• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I disagree with "gameplay > story"

F**k mobile. I was writing some deep stuff, but it's all gone because of phone's fault.

So here's my rude take: If I want story so bad I'd rather watch a movie. I'm not some sort of videogaming's peeping Tom.
Storytelling in games seems more like goofy fan-fiction. I really like when a game's story is more an hint of what is going on that actual storytelling.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I'm an arcade gamer-born guy. All stories, no matter how fantastic, essentially boil down to Save / Protect Defeat something! AND THAT'S ALL WE NEED!

*AHEM* To me, Story will ONLY 100% trump Gameplay when games stop worrying about being multi-hour mega-adventures with predictable plots, and instead offer a way for gameplay to influence story in a way that could only happen in games. And I don't mean something like Bioware's nearly insignificant choices in their RPGs.

If a game could generate a tale off of something like Shadow of Mordor's Nemesis System, I'd probably play through a 1980's sidescrolling C-grade action game in order to write that tale.

For me, the closest I could see to the OP's post in modern games, is that I do sometimes feel great CHARACTERS > Gameplay. I'll put up with some jank and occasional non-responsiveness if I really love the characters in something. Great characters can make a mundane story fun to see to the end.

There's few times where I don't feel like Stories are just accessories to make characters shine, especially in gaming.

Drop

There are games I play only for the gameplay, like rhythm games, fighting games and platformers, but usually my main drive to play a game is the story, I love rpgs.
Often I find myself trying a game for the gameplay, and I stay till the end because of the story or the characters, that was the case with no more heroes, the gameplay seemed interesting but it ended up being really repetitive, I kept playing only because the characters were interesting.

So for me usually Story>Gameplay.

Santar

It depends on what type of game it is.
The story is a lot more intertwined with the gameplay in a adventure game like a visual novel (Phoenix Wright) or a point & click adventure (Monkey Island). Everything you do in those games you do to get more story.

Whereas in a direct control action adventure game like Uncharted the core gameplay is a third person shooter, only riddled with tons and tons of superscripted sequences where all you do is press up and cutscenes you just sit back and watch.
It's like the game tries to fool you into thinking that you are doing awesome things when in actuality it's the game doing it for you on autopilot.

If you are an action game and want to do awesome things, make the awesome things stuff that happens in actual real gameplay, like in say Far Cry 4 when you shoot a enemy driver of a car, the car flips around, crashes in a tree and explodes, then falls off a cliff and only a couple of spinning burning wheels are left on the ground where you stand.
That happened because you made it happen, not because it was a scripted sequences that happens every time.

unround

Well I'd argue that sometimes the story IS the gameplay. It's certainty true of Telltale's games and things like Gone Home.

And when it comes to books, I only read them for the grammar. If you want good stories you should use your imagination. I don't see why anyone would bother with books when most of their stories are so terrible.

Seriously though, both gameplay and story are important, but it's possible to have a good game without a story, just like a book can be good if it's non-fictional (where's the story in A Brief History of Time?)

I would go so far as to say that gameplay is always synonymus with story in a game. After thinking about it for a bit, I really can't find any meaningful distiction between the two. Too many people here are defining story as this fixed thing (where occasionally you might make choices, but not too often) that happens in between actually playing the game, when really, playing a game is the act of creating your own stories with dynamic rulesets.

videogames are a narrative medium. I guess there's no dispute there. Sometimes the narrative is provided by the game mechanics (like in a game of chess, every match provides its own narrative) or by an external author (like a kojima-god watching over your shoulder while you play).
That's why I really don't get people who say things like "If I want a story, i read a book or watch a movie". If I want a passive story (maybe an exceptionally good one at that), I go for those mediums; but if I want to be part of that story or create one of my own, I'll play a game. Exactly for the story, because of the story.

Let me tell you my minecraft story. Yesterday a friend joined me in my server, when...

Exactly.

Not a unique perspective here, but I'll put up with lacklustre gameplay for good story, and I will in turn enjoy games with no story whatsoever for quality game mechanics. Like a lot of people, if both the gameplay and story aren't engaging, I'm generally out. If they're both fantastic - bonus! For me, games aren't always about gameplay - it's just the interactivity, no matter how miniscule. I would happily spend a game just sporadically pressing square if the story is good enough. Unfortunately, in the case of Heavy Rain/Beyond Two Souls/Dear Esther, I didn't enjoy the narratives presented enough to put up with the low player interaction, so they didn't work for me.

I will say that I've recently noticed I'll lose the drive to finish a game if it doesn't have a barebones story. In more recent examples, I know how well-crafted and enjoyable Smash Bros/Rayman Legends/DKCR/DKCTF all are, but I'll tend to run out of steam at 3/4 of the way through, and then never go back to them. It's absurd, as they're all fantastic games. Urgh, need more self-motivation, apparently.

-Cwalat-

A great story will never be able to compensate for crappy gameplay.

For me, the opposite was the case when i played Heavy Rain.

It had some really interesting gameplay mechanics, but it was at many times very primitive gameplay implementation at other times very well integrated and innovative gameplay mechanics. For the most part though, characters controls were horrendous.

The story is what captured me. That game was very underrated.

Gintamen

Destiny has greatgameplay and a clusterfuck story. The former couldn't save the later from being an overall bad game.
Couldn't disagree more.

Chess don't need no freakin' story.
Cards don't need no freakin' story.
Mahjong don't need no freakin' story.
Sports don't need no freakin' story.

All of those are examples of competitive games, so all you did was repeat the same sentence four times. And everyone knows competitive games don't need stories, which is clearly excluded from the argument.

It really depends on the game. I feel Uncharted and a Telltale game is a great example for my view.

Uncharted suffers from awful gameplay, but has a good, campy story with shallow characters and just an overall fun plotline. That gameplay, though, is why I can't even bring myself to finish last bit of 2 and probably never start 3. That gameplay needed to make me want to get to the next but of story, but it didn't. It was not up to par with the story.

Now: Telltale. The story is the bang. It is the pudding. The Wolf Among Us, for example, had a fantastic story although the gameplay was typical straight-forward Telltale. Still, that gameplay is perfect to carry that story and it has little variables that keep it interesting. It still is interesting and entertaining to me, especially that it is entwined with the plot so deeply.

It really is sorta a case by case thing for me. The gameplay had to work. It literally had to work with itself, the player, and the story. Without that gameplay, it will simply get uninstalled our collect dust. Story still needs t be there. Gameplay can be great, but if there are some terrible parts that don't make sense, uninstall or dust.

Gameplay is essential. Fun enough, the story can be dismissed entirely. Just Cause 2.

Unless the story is 100% integral to the gameplay, it might as well not exist.
Every Civ match I played had a great story, for example. Minecraft tends to have a good story.

WetTreeLeaf

Neo Member
So you've never enjoyed a Mario game before? Zelda? Racing games? Fighting games? Most multiplayer games? :/

I'm surprised you're a gamer at all if you think its rare for a video game to have good gameplay.
I dont see why you asked the question but I'll answer regardless; no, I've never really played Nintendo games (never owned them as a child), I dont like racing or fighting games and yes I do enjoy plenty of mutliplayer games.

You make it sound like you believe the majority of the games that come out have good gameplay.

Also you might have misunderstood what I said before, I meant that just as many games have bad gameplay as well as bad stories/narrative.

I disagree of sorts, Gameplay should always be in a balance with story quality wise, however some games that have extremes of each end of the spectrum (Amazing Gameplay or Amazing Story) can be great games

MajorTom

I'm confused by your 2013 GOTY pick..........you prefer story over gameplay and you didn't pick something like the last of us? Nothing wrong with your choice really, it just doesn't make sense considering the title for this thread.

I absolutely detest the "If I want a good story, I'll go and read a book" statement with a passion, it's a pathetic, narrow minded and dismissive perception which is holding back games as a medium. The notion that somehow static white pages with black text are the pinnacle of expression for storytelling is ridiculous, games are in a unique position where their interactivity can draw you into the world and place you in the shoes of the protagonist better than any other medium. Particularly with VR headsets like Oculus Rift on the horizon.

I play a lot of ADVs, VNs and RPGs because I love how a great story can absorb me into the world, it becomes MY story, my choices decide how the game proceeds and ends. VNs in particular can make use of visuals to express character emotion far better than words could ever hope to. But a game doesn't even need to be plot heavy, sometimes a great story can be hidden in the background through interacting with the characters around you.

Nintendo are possibly the worst offender, their attitude that story is always to the detriment of gameplay and shouldn't be a part of their games is a complete waste of the talent they have working for them. Koizumi has proven multiple times that even a small amount of backstory being given to the characters and world can have a meaningful impact (Majora's Mask being the best example of this). Super Mario Galaxy is probably the best Mario game ever made, not solely because of the gameplay, but also because of the beautiful storybook segments that flesh out Rosalina and the Lumas and spice up the world you are interacting with. And yet after that we had nothing but angry cries that Mario games should never ever have a plot, that somehow these totally optional storybook segments ruined the game. It's a real shame, they literally have the best developers in the world working for them and I know they could pull off games which perfectly blend gameplay and an engaging story, but they won't.

PaulloDEC

Great gameplay will stick with me for a while. It'll keep me playing, sometimes for weeks or months on end.

Great stories will stick with me forever. I'll find myself thinking about them years later, and they'll never leave me.

I'm a story guy. I love great gameplay, but the games I love the most have to have both.

I tend to agree with you OP. I lean towards games with substances and story over pure gameplay. Although I feel you're selling the Ace Attorney series short. Those games are murder mystery, point and click adventures. It's not as though there is no gameplay. It's still very much interactive. I can appreciate good gameplay from afar (something like Minecraft is beautiful and creative) but I personally can't get invested. Why I try playing something without a story it feels pointless, and I can't use my valuable free time on it.

It's why I don't play many multiplayer games. I get too disinterested. Only exceptions are couch based, local multiplayer (Mariokart, Smash brothers).

All my favorite games have to have both story and gameplay. Like wanting to date someone who both has a job AND showers!

But then again, maybe I'm just a lady with high standards.

Bricky

Games were the "ginmick" is the story tend to age more poorly than the ones where the gameplay was the priority.

What a weird thing to say. Stories don't age, period. A good story is always worth telling even if the game around it becomes outdated by modern standards. Greek and Roman mythology are hundreds of years old and we still tell and iterate on their fantastic stories.

Good gameplay doesn't necessarily age either, we still play chess (or an example more suitable to games; still play Tetris), but even when that isn't the case it doesn't mean a good story becomes irrelevant over time.

Not to mention that with games, what once was considered "good" story telling might even feel a bit silly with the passage of time.

That is because our standards have become higher, video game storytelling has much improved over the years.

KKRT00

Other than RPG games [diablo-like genre is an exception] i actually think that graphics or at least art are more important than story.

Gameplay is above everything else and by a wide margin.

FluxWaveZ

First post nails it for me.

I feel bad for anyone who plays video games for their stories. I do hope that changes in the future. I'm not against the idea of playing a video game for the story. I just think that video game stories are horrid 99% of the time.

I feel bad for anyone who doesn't understand that people have different tastes.

Have you played Ace Attorney? Zero Escape? Danganronpa? Spec Ops: The Line? Hotel Dusk? Nier? The Walking Dead? The Wolf Among Us? Catherine? Gone Home? Alpha Protocol? All games that were mostly lauded for their story and characters over gameplay. If you don't like them, that's fine, but you don't need to condescendingly "feel bad" for people who like those types of games and enjoy them because you don't. What an idiotic sentiment.

Yet another topic where people can express their elitism regarding how a video game "should really be." Ridiculous.

go read a book or what a movie then.

Hm.

plainr_

For me, it still is gameplay, first and foremost.

These days though, I have to see some balance. Good gameplay and a decent story is what gets me engaged enough to finish the game at all. But I guess that's me getting old. I just don't feel the satisfaction of completing games with shit story anymore no matter how good the gameplay.

KingT

Neo Member
While I don't agree that the stories found in movies are always better than the ones in video games (especially these days with too many movies with repeated or week stories but that's not our topic).

I do strongly believe that gameplay is the most important aspect of video games at least to me if I can't enjoy the gameplay I can't force myself to play through the story.

Having a good gameplay with a nice story is a bonus and I do enjoy good story in video games granted that I enjoy the core mechanic of the gameplay.

Nowadays I do believe there are new type of gamer's who play games for the story even if its short example of that call of duty games they only play the campaign mode and never bother touching the multiplayer mode, then again each one of us has his/her own preference.

Yeah.. No.
Both would be nice in certain games but i buy games for the interactivity and the gameplay.
A good story can make a game much more immersive, sure.

jimi_dini

All of those are examples of competitive games, so all you did was repeat the same sentence four times. And everyone knows competitive games don't need stories, which is clearly excluded from the argument.

Solitaire / Patience also doesn't need a story.

Gameplay ALWAYS trumps story for me. I could care less about a story in a game. If I want a good story, I'll go watch a movie. When I play a game, I need good gameplay. It's as simple as that.

Nailed it. Only very few games deliver on a great story or well written characters. NieR comes to my mind. The story of almost all games doesn't even come close to the best movies / books out there.

Peach getting kidnapped by Bowser? That's enough motivation for me.

One of the best examples is that silly DuckTales remake. The flipping cutscenes every few minutes ruin the game.

Having nice lore is okay in Demon's / Dark Souls. But do I need it? Hell no. It's always gameplay first. Remove the lore from those games -> not a problem. Remove the awesome gameplay -> well now there is a problem.

Nemmy

Well, if you're playing VNs or Adventure games, of course story is more important than gameplay, other than that, Nope.

Yup, depends on the genre. But generally, I don't care how bad a game's story is as long as the game plays good. If it doesn't... you need a hell of a story to keep me playing. So gameplay > story for me.

I think the only "game" I finished despite not finding it fun to play was To The Moon. I loved it in the end, but I wouldn't even call it a videogame really, and I think it would be better off without the more "gamey" parts.

I think this is kinda silly to say, when I make a decision in The Witcher 2 I'm "interacting" with the game, my decision shapes the game world and the gameplay; you can only get certain experiences through games that you could never get through a movie.

Why? Why can't somebody tell a story through a game? People get hung up on the term "game" way too much.
Both of you took my comment out of context. i never said games are not a good medium to tell a story.

The comment was an answer to the OP, if the creator came up with an excellent story and chose to completely ignore and down right make an incompetent gameplay expericience that adds nothing, then he might as well chose the movie medium to share his vision.

More over, there are games that comunicate their stories mainly by using cinematic technics which in the end (even if enjoyable) are a waste of what distinguishes the medium.

WetTree, you might want to come up with a different example. The "chose your adventure novels" fit the exact same criteria. When i make a decision in the Witcher no gameplay element is changing, what changes is the scenario and plot elements in which the exact same gameplay takes place.

Anyway, i hope that is all cleat to both of you what i said. Never implied that games are not a good medium for story telling.
What a weird thing to say. Stories don't age, period. A good story is always worth telling even if the game around it becomes outdated by modern standards. Greek and Roman mythology are hundreds of years old and we still tell and iterate on their fantastic stories.

Good gameplay doesn't necessarily age either, we still play chess (or an example more suitable to games; still play Tetris), but even when that isn't the case it doesn't mean a good story becomes irrelevant over time.

That is because our standards have become higher, video game storytelling has much improved over the years.
Please stop selective quoting of specific parts of posts to destroy the context.

Since videogames are a young medium, the way and methods to tell stories throught it have been evolving with time, as well as the quality of such stories. That's why some games where the story was the "ginmick" didn't age well or feel cheesy today, yet back in the day they could be considered a new "benchmark" of interactive story telling.

If the game was backed up by competent gameplay, which matured faster in games than the story telling part, it could hold out better.

It depends, but I would lie if I said Metal Gear Solid was so memorable for the gameplay. The gameplay always bugged me, but the story always drew me in like no other. Particularly the story sequences that combined story with gameplay. (getting tortured and answering/not answering, unplugging your controller to avoid mind control, resetting your ps2 two days forward so The End(the old sniper dude) dies of old age, pulling the trigger during a cut scene, dragging your body across a vaccum.

I loved that. I think it compliments each other.

In Mass Effect and Dragon Age, it also feels like that all your heart work and all the people you killed, gives you a sense of elaboration and exposition that movies don't have time for. Good video game stories that are on the longer side feels more like tv shows than than movies.

gelf

I have room for both gameplay focused and story focused games in my life. Variety is nice. And in some games gameplay and story are symbiotic and go hand in hand.

That said I have a much higher tolerance for a game with great gameplay and poor story then the other way round.

Afrocious

A story has pulled me out of a game a few times. Xenoblade Chronicles' back to back (to back) plot twists near the end made me put the game down at what I believe was the final dungeon. Never went back and years later, youtube'd the ending.

If a hint of ME3's ending ever occurred at an earlier point in the game, I'd probably stop playing the game then.

I stopped playing Pokemon B/W2 because I was expecting a plot stronger than what was in the game, considering this was a sequel to the Pokemon games that had a better plot than any other Pokemon game.

A marriage of both is best of all, but these days gameplay is far important to me. It used to be (back in the PS1 era) that I could play a game if I didn't like the gameplay but wanted to see what happened in the story. Nowadays though with a family and personal time much more precious I can't be arsed with nonsense in games so pure gameplay is much more important. For instance, I used to love the MGS series but I've grown tired of its bullshit and I'd much rather play an indie game or some dumb fun like Just Cause 2.

Mr. RHC

Reading through this thread I get the feeling that some people only play games and genres with no story.
I also can't agree with the sentiment that the nature of interactivity sets games apart from other media and thus the gameplay is the defining and important characteristic.

This really just does not make any sense.

I think gameplay = story, however I think it is not productive to argue like this. Anyways, up until now I thought that would be the reasonable thing to assume, I guess not.

It's complete nonsense of course that sport games, puzzle games or racing games by definition have to be games without a compelling story. Do some of you even play action adventure games? Usually an adventure relies on a story, so to say that gameplay > story in action adventures or adventures is hypocrisy.
But I guess the same people think that gameplay > graphics in every possible instance.

Try to play your shiny PS4 games without graphics.

I'm an arcade gamer-born guy.
Yep.
It seems like the younger generations of gamers who grew up without that and started around the N64 generation don't really understand what used to draw us to video games. I want to feel like I'M going on an adventure, not watch some douche go on an adventure while occasionally letting me control him.
I don't think a good story in games is without merit entirely, but it should never be a priority over engaging gameplay.

kiguel182

The best, more meaningful games are those that use their gameplay to make you feel or transmit you a story or an idea, I agree with that.

Marrying the two is when this medium is at it's strongest and most unique level. While a game that is pure gameplay can be fun and engaging (hell I play tons of games like that) they are the games that don't really show what the medium can do.

I'm not saying this is an hard rule but I disagree that story is irrelevant and you can just "go read a book" if you want a good story. There are ways to transmit stories that only video-games can and it would be a waste if nobody tried to explore them.

Seanspeed

Banned
I dont see why you asked the question but I'll answer regardless; no, I've never really played Nintendo games (never owned them as a child), I dont like racing or fighting games and yes I do enjoy plenty of mutliplayer games.

You make it sound like you believe the majority of the games that come out have good gameplay.

Also you might have misunderstood what I said before, I meant that just as many games have bad gameplay as well as bad stories/narrative.
I did not say that the majority of games have good gameplay. I said that its strange that a gamer would feel that its *rare* that a game has good gameplay.

And no, I do not agree that just as many games have bad gameplay as bad stories. Considering I cant think of a single game that has a genuinely good story, I'd say the ratio is massively lopsided. You can disagree of course, but we're obviously on hugely different wavelengths when it comes to what we consider a quality story.

I feel bad for anyone who doesn't understand that people have different tastes.

Have you played Ace Attorney? Zero Escape? Danganronpa? Spec Ops: The Line? Hotel Dusk? Nier? The Walking Dead? The Wolf Among Us? Catherine? Gone Home? Alpha Protocol? All games that were mostly lauded for their story and characters over gameplay. If you don't like them, that's fine, but you don't need to condescendingly "feel bad" for people who like those types of games and enjoy them because you don't. What an idiotic sentiment.
Yes, I've played a couple of those. None of them had a good story. Some of them had interesting and enjoyable ways of telling a story, but the actual plotlines themselves? Haven't played a game yet that really captivated me beyond a surface level investment. Nothing that I've ever wanted to talk about with people or go, "Man, that shit was great!". Yet I do this very thing regularly when it comes to books and certain movies and even TV shows.

Video games are still just so far behind the curve.

As for it being condescending that I feel bad for people who play games for stories? Read the person I quoted above. Has never played a Nintendo game. Tell me you don't feel bad for that person. Its like somebody saying they don't like, or haven't ever tried pizza, and saying its because they don't care about bread and like to eat fish instead. Would you feel bad for that person? They can enjoy what they want, but I'll still feel like they're missing out greatly.

Yep.
It seems like the younger generations of gamers who grew up without that and started around the N64 generation don't really understand what used to draw us to video games. I want to feel like I'M going on an adventure, not watch some douche go on an adventure while occasionally letting me control him.
I don't think a good story in games is without merit entirely, but it should never be a priority over engaging gameplay.

Uhm N64 came with Super Mario 64 if it had more story than SMB I certainly don't recall so.

Bricky

Please stop selective quoting of specific parts of posts to destroy the context.

How did my quoting destroy the context? The only parts I didn't quote were the example you gave and the entirely seperate bolded point at the end.

Since videogames are a young medium, the way and methods to tell stories throught it have been evolving with time, such as the quality of such stories. That's why some games where the story was the "ginmick" didn't age well or feel cheesy today, yet back in the day they could be considered a new "benchmark" of interactive story telling.

This is true, but there is an important difference between storytelling and story. The story itself isn't a gimmick even when the storytelling might've been considered groundbreaking back then yet irrelevant in modern times.

If the story is crap now, it was crap back then too.

The comment was an answer to the OP, if the creator came up with an excellent story and chose to completely ignore and down right make an incompetent gameplay expericience that adds nothing, then he might as well chose the movie medium to share his vision.

While this statement isn't wrong, when does this ever happen? David Cage games are often target of this argument, but people loved Heavy Rain because the gameplay, simple as it may be, immersed them in an otherwise mediocre murder mystery. Nobody will argue simple quick-time events make for good gameplay on their own, but Heavy Rain wouldn't have been anywhere near as entertaining as a movie. It being a game was essential to its enjoyability.

Once the interactivity stops having any meaning is when the creator might as well have made a movie or a book, but I can't think of any noteworthy examples where this is the case.

A great story will never be able to compensate for crappy gameplay.

Should have been first. Terrible story can be skipped to get to good gameplay, you can't skip terrible gameplay to get to good story.

I will echo above that some of the best games merge the story and gameplay to great something more amazing than if it lacked story, but if you had to choose one or the other, gameplay has got to come first or else you essentially have something that isn't a game.

WetTreeLeaf

Neo Member
As for it being condescending that I feel bad for people who play games for stories? Read the person I quoted above. Has never played a Nintendo game. Tell me you don't feel bad for that person.
I mean, I have played them, they're just really boring (to me); hence, I've only played them for a bit.

Mr. RHC

Yet I do this very thing regularly when it comes to books and certain movies and even TV shows.

Video games are still just so far behind the curve.

As for it being condescending that I feel bad for people who play games for stories? Read the person I quoted above. Has never played a Nintendo game. Tell me you don't feel bad for that person.

No offense but I think this is even wrong on a subjective basis.

I can't believe people really have this tunnel vision that games as a form of entertainment can not provide what books and movies etc. do

FluxWaveZ

As for it being condescending that I feel bad for people who play games for stories? Read the person I quoted above. Has never played a Nintendo game. Tell me you don't feel bad for that person. Its like somebody saying they don't like, or haven't ever tried pizza, and saying its because they don't care about bread and like to eat fish instead. Would you feel bad for that person? They can enjoy what they want, but I'll still feel like they're missing out greatly.

Well, I don't know if I can really say I feel bad for that person, but I obviously do think there is value in playing a large variety of games to truly determine one's tastes, instead of being ignorant of what might be out there that they might truly enjoy, but haven't gotten to play yet. I personally don't "play games for story", but I enjoy video games that depend on them. I also enjoy video games that depend on their gameplay, or those that balance both.

People can enjoy story driven games without being dependent on them, while still playing games that are solely driven by their gameplay.

RangerX

Banned
I love a good story in games( Planescape I'm looking at you), but it never trumps gameplay for me. I can't play a game if it doesn't have good gameplay.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
This thread is full of very stark black and white views of gameplay and story elements. It's not often like that in many games. There's a lot of gray elements to take into account.

There is a place for a story and it should not be limited for books and films. Using an argument that the stories are often b-grade level afterthoughts is one of the excuses to back up a flawed argument. A story carries the rest of the disconnected parts of a game forward so that the player has a reason for the gameplay elements in it. If a developer fails in writing a good background and story for their game, it will reduce the quality of the overall game, but it won't necessarily make it bad.

Story however, is not necessary in every game that there is. Tetris, like said in the OP, doesn't need a story as the goal of the game is just to empty the blocks from the screen and get a high score while the game gets faster and faster. However, we could inject a story into a game of Tetris to change the goal of the game to include an end element. A WHY to the formula. As I said, it would not be necessary, but it could make the player be interested to see what happens with the story and for the game to have an end, instead of not really having one.

Thus as an example of a puzzle game with a great story I present Catherine. The game itself is a climbing puzzle game where the player character has to climb obstacles with traps, time limits and fighting enemies. The game mechanic is for players interested in mind-twisting block puzzles, but the developers decided to inject a story about relationships, cheating your partner and drinking alcohol in a bar between the puzzle sections. This itself created a backdrop for the gameplay and an end goal for the total game, so that players have an incentive to not quit when there is a difficult section in the game, and a will to see what happens next with the characters in the game. Thus, the game creates two sets of players; ones interested in gameplay and others for story. Both are treated with interesting elements, but both have different approaches to the game, and they get satisfaction from these two different offerings. Some might like both.

In a game like Super Mario, the story is just about saving the kingdom by saving the princess. That is the only story there is, and it is used only as a general end goal for the game and some mid game elements. When the princess is rescued, the story and thus the game ends. If there would not even be this simple story, ending the game would be a tougher sale for the player and they would be left wondering why the game ends on nothing. Even for a game like Mario, there has to be one as the game concept is not abstact like Tetris. The gameplay is great and a reward in itself, but removing even the tiny amount of story that there is would results in a disjointed set of gameplay sections.

Story in shooters like Fuse, Gears of War or Army of Two is generally b-grade stuff, that is just there to tie the shooting together and it shows. When the action is made the main point of the game, like platforming is for Mario, the story in shooters suffers from this oversight.
Now why is it that a platformer can have a barebones story but a shooter often needs one? It might be due to the realistic elements of the games. The closer you take a player to the real world, the more you have to use real world elements in the game. As the characters start to resemble actual human beings, the more you expect from them and the game itself to resemble our world.
I chose these three games because they have three different approaches to story telling, but they all have one element that is present in them all, co-operative gameplay.

Now, Fuse has a background story, something about a material that can do something, something, important. But the story is often told while you play and after an hour or two, the players have no idea why they are fighting and who.
The Army of two story is utter shit about a fallen mercenary and a mexican drug lord. The story is often told in cutscenes, so the player has a general idea why they are fighting, but actually don't care because the story is so bad. But as bad as the story is, at least is so bad that the player remembers the horseshit the writers are vomiting on screen. It's designed to be as simple as possible to tie the scenes together.
Gears of war at least tries and has a more larger story with interesting elements that are tied together with cutscenes. The player at least cares for the human race not being eradicated. But the characters written for the game are just buffed tanks wearing XXL sized armour and they solve everything by shooting things to pieces. Having a weaker story makes it all the more important for the gameplay to be better. Of course having a great story doesn't lessen the need for the gameplay to be up to par. There has to be a balance of these two elements.

The redeeming factors for these three games is the gameplay and the ability to play with friends. This creates a lesser need for the story to be present, as the smaller "stories" are created by the player interactions with the game world. How they tackle the gameplay and enemies attacking is now more valuable than the general story.
How many games often go around having a bad story in general, is to give players smaller goals that they have to tackle during gameplay e.g. Defend a point, reach a lever, escape a section. The gameplay to reach these small goals is key and the story around is oft forgotten as the mini-happenings created from interactions with the world take the center stage. "Did you see that! How the guy was blown to bits! Awesome" is what makes the players happy and the interactions between the players experiencing the happenings together is what matters.

Just to delve into The Last of Us for a bit. The game could survive without Ellie character, but her being there makes the game more involving for the player. It makes you care for the characters more and it creates an overall arc for the story you are following to the bitter end. Your general reason for fighting is for her, not for you. The story creates the tension in your mind when it presents enemies and situations that otherwise wouldn't be there without the story. You crawl through a snowstorm to rescue her and in your mind you think "I wanna kill them all! motherfuckers!". That's the story affecting the game. Then it's nicely tied with the game having a satisfying gameplay too. Without it the story, no matter how interesting, would be less fun. Fighting with controls often trumps any interesting story elements.

What I want to simply say is that there is no gameplay over story or vice versa. They both have to co-exist. There is just a need for most games to have a story with a beginning, middle an end. Otherwise the elements you want to present for the player are separate. The gameplay is the addictive interaction element and the story is the glue that ties them all together.

It's about balance of several elements. Not one or the other.

Sorry for the long post. I got carried away. Hope it makes sense for you.

Top Bottom