• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I drove 4 hours to see the HTC Vive...

Arulan

On September 8th was the Life & Tech Wearable Tech Expo and Fashion Shows in Toronto, Canada. Given the lack of any east coast sites for the HTC Vive's tour, I decided to journey 4 hours and into another country to try it for myself. Funny enough, I almost didn't make it. The event started at 12:00PM, and after getting a little lost navigating without GPS, I stumbled in at roughly 12:30PM. The HTC representative kindly informed me that all but 3 appointment slots were available, and those were at 8:00PM. Obviously, I took one.

Among the other booths and showcases were a variety of fitness bands, smart watches, smart jump ropes, a meditation feedback device, GPS pet trackers, wearable cameras, and GearVR. A lot of things described as "smart". I decided to try the GearVR again. I had tried it once before, but I literally just walked into a Best Buy, and asked to try it. I didn't have much time before, and there wasn't much installed to try. At this event however, they sat me down, and I tried a Cirque du Soleil experience. As before, I found that even after adjusting the focus wheel it wasn't particularly clear. This is more obvious when you're looking at the white text on black before you start the demo though. As with my prior experience, being able to look around a 3D space, even if limited is interesting, and perhaps even more amazing is the sense of scale. The Marvel Iron Man experience I got to try my first time had you fighting along side of the Hulk, and well, you can really appreciate it the way he towers over you. GearVR was the only VR experience I had tried up until this point.

Onto the HTC Vive... I was guided into one of three rooms in their large truck. The HTC demo lady showed me the basics of the controller: The trigger and track-pad. I put on the headset and was in this tiled-floor white room. In comparison to GearVR the Vive was immediately clear to me. I got familiar with the chaperone system, meaning if you get too close to a wall you see a green wire-grid pattern. She then suspended the controllers in front of me and asked me to take them. I could see them represented in-game, and intuitively grabbed them based on their represented position. I spent a little time blowing balloons out of the left controller, hitting them, and trying to grab them. I then proceeded to try three demos.

The first one placed me underwater on the front area of a sunken ship. I spent some time walking around the deck, and admired the fishes swimming around me. I walked over to the edge and peered into dark abyss below me, and immediately felt vertigo and my legs become weak. I'm not sure how else to describe it, but it was that, anxiety and an urge to step back onto the "safe" part to stabilize myself. At some point a school of mantis rays swam above me. Finally, and I don't remember how I first noticed it, but a giant (blue?) whale started its approach around the front of the ship. You cannot imagine the sense of scale this provided, it was incredibly enormous in size. I was left in awe.

The second placed me in room where I could paint in 3D. The left controller, my left hand, acted as the source for an in-game menu. I used the track-pad to navigate it, and the right controller was sort of like the selector. For instance, I could see a visual representation of a color wheel in my left hand, and my right hand acted as the brush to select it. I began creating shapes in my 3D space, writing out characters, and walking around the room to take it all in from various angles.

The final demo was Valve's Portal experience. You're placed into this room with a desk full of electronic equipment, a couple of drawers on one side of it, and a door hatch. The first thing I noticed was the level of detail on everything. I spent a lot of time just getting really close to objects to appreciate the detail, and exploring my room. After some time I was told to pull out a drawer. I don't want to spoil it, but there is some great Portal-humor involved. Eventually the hatch door opens slightly, and ATLAS and P-body are on the other side. ATLAS comes in and I immediately become aware that he's a lot larger than I imagined. You proceed to open him up, and search for a component, which, at least I failed at, and the pieces fall to the floor. Moments later the tiles of the room's floor start to give way, and that same vertigo feeling came over me as I backed up. GLaDOS then comes down into your room and the scale of it all is again very impressive. She really gets into your space, and you kind of feel invaded, at the very least a sense of uneasiness. Shortly after the room's walls get taken apart, and you're left standing on a platform in the middle of a Aperture Science assembly area. The fact that you're on this platform, with no walls, suspended up high gave me that same feeling of vertigo as before. At one point I thought I was going to lose my balance as I quickly backed away from the edge of the platform. There is an interesting sequence following that which rebuilds your room, and opens the door again to a hallway with a Aperture Science testing "button" and companion cube, only to be demolished in front of you before you can even think about walking forward.

What I haven't yet mentioned in any of this is, is what made this experience one of the most incredible ones I've ever had, and more than made up for the long drive. It's also the one I'm at a loss for how to properly explain. Even from the white-tiled room of the introduction and all the subsequent demos, the feeling of really being there was incredible. The popular term is presence, but that doesn't mean anything until you know what it is. It gives you an overwhelming sense of belonging to the virtual environment. I felt like I could live in those spaces. I came out of the HTC truck in shock of it all. It's one thing to get "sold" on something, but this is unlike anything I've experienced. Above anything else, this is the most important part of everything that I experienced, and unfortunately I don't know how else to describe it. I for one cannot wait until I can have one in my house.

whitehawk

Banned
I got to try the Vive as well, at the very same event! It was incredible. Being able to walk around and interact with the world made VR that much more immersive. I loved blowing up the balloon and hitting them. I could spend way too long doing that.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
God dammit I'm from Toronto and I missed this. I was literally doing nothing yesterday except play MGSV.

How easy did you get in? I decided Monday evening against going after all because I didn't think I'd get to try it due to crowds.

whitehawk

Banned
How easy did you get in? I decided Monday evening against going after all because I didn't think I'd get to try it due to crowds.
You had to get there probably within 30 minutes after noon. There was a pretty big line at 12, and you had to reserve your time slot. There were 3 rooms, with 20 min demos, so they could only do 9 every hour.

Arulan

You had to get there probably within 30 minutes after noon. There was a pretty big line at 12, and you had to reserve your time slot. There were 3 rooms, with 20 min demos, so they could only do 9 every hour.

Yeah. I didn't expect it to be booked out so soon, and I only just made it. Did you experience the same demos?

whitehawk

Banned
Yeah. I didn't expect it to be booked out so soon, and I only just made it. Did you experience the same demos?
Yup. Favourite might have been the underwater one. I would have loved a longer demo like that where you get to explore more of the sea.

SmartBase

How was the field of view, did it feel like you were just peering into the VR world through a window or does the display take up most of your vision?

whitehawk

Banned
How was the field of view, did it feel like you were just peering into the VR world through a window or does the display take up most of your vision?
Certainly something I've been vocal about before about VR. It was better than other VR headsets having an extra 10 degrees fov, but it was still very noticeable. You notice it less once you start focusing on the virtual world around you though. It needs to be addressed eventually though. It doesn't need 180degrees I don't think, but something more than 110.

Every HTC product I've ever owned was a piece of shit, but I enjoyed your impressions

I'm interested in one of those GPS pet trackers though

Psyched for my first VR taste of feeling like I'm somewhere I'm actually not. I'm betting the field of view won't bother me, I grew up gaming on a 13" TV :p

SmartBase

Certainly something I've been vocal about before about VR. It was better than other VR headsets having an extra 10 degrees fov, but it was still very noticeable. You notice it less once you start focusing on the virtual world around you though. It needs to be addressed eventually though. It doesn't need 180degrees I don't think, but something more than 110.

Damn that's disappointing, especially after reading the otherwise positive impressions about it.

If Valve and HTC can make this work, it'll make all that money spent on virtual hats and colorful virtual guns worth it.
What I haven't yet mentioned in any of this is, is what made this experience one of the most incredible ones I've ever had, and more than made up for the long drive. It's also the one I'm at a loss for how to properly explain. Even from the white-tiled room of the introduction and all the subsequent demos, the feeling of really being there was incredible. The popular term is presence, but that doesn't mean anything until you know what it is. It gives you an overwhelming sense of belonging to the virtual environment. I felt like I could live in those spaces. I came out of the HTC truck in shock of it all. It's one thing to get "sold" on something, but this is unlike anything I've experienced. Above anything else, this is the most important part of everything that I experienced, and unfortunately I don't know how else to describe it. I for one cannot wait until I can have one in my house.
I really hope I can get one of these headsets!

Feep

Banned
Had a similar experience at PAX. You kind of downplayed Tilt Brush, but I thought that blew away every other part of the demo. There's no tool or medium in existence that comes close to allowing you to do what Tilt Brush allows you to do. It's simply not possible with physical substances.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
You forgot to wave your hands at the fish and see them swim away from you :(

Underwater was alright
TiltBrush was pretttty cool
Portal demo was very well put together
FOV is at an okay spot, resolution is getting there, needs a bit more of a bump.

I think everyone should try the demos and 4 hours is well worth it.
Omg did you not get to try the cooking demo? That one was so much fun.
They have different setups or 'loops'. I got to try the airplane landing one at PAX too, but no Dota shop or Job Simulator.

Arulan

Had a similar experience at PAX. You kind of downplayed Tilt Brush, but I thought that blew away every other part of the demo. There's no tool or medium in existence that comes close to allowing you to do what Tilt Brush allows you to do. It's simply not possible with physical substances.

I didn't mean to, but yes, I did try to summarize through the content aspect of the demos. In terms of new mechanics or ways in which you can interact it's one of the most creative uses I've seen so far. I would have liked to have spent more time with it.

Omg did you not get to try the cooking demo? That one was so much fun.

Unfortunately no. I've heard of that one, and the Dota 2 secret shop.

I didn't forget, but apparently I did forget to write it in my impressions.

whitehawk

Banned

Underwater was alright
TiltBrush was pretttty cool
Portal demo was very well put together
FOV is at an okay spot, resolution is getting there, needs a bit more of a bump.

I think everyone should try the demos and 4 hours is well worth it.

They have different setups or 'loops'. I got to try the airplane landing one at PAX too, but no Dota shop or Job Simulator.
Yup, it's right on the cusp of being "perfect" (for me). Once we get 4K displays in these bad boys and up the FOV just a little bit, we'll be good.

Soi-Fong

As a developer with the dev kit at our studio, it's awesome to hear these experiences!!! :)

We got some real big news from HTC also, but can't say anything else!

All these positive impressions just makes us want to work even harder!!

Arulan

Do you have any experience with the Oculus? Can you compare the 2?

No, I've only tried the HTC Vive and GearVR so far.

As a developer with the dev kit at our studio, it's awesome to hear these experiences!!! :)

Sounds exciting. I'm looking forward to the "Wild West" period of design, and all the creative ideas that come out of it.

Any tech specs posted for room layout for vive yet? Designing a home cinema, need to make sure I leave room for vive positional sensors.

Nice impressions. Anyone going to EGX this month in the UK? Vive is going to be there. I'm going on the Friday, sadly will miss the Dev talk session on Thursday but its being streamed live on youtube. Oculus made me positively ill, though I'm not sure what version it was it left a bad taste for VR, hoping Vive is different.

Wow you sound excited man congrats on VR development! I can't wait to try it, and I'd love to experiment with it myself in terms of creating stuff. Tilt Brush is my most anticipated experience.

Necro900

I've read many good things about this chaperone system... however, I still can't figure out how they overcame the obvious "physical space" problem.

I get it that whenever you're going to bump into something, you're going to see some wireframe blue lines, or something like that, but what if the game level actually requires you to go forward over that point?

Can you turn your back and pretend you're going forward by travelling through the room again? Even then, that would be annoying.

Or will we get loads of VR games just based off a 15x15 area?

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I read everywhere that one of Vive's strong points is this outstanding sense of presence granted by the ability to move by physically walking, but what's the point if I can't, say, explore large areas of games like Skyrim, Fallout, etc.. ?

Coen

i wouldnt even drive 4 hours to go to my friends wedding

You're not much of a friend

I'm thinking about going to the Paris Games Week to try this out, but I'd be the sole reason to go and I'm not even certain I'd get to try it. I usually can't stand conventions.

I've read many good things about this chaperone system... however, I still can't figure out how they overcame the obvious "physical space" problem.

I get it that whenever you're going to bump into something, you're going to see some wireframe blue lines, or something like that, but what if the game level actually requires you to go forward over that point?

Can you turn your back and pretend you're going forward by travelling through the room again? Even then, that would be annoying.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I read everywhere that one of Vive's strong points is this outstanding sense of presence granted by the ability to move by physically walking, but what's the point if I can't, say, explore large areas of games like Skyrim, Fallout, etc.. ?

Cloudhead's solution to that is Blink.
Hover Junkers has you operating a floating platform.

jcutner

I'm curious about this too, how they'll keep you in the same artificial square, and how that will make it limited.

Mihos

Gold Member

All will be clear soon..... actually the thought of walking from Dawnstar to Windhelm sounds exhausting as hell. I would need to put a rocking horse in my room. How 'hills' are handled will be more interesting. I can imagine how I will look trying to hop up the side of a mountain.

Arulan

That's one of the problems VR will have to design around, and there are already clever solutions. The problem apparently isn't only the limited physical space, but that "walking" when you're not actually walking, such as with an analogue stick will break presence and likely cause you to become sick. A few solutions I've seen involve using a transportation vehicle to move you between to other areas. For instance, you could imagine a golf game, where you have your 15x15ft. area, but when you want to move forward, such as to follow your shot, you hop onto a segway, or a golf cart. Another example is to use a blink system, where you point to where you want to be at it, and teleport there into the new space. You could use elevators, escalators, or moving platforms to move between rooms. I'm sure there are going to be a lot of creative methods to address it and tailor games to these limitations.

I think depending on how much you're willing to spend on having an ideal VR setup you can possibly overcome this issue with an omnidirectional treadmill.

I plan on getting both a Virtuix Omni and a Cyberith Virtualizer as well as any other competitors that come out with products, but here's a video showing how it works with "shoehorned" functionality, meaning that's in use with a non vr game rather than a game designed from the ground up with this peripheral in mind.

http://youtu.be/QZEnjwUqc4M

DirtyLarry

I have been fortunate enough to grow up with video game technology pretty much my entire life. My first introduction was the PONG console in 1978-ish and it has been on ever since.
Truly and sincerely I have never been this excited for a new leap in technology as I am for VR. I fortunately already have a dedicated "office" room in my house and my wife has already agreed to let me do whatever I need to do to set it up to accommodate whatever VR solution I wound up going with.
Thanks for this impression. It has just made me that much more excited.
I cannot f'ing wait.

When the HELL are HTC and Oculus going to start showing this shit off in places OTHER than the US and Canada? Us Aussies want to experience this stuff too!

Permanently A

Is there a place online where I can find where to experience VR? I wasn't thinking about it much but your post really got me excited.

Arulan

You a Michigan bro, Arulan? :D

Might have to hook up sometime this winter if I get my hands on a Vive, I tell you what

Upstate New York unfortunately. I'll be in San Antonio sometime early next year though. I can't wait, but I also need to build a new PC, and I'd like to wait for Pascal. It'll be a rough few months.

Arulan

Is there a place online where I can find where to experience VR? I wasn't thinking about it much but your post really got me excited.

I would follow their twitter. They'll announce where they're planning on stopping next. It appears they'll be in Boston on the 12th.

https://twitter.com/htcvive

There is also a GAF thread which stays up-to-date.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1078025&page=4

I don't know of Oculus has announced anything yet, but I have to imagine they'll start showing it more to the public next year.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Above anything else, this is the most important part of everything that I experienced, and unfortunately I don't know how else to describe it. I for one cannot wait until I can have one in my house.

I can't wait to get one in my house either OP. It sounds awesome.

Top Bottom