• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I completely forgot you have to pay to play online on consoles

You can be 100% sure if Discord goes subscription a new program will rise and replace it within a month.

This is not consoles we're talking about, on PC it doesn't work that way.
the moment this theoretical discord mandatory subscription goes into effect, I turn my teamspeak server back on. Thats the beauty of PC.

Its why Microsoft failed miserably at charging an online fee on PC

Steam, Origin, uPlay, GOG
Steams is so good too. Close game on desktop, open on laptop immediately playing the same save. No intervention, no fuss. And its like 500MB of storage PER GAME

prag16

Banned
Cuningas de Häme;249403059 said:
Let's hope that Nintendo intends to keep the fee low like they said. Was it something like 20€ per year? That I might pay, I understand the need to keep services up but Sony/Msoft are just milking players.

Dammit, I fuckin forgot Nintendo was going to charge for online.

Was looking forward to MK8 and Splatoon when I got a switch.

Ehhh if it's $20/yr I MAY pay it. $50-60 is straight bullshit. I'm fine doing all my online multiplayer on PC. PUBG and Battlefront 2 are probably the only two I care about for the rest of the year anyway. PC is fine.

NinjaBoiX

It's about principles. Online play isnt a service they provide. It'd be like someone asking you to pay 75p to be allowed to use something they dont provide. Do you have anyone asking you to pay 75p to be allowed to drink the water you just bought ?
It's nothing like this, at all. They provide a platform, infrastructure and often server space to facilitate online play. Then they give you access to apps and free games every month.

"It's like charging you to drink a bottle of water", lol, what a ridiculous analogy.

How the fuck do you all do it?

It's around 50 bucks per year. Come the fuck on, it's not a fortune like it sounds in your text and you even get games worth hundreds of dollars.

I don't see a problem here.
Most people here spend probably more money every year in stupid f2p games or microtransactions as in XBL or PSN.

Draft

They got me, too. I was caught up in the Destiny 2 hype and sprung for another year of Plus. Oh but wait, there was a month free in the box! *price is right horn*

prag16

Banned
Most people here spend probably more money every year in stupid f2p games or microtransactions as in XBL or PSN.

Straw man. Highly doubt there's much overlap between the people you're talking about and the people that would complain about paid online on consoles.

It's nothing like this, at all. They provide a platform, infrastructure and often server space to facilitate online play. Then they give you access to apps and free games every month.

"It's like charging you to drink a bottle of water", lol, what a ridiculous analogy.
thats amazing, because uPlay, Origin, and Steam do the same thing without charging a fee. They are charging you to be able to use the online features of a game. Its fucked up double dipping.

Shari

So in 8 pages we've dumbed down the number of arguments to "but its only $4 a month/$50 a year, it's nothing".

Well in the first page there seems to be a particularly proud user that bought 8 years of PS+ for about (quoting here) $35 a pop.

Thats 280 bucks for a bunch of services that are free in another platform, that are amongst the most unreliable in terms of availability in the market and that, the moment you unsubscribe from the service you get to keep nothing of it.

Considering we get this kind of thread every two months or so it's remarkable that we're still doing so many pages everytime. I guess people need to be reassured on how they spend their money, even if its very little of it hehe.

Crayon

It sucks but gamers are ultimately to blame. We could have had standard 24hr check in with mandatory face recognition but we luckily didn't roll over for that.

I play all online games via my Xbox and use Microsoft's Bing Rewards program to get a free sub every year. If I didn't do that, I'd probably still pay just for the free games every month. If they ever removed GwG I'd honestly consider just not playing online anymore. I don't do that a ton to begin with though.

I really don't understand why Microsoft doesn't yet offer a "free" online multiplayer option that just cuts features like party chat, Clubs, LFG, etc...

kaioshade

At this point, i view PS+ and XBLG as subscriptions to get free monthly games. At the very least the games you get monthly cover the cost of the subscription.

low-G

Yeah at this point I've let my Xbox Live sub lapse and PS+ will lapse at the end of the year.

I was OK with it when you could often get a year of service to either for $25 or $30, but that hardly happens anymore. Now it's a friggin joke. PC only MP for me!

(I did this $30 thing so much that only now are my subs gonna lapse!)

prag16

Banned
At this point, i view PS+ and XBLG as subscriptions to get free monthly games. At the very least the games you get monthly cover the cost of the subscription.

Sure if you have the time and/or inclination to bother playing those games. But if you're a dude with a wife and kids that doesn't have a ton of time for gaming and just wants to be able to play a match of online Madden or FIFA with some buddies every now and then, nope, fuck you give me money.

Demoskinos

I easily get my monies worth out of the money I put into PS+ each year. It's saved me tons of money with discounts as well as given me a nice library of games to browse through when I'm bored. And quite honestly I'd rather just pay for PS+ rather than have to deal with all the other garbage PC gaming trends like every publisher feeling the need to have their own launcher these days.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Nintendo has said that paid online will be required for "most" of their games, but they haven't clarified what that means. Either way, you shouldn't have to pay to play somebody locally. That wouldn't require an internet connection.

Sadly like lan gaming local multiplayer in its various forms has been severely reduced since online gaming took off.

If it weren't for bufferbloat I'd enjoy online gaming more but lacking local play and having to play on networks with clients that have laggy settings made for big networks doesn't inspire me much. Basically stick to PVE and light pvp stuff like overwatch arcade anything more is just annoying coming from mostly lans tournaments in my teens and college years.

Consumers on all 3 are paying to be ripped off when they could have more.

what i don’t understand is f2p games having free multiplayer on ps4 but paid games don’t. if you fucking paid $60 for the game why should you pay more money on top of that for the online portion of it.

DigSCCP

So in 8 pages we've dumbed down the number of arguments to "but its only $4 a month/$50 a year, it's nothing".

Well in the first page there seems to be a particularly proud user that bought 8 years of PS+ for about (quoting here) $35 a pop.

Thats 280 bucks for a bunch of services that are free in another platform, that are amongst the most unreliable in terms of availability in the market and that, the moment you unsubscribe from the service you get to keep nothing of it.

Considering we get this kind of thread every two months or so it's remarkable that we're still doing so many pages everytime. I guess people need to be reassured on how they spend their money, even if its very little of it hehe.

Isn't the opposite?
I dont see threads like "Im paying Plus and Im proud of it".
Everytime I see a Plus / GWG thread, thats not the month launches, is about people complaining or questioning what other people should do with their money.
Exactly how you did in your post talking about 8 years Plus user.

prag16

Banned
Isn't the opposite?
Everytime I see a Plus / GWG thread, thats not the month launches, is about people complaining or questioning what other people should do with their money.

I think he means that without what seems like a large crew of apologists insecure about having wasted money on Plus/Gold needing to reassure themselves that they didn't get screwed, these topics would not stretch to several pages long every time.

univbee

Look on the bright side, if you'd had this same problem 3 years ago, you'd have remembered, because you'd have been paying for XBL Gold just so you could use HBO GO and Netflix at all. Now THAT was some grade A bullshit that fortunately ended since it was creating legal and perception issues for them, especially outside of the US.

It's definitely always been a cash grab but unfortunately I don't think it'll ever go away because they want that financial leverage against would-be cheaters and trolls. Since PC games are almost invariably digital and have unique keys for online play, that's where the leverage is.

GRIMREEFZ

It sucks but the practice is not going anywhere. This is the reason I don't buy games on my PS4. Which really sucks, but I can not afford to pay $60 a year on multiple devices just to get cursed at in online lobbies, oh and online gaming.

I'm not going to do it but I feel like if you split all the posts in this thread into two categories and counted them up, there would be way more in the 'I don't pay for it because it's stupid' bucket than the 'I don't mind paying for it' one. The reason these threads go on is because people like complaining about a service they don't pay for.

Renmyra

It's around 50 bucks per year. Come the fuck on, it's not a fortune like it sounds in your text and you even get games worth hundreds of dollars.

I don't see a problem here.

Neogaf should charge you $50 to use this site.

watdaeff4

I mean the flip side to this is why do we have so many pages of posters worried about how others spend their money?

You don't see value in it. That's cool. Nothing wrong with that. Some seem not to care. Is it your money they are spending?

I think he means that without what seems like a large crew of apologists insecure about having wasted money on Plus/Gold needing to reassure themselves that they didn't get screwed, these topics would not stretch to several pages long every time.

Oh, come on. Get down off your high horse.

Shari

Isn't the opposite?

Sorry, reading my reply I realize it's not really well written at all. I dont question what he should do with his money, I question whether it's really "not too much money" because even taking as a example what's supposed to be a deal it feels pretty expensive to for something others do for free and with a better service quality.

My last sentence was about how a relatively empty OP gives to have several pages of discussion trying varied ways of arguing a range of stuff from "it's a great service" to "it's not that much money" in what I can only describe as an attempt to convince themselves their money is well spent.

I will put myself in the same scenario, as a mainly PC player one of the main problems of the platform is brought by freedom, I have a plethora of different clients from different companies that do and handle in a different way with their own cool stuff and quirks. I'm just going to say that is a disadvantage and be done with it, not going to try to spin around the thing and try to find an array of ridiculous explanations on how that's a good thing. All that to say I dont understand how we get to so many pages in this kind of thread if it's not because people need to convince other people the way they spent their money is smart while trying to defend a "service" (paywall).

I mean the flip side to this is why do we have so many pages of posters worried about how others spend their money?

You don't see value in it. That's cool. Nothing wrong with that. Some seem not to care. Is it your money they are spending?

I totally agree with you friend and that's why I dont understand why people try to convince other people that this is a good thing to have. Write it off as an inconvenient paywall, say that you actually have to go through with it because you want to pay online and be done with it.

I think this many pages exist because some people still trying to argue, very poorly, that this is a good thing to have.

I'm not going to do it but I feel like if you split all the posts in this thread into two categories and counted them up, there would be way more in the 'I don't pay for it because it's stupid' bucket than the 'I don't mind paying for it' one. The reason these threads go on is because people like complaining about a service they don't pay for.

I love how you keep trying to disregard people's opinions based on them not having/paying for the service. Fits very well the subject at hand actually.

I've always been fascinated at the "pay for discounts" stuff.

That, discounts locked behind a paywall, lol....oh, and "free" games.

Free rentals, sure. But not free games.

Paying to play online really needs to end but you're essentially paying double for a console with that paywall so it won't end.

That new console isn't a $400 5 year investment anymore, it's $700. Makes the original PS3 price a little more appealing.

Giga Man

"How the fuck do you all do it?"

I don't, nor can I afford to. I want nothing more than to be able to play the latest fighting games online and actually get good at at least one of them, but I can't afford $60/year factoring in priority spending, nor can I afford a good PC to play these same games on but with free online play. My internet itself is also not very good. Sucks to be me, man.

univbee

What's it going to take to change this mentality? Can we really not mass organize a mass-scale subscription cancellation protest?

In numbers that matter? Very very unlikely. Buying console games is still perceived by many to be a better deal cost-wise and time investment-wise than the PC route even with the subscription costs, and let's be honest, the vast majority of people are going to crack once the next really good not-on-PC multiplayer game comes out (like the next Halo).

Ovid

I stacked four years worth of subscriptions when they were on sale during Black Friday for $25 back in 2013. My subscription is now set to expire in a couple of months.

I hear you OP. Paying $60 just feels wrong since the service is free on PS3. I'm probably not going to renew.

Gurnlei

Agreed OP. I play my PS4 regularly but haven't subscribed to PS+ for years because it's just not worth the cost in my eyes. I get much better discounts from other places.

Shari

What's it going to take to change this mentality? Can we really not mass organize a mass-scale subscription cancellation protest?

The only way to do this is to show casual gamers, that are the ones who make the numbers, that building up a PC to play their COD/FIFA can be on a similar price as their console of choice and that after that the games are going to be cheaper and no subscription fee to play online.

That won't happen because no one "owns" the PC platform and thus no one is going to do the marketing necessary so that information arrives to those people.

Massive cancellations don't mean anything unless those users go somewhere else, and they won't since they won't know where to go.

Now if MS or Sony would drop the subscription fees then things would get interesting, but neither of them are losing anything strong enough to support that business scenario.

Sub to our streaming service so we don't have to do backwards compatibility -Sony

Savage.

For some folks it's worth it, for others it isn't.

I don't mind paying. I play the games, I play online with my friends. It's a value to me. For those that don't see value in it, that's fine too.

People have no problem spending 5 bucks a pop for a cold coffee and I have no problem spending 50-60/yr for Live/PSN. It's a consumable hobby. They provide a service, I use that service, I pay them for that service. That Sony decided to charge for that service with the PS4 isn't an issue because the cost is justified for me. I want to use the system online and it's the price of admission. If it gets to where I don't see a value in the service I'll stop paying and move on. I've paid for Live since 2002 and don't regret it at all. I get though that some don't like it and that's fine but let's stop with the condescending attitude that somehow I'm at fault for this as a consumer or I'm part of the problem.

univbee

The only way to do this is to show casual gamers, that are the ones who make the numbers, that building up a PC to play their COD/FIFA can be on a similar price as their console of choice and that after that the games are going to be cheaper and no subscription fee to play online.

That won't happen because no one "owns" the PC platform and thus no one is going to do the marketing necessary so that information arrives to those people.

PC still isn't "turnkey" enough, too, there's still too high a chance of specific games not cooperating with your specific configuration and that not being trivial to address for someone who doesn't know PC's at all.

And PC parts costs are a bit messy and in a few countries it's definitely way too expensive to build a gaming PC, and too many people want physical versions of games they can sell/trade in or whatever.

And one big advantage the consoles have is a single unified online platform instead of games being fragmented across Steam, Origin, Battle.net and other services which all work with their own unique rules and isolated friend's lists (PC gamers tend to use Discord for unification and it works well, but it's not a "known" solution in a total vacuum, you kind of need someone to tell you about it if you're totally new to PC).

Would have been nice if the Steam Machines took off, though, I think that could have made a big difference if things progressed differently.

GamerJM

Banned
It's dumb, but I always just justify it by asking for the subscriptions as gifts from people who don't know what to get me for Christmas/Birthdays. Though I did stop my XBL subscription a couple months ago because I hardly use my X1 and I'm going to subscribe to whatever the Switch online service is.

Keinning

So your solution for fighting paid subscriptions is ending console sales and shifting everyone to pc? Looks kinda biased to me.

Sorry, reading my reply I realize it's not really well written at all. I dont question what he should do with his money, I question whether it's really "not too much money" because even taking as a example what's supposed to be a deal it feels pretty expensive to for something others do for free and with a better service quality.

My last sentence was about how a relatively empty OP gives to have several pages of discussion trying varied ways of arguing a range of stuff from "it's a great service" to "it's not that much money" in what I can only describe as an attempt to convince themselves their money is well spent.

I will put myself in the same scenario, as a mainly PC player one of the main problems of the platform is brought by freedom, I have a plethora of different clients from different companies that do and handle in a different way with their own cool stuff and quirks. I'm just going to say that is a disadvantage and be done with it, not going to try to spin around the thing and try to find an array of ridiculous explanations on how that's a good thing. All that to say I dont understand how we get to so many pages in this kind of thread if it's not because people need to convince other people the way they spent their money is smart while trying to defend a "service" (paywall).

I totally agree with you friend and that's why I dont understand why people try to convince other people that this is a good thing to have. Write it off as an inconvenient paywall, say that you actually have to go through with it because you want to pay online and be done with it.

I think this many pages exist because some people still trying to argue, very poorly, that this is a good thing to have.

I love how you keep trying to disregard people's opinions based on them not having/paying for the service. Fits very well the subject at hand actually.

Did you quote someone else by mistake? Where do I 'keep' disregarding peoples opinions? That's the only post I've made talking about other people's thoughts on it, and it's a fair one.

How I do it is easy: I don't.

I was part of the problem tho since I paid for XBL in 7th gen.

I paid for a single year of Xbox Live last gen and it felt like a huge waste. Being gated out of such a basic feature is the sole reason I haven't even considered Sony or Microsoft's consoles this gen.

Online fees have turned my consoles into dust collectors. Only use them for the occasional single player exclusive now.

Really glad I moved to PC when I did

This happened to me recently, went to play a game after not touching my PS4 in awhile, and then it hit me I couldn't actually do anything unless I payed them.

So I put it back into my closet.

Where it will stay until MH World comes out.

Biggest reason I don't play multiplayer (and if I very occasionally do it's on PC). Fuck that shit, it's lame as hell that Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo think paying for multiplayer access is ok.

when Sony annouced that you would need PS plus to play online I switched to PC.
got my gaming PC November 2013.

I recently remembered this as well. It's not a huge problem to me as my main platform is PC, but it's still really lame. I can't remember the last time I had PS+ (think it was sometime last year).

I just don't. Pc is my main platform anyway, don't like to waste any more time or resources on consoles if I don't have too.

That's just from the first page. This thread is filled with 'I don't pay it any anyone who does is stupid' posts, which is fine as it's part of the discussion. Just saying that your claim that these threads go on so long because people want to justify spending their own money isn't really true. They go on because people like to complain about the service. A service that many of them admit to not even using.

Linkark07

Banned
One of the reasons I cant' play with my friends online; they completely refuse to pay for PS+. That said, I refuse to pay for it too. The increase to $60 per year made me dislike it even more.

I hate it, but I also don't pay full price and see it as paying for the other stuff that isn't online play related. I literally refused to buy an Xbox 360 because of Live having a sub. Got PS+ later on and kept it and once the PS4 came out it was required but didn't mean much because I already payed for it for the other stuff.

Blame OG Xbox Live owners for being suckered in.

DD

I blame Microsoft for showing others that you can get away with charging for online MP. It was even worse during Xbox 360 time when you didn't even get free games and just had to pay for online.

This is one of the many reasons that made me stop defending Microsoft. I mean, I'm not into multiplayer, but there was a time when you had to pay for the Xbox Live membership to have the right to have Netflix. Hell, you had to pay to use the f*ckin' Internet Explorer!

You had to pay if you wanted to see your Forza pics outside the Xbox, you couldn't even use a usb drive to get them from the HDD.

Top Bottom