• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I hate Windows 10 (ranting)

bitbydeath

Windows 10 was the main catalyst in my moving over towards macOS.

God it was bad.

Same MacOS is a fucking godsend, should have moved over years ago.

I think Apple tend to clean house a bit more though where as Windows just keeps building up and out which is why MacOS is by far more stable and user friendly.

snap

Banned
Yes, I know the difference between kernel updates, which do require restarts, and application updates, which (generally) don't. Moreover, you don't need to comment on my lack of awareness re: software programming. Thanks, but no.

In any case, I was simply talking about focusing on each active program in userland and requiring the user to terminate that process. In other words, save or quit. It's not hard; it wouldn't be complicated. Hell, query the last input; if the user hasn't been active in n seconds, go for it, sure. If s/he has, recognize that someone's there and allow them to wind down their workflow.

The ticking timebomb countdowns signaling restarts, which I experience regularly at work (yes, I blame the IT department) are unconscionable.

If you give users the ability to go back and revisit a program with the idea of letting them save their work and quit, they will, without a doubt, abuse that privilege and pretend that they don't have to restart.

You put a time limit on that and threads like these will still exist, just instead with people complaining that Windows only gave them ten minutes to save everything before restarting.

Plus, if you do the thing where you check if the user has been active for the past several minutes, you'll have the same people saying "I left my computer on with my work open and it restarted wtf!!!!!" because you can't assume a computer not actively being used is one you can safely restart. (It's why they introduced the active hours thing--that's a far better way to judge if a computer's safe to restart because the user can define when not to restart the computer, but they're not allowed to set the entire day).

Really, complaining about the ticking timebomb--all software on the scale of Windows where most of the users fail to comprehend on how it works and how best to organize workflow to both stay secure and at high efficiency, you have to make the assumption that the user cannot be trusted and must be given as little ability as possible to create loopholes around stuff like this. Heck, I work at a division of IBM where we handle server software, and over the last few weeks we've had division heads continually reminding people saying "hey we still have servers with SMBv1 enabled why is this happening we thought we told you guys to disable it weeks ago" and those are people who write server management software for a living.

Like this is why I questioned your familiarity with software programming, you can never trust the user to work with you and install updates when they should or not insert sql commands into your online forms, etc, etc. That is something you learn very early on.

Is that really so much to ask tho? It's so nice to has machines that can stay up and update without restarting for as long as I want. (Which has been up to a few months at a time.) I'm used to using them without those kind of interruptions now. Seems like a basic feature.

I don't think there's a single OS out there that can update every part of itself without restarting. Google's introducing something in the next version Android that might be able to do something like that? Not sure.

If you choose to get Windows 10, it's pretty much your own fault. I'll stick with Windows 7 as long as possible for instance and will see what I do afterwards.

the win7 stans are almost as bad as the winxp stans back when win7 first hit the scene. fine the last windows release was a little rough, but refusing to update now that there's a better windows version out that brings forth updates you probably actually would make use of doesn't make you smart, it just makes you stubborn.

For whatever reason, the active hours appear to be ignored sometimes for some people and/or some updates. Assuming at least some people aren't lying or confused.

Yep, just had something like this happen to me. Windows asked me to update last night, I chose ask me again later, put the PC to sleep (it was late, I was going to bed). But then when I woke up in the morning Windows had closed everything and rebooted itself anyway.

Not the end of the world in this case, though I did have a Windows update brick my mom's laptop a few weeks back. Getting to repair that mess was fun.

I like using the OS quite a bit, but the update business being so bad is completely incomprehensible.

Windows 10 is officially the Wolf Blitzer of operating systems.

07242013+AC360+Wolf+in+for+AC.JPG

Windows 10 can go fuck itself in a ball pit.

Future

So many people use Windows on so many different pieces of hardware. Sometimes someone is gonna get fucked up. Restart that shit at night if you can and stay up to date.

Everyone hates forced restarts. But that shits gonna happen or else you will be complaining about Windows getting hacked. Windows could be better at resuming everything as it was post restart though. Still don't know why that just doesn't happen: got 8 programmed open? Hit restart, close all windows automatically, save all their states regardless of you hit "save", restart and reopen all windows exactly as you left it. Why doesn't that fuckin happen by now

My Windows 10 experience has been fine. Only bullshit is the OS itself just still not being friendly at doing what I want

There was an update that my PC went through at 9:12PM today while I was outside and restarted my computer while I was running a disk check on an external HDD, was about 30% of the way through when I went out and needed several more hours to complete. -_-

snap

Banned
So many people use Windows on so many different pieces of hardware. Sometimes someone is gonna get fucked up. Restart that shit at night if you can and stay up to date.

Everyone hates forced restarts. But that shits gonna happen or else you will be complaining about Windows getting hacked. Windows could be better at resuming everything as it was post restart though. Still don't know why that just doesn't happen: got 8 programmed open? Hit restart, close all windows automatically, save all their states regardless of you hit "save", restart and reopen all windows exactly as you left it. Why doesn't that fuckin happen by now

My Windows 10 experience has been fine. Only bullshit is the OS itself just still not being friendly at doing what I want

They've been moving closer to that reality with how Win 8 and Win 10 save some processes to disk instead of completely shutting everything down when shutting down or restarting. I think the ultimate issue is even if it works 99.99% of the time and those states resume correctly the 0.01% it doesn't could cause major issues so why take the chance?

Apt101

Things I dislike about Windows 10:

- I hate how I have to manually create a folder for a proper Windows 7 like taskbar, and it's always a bit wonky. I hate the pinning of things in Win 10 / Server 2012

- Having to change my ethernet connection to metered just to prevent automatic updates. I'm a big boy. Let me update when I want. I'm fucking busy, I don't need my OS dictating my downs

- It's really a minor gripe, and maybe it's just my system, but all MMC plugins seem sluggish now. On a really fast system, with SSD drives.

snap

Banned
This is why I just disable Windows updates. Don't need Enterprise or whatever to do it either.

this is the worst attitude to have towards anything

edit: "toyota has introduced auto-fastening seat belts that detect when you're sitting in a seat and lock in. some people don't like them because they fasten too tightly"
you: "This is why I took the seatbelts out of my car."

riotous

Banned
Everyone hates forced restarts. But that shits gonna happen or else you will be complaining about Windows getting hacked. Windows could be better at resuming everything as it was post restart though. Still don't know why that just doesn't happen: got 8 programmed open?

You do a restart when critical components need to be unloaded and reloaded; that might include underlying API objects that have been instantiated into various applications.

If you could just save the state of all apps and reload them without affecting things, you wouldn't need the restart in the first place.

Blastoise

Banned
I was pretty happy with pre creative update win 10 pro. But after the update it really screwed up my VMs. Gonna be a bitch to get my old setup working again.

Def cannot use win 10 as a primary os.

I keep hitting "Snooze" on this update every day it pops up.

Eventually it'll just do it by itself in the middle of the night. But I'll go down fighting.

There was an update that my PC went through at 9:12PM today while I was outside and restarted my computer while I was running a disk check on an external HDD, was about 30% of the way through when I went out and needed several more hours to complete. -_-

Yeah, there is no such thing as starting a long task and doing something else for a bit if you use Windows 10. You could walk away to make a sandwich and come back to find Windows 11 installed.

snap

Banned
Yeah, there is no such thing as starting a long task and doing something else for a bit if you use Windows 10. You could walk away to make a sandwich and come back to find Windows 11 installed.

You seem really salty for making the same post over and over in this thread, but you never replied to where I pointed out that the only way it would bother you to update during a movie is if you ignored the update for days beforehand.

Kthulhu

I fucking love Windows 10.

Same. It's the best version of Windows I've used.

XP was unsecure, 7 was a total pain as the years got on, and 8/8.1 had an awful UI. My only complaint about 10 is the occasional pop up when I use Chrome and the touch interface is worse than Windows 8.1's.

Vagabundo

Microsoft really does make some dumb decisions on its OS.

I've been rocking ubuntu on all my laptops and work machines for a long time now. Super stable and I have a VM with windows for the odd thing or app that needs it.

Unless you are gaming on it there is very little you cant do on a linux machine with out all the grief.

Saying that Windows 10 is probably my favourite Windows.

I fucking love Windows 10.

I did as well, and then the creators update forced itself on my XPS. At first the processor was overheating and the machine started to sound like a jet engine. Quick google search let me know that this is a very common problem with the update and not everyone has found a fix for it. Another update by Dell took care of that one, but now every time I boot up the computer it starts with a jet engine drill that lasts 2-3 minutes. Until now I don't think I've heard the fan once.

Best computer I've ever had compared with a shitshow operating system.

I actually liked Windows 10 up until the latest updates. It worked fine on 2 devices up until recently and I'm in the process of deferring the update on my SP4. It bricked one device, but whatever, it was an old tablet so I didn't care much. It screwed up my Dell so that the half the time it won't boot up properly, and when it does boot up properly it is a crapshoot whether the USB ports will work. It also doesn't shut off properly half the time either. Although I suppose I'm lucky compared to others as I haven't had a restart happen while I was using it.

I was dreading getting the Creator's update on my last device, a SP4. Last night I got a notice that didn't let me defer it anymore so I put it down for the night. Today I turned it on and after a 20 minute update, woohoo, it works. But surprise! It wasn't the actual update, it was an update to prepare the SP4 for the Creator's update. I got another popup harassing me about the update, let's see how long it'll let me ignore it.

This is why I just disable Windows updates. Don't need Enterprise or whatever to do it either.

The problem is that MS lulled me into a false sense of security. Over a year with updates and nagging that was annoying, but didn't break anything. With this update breaking everything I have so far, I wish I had just shut off the updates. If this update breaks my SP4 I am not buying another Windows device, but I don't really want to switch back to Mac either.

Chromebook really has the best updates, they download automatically and don't force you to do anything. The update just applies when you next restart it and basically just adds a couple of seconds to the boot up. There's an update like every week and it's rare that I even notice it happening. If they can ever get the Android apps to work well that is probably the way to go.... but who knows if that will ever work well.

golem

The more I use Windows 10 the more apparent it is that Microsoft's OS team has no idea what theyre doing. I swear every update has made the product worse on my SP3 and Ive already had to suffer through two reinstalls due to OS bugs. Incredibly shitty software development going on over there

Kthulhu

Chromebook really has the best updates, they download automatically and don't force you to do anything. The update just applies when you next restart it and basically just adds a couple of seconds to the boot up. There's an update like every week and it's rare that I even notice it happening. If they can ever get the Android apps to work well that is probably the way to go.... but who knows if that will ever work well.

Android apps work pretty good on my Samsung Chromebook Plus so far. Only issues I've had are a few graphical glitches in some older tablet games.

Android apps work pretty good on my Samsung Chromebook Plus so far. Only issues I've had are a few graphical glitches in some older tablet games.

That's good to hear. I haven't been able to find a working one at a store to try out but I'll have to look harder to find one to test out.

Whenever I start thinking about upgrading to Windows 10 I always run into one of these threads.

Why can't MS just make a proper Win 7 upgrade without all the clunky shit attached to it.

shockdude

Automatic update downloading + manual installation is still the best Windows Update configuration. It sucks that the setting is hidden within Group Policy, which in turn means it's only available in Windows 10 Pro instead of Windows 10 Home.

riotous

Banned
Automatic update downloading + manual installation is still the best Windows Update configuration. It sucks that the setting is hidden within Group Policy, which in turn means it's only available in Windows 10 Pro instead of Windows 10 Home.

I'm running 4 Windoes 10 machines with none of these issues.

Your mileage may vary, i had way more issues with both 7 and 8.

OSX is a better OS IMO but as a PC gamer ill probably never abandon Windows completely.

shockdude

I'm running 4 Windoes 10 machines with none of these issues.

Your mileage may vary, i had way more issues with both 7 and 8.
I actually have not experienced any Windows 10 update issues personally, even before Microsoft added update postponing and was frequently auto-rebooting everyone's PCs, due to the aforementioned Group Policy setting and also probably due to luck. Doesn't mean I can't acknowledge the issues that other people are experiencing.
I will say that I'm glad to see Windows Update consistently installing updates in Windows 10, as opposed to it sometimes hanging during the update check in Windows 7.

If it weren't for PC gaming, I'd be running Linux.

shockdude

Shockdude, I quoted the wrong post lol. Meant to quote the guy afraid to update to 10.
lol, np.
Whenever I start thinking about upgrading to Windows 10 I always run into one of these threads.

Why can't MS just make a proper Win 7 upgrade without all the clunky shit attached to it.
A "proper Win 7 upgrade" would not be not much different from what 10 currently is, or at least intends to be. Many of Windows 10's new features over Windows 7 are excellent.
The clunkiness is due to instability. Things that shouldn't happen sometimes happened (missing start menu, unwanted reboots).
Imo things are pretty stable now, so upgrading should be ok, but you can always wait until next year when things are (hopefully) even more stable.

Shockdude, I quoted the wrong post lol. Meant to quote the guy afraid to update to 10.

lol, np.

A "proper Win 7 upgrade" would not be not much different from what 10 currently is, or at least intends to be. Many of Windows 10's new features over Windows 7 are excellent.
The clunkiness is due to instability. Windows 10 is much buggier than it should be; things that shouldn't happen tend to happen (missing start menu, unwanted reboots).
Come back next year when things are (hopefully) more stable.

That's something at least, but the forced updates, cortana and all the telemetry stuff seems like an intentional choice rather than something that could be attributed to bugs.

What's happening next year? I would have expected Win 10 to be stable at this point given that it's been out for 2 years now.

shockdude

That's something at least, but the forced updates, cortana and all the telemetry stuff seems like an intentional choice rather than something that could be attributed to bugs.

What's happening next year? I would have expected Win 10 to be stable at this point given that it's been out for 2 years now.
I actually think Windows 10 is fairly stable now, so I had edited my post to make that opinion more clear. Unfortunately you replied before the edit.
Cortana, telemetry etc. are intentional features, but issues with those are due to privacy, not stability.
Forced updates are also intentional. Auto-rebooting, while intentional, was crap, so Microsoft added update postponing, which isn't bad (but should have worked properly in OP's case).
And telemetry got backported to Windows 7 some time ago.

I don't know what's gonna happen next year but I'd guess more stability lol.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
What I really dislike about Windows 10 is that it's slowly turning into a mobile OS that can run desktop applications and that you can't stop this decomposition process. I also dislike the fact that MS plans two big OS updates every year and that things inevitably break until a two or three months later they're hopefully fixed. A past OS update broke webcams, game controllers and Kobo ebook readers for instance. This makes Windows 10 an OS i can't trust. With all past Windows operating systems you knew that when your system was working 100% and all your applications and external hw were functional, you'd have a working environment that was rock solid for years to come. With WIndows 10 that guarantee isn't there. You could be stuck with a shitty mobile OS-wannabe that doesn't function the way you want it and is incompatible with an external device that's crucial for your business.

lol, np.

The clunkiness is due to instability. Things that shouldn't happen sometimes happened (missing start menu, unwanted reboots).
Imo things are pretty stable now, so upgrading should be ok, but you can always wait until next year when things are (hopefully) even more stable.

The clunkiness is also due to Microsoft's wish to turn Windows 10 into a useless desktop/mobile OS hybrid. I have no use at all for touch centric apps, I don't fucking want Cortana, Paint3D, etc. I've got a desktop PC, not a Windows Mobile phone. What's even more infuriating is that Microsoft keeps pushing the move to a mobile OS even though Windows Mobile is a sales failure and dead end. I wish they'd refocus Windows as a desktop OS for power users, gamers and business instead of this current mishmash of conflicting ideas.

I actually think Windows 10 is fairly stable now, so I had edited my post to make that opinion more clear. Unfortunately you replied before the edit.
Cortana, telemetry etc. are intentional features, but issues with those are due to privacy, not stability.
Forced updates are also intentional. Auto-rebooting, while intentional, was crap, so Microsoft added update postponing, which isn't bad (but should have worked properly in OP's case).
And telemetry got backported to Windows 7 some time ago.

I don't know what's gonna happen next year but I'd guess more stability lol.

Aight, I'll be building a new system later this year so I'll probably just get 10 and see what happens, lol.

Jezbollah

Perhaps it's a policy by the admins in his company.

Yep.

And if you're in a corporate environment and your work Windows machine reboots without warning, don't blame Microsoft - blame your IT department for not configuring Group Policy correctly.

There are plenty of mechanisms to avoid what OP went through - and it's laziness not to implement it. That is not on Microsoft.

I disabled all updates on my W10 machine and currently don't have creator's update installed. I'm scared it will fuck with all my group policies edit tweaks, I don't want to deal also with disabling all the game mode shit and "full screen optimization".

This article lists several different ways to disable the automatic reboot during updates.

Though with active hours, I've found it's not really a big issue anymore (as long as you configure them to something sensible).

nkarafo

This is terrible advice and how the most recent malware hacks got propagated.
My previous computer was a Pentium 4 with a Windows XP setup that i hadn't update for more than 6 years. I never had a problem with malware or viruses.

Just don't browse to random porn or torrent sites and don't run random .exe files. Maybe use a virtual machine if you really want to experiment.

Darkwater

This article lists several different ways to disable the automatic reboot during updates.

Though with active hours, I've found it's not really a big issue anymore (as long as you configure them to something sensible).

Exactly this. Never have a problem with unwanted reboots. Admittedly, the most casual user will not know about active hours or how to set it, which would be a bummer. But as a power user myself, I haven't got a single real complaint about W10.

Burger

I love how a lot of 'solutions' to sort these sorts of things out are to break out Regedit. Normal people just want to use a computer or expect to change a setting in some sort of settings program.

I had the Start Menu stop working the other day, and the 'solutions' that I found online were a hodgepodge of try this, try that, reinstall windows. I mean fuck off.

Microsoft needs to take a year off from creating new features and shuffling shit around and just make Windows good. In its current state it's hellware.

Just reading "regedit" in 2017 sucks beyond belief

Condom

Update before starting important stuff? It was probably the 1 billionth time they reminded you about it. Haven't had a forced close in ages because I let it update after finishing my work.

It's absolute trash, there was a time I considered Windows for work related stuff (creative field PS, ID etc) and was questioning the Apple-Mac standard in that field and why nobody changes to Windows because you can do the same things in Windows but you save a lot of money too because Apple is so overpriced.

Win10 reminded me why that would have been a terrible idea!

I find Windows 10 to be slightly sinister and I've never been able to put my finger on why.

I run it on a work laptop without issue, but its a nightmare on my home PC - it'll randomly slow to an absolute crawl when trying to run basic applications (like Chrome) usually forcing me to hard restart (which I hate doing). I don't know if its my computer or 10, but given the aforementioned feeling of something sinister, I tend to always blame 10.

I use Classic Shell because standard 10 Start menu is horrific.

BHK3

Banned
10 is the worst thing created my man tbh. Both my laptop and my PC are infected by the spinning dots of death problem. I can never do a clean install properly without it taking hours and hours of troubleshooting. Put the OS on a usb drive insert and let it just install right? Nope, something always goes wrong, horribly wrong. I hate that classic shell is even a thing because not having a proper start menu is torture, have to use classic shell and configure it all by hand.

MilkBeard

Creator Update is installed. This fuck continues.

No, I was not able to postpone it and it is still applying the update. Posting from my phone.

I've legit never had this happen, but it is my own laptop and I set it to only do the restart when I manually select it. Was this option not possible on your PC?

As to my own experiences, I've had issues with Windows 10 when upgrading it from Windows 8, but I just installed Windows 10 clean on a new laptop that had only DOS, and it has been smooth sailing for me. I think the upgrade screws up often, from what I've seen.

There are some connectivity/anti-privacy settings that are automatically turned on, and it's a good idea to find a tutorial and turn off all that shit, because it slows down the system as well.

Top Bottom