• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I don't like Zelda

bjork

3D Zelda's are amazing but the 2D Zelda's do nothing for me, as my entry into the series was Ocarina of Time. Skyward Sword looked really bad, so I skipped that.

I'm the exact opposite. OoT was what turned me off of Zelda.

Zelda 2 foreva

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
But every time I play, I'm so bored. Running around poking grass, jars, and chickens with my sword isn't fun. Never ending dungeons that look the same aren't fun.

Hmmmmm something tells me you've never really given each game a fair shot. Especially with the never ending dungeons comment. For example most dungeons in twilight princess don't take more than an hour or so to finish, only a few last longer than that.

The fun in Zelda is just losing yourself in the game, the feeling of going on a basic "save the kingdom" quest has its own charm.

You may have tried a lot of zelda games but have you really actually sat down with them? I can get not liking zelda, but your reasoning makes me feel like you've never really played past the 1st or 2nd dungeon with any of them.

bjork

Hmmmmm something tells me you've never really given each game a fair shot. Especially with the never ending dungeons comment. For example most dungeons in twilight princess don't take more than an hour or so to finish, only a few last longer than that.

The fun in Zelda is just losing yourself in the game, the feeling of going on a basic "save the kingdom" quest has its own charm.

You may have tried a lot of zelda games but have you really actually sat down with them? I can get not liking zelda, but your reasoning makes me feel like you've never really played past the 1st or 2nd dungeon with any of them.

How many dungeons constitutes having "really played" a Zelda?

3DShovel

people who post this image should be straight up banned. it adds fucking nothing to the discussion

OT: only zelda i liked was ocarina of time

The problem here is that the image works so well in this context. Seriously, like, great, you don't like Zelda, carry on.

OT: It's really too bad you don't like Zelda, OP. When I was growing up, Zelda was a source of comfort for me and the series as a whole is immensely valuable to me to this very day.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
How many dungeons constitutes having "really played" a Zelda?

Depends on the zelda, for example with OoT, if you don't like the game by the time you enter the forest temple as a big adult I'd wager you never will.

With Majora's Mask it's probably just the first temple because of the nature of each temple having a ton of activities to do before you get to them.

With respect to the ones that OP has played:

ALTTP you probably should play at least till you get the master sword as well.

TP only till the end of the goron mines (so the second one), just because the between dungeon activities in that game keep you a lot busier.

I can't really say for 1 and 2. Mainly because they're totally different games even if they share similar elements. 1 and 2 are generally love em or hate em games.

I hate Zelda too. I just hate fantasy adventure. I also hate all things Star Trek and Star Wars. And I hate Disney movies.

You are now my worst enemy.

---

@OP - not everyone has to like all the same things. For me, Zelda is one of my favorite series in all of gaming, so of course, I disagree with you completely, but there's nothing wrong with that. I'm sure you love games that I don't like. Zelda dungeons are the best dungeons in all of gaming.

Chaos17

OP : are you going to open a thread on every videos game you don't like ?...

people who post this image should be straight up banned. it adds fucking nothing to the discussion

Lol, why ? I has the same message like other people who're respecting the choice of the OT. Better this than a pointless argument.

espher

I don't like the 3D Zelda games, but I love the top-down ones. OOT was a let down for me (and I still feel bad about that b/c Christmas and all, but at least I found out I didn't like it early enough for my mother to return it... in hindsight, should have kept it, dat CIB value).

So I'll meet you half-way OP, but for different reasons.

Anfony O

Actually it's extremely fitting. If everyone on this forum wants to state out loud what he doesn't like we wont be able to keep up.

It's hard to tell you what you're missing when you've played plenty of the games already. I assume to a decent point and not given up early on. Not everybody will like the same thing. I've met people who dislike The Godfather Part 1 and 2 and like part 3. I mean whaaaaaat.

Wa...WHAT!? the thread should now be about this!!

But yeah not everyone will like everything brah personally Zelda to me is the pinnacle of game design.

Okay?

Different strokes for different folks. Whatever floats your boat. One man’s meat is another man’s poison. You don't have to like it and you don't need other people to tell you why you don't like it, if you find it boring then that's that.

I enjoyed OoT, MM, and WW, but now I've moved on to TES and Darksiders for taking what I did like about the Zelda titles I played, and improving on the areas I thought were lacking. (And not introducing motion controls)

Nakho

It is fine not to like something, but just straight up lying about its characteristics, like you are doing, tells me any discussion here would be fruitless.

The appeal of Zelda is being thrown into a vibrant fantasy world and accumulating items and abilities to unlock that world as you go. For my money, it's the best for that kind of game. If that generic description doesn't sound like fun, then you won't like Zelda. All I ask is that you don't review the next Zelda for a major publication if your whole rationale is "elves suck"

rager

Banned
I feel the exact same way. I want to like Zelda and have tried most of them, but I can't stand the silent Link, endless poking and walking and horrible story.

strobogo

Banned
I think the question here isn't so much "how many zelda games have you played?" as much as it is "how far have you played any of those zelda games?".

Because if thats your takeaway of the series, it sounds a lot like "gave up playing during the tutorial area"

Beat 1/2/ALTTP, about 50% of OoT, and probably around 75% of TP.

Lol, why ? I has the same message like other people who're respecting the choice of the OT. Better this than a pointless argument.

Yes.

It's not pointless. Talking about things you don't like about a video game series is just as constructive as talking about things you do like about a video game series. So if this thread is pointless, then every thread that's about how someone LIKES a video game series is also pointless because all they're doing is what OP is doing, but at the reverse end of the spectrum.

You know what IS pointless? Your only contribution to a conversation essentially being "OK". At that point it would have been better if the person just passed by the thread and said nothing at all. All it's doing is making me scroll more for a hollow unneeded statement that added nothing to anything.
Actually it's extremely fitting. If everyone on this forum wants to state out loud what he doesn't like we wont be able to keep up.
Forums exist specifically so people can voice their opinions about what they do and do not like. That's why everyone is here. By this logic no one should voice their opinion on things that they DO like, because if they did, we wouldn't be able to keep up.

PaulBizkit

I don't like Zelda either. I find it very repetitive... shield, sword, boomerang, bomb, bow... bosses that need to be hit five times... lack of story. There's not much action either.

I've played link's awakening, link to the past, OoT, Majora's a bit, wind waker, minish cap and the first part of Twilight Princess.

Never completed any of those. But i respect the franchise and what it means to the industry.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member

This pic should be banned.

Heck all pics that add nothing to the discussion should be banned.

The obvious thing to do is post the pic right here, but... I'll refrain.

Seriously though, is saying you don't like something really thread worthy? I mean, that's great. We all like and dislike different things. The OP is basically just a stream of opinions that really don't work as a jumping off point for good discussion.

I mean, "Elves and high fantasy stuff aren't cool." OK? I think they're pretty cool. What more can be said?

What is there to add? Should we all make threads because we don't like a series?

On topic, I generally only like the 2D Zelda's as the 3D versions don't seem to have as good of an open world to explore.

The obvious thing to do is post the pic right here, but... I'll refrain.

Seriously though, is saying you don't like something really thread worthy? I mean, that's great. We all like and dislike different things. The OP is basically just a stream of opinions that really don't work as a jumping off point for good discussion.

I mean, "Elves and high fantasy stuff aren't cool." OK? I think they're pretty cool. What more can be said?
There are plenty of threads about how people like certain video game series and people don't go into them complaining that they're not thread worthy. Why is saying you like something thread worthy, but talking about how you don't isn't?

And if you would have actually read the thread you would have seen OP responding to people who have continued the conversation in ways he intended. The thread is about more then "I don't like Zelda." he also asks what other people see in the series, why they enjoy it, and why they think he doesn't.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
And if you would have actually read the thread you would have seen OP responding to people who have continued the conversation in ways he intended. The thread is about more then "I don't like Zelda." he also asks what other people see in the series, why they enjoy it, and why they think he doesn't.

OK, OK, let me take a look.

What do you think I like

No. I don't find video game characters hot.

I have actually. I don't get boners over 3D video games or cartoons. Maybe I should make a thread about that. It'd probably get a lot angrier on GAF than this thread.

Is she a 3000 year old demon?

Psh. That's way too old. Only thousand(s) year old demons dressed as 13 year olds are hot. Everyone knows that.

OK.

Molemitts

I love Zelda, but I'm not a huge high fantasy fan either. I much prefer dark fantasy. Majora's Mask and Wind Waker probably avoid the high fantasy themes the most.

Majora's Mask is quite a dark game and it relies more on character interaction than most other Zelda games.

Wind Waker is not dark at all, quite the opposite. I would still hesitate to call it high fantasy, it's much more themed around pirates and ocean exploration.

Never ending dungeons that look the same aren't fun.

Never play a rogue-like.

I love that image. Unfortunately some people don't understand that all this shit is just opinion. And everyone's perspective is different. Different strokes yo.

Apex_Predator

Neo Member
Different strokes for different folks. I personally don't like many FPS games and am gradually losing interest in HALO. I also despise Destiny which seems to be a hit with many of my friends. Bought the PS4 Destiny bundle specifically for the white console, played destiny for a few days and then traded it in towards Mordor. Totally don't regret it. Got $45 for it and only had to pay like $13 bucks for a new copy of Mordor.

I hate Zelda too. I just hate fantasy adventure. I also hate all things Star Trek and Star Wars. And I hate Disney movies.

You're just a hater.

tumblr_inline_mxjute0YQ01r1onmy.jpg

OK, OK, let me take a look.

OK.
There are also people he's actually conversing with and learning things about the Zelda series from as well. But feel free to continue to ignore that portion of the thread. Or just leave, since you don't seem to want to be in here or discuss anything but the fact that you think this thread isn't needed, even though you just could have ignored it in the first place and never had to look at it at all.

At the very least, if people disagree with someone, they should explain to them why, not post some shitty useless picture that doesn't further the discussion in any way. And if the only sentiment you have towards the thread is "OK, you have an opinion." then why post in the thread in the first place?

ShinMaruku

Nothing wrong with not liking a thing. The only issue is if certain parts of the market thinks that's the way to go then you could not be served by the market. I sure was hell don't like GTA or elder scrolls and that's fine. It saves me some money.

This makes me a bad person and/or gamer according to other threads. Of all the major franchises in gaming, it is the one I least understand the popularity of. Before you say, "have you played them", I have. I've played 1, 2, ALTTP, OoT, and Twilight Princess. I've tried to like the series. But every time I play, I'm so bored. Running around poking grass, jars, and chickens with my sword isn't fun. Never ending dungeons that look the same aren't fun. The generic story isn't fun. I just...don't get it. I've tried, more than I have for probably any series I'm not interested in or don't like. Elves and high fantasy stuff aren't cool. Definitely not fun in game form. Someone please explain to me what I'm missing. Or why you also don't like the series.

zeldaout.gif

jk

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
There are also people he's actually conversing with and learning things about the Zelda series from as well. But feel free to continue to ignore that portion of the thread. Or just leave, since you don't seem to want to be in here or discuss anything but the fact that you think this thread isn't needed, even though you just could have ignored it in the first place and never had to look at it at all.

At the very least, if people disagree with someone, you should explain to them why, not post some shitty useless picture that doesn't further the discussion in any way.

And you are adding to the conversation with your last few posts... in what way again? I'm not going to keep responding to you, as I have a feeling this will just feed a pointless cycle of posturing, which you seem more than willing to hypocritically sustain.

The irony is, I don't wholly disagree with the OP. I don't dislike the Zelda series, like he seems to, but I certainly don't think it's the best in the business like so many others do. I just don't think that the way he presented his opinion in the OP was a good jumping off point for discussion.

OP, have you played and/or enjoyed "Zelda-like" games commonly mentioned, such as Darksiders or Okami? They maintain the progression but are decidedly un-Zelda in style and presentation. Curious if it's the world you dislike, or the game style. In which case, no biggie.

I love Darksiders though, so if you don't we can't be friends.

omg_mjd

The only Zelda game I've played is ALBW and I'm currently on the final dungeon. For me the only enjoyable moments in the game are discovering new locations and dungeons, and solving puzzles. And the music...I really like the music. The visual polish and aesthetics are quite evident too.

Everything else feels mediocre and basic. None of the characters I've encountered are interesting. The items are only fun to use the first time. After that they're only a means to an end. Outside of the bosses, combat lacks any challenge and the enemies are forgettable. And the world feels "dead"--every creature I encounter is just a clone of the creature before it that I killed the last time I entered the area. It's like walking through a theme park. Nothing inherently wrong with this video game trope except that it reinforces the weakness of the combat by making every encounter feel like a chore.

If anyone has gotten into Zelda recently and have enjoyed it without the benefit of nostalgia I'd like to hear about it. Maybe I just started with the wrong game.

Zero²

I enjoyed OoT, MM, and WW, but now I've moved on to TES and Darksiders for taking what I did like about the Zelda titles I played, and improving on the areas I thought were lacking. (And not introducing motion controls)
Well I have nothing against motion controls, but you must be hyped that the Zelda U wont have them?

Aroll

This makes me a bad person and/or gamer according to other threads. Of all the major franchises in gaming, it is the one I least understand the popularity of. Before you say, "have you played them", I have. I've played 1, 2, ALTTP, OoT, and Twilight Princess. I've tried to like the series. But every time I play, I'm so bored. Running around poking grass, jars, and chickens with my sword isn't fun. Never ending dungeons that look the same aren't fun. The generic story isn't fun. I just...don't get it. I've tried, more than I have for probably any series I'm not interested in or don't like. Elves and high fantasy stuff aren't cool. Definitely not fun in game form. Someone please explain to me what I'm missing. Or why you also don't like the series.

There is actually nothing wrong with not liking Zelda. There are folks who don't like Mario, don't like Final Fantasy, don't like Call of Duty, don't like Assassin's Creed, and believe it or not... don't like The Last of Us or the Uncharted series. The nice thing about the game industry is there are different strokes for different folks. It's perfectly okay to not like a big gaming series, but I totally understand why you want to like it. Why you tried. For those that do enjoy it, for many it impacted their lives directly or you see the joy they are getting out of just talking about the series and you want to be part of that. You want to feel that excitement or feel that involved in the series. However, sometimes it just isn't for you.

As for what you're missing out on, it's hard to say because you've tried to like the series as much as you have. Elves aren't really what it's about, nor is grass, jars, or chickens. While series staples, no game is actually about those aspects.I can best sum up Zelda as this:

It's about being a kid that against all odds defeats an evil and saves the princess. It's the ultimate little boy child fantasy as it were, saving the girl and defeating something that would otherwise make you crap your pants. It's about going on those adventures you always see in those shows you watch and actually experiencing it yourself and making an impact. The stories are simplistic, the puzzles are generally not that difficult, and the combat/dungeons are always a "like or dislike" ordeal, but at the end of the day it's about being a kid and going out on an adventure. Going back to the story - while simplistic, they often offer life lessons and depending on the game and when you play it, these life lessons have helped many get through different tough parts of life.

In many ways, Zelda is really designed for children with a massively appeal to adults, especially adults who grew up with the series. I liken it to how Neverland was portrayed in the show Once Upon a Time, where it only existed because it was a child's fantasy/dream that he wanted to make a reality as an adult. That's what Zelda is.

It's a pretty hard series I would guess to get into if you didn't grow with the series itself. It's also not for everyone - no game really is.

And you are adding to the conversation with your last few posts... in what way again? I'm not going to keep responding to you, as I have a feeling this will just feed a pointless cycle of posturing, which you seem more than willing to hypocritically sustain.

The irony is, I don't wholly disagree with the OP. I don't dislike the Zelda series, like he seems to, but I certainly don't think it's the best in the business like so many others do. I just don't think that the way he presented his opinion in the OP was a good jumping off point for discussion.
I already added my input to the thread. The thread is never going to take off the way it's supposed to anyway because now it's just going to be full of people who are going to complain about something they had the option to never look at in the first place. What I'm adding to the conversation now are rebuttals to bad arguments that will hopefully either get people to stop complaining and post on topic, or leave the thread so that the people who want to can.

As far as your last paragraph, that's a perfectly fine opinion to have. If everyone voiced their opinion in that way instead of using and quoting pointless memes that don't detail their opinion in any way, maybe the thread could have a clearer purpose and be something even the complainers see as worthwhile.

People keep calling the OP pointless (Even though other people have come in and had a discussion about what's in the OP), but I can't think of anything more pointless then going out of your way to complain about something you never had to deal with in the first place. All it does is shit up the discussion for people who do care.

Dimmle

Qualifying Zelda as high fantasy is a bit of a stretch. Also, outside of certain classic titles, I'm not sure that I'd agree with your assessment on the dungeons looking the same (or "never ending"), either; the different aesthetics are one of the series' draws for me.

Maybe it's just not for you. That's fine. You don't have to be into everything that is popularly regarded as "good."

OP, you're not a bad person for not liking something that is popular. Nothing needs explained to you and there is nothing you need to understand. It's all totally groovy and I'm done paying attention to you :p

Top Bottom