah!

Eggplant runs are pretty amazing! There have been a ton of completed eggplant runs since that article, though, at least a dozen recorded.

You may already know, but remember that the Hell entrance changes on every run, so keep an eye on how fast your Book of the Dead is writhing. It really goes crazy when you are exactly vertical over the entrance.

Eggplant runs are pretty amazing! There have been a ton of completed eggplant runs since that article, though, at least a dozen recorded.

You may already know, but remember that the Hell entrance changes on every run, so keep an eye on how fast your Book of the Dead is writhing. It really goes crazy when you are exactly vertical over the entrance.

I died 500+ times in this games and I never knew the Book of the Dead told you were the entrance to hell is..

What, really? I didn't know it changed position OR that the book of the Dead told you where it is! I guess I wasn't remembering wrong when I thought I had seen it on the right in another guy's run, then. Thanks for the tip!

bender

What time is it?
Finally earned to Hell and Back in today's daily. Hopefully my desire remains to keep playing as it's been a near daily companion since it launched on PS3.

I've done it! I have achieved my final goal: SCORE ONE MILLION POINTS.

CEUp1U2W8AE2ErR.jpg

Worst death: drop off tiki trap ledge, no problem because it can't trigger in time and the floor below is lower than the trap.
Land on skull, which happens to be a skeleton which pops and bounces me back up to the tiki trap.

Worst death: drop off tiki trap ledge, no problem because it can't trigger in time and the floor below is lower than the trap.
Land on skull, which happens to be a skeleton which pops and bounces me back up to the tiki trap.

I was trying to outrun a ghost once. I walked off a ledge, landed on a skeleton and popped right back up into the bloody thing.

Spelunky, man.

Jb

I've done it! I have achieved my final goal: SCORE ONE MILLION POINTS.

CEUp1U2W8AE2ErR.jpg

Congrats! I'm trying to break the top 20 highscores on PSN (which I know isn't as hard as on PC) and having poor luck with the RNG. Still, makes for a fun relaxing podcast game.

ChronoX

I just came here to say that Spelunky is one of the few games I consider to be a perfect game. I need Spelunky 2 badly!!!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Ditto. Spelunky is pretty perfect as it is. It has just the right amount of items and enemy types. To add any more would be overkill. This isn't Binding of Isaac. We don't need a content patch or a sequel.

NotSelf

Spelunky is perfect I think Derek is better off making something new from the ground up he released Spelunky 2008 he worked on it quite a long time hopefully he is working on something new that would be equally great.

Vashetti

Banned
I don't want Spelunky 2, I just want some form of expansion/DLC.

New areas/levels, items, characters, etc.

Oh and a specific Vita patch to take advantage of the recently freed 30% RAM.

I don't need a sequel to Spelunky. I just want Derek to work on a new game. The dude is obviously mad talented and he really gets games.

same.. just wasnt for me.

I doubt many people get past the jungle in three hours to be honest, I certainly wouldn't worry about that.

As for the physics, Spelunky's will never fuck you over. I mean, they will sometimes, but they're always 100% consistent and you can foresee everything, so any time the physics get you it's because you made a mistake.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
amazing. how the hell did you know where the exits were in the jungle?
Lots of practice. Most likely that run was one of a few dozen the runner had done that day before it. Eventually you learn the games natural flow enough to assume where exits might be. If you're wrong, oh well, the run is over but you didn't waste too much time. Try again. If you can master the teleporter and luck out enough to get one in 1-2 you're golden... as long as you have the skills.

amazing. how the hell did you know where the exits were in the jungle?

He doesn't, he just ports straight down and the exits just happen to be right under the entrances. With so many players doing so many runs every day, to get a world record you need more than a few stars to align. :D

Nose Master

I never pick up the gloves, those things are a deathtrap.

This guy knows. Fuck the gloves. They cause way more fuckups than they're worth.

Beat Hell again after playing a game every once in a while on my Vita. Just gotta wrap up a few trophies and I've platinum'd it twice. I should triple dip on the Steam version.

EDIT: What! You can get in the Maui Head with the teleporter?! :O

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
This guy knows. Fuck the gloves. They cause way more fuckups than they're worth.

Beat Hell again after playing a game every once in a while on my Vita. Just gotta wrap up a few trophies and I've platinum'd it twice. I should triple dip on the Steam version.

Doesn't help you get to hell as you need the hedjet thing. Just a speed running thing.

mvtn

Good to see Spelunky community here. I've just re-installed the game after a longer hiatus. Still no Linux supports, but that's not that big of a deal.

entremet

Close to 2000 deaths and I'm still dying in new ways lol.

I had some ice fall on me randomly.

A mastadon froze a flying saucer and it came crashing down at light speed out of nowhere lol.

xezuru

A mastadon froze a flying saucer and it came crashing down at light speed out of nowhere lol.

Pshhaw, once I killed a Woolie and landed on a a bouncepad, turns out though for some reason the Freeze gun counted as "Falling" right when I killed it, so it knocked me out and kept knocking out because me and it were on the bouncepad in an infinite stun loop.

Pshhaw, once I killed a Woolie and landed on a a bouncepad, turns out though for some reason the Freeze gun counted as "Falling" right when I killed it, so it knocked me out and kept knocking out because me and it were on the bouncepad in an infinite stun loop.

I can't find it now but I saw a video of a guy losing like 40HP to a rock on a bouncepad, it was heartbreaking.

I had both happen to me (at different times).

I can't find it now but I saw a video of a guy losing like 40HP to a rock on a bouncepad, it was heartbreaking.

This too. It wasn't nearly as much health but it took a while.

Yeah, but it doesn't spawn the hedjet so I'm assuming it's useless except to exit the level sooner.

Top Bottom