• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I am addicted to Spelunky!

Sp3ratus

Neo Member
I think this is my all-time favourite death in Spelunky. The final little contribution from the mammoth cracks me up every single time. The way the whole thing aligns to end in my demise is so chaotically perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3zhcB0XynA
Haha, yea, I've had similar deaths like it. All you can do is just sit and watch, helplessly until it ends.

Also on another note, fantastic daily on PC today, even got Vlad's Amulet, which I never ever do. Got a new personal highscore of 1.35 mil, though it still only got me a 5th overall. There are still some really talented Spelunky players, playing the daily every day.

I was so close to doing a succesful ironman run for the first time ever. I was facing Olmec with more than 10 health. Sometime during the battle I was standing on the wall, with Olmec 3 tiles below, but to the right of me. He jumped upwards and moved left slightly and instantly squished me.

Duster

Two days ago I finally got 1 million points on the daily challenge, I'm not sure if I my joy was from hitting that target or because I never have to ghost again.

The next day I unfairly die straight away with $500 like hundreds of others judging by the leaderboards.

That just about sums up Spelunky!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
For the first time in my life I found a Plasma gun on 1-1.

Then on 1-2 I died when I tried to fire it while on a ladder. The fucking piece of goddamn shit Xbox 360 controller sprung back to the left and I fired it at the wall. Fuck you Microsoft piece of shit fucking Xbox 360 piece of shit controller. Fuck. I guess I'll find another one in another 2,297 deaths.

I was being so careful. 😥

For the first time in my life I found a Plasma gun on 1-1.

Then on 1-2 I died when I tried to fire it while on a ladder. The fucking piece of goddamn shit Xbox 360 controller sprung back to the left and I fired it at the wall. Fuck you Microsoft piece of shit fucking Xbox 360 piece of shit controller. Fuck. I guess I'll find another one in another 2,297 deaths.

I was being so careful. 😥

There's a plasma gun in every single game!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
There's a plasma gun in every single game!
Not on 1-1. This could have been a million run if I found a jetpack. It was my last goal before I retire the game aside from the two impossible ones, no gold and speedlunky. I really wanted to get a million just to be satisfied.

So bummed. I was so shocked when a purple item I didn't immediately recognize popped out of the very first crate on the very first floor of the very first level. I felt like BRex when he did his 3 million run. "Uh guys? What's this thing I found? Is it a good thing?"

Maybe one day it'll happen again. If I knew the seed for that run I'd just say fuck it and play with that seed until I get a million and just die happy even though it wouldn't count to my high score.

Any seed with an early jetpack has an easy million points in it if you don't mess it up, unless there's a total anomaly like hardly any bombs or no paste or something.

You should definitely go for Speedlunky though, you kind of have to relearn the game from scratch but that just makes it ridiculously fun, and I can't even put into words how satisfying it is when you finally take down Olmec. It's worth remembering as well that it's not nearly as hard as it sounds. If you get lucky with items and get a jetpack or a cape, for example, you can be out of the mines in around a minute, and the ice caves takes about 40 seconds total, if that. You can get through the entire ice caves in 40 seconds just with a compass. That gives you so much time in the jungle and the temple you can go at walking pace.

I'm talking myself into doing it again for no reason at all.

Hypron

hmmm, do you know the fresh hell that is "Low Scorer"? if not, work on that.. if so,
weep with me and pray for more Yu games

After picking up gold by accident against Olmec twice on one day I just went "fuck this" and never came back to the achievement haha. The game's a lot more fun when you're not playing it like that.

After picking up gold by accident against Olmec twice on one day I just went "fuck this" and never came back to the achievement haha. The game's a lot more fun when you're not playing it like that.

When I beat Olmec I had enough bombs that I could climb a rope from miles away and just throw bombs from there all the way to the bottom. I was still pretty worried that a piece of gold would shoot up at me but I was okay :lol

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
EwOp5a8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIQn8pab8Vc

I've done it boys.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Backwards compatibility on the Xbox One is going to ensure that I play this game forever - whenever it is that I get an XB1, it's going to be so good to just hop on this and do a run. Or 10. Or 100.

Backwards compatibility on the Xbox One is going to ensure that I play this game forever - whenever it is that I get an XB1, it's going to be so good to just hop on this and do a run. Or 10. Or 100.

I prefer to have it on my Vita, so I can play anywhere and suspend it too. :)

piratethingy

Congrats man! Now for the rest of the trophies...

Right you are, Speedlunky next. I'm pretty solid through the mines and jungle, need more practice platforming in the ice caves.

Part of the problem is by that point in the game I'm usually super geared up, so I'm not used to navigating there without the use of items. Definitely need more practice to be able to predict exit locations, I feel like when I spawn in the mines or jungle I can almost immediately ascertain the correct route in seconds. Not so in the ice caves!

MrHoot

I got so addicted on spelunky back then on Vita that i did some bullshit runs that didn't have any achievements, but just for personal pride. That's how addictive it is.

I did a ghost run up to hell to have 1million+ in score, i think i ended with 1.3 million after beating hell, in about 27 minutes, my best score to date

piratethingy

I got so addicted on spelunky back then on Vita that i did some bullshit runs that didn't have any achievements, but just for personal pride. That's how addictive it is.

I did a ghost run up to hell to have 1million+ in score, i think i ended with 1.3 million after beating hell, in about 27 minutes, my best score to date

Doing fake achievement runs so you know it's real.

How did you ghost to $1.3m in only 27 minutes? Madness! My high score is a bit short of $1.2m and it took me nearly an hour!

MrHoot

How did you ghost to $1.3m in only 27 minutes? Madness! My high score is a bit short of $1.2m and it took me nearly an hour!

Basically, Ghost dodging a lot for the first three levels, killing the shopkeep on the very beginning (and having a jetpack early on helps a lot), getting some gold in the golden city. I didn't get that much on level 4 and ignored pretty much level 5. But then on the hell fight, just blow up everything under the king of hell and get dem delicious jewels.

it took me lots and lots and LOTS of tries

Bit of a bump but this kinda blew my mind so I had to share.

Was playing co op with the niece and you know the crown you can pick up in Dead are restless level thats worth 5k? Well apparently if the ghost of a player blows air at the crown, it crumbles to dust and becomes worth 500 gold. :D

This game man. Even after hundreds of hours it can still surprise you.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Bit of a bump but this kinda blew my mind so I had to share.

Was playing co op with the niece and you know the crown you can pick up in Dead are restless level thats worth 5k? Well apparently if the ghost of a player blows air at the crown, it crumbles to dust and becomes worth 500 gold. :D

This game man. Even after hundreds of hours it can still surprise you.
Yup. You can even blow up the crown with a bomb if you place it badly. It's a neat touch.

Talonz

Holy cow...I just watched it. This record will never be beaten. It's the perfect run. I had to watch the Ankh swipe in slow motion he snagged it so quickly.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Holy cow...I just watched it. This record will never be beaten. It's the perfect run. I had to watch the Ankh swipe in slow motion he snagged it so quickly.
Seriously. I didn't even know it was a Hell run until he went in the door. Then I was like, "wait... when did he get the Ankh?" I thought he just went to the Black Market as a shortcut, I didn't know he was doing a Hell run. (I didn't read the title. lol) Then when he killed himself to respawn I tried remembering him getting the Ankh. Edit: Wow. It's like 2 frames. Down, Up instantly. How the fuck. Amazing.

I was pleasantly surprised. And that Yama kill was spectacular. The timing was impeccable. Yama didn't even get a chance to fight.

If it weren't for that one caveman on the way to the gold door it'd be perfect. I'd have to watch again but did he even lose any health besides that caveman? Edit: Oh yes. The bat on 1-2. But that was unavoidable.

Did he even get the Udjat Eye? Edit: No. I guess that settles it. Eye is not required for Hell.

Talonz

Seriously. I didn't even know it was a Hell run until he went in the door. Then I was like, "wait... when did he get the Ankh?" I thought he just went to the Black Market as a shortcut, I didn't know he was doing a Hell run. (I didn't read the title. lol) Then when he killed himself to respawn I tried remembering him getting the Ankh. Edit: Wow. It's like 2 frames. Down, Up instantly. How the fuck. Amazing.

I was pleasantly surprised. And that Yama kill was spectacular. The timing was impeccable. Yama didn't even get a chance to fight.

If it weren't for that one caveman on the way to the gold door it'd be perfect. I'd have to watch again but did he even lose any health besides that caveman? Edit: Oh yes. The bat on 1-2. But that was unavoidable.

Did he even get the Udjat Eye? Edit: No. I guess that settles it. Eye is not required for Hell.

Yeah, Eye has never been required for Hell. You just have to hope the black market entrances spawns so you can see the leaves of the entrance. It saves a ton of time if you are good at spotting it and any speedrunner needs to be able to spot it without the Eye now. I have a very hard time finding it without the eye so I'll never be a Pro-Spelunky Speed Runner. lol

I had to set the YouTube video to .25 slow motion to see him grab the Ankh. That was so insane. It's really a thing of beauty.

Nightbird

I wanted to get into Spelunky, but apparently there's a Ghost that makes it impossible to explore the rooms as much as you want, is that right? :/

If yes, that'll be a major Deal-breaker for me since I like to play such games without the pressure of time

Talonz

I wanted to get into Spelunky, but apparently there's a Ghost that makes it impossible to explore the rooms as much as you want, is that right? :/

If yes, that'll be a major Deal-breaker for me since I like to play such games without the pressure of time

Once you get good enough the Ghost really isn't that big of a deal, but when you first start out yeah he's a huge deal.

I really need to get back into this game.

This is a comment often said by new players but once you dig into it, you'll find it's simply not a valid issue. The game wasn't designed to be a true exploration style game. You have plenty of time to get everything you need. Give it some more play time.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah, Eye has never been required for Hell. You just have to hope the black market entrances spawns so you can see the leaves of the entrance. It saves a ton of time if you are good at spotting it and any speedrunner needs to be able to spot it without the Eye now. I have a very hard time finding it without the eye so I'll never be a Pro-Spelunky Speed Runner. lol

I had to set the YouTube video to .25 slow motion to see him grab the Ankh. That was so insane. It's really a thing of beauty.
He got really lucky with that Black Market right next to the entrance. Any one thing could have generated differently and the run would be ruined. This was a great seed. Too bad Spelunky doesn't show the seed like Isaac does so other people could try their luck. (Though it would tarnish the WR community if someone else got a record since it's all based on chance and not the ability to memorize the level well enough.)

2:30 is plenty of time to explore a level. Time-limit ghosts have been around since near the dawn of gaming.

Top Bottom