• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I hate Windows 10 (ranting)

Ok, I just need to vent. I was a long supporter of Microsoft products, but Windows 10 is one of the worst OS I ever work with.

So today I need to do a critical job on my notebook that would take 45 minutes. So I turned it on, started the ONLINE program and so... After 10 minutes a message pop saying the Windows need to restart to apply updates, giving me an option to restart now or delay it for 15 minutes "to save my work". Chose the delay imagining that I could delay it again, but noooo after 15 minutes, 25 after starting my test, another message pops saying rebooting. And it already passed another 15 minutes and the thing still "rebooting".

Fuck MS. Don't you know that some things cannot be saved/paused?

As bad as Microsoft is at times, they actually fixed this problem. Unfortunately in your case, the IT department didn't install the Creator's Update.

Were you not able to postpone it a second time? I've never encountered an issue with updates forcing me to restart while I was using my PC.

Windows 10 is my favorite Windows OS.

Creator Update is installed. This fuck continues.

No, I was not able to postpone it and it is still applying the update. Posting from my phone.

I still cannot turn off my lock screen. Annoys the heck out of me because of how bloody unnecessary it is. I find some fix online (registry, group policy etc) and some update brings it back.

Furyous

I thought they fixed all of this. Anywhoo, I switched over 11 years ago and don't have these problems. My shit works and I'm happy. Those random errors aren't something I get anymore thank god. The update process for me is check the app store, install, and reboot depending on the app. After that everything works on restart.

I hate this POS too man. Still getting no end of stupid shit like slow boots, memory leak, failure to read a drive, failure to boot a USB device. The other day my GF wanted to play a game on her PC but DVR kicked in due to the update. It took almost 10 minutes to create a damn account just to get into that stupid Xbox app and turn the fucker off.

The sooner someone dethrones MS from the OS industry the better.

Coworker had his machine reboot similarly and it fucked the VM he was in the middle of running. Windows 10 is a pain but at least uninstalling Cortana completely is nigh impossible.

The pop up ads from my OS were enough to make me dual install Ubuntu.

While you can't kill her all together you can completely hide her from yourself by adding a value in the HKEY_LOCALMACHINE in the registry. IIRC you follow the windows folders until you reach a dead end or find a folder called windows search, if it doesn't exist make the folder then add a 32bit D Word called allow cortana and set the value to 0. If you're gonna try it though double check as this is just off memory.

jay

Coworker had his machine reboot similarly and it fucked the VM he was in the middle of running. Windows 10 is a pain but at least uninstalling Cortana completely is nigh impossible.

The pop up ads from my OS were enough to make me dual install Ubuntu.

Sydle

No option to schedule for later? Ever since the creator's update I've seen the option to schedule updates for later.

Mivey

As bad as Microsoft is at times, they actually fixed this problem. Unfortunately in your case, the IT department didn't install the Creator's Update.
Can't blame them. None of the big updates for Windows 10 worked for me without having to reinstall it. Always crashed (like bluescreen) during the "normal" upgrade process, both on my gaming PC and the side OS of my laptop.
Sysadmins have enough crap to do not to torture themselves with this.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
That is so weird dude, I have never had forced restart for an update. But I can understand why it would be frustrating as hell when you are doing an important work.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Disable the Windows update service. I think that still works at least in Enterprise.

Maybe it's because I run Enterprise but it's never forced me to reboot for an update.

In any case Microsoft's handling of updates has been abysmal forever, so I'm not sure why you'd use 10 if you weren't okay with it in 8.1...8...7...vista...xp....etc.

gamz

I had barely any issues like some of you and I have been in preview day 1. It's been rock solid for a year now. The only issue I've had was with Edge on the last update with copy and pasting. The new update seemed to fix it.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Disable the Windows update service. I think that still works at least in Enterprise.
This is terrible advice and how the most recent malware hacks got propagated.

OP is your computer controlled by an IT department? If so, tough shit, update when the updates get pushed. If not there is an option in windows updates to defer major updates while still getting security patches.

Ultratech

That's nothing new...you CAN keep postponing the Updates, but it WILL reboot eventually whether you want it to or not.

I've had this happen on my laptop before, so it was kinda annoying.

teh_pwn

This is terrible advice and how the most recent malware backs got propagated.

OP is your computer controlled by an IT department? If so, tough shit, update when the updates get pushed. If not there is an option in windows updates to defer major updates while still getting security patches.

I update manually every couple of days. For some web applications you need weeks of uptime and the idea of mandatory updates is not acceptable at all.

This is terrible advice and how the most recent malware hacks got propagated.

No, private computer, working from home, not within or for a company. But it is over now, till the next frustration.

Luminaire

I hate that my wifi suspiciously stops working when an update is pending. Restarts and troubleshoot don't fix it. Weird how updating makes it magically work again and it's fine for weeks. Never had that problem before I put 10 on my laptop.

diehard

Fleer
I update manually every couple of days. For some web applications you need weeks of uptime and the idea of mandatory updates is not acceptable at all.

If you need weeks of uptime on a Windows based machine, you should probably be using Windows Server.

Hexa

You can delay it by a couple days. And then when it comes up again you can delay it by a couple days again. I'm not sure how often you can do that, but I've never run into not being able to. I think you have to open it up from the notification menu to do that though, as it doesn't seem to give you that option in the popup.

DonShula

I've had it reboot without asking me first a couple times. Have all updates installed.

After I installed Acrobat DC it rebooted without asking, and when it came back up, I got a notification saying Windows had detected a change in PDF association and changed it back to Edge (LOLEdge should be a hashtag) automatically.

Oh and today, out of nowhere after a cold boot, I had no date and time in the task bar. Just blank space. Had to click the blank space when I wanted to check the time.

So many things about Win10 have been half-assed.

Nevasleep

Windows 7 was probably the last 'good guy Microsoft' operating system.
10 is pretty good though, but it's clear that marketing/business product managers have too much input.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
You realize what you just said contradicts yourself? You update every couple of days but need weeks of uptime for a web app?

Sounds like A you need a server
B need to learn patch schedule. MS typically only releases patches on the second Tuesday of the month. So updating every couple of days is pointless.

teh_pwn

You realize what you just said contradicts yourself? You update every couple of days but need weeks of uptime for a web app?

Sounds like A you need a server
B need to learn patch schedule. MS typically only releases patches on the second Tuesday of the month. So updating every couple of days is pointless.

Yeah, hosts of the web applications don't update but every several weeks with the exception of ransomware outbreaks. It's on a secure network. For personal use at home I disable so I don't have my laptop waking me up and the wife with notification jingles at 3 am after an auto update and reboot.

Basically I'm using 10 because RDP is seamless. If I lose the ability to disable update I'm switching to Linux.

After endless installing and rebooting, that fancy 'Creator's Update' made bootup and the whole login process slow as molasses.Thank god I only have to use that rubbish like twice a week.

LQX

My biggest issue is that no matter what you doing there is chance windows may restart and update your PC if you're not watching it if you do remember to delay it manually. You could be downloading something, working on your life's work...it just does not give a fuck. And the irony is it tells you not to interrupt the update process but they just restarted my fucking PC in the middle of my work. They really should have also came up with some sort of automatic save process or state with this thing.

Apath

By far the worst OS I've ever used in my life. I had less issues with Windows ME.

Giant popups for updates, giant popup advertising Skype, just all around BS everywhere. I sold my Surface Pro 4 and bought a Mac. Probably never going back.

XOMTOR

I need to build a new PC one of these days but Windows 10 has me dreading it; I hate that OS as much as you do OP. Does 8.1 work on the newest CPUs?

Mistle

I still cannot turn off my lock screen. Annoys the heck out of me because of how bloody unnecessary it is. I find some fix online (registry, group policy etc) and some update brings it back.
This pisses me off so much. I make heaps of small tweaks in the registry and windows update sometimes reverts it all. Uggh

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
The latest update has caused my mouse to sporadically stop working. It's... SLIGHTLY annoying. Argh.

Apath

This pisses me off so much. I make heaps of small tweaks in the registry and windows update sometimes reverts it all. Uggh
So wait, this is more of the same old Windows 10 being absolute garbage? I thought I was just being dumb because I continually failed at disabling it.

My laptop is in a bootloop because of an update in June. Still haven't got it fixed but I'm still angry over how the update fucked my computer.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
My laptop is in a bootloop because of an update in June. Still haven't got it fixed but I'm still angry over how the update fucked my computer.
My PC, too. Boot up. Can't boot up. Boot up. Can't boot up.

Fortunately, I was able to reinstall Windows.

Unfortunately, it removed all my files. 😱😱😱🤕

Fucking Windows 10.

Now I can't disable Cortana or web searching when using the start menu. Like, what the fuck?

Besides rebooting whenever it damn well pleases, the thing that shits me the most is that the search functionality is totally useless. Completely fails to find files and applications I KNOW are there, no matter how I tweak the indexing.

Ronabo

Yep, I ran into the spinning circle of death yesterday because of the update. Thanks Microsoft.

I only had a Windows 8.1 disc so I couldn't do anything with the disc to fix it. I found a solution on another forum that thankfully got me into the Win 10 repair menu. I had to reinstall Windows and lost my installed programs, but not any personal files. Nice thing was it made a html file that listed all the programs that were uninstalled.

Worst OS I've ever used.

The Creator's Update messed up my Dell Inspiron. It doesn't shut down or boot up properly, even though Dell says its compatible and is updated to the latest BIOS/firmware, and when it does boot up half the time the USB ports don't work. I put off the update on my SP4 until yesterday when it wouldn't let me postpone anymore. I'm half expecting it to be a brick when I try to use it today.

Up until a few months ago I was a fan of Windows 10, but I'm thinking that I won't be buying any Windows laptops again. The only thing I really need it for is digital art and hopefully in 1-2 years the iPad art apps will be improved, heck, even Chrome/Android might be improved by then.

Had a very smooth Windows 10 experience. But after switching to OS X recently, I'm astounded at how horribly MS handles the update experience compared to this. It's crazy

Top Bottom