• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I feel like I'm the only gamer that doesn't get Metal Gear Solid

batrush

I'm a big fan of the MGS universe, but I'm wondering for those of you who don't like the story, what games do you think have a good story?

Steins;Gate and the Zero Escape series. Suikoden 2 and Witcher 3 for non-VNs.

I wouldn't be surprised to find that most who attack gaming as a storytelling medium haven't played many video games outside of the usual mainstream titles.

I get why people enjoy it, but I've never really been able to get into it because the controls have always seemed insane to me. But with Ground Zeroes and TPP making improvements there, I might check it out. I've picked up enough of the story through osmosis over the years that I think it might work out.

PooBone

I don't enjoy or watch anime, and I felt like the OP until MGS4 came out and I gave it another honest try. You have to kinda give yourself over to the ridiculous natures.

The stories are long-winded and at times silly, sure, but they're fucking amazing.

Because the writing is on a level with those self published fantasy novels that you find on Kindle unlimited.

Engaging writing is engaging writing, saying it's good for a video game is just admitting that video game writing is shit , but this is just a little less shitty.

Given the modern budgets of games it's utterly baffling that games still lack in this area.
So really the argument here is 'video games have shitty writing' not 'metal gear is shitty'.

Going back through metal gear solid 2 the other day, I have to admit it is full of inane plot twists, horrid voice acting and generally bad dialogue. It also has a more interesting premise and ideas than any other game in existence. It really is social commentary at its finest, wrapped in b movie schlock. I adore it.

From what I've seen, I don't really get how this series is still big in the main stream. Not because it's bad, but because especially most things I got from 4 would seem like a pretty hard sell in the west (wth are these fanservice photo boss fights? Overly long cutscenes with a major character literally carrying a turd in his pants?).

I mostly play Japanese games, but Kojima's style is especially awkward, maybe because he's mixing anime shit with somewhat realistic art while blatantly ripping off hollywood movies. I guess I might even see it as a good thing that something different can still sell well, although I personally probably wouldn't be fond of these narratives. Kojima's apparent love for excrements isn't especially appealing, nor the awkward fan service and again mixture of random movie pieces and American history with shit like Raiden, that sticks out like a sore thumb.

If I liked stealth more, I might have still further checked it out though. Rising was cool, but that was at least full blown anime (and I still skipped many cutscenes). On the other hand, the horrid gameplay of ZoE2 also made me more hesitant of other Kojima gameplay.

^It's a common misconception that everything Kojima Productions ever made was done by Kojima. Kojima never touched the game design, planning, writing or direction for ZOE2, he just "produced" it. Same goes for their other titles like AC!D, Boktai and Rising (which was Platinum Games and written by one guy from Koji Pro).

Oh there are more than one of those. Assuming you are being snarky, they came long before MGS on PS1, and the earlier Metal Gear games didn't do nearly as much for advancing the writing in gaming during the MSX era as others did. I respect the franchise and its accomplishments, but don't try and make it the sole advancement of building stories in gaming. Because it had a shitload of help with that.

I agree. Adventure game genre was around long before MGS ever was. But Metal Gear Solid 1 did help to advance/inspire the presentation of storytelling in games that didn't normally focus on narrative, especially in the action adventure genre. MGS1 did set the benchmark for the use of cutscenes in games at the time and definitely popularised the use of cutscenes in games. Before MGS1, I remember a lot of PSX games featuring really bad voice acting or just long text scrolls to show the story. The presentation at that time was pretty bad from Japanese developers on PSX.

Oh there are more than one of those. Assuming you are being snarky, they came long before MGS on PS1, and the earlier Metal Gear games didn't do nearly as much for advancing the writing in gaming during the MSX era as others did. I respect the franchise and its accomplishments, but don't try and make it the sole advancement of building stories in gaming. Because it had a shitload of help with that.

You catch on to snark pretty well, but not onto qualifiers that can keep us from ending up in an adventure game wankfest about hilarious Monkey Island scenes that line up with games "that take it lightly or sort of side step it by not taking themselves seriously at all" routine, or some hilarious attempt to make it seem like text-heavy rpgs that predate Planescape and Baldur's Gate were games that'd make a bard jealous.

If only Metal Gear Solid had done something for games other than set them back to the dark ages with it's terrible writing. Clear embarrassment to everything that came before that it is. There was so much direct competition at the forefront of mainstream gaming that profoundly altered the amount of attention the industry and consumers paid to everything from the story, to writing, voice acting, to cut scenes, to dialogue that can comprise storytelling. There was Blood Omen, and uh... Soul Reaver? Those set the industry on fire. Can't forget um... Blazing Dragons?

Marakh101

Neo Member
I think people focus too much on "Story".
I love MGS to death but it's not because the plot is amazing or anything, it's just that I'm attached to the characters because they are developed and attaching.
I personally don't know any games that have characters as complex, especially the villains.

Apathy

You don't have to be a fan of everything out there. No one is going to get upset if you don't like something, it's just your taste. As long as you dont bother others about it then no one should bother you about it. Take life easy is my motto.

You don't have to be a fan of everything out there. No one is going to get upset if you don't like something, it's just your taste. As long as you dont bother others about it then no one should bother you about it. Take life easy is my motto.

Your codename suits you well.

Cipherr

I agree. Adventure game genre was around long before MGS ever was. But Metal Gear Solid 1 did help to advance/inspire the presentation of storytelling in games that didn't normally focus on narrative, especially in the action adventure genre.

Absolutely I have said as much in previous posts on this topic and that game in particular in the past. I wasn't taking away from what it did, but merely putting to rest the idea that it was the sole torch bearer for advancements of the like.

You catch on to snark pretty well, but not onto qualifiers that can keep us from ending up in an adventure game wankfest about hilarious Monkey Island scenes that line up with games "that take it lightly or sort of side step it by not taking themselves seriously at all" routine, or some hilarious attempt to make it seem like text-heavy rpgs that predate Planescape and Baldur's Gate were games that'd make a bard jealous.

If only Metal Gear Solid had done something for games other than set them back to the dark ages with it's terrible writing. Clear embarrassment to everything that came before that it is. There was so much direct competition at the forefront of mainstream gaming that profoundly altered the amount of attention the industry and consumers paid to everything from the story, to writing, voice acting, to cut scenes, to dialogue that can comprise storytelling. There was Blood Omen, and uh... Soul Reaver? Those set the industry on fire. Can't forget um... Blazing Dragons?

You need to organize your thoughts or drop the snark altogether. Your second paragraph starts with two sentences referencing statements I never made, and the rest is so drenched in tryhard wittiness that I truly cannot decipher what in the hell your point is.

I think people focus too much on "Story".
I love MGS to death but it's not because the plot is amazing or anything, it's just that I'm attached to the characters because they are developed and attaching.
I personally don't know any games that have characters as complex, especially the villains.

Story comes up in discussions about Metal Gear, because its gameplay, design, polish and even soundtracks are pristine, and have been for some time now. It has as far as I'm concerned a single flaw. And that's the writing. Its kind of like trying to discuss MK8 from a critical perspective and expecting that weak ass battle mode to not be mentioned.

Its nearly impossible.

referencing statements I never made

I genuinely struggle to think of any. Most of the ones that do a good job are the ones that take it lightly or sort of side step it by not taking themselves seriously at all.

Hey, though. If you're not talking about adventure games or rpgs from the 80's and early 90's when you say MGS didn't do anything that wasn't already done in regards to writing once being just a footnote in games, then feel free to shine a light on that deep cavern of unknown gems that make MGS look like a step backwards in 1998.

NinjaBoiX

I don't enjoy or watch anime, and I felt like the OP until MGS4 came out and I gave it another honest try. You have to kinda give yourself over to the ridiculous natures.

The stories are long-winded and at times silly, sure, but they're fucking amazing.
This is the main issue for me, the characters are all so ridiculously loquacious. I wouldn't care if it was because there is so much story to tell, but it's not. It's that they seem to just go round and round in circles, reiterating the same banal plot points and meandering tangents. And then you get to the end and after all that effort and patience it's all just a load of convoluted, nonsensical, grade school bullshit.

Urgh, I'm just immediately like "skip" on every cut scene with this series, couldn't be less interested. It just doesn't resonate with me in the least.

Cipherr

Hey, though. If you're not talking about adventure games or rpgs from the 80's and early 90's when you say MGS didn't do anything that wasn't already done in regards to writing once being just a footnote in games, then feel free to shine a light on that deep cavern of unknown gems that make MGS look like a step backwards in 1998.

Okay so its reading comprehension then. Or you just honestly missed a post. The second quote of mine you are hanging there was in response to someone asking what games I have played that I consider having good stories. (Notice how I quoted someone?)

You are also mixing and matching statements across posts poorly. I never said MGS didn't do anything that wasn't already done in regards to writing before in gaming. I did however make that statement about the metal gear on MSX which predated Metal Gear Solid on the PSX, and I stand by it having played through it several times.

I also never said or implied that MGS was a step backwards in any way shape or form. Fall back soldier.

Apathy

Your codename suits you well.

XHyU4qW.jpg

:D

I'm glad I got MGS V free (video card), that's what I'll say. I did the prologue and first mission, and it's like I'm playing a different game from the people that love it. No biggie.

Top Bottom