• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I had a sleep paralysis the other day and I felt a presence in my room

From what I (hardly) remember, your brain is on hyper alert and it'll perceive almost anything as a danger like shadows or whatever is just out of view.

Forget the details but if you look it up you'll get an answer.

Alebrije

Do not worry OP , it was just a friendly spirit

200_s.gif

Happens too often to me: I sometimes feel the bed moving up and down, weird presences, coldness, wind that goes into the bed... but somehow when I realize I'm having one of this episodes I try to talk and eventually I can regain control of my body.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I saw a red glowing thing flowing across the room. Since I lost weight and more or less ended my sleep apnea I haven't had this dream

Richie

I've often wondered, what if you had someone awake lying at your side who had perfect timing and physically shook you while your paralysis was going? Would it snap you out of it immediately? What if they stood up around the room, would you see the hallucinations reacting to them?

I used to have sleep paralysis all the time as a teen. Always when I slept on my belly and once while on my back. I've also seen and felt a presence in the room. Terrifying as SHIT. I've also had lots of paranormal stuff happen to me (such as seeing the Hat Man in my bedroom after a night of ghost hunting in the cemetary) but that's for another thread.
Tell me more!

DonShula

I've often wondered, what if you had someone awake lying at your side who had perfect timing and physically shook you while your paralysis was going? Would it snap you out of it immediately? What if they stood up around the room, would you see the hallucinations reacting to them?

This has happened to me. You just wake up. Pretty much any external stimuli can wake you up in these cases (physical touch, loud noise, etc). At least that's been my experience. You wake up breathing heavily and feeling relieved.

DonShula

Awhile back I started reading about other people's experiences (like those in this thread) and found that I've been lucky. I've had sleep paralysis numerous times, but it only ever happens during daytime naps in a sunlit room, and I have never seen an "apparition" or anything similar. I've never experienced it during a normal sleep time, and since it only happens for me in certain circumstances, I can completely avoid it now. I thought for sure after reading about these spirit type things that my next sleep paralysis would include one (I'd never even heard of them before!) but it hasn't happened yet.

Anteater

I've actually wanted to camcord myself to see how stupid I must've looked in sleep paralysis when I'm trying to move my limbs while shaking heavily

McLovin

People don't realize this but when your going through sleep paralysis your half awake half asleep. It's almost like thinking you woke up but your still dreaming but not all the way. When I was fat I would get sleep paralysis at least once a day. After a while I started to notice that stuff I watched on tv or was thinking about would pop in. I even noticed presences, it's just in your head trust me.
Fun story I saw the ring chick more then once, after I figured it out and it happened again I was like 🙄Dis bitch

finowns

People don't realize this but when your going through sleep paralysis your half awake half asleep. It's almost like thinking you woke up but your still dreaming but not all the way. When I was fat I would get sleep paralysis at least once a day. After a while I started to notice that stuff I watched on tv or was thinking about would pop in. I even noticed presences, it's just in your head trust me.
Fun story I saw the ring chick more then once, after I figured it out and it happened again I was like 🙄Dis bitch

Yup, I realized this too. I would think that my eyes were open and I was seeing my room and couldn't move. It took me awhile to recognize I was still dreaming but somewhat aware of myself.

Boke1879

The worst part of it is the sense of dread you feel. Like not only that you're going to die, but wiped away from existence and trapped in an endless void that your soul experiences for an eternity.

I quite often get vivid weird hopefully hallucinations when I wake up, although thankfully I don't get any of he paralysis most people do.

Last Tuesday I woke up and found the room glowing weirdly, sat up and found what I can only describe as a spikey, glowing cream and purple demonic octopus thing glaring at me and making threats about killing my fiancée and pets. I told it to fuck off or I'd rip it to pieces, and it sort of phased through my wall and disappeared.

On other occasions I've woken up to see massive spiders crawling up and through my ceiling, a massive hole in my wall exposing a staircase wreathed in glowing mist, a woman in Victorian clothing floating about a meter above me that got super freaked out and suddenly winked out of existence after I waved my arm through her, and lots of fun sounds of talking, footsteps running through my house and doors slamming.

While I know logically it's all just in my head, and hallucinations from where I'm not quite awake, the few times weird stuff has happened that either I was fully awake to see, out of the house, or that other people I've been with have also seen, does make me worry occasionally.

RMI

Banned
Ahhhhhh another sleep paralysis thread. I haven't had an episode in a while and am really happy about that.

CrocoDuck

I had a very, very, similar experience like you, OP. For years I thought I had an alien encounter, until I discovered that it was sleep paralysis. Terrifying stuff.

The worst is when that segues into a cycle of lucid dreaming, where you realize you're you have sleep paralysis and are hallucinating, only to induce yourself waking up into another layer of sleep paralysis, until that happens about four times in a row before you use the bathroom to try and clear your head as your heart races.

I had this three or four times a week for a month after starting a prescription allergy medication. I had to be macho about it in order to deal with cat hair.

quesalupa

I had a transition from a dream to sleep paralysis last night. I was fitting in a cockroach covered in the Spiderman symbiote in the dream and that transitioned to a short sleep paralysis where I felt the demon calling all over me.

Only remember it happen once to me, though instead of a demon sitting on your bed or something it was some eldritch tentacle abomination slowly boring through the ceiling just above my bed as I was watching petrified in horror.

rec0ded1

Fuck it I'm going against rational thought since I'm drunk. Demons have attempted to recruit you since this shit has been escalating. You either push back or join. :p

I've had a few times where this has occured. More so when I was a kid and I didn't understand what was happening so I would be scared out of my mind. For me it tended to be a tall dark shadowy figure. It even haunted me in my dreams. The last time I had it happen was when I was 20. My bedroom door was a curtain and it was right by the front door. From 1-4 am, I was trapped in sleep paralysis where I saw a tall dark shadowy figure enter my front door and walk around the house, and entering my room. As it began to get brighter outside around 4 am, it went back out the front door and I snapped out of the sleep paralysis.

I had sleep paralysis and it was really nice. No visions or anything like that, I was just kind of stuck there, and trying to move produced an.... it's kind of hard to describe, but there was a kind of frission that felt like I was moving like a centimeter before being locked into place, and it felt pretty good, like a warm glow.

Mind, I generally like the feeling of being immobile, so that probably impacted it.

I had once it was easily the most frightening (and painful) experience of my life.
I sincerly feel bad for the people who have to endure repeating this awful experience more than once.

Ronin

It hasn't happened in a while but I usually experience it in the very early morning and I end up on my back. The times I experienced feeling something present, it was always out of sight. Like right in the corner of my sight.

It's not scary anymore though. Just annoying and I just ride it out.

BasilZero

Had one few months ago though I kinda fought out of it and was able to move a bit but it was weird...felt really numb as soon as I was able to lift my arm but went back to sleep and it was normal after a few minutes.

n31.jpg

Never experienced it myself but I am fascinated by these experiences. Has a long tradition in art and culture and almost certainly behind some of the myths and stories of succubi, witches and ghosts.
I had a brother-in-law who had an experience of sleep paralysis where he could see an old man leaning over his bed. I guess he was in his early 30's when that happened. Don't know if it ever happened again.

Lum1n3s

There was a very interesting thread a while ago with many shared experiences:
http://neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1359010
Oh hey, good times lol. Yeah I experienced it and my version wasn't fun, welcome to the club OP. Shit can haunt you for a while but I managed to get over it now. Happened to me a second time and it actually felt more tranquil than the first time yet annoying as well. Got to thank the countless experiences that were shared in that thread. :)

Apt101

Watch The Nightmare on Netflix. You'll love it.

I get sleep paralysis once in a blue moon. I used to get it constantly, really mild, as a kid. The last time I got it I could feel wind blowing on me, and someone was right behind my head screaming nonsensible things at me (I was sleeping face down). Spooky.

Alienfan

I enjoy it, you've just got to learn to turn it into a lucid dream.

The times when you no only feel a presence in the room, but the presences speaks and touches you are freaky. The human brain is a beautiful thing. Sleeping on your stomach and sticking to a normal healthy sleeping schedule all help

I get SP now and then, but the most notable time was when I saw a shadow person. i was limb in bed trying to move and a shadow figure hovered towards me and tried to lift my hand, I remember trying to punch the fucker but could not move. When I over came it , I called my gf so fucking quickly and jumped onto Google to discover I'm not the only one to experience that.

Well I didn't got one today that is great but it looks like a lot of people have them, do we know why?

Long story short while you're in deep REM your brain secretes a neurotransmitter that inhibits muscle movement so you don't physically act out your dreams and hurt yourself while you're unconscious. It's an evolutionary hangover from when our primate ancestors slept in more tenuous positions (like trees or caves). This is also why you sometimes experience that falling feeling and jerk yourself awake when you're first falling asleep, interestingly enough.

Anyway so in some people it's more likely than others but everyone has the potential for it to happen when you wake up and interrupt your REM cycle before the neurotransmitter has time to clear your system. So basically half of your brain is still in REM dreaming and the other half is awake but unable to control your motor functions. The resulting panic makes your adrenal gland switch on and so you're paralyzed but hyper-aware and your brain interprets everything - shadows, objects, shapes, leftover images from dreams - as a threat and makes you panic.

I've only ever had one episode, it was a classic hag vision that basically followed me out of a nightmare I was having about a creepy mannequin. I've been scared of ever having sleep paralysis so I knew what it was and was able to get over it pretty quickly, the paralysis itself lasted only a few seconds after I woke up thankfully. I'm grateful I'm not particularly prone to it.

I'll second watching "The Nightmare" if you're interested in the subject, it's pretty accurate.

I've had sleep paralysis and night terrors my whole life. The worst combo was one night I "awoke" to paralysis and saw the shadow guy coming into my room along side my bed. I couldn't move but instead of panicking I thought "Not tonight, fucker" and pushed myself up on my elbows and kicked him the fuck in the face, then I chased him down the hallway trying to kick his ass.

Well actually in reality I started shrieking and kicked the wall in my room so hard I broke two toes. When my wife caught up to me in the hallway I was running back and forth shrieking and yelling incomprehensibly.

Then I woke up and took one step back towards the bedroom and fell over in pain from the toes.

G-Bus

Banned
Never had it. Seen a few threads over the years about this and it's always fascinated me. Honestly wouldn't mind experiencing it for myself.

Top Bottom