• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I hate Windows 10 (ranting)

XDqSJFf.png

You were warned.

Dazza

The latest update has caused my mouse to sporadically stop working. It's... SLIGHTLY annoying. Argh.

Well that makes sense, my logitech stopped working too. Made me go out and buy a new mouse. But I used it recently on another computer it worked just fine, made me think the USB ports on the first computer were playing up

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Well that makes sense, my logitech stopped working too. Made me go out and buy a new mouse. But I used it recently on another computer it worked just fine, made me think the USB ports on the first computer were playing up

Someone else mentioned problems with USB ports and I'm wondering if that's what we're going through.

akira28

Ok, I just need to vent. I was a long supporter of Microsoft products, but Windows 10 is one of the worst OS I ever work with.

So today I need to do a critical job on my notebook that would take 45 minutes. So I turned it on, started the ONLINE program and so... After 10 minutes a message pop saying the Windows need to restart to apply updates, giving me an option to restart now or delay it for 15 minutes "to save my work". Chose the delay imagining that I could delay it again, but noooo after 15 minutes, 25 after starting my test, another message pops saying rebooting. And it already passed another 15 minutes and the thing still "rebooting".

Fuck MS. Don't you know that some things cannot be saved/paused?

This is what happened with Microsoft. They took the Office IT philosophy of "the sysadmin is always right and you will log off right now" and applied it to their home users. Working in an office and having no control over your computer and just listening to the "computer people" because they know better than you is the matter of course. but that shit doesn't work outside of the office and well unfortunately Microsoft has aged out of the old personal computing mindset and now they are a service you subscribe to over the cloud.

That's where they are headed, and they have left the home consumer behind, if they aren't being dragged along by the nose. and if you don't like it, you can unsubscribe because its not your software anyway.

My PC, too. Boot up. Can't boot up. Boot up. Can't boot up.

Fortunately, I was able to reinstall Windows.

Unfortunately, it removed all my files. 😱😱😱🤕

Fucking Windows 10.

Now I can't disable Cortana or web searching when using the start menu. Like, what the fuck?

See my post on first page if you're okay to do a regedit. Goodbye cortana and web search

Newt

Never had any problems with windows 10 home. It kinda astounds me that people struggle with basic tasks like delaying updates.

Jzero

I've never been forced to restart, ever. I think people are just too dumb tbh.

The Windows 10 Update bricking is a huge problem though. I've had to clean install a lot of computers with it.

digdug2k

These update threads always confuse me. I set mine to do updates at like 3 am. I've never actually been using my Surface when any of them happen. I just wake up and its updated.

Blizzard

Banned
Never had any problems with windows 10 home. It kinda astounds me that people struggle with basic tasks like delaying updates.
It astounds you that after previous versions of Windows allowed you to keep postponing updates while you were finishing work, people expect to be able to postpone an update while they're finishing work in this version?

Would it astound you to know that people who are actually competent at using Windows have had settings reset or ignored, e.g. XBox DVR turned on, or Windows updating and rebooting OUTSIDE of the hours that were specified as inactive?

I've never been forced to restart, ever. I think people are just too dumb tbh.

The Windows 10 Update bricking is a huge problem though. I've had to clean install a lot of computers with it.
Don't you think it's possible that there are problems which affect some users of Windows 10, but not all? Maybe it's worth considering some of the people reporting problems actually have problems and not just mass-paint them all as "dumb". :/

Nimajneb

My PC, too. Boot up. Can't boot up. Boot up. Can't boot up.

Fortunately, I was able to reinstall Windows.

Unfortunately, it removed all my files. 😱😱😱🤕

Fucking Windows 10.

Now I can't disable Cortana or web searching when using the start menu. Like, what the fuck?

Windows 10 actually has a really nice recovery option that leaves documents intact and reinstalls Windows to the latest fully patched version, so there's no updating afterward. Reinstalling all your applications is a pain in the ass, but shouldn't lose your files.

I got to experience this after the Anniversary Update completely fucked my PC, and couldn't get past the login screen.. Windows 10 updates have been a disaster.

I tolerate, but ultimately would never use on a daily basis, Windows 10.

The last straw was, during an update, the update itself hung ... killing the MBR and ultimately causing freezes unless I booted into Safe Mode; but then the entire installation became corrupted and I had to reinstall completely. (I think this was during the Anniversary Update.)

I simply don't understand how MacOS and even Linux can handle updates more gracefully and in a less user-antagonistic way.

I run MacOS and I'm completely happy with it. In the past, I've run Windows 95, XP, Vista, 7... and Gentoo Linux for five years and then Ubuntu/Xubuntu.

Note: I loved Windows 7. Windows 8 (before, what was it, 8.1?) was a fucking user-destroying monstrosity.

BriGuy

I haven't had those problems exactly, but Windows 10 certainly has gotten more "noisy" in the last few months. I keep getting pop ups informing me that Skype is a thing that still exists (even though I haven't used it in years) and the One Drive shit is even worse. I set it not to automatically start with Windows or run pretty much ever, but every damn day there's a pop up urgently asking me to sign in with my non-existent One Drive account.

Rktk

I have never had this. Why have I never had this? When there are updates requiring a restart they are applied when I turn the machine off, not before then.

pestul

I've never had a delay restart issue on 3 Windows 10 machines... but I did have it automatically reboot my server once so that was a quick change I had to make.

I'll tell you what sucks related to updates. You really need your PC in a hurry but had forgotten that you'd clicked 'update and shutdown' the last time... Even with a SSD some of those cumulative updates are doozies man.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I want to love it but it's been very buggy on all the machines I've used it on, which is a lot. All kinds of issues, mostly with updates but recently with the USB ports like others have reported. Not bad enough to get a Mac but it's crazy how much ms is struggling here.

I'm still on 7 with no plan to upgrade, but I am curious to see if MS updates 10 to a more un-intrusive experience or goes to 11 or something new. I like their office suite, especially Outlook for mobile devices and onenote for the PC. I just don't want to deal with an os I can't enjoy out of the box.

For the last two big Windows updates I've told it to update overnight at like 3am while the computer isn't in use, and both times it started the update around 8pm while I was playing a multiplayer game. 25 minutes later I can log back into Discord and apologize to my group for wasting half an hour of their time.

Crayon

Switched off windows a few years ago. Had to learn some new stuff but... Not tempted to switch back.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Were you not able to postpone it a second time? I've never encountered an issue with updates forcing me to restart while I was using my PC.

Windows 10 is my favorite Windows OS.

I've had it force a reboot in the middle of teaching a class from my laptop.
Granted that was an older version of Windows 10.

I've recently been forced into Creator's update after the defering update option ended (why is there a time limit?) and my comp will NEVER go to sleep or monitor goes off in any of the power options. I tried the powercfg stuff and see Realtek audio is disrupting it but even when overriding it or disabling it, does jack shit. I was happy with the older version, I don't see why this update was needed to be forced into.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I have an older laptop with windows 8.1 I have to keep around because at least once a week Windows 10 on my fast i5 fails at basic tasks like disk management and printer support...smh

A lot of people don’t seem to understand that the key to using Windows 10 is to fuck shit why is this resetting now and why did that freeze up fuck you fuck you fuck fuck.

snap

Banned
The reason Windows 10 is very forceful with updates are all of the "tech illiterate" people who refuse to install updates and do maintenance from time to time on their computer.

My mother for example wanted to keep using Windows XP (as recent as last year) and any time MBAM or Java or Adobe Reader asks for an update she clicks "No" without reading it because she assumes it's something bad.

Recent stuff like WannaCry are prime examples of why Microsoft took control of updates out of those people's hands--it's either have power users like you and me grousing about the lack of user control or have an exponentially higher amount of casual users complaining that their Dell/HP PoS tower is infected with a virus that uses an exploit Microsoft patched months ago but the update wasn't installed because "updates are annoying."

I also never really understood the complaints about Cortana--if you go through the setup and then never actually talk to her/try to use her she mostly stays out of the way. If you're worried about privacy--well a, if you use an Android phone or a Chromebook you really don't actually care about privacy because Google's looking at your data just as much as Microsoft would--but also you can turn all of Cortana's settings off so that she can't see any of your data, she can only index files on the device, like Windows Search has always been.

Really, while Windows has been buggy at times, Ubuntu was way worse when I tried using it as a daily driver (though, that was back in 2012/2013, so maybe that's changed since then).

Blizzard

Banned
For the last two big Windows updates I've told it to update overnight at like 3am while the computer isn't in use, and both times it started the update around 8pm while I was playing a multiplayer game. 25 minutes later I can log back into Discord and apologize to my group for wasting half an hour of their time.
This sort of thing is exactly what I was talking about when the above poster assumed people are just "too dumb". I've seen this behavior mentioned often enough that it's hard to believe everyone is just incompetent or something.

I don't know why it only hits certain users though.

I fucking hate Windows 10. Heaven forbid I want to watch an entire 2 hour movie without a box popping up 4 times to install updates. There's a giant restart button, and then way down in the corner in a smaller font and and sort of greyed out is the delay restart button, and pressing that just means it is going to continue to annoy me every 20 minutes anyway. I've been using my Windows PC to watch movies for decades and I'm finally done.

TRY OFFICE 365 PLS!

The reason Windows 10 is very forceful with updates are all of the "tech illiterate" people who refuse to install updates and do maintenance from time to time on their computer.

That would make sense if it forced updates after a certain amount of time, but it just rams every single update through on my PC no matter what I'm trying to do. I've never had a PC that spends more time completely unresponsive while it maintains itself.

KaoteK

I was considering finally jumping to win 10.

This thread has convinced me to stick with 8.1/classic shell.

NO. I do not struggle with basic tasks like delaying updates. Windows 10 struggles with basic tasks like delaying updates.

snap

Banned
That would make sense if it forced updates after a certain amount of time, but it just rams every single update through on my PC no matter what I'm trying to do. I've never had a PC that spends more time completely unresponsive while it maintains itself.

It updates and then tries to updated outside of your "active hours", a 8 hour block of time you can set in settings (I think the default is 8 AM to 5 PM).

Problem is a lot of computers are used for more than 8 hours in a day, so it's really annoying you can't set it to like 12 hours a day to make sure it only ever updates overnight.

Edit: I just checked and apparently they now let you set active hours for up to 18 hours in a day, but this is a Preview build and maybe that hasn't come to the Stable release yet.

Outside of that I've never had it actually restart while I'm doing work without telling me first.

NO. I do not struggle with basic tasks like delaying updates. Windows 10 struggles with basic tasks like delaying updates.

Though, now reading this post, and re-reading the other post, it makes me wonder if there's some user error involved here. You do realize you can check for updates before starting a movie, right? And if an update is queued, you can shut down instead of going to sleep to let it install when you're done using your computer for the day?

anytime i get notified of an update is when i click on the power button to shut down for the day and instead of just the regular shut down/sleep/restart, it says update and then shut down/ update and then restart/ something else. i have NEVER been forced to restart. dunno what im doing.

Same. Maybe a lot of people in this thread use laptops and just close the lid and never shut down their computers? Or use desktops but just lock the screen and turn off the monitor instead of putting the PC to sleep?

Rizific

anytime i get notified of an update is when i click on the power button to shut down for the day and instead of just the regular shut down/sleep/restart, it says update and then shut down/ update and then restart/ something else. i have NEVER been forced to restart. dunno what im doing.

Blizzard

Banned
It updates and then tries to updated outside of your "active hours", a 8 hour block of time you can set in settings (I think the default is 8 AM to 5 PM).

Problem is a lot of computers are used for more than 8 hours in a day, so it's really annoying you can't set it to like 12 hours a day to make sure it only ever updates overnight.
The other problem is that I've seen multiple people like this poster:
For whatever reason, the active hours appear to be ignored sometimes for some people and/or some updates. Assuming at least some people aren't lying or confused.

If Windows could pull off, you know, something akin to sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade, then sure, whatever.

Why the fuck does it have to restart all the time?

It's the fact that it's always at 33% complete that makes me laugh.

diehard

Fleer

Not attempting to leave your computer on for weeks at a time.

Edit: I just checked and apparently they now let you set active hours for up to 18 hours in a day, but this is a Preview build and maybe that hasn't come to the Stable release yet.

Outside of that I've never had it actually restart while I'm doing work without telling me first.

Though, now reading this post, and re-reading the other post, it makes me wonder if there's some user error involved here. You do realize you can check for updates before starting a movie, right? And if an update is queued, you can shut down instead of going to sleep to let it install when you're done using your computer for the day?

Same. Maybe a lot of people in this thread use laptops and just close the lid and never shut down their computers? Or use desktops but just lock the screen and turn off the monitor instead of putting the PC to sleep?

"I'm in the mood to watch a movie. I'll just check for updates before starting the movie, and if an update is queued, I can shut down instead of going to sleep to let it install when I'm done using my computer for the day."

snap

Banned
"I'm in the mood to watch a movie. I'll just check for updates before starting the movie, and if an update is queued, I can shut down instead of going to sleep to let it install when I'm done using my computer for the day."

After it downloads and gets ready for an update, it gives you a few days before it forces you to restart to install the update, so your hypothetical only works if you're purposely leaving your computer on for a long time without checking for an update.

Heck, when it's ready to install an update, it even sends you a notification saying "updates are ready to install, restart when you want to update"

Isn't this a step backwards though? Back in the Windows 95/98 days, sure rebooting occasionally would make things start working more smoothly again.

But with Windows 7 (and 8?) you could literally get weeks of uptime with typically zero issues. Has that changed just because updates are more frequent now?

Windows 8 had virtually the same update system. It was even a little bit worse because iirc it didn't have active hours.

Windows 7 had that nonsense of spawning that tiny box in the corner asking you to update and if you ignored it it would just force reboot.

Plus leaving your computer on for weeks is terrible both for the environment and your install. Consumer Windows isn't designed to stay on indefinitely. With modern SSDs and the change to making restarts more of a hybrid between full shutdown and hibernation there is very little reason not to shut down your computer from time to time.

Blizzard

Banned
Isn't this a step backwards though? Back in the Windows 95/98 days, sure rebooting occasionally would make things start working more smoothly again.

But with Windows 7 (and 8?) you could literally get weeks of uptime with typically zero issues. Has that changed just because updates are more frequent now?

Look, it doesn't matter how you slice it, forced restarts* are always user-unfriendly.

*Yes, I realize you've got to balance this against the vast majority of users who can't keep their machines patched. However, the fact that you need to restart at all is a design choice. Similarly, the fact that there's no "guided" restart that walks users through open programs and directs/allows them to save their work is poor design.

DJ_Lae

The only truly invasive updates I've had were at work where IT would push them through and you could only force cancel a couple of times before it would reboot your PC.

Windows 10 has never been that bad - I've manually delayed updates a few times but otherwise it does its business when I shut down and update or it just pops out of sleep mode by itself to install an update and then turns off again.

Dunno. I've got four computers here with Windows 10 and none have caused me grief. I seem to be pretty alone in that, I guess.

snap

Banned
Look, it doesn't matter how you slice it, forced restarts* are always user-unfriendly.

*Yes, I realize you've got to balance this against the vast majority of users who can't keep their machines patched. However, the fact that you need to restart at all is a design choice. Similarly, the fact that there's no "guided" restart that walks users through open programs and directs/allows them to save their work is poor design.

Even Ubuntu (the OS you mentioned in a previous post) requires restarts to fully update. It just doesn't surface that because it expects you to know to update from time to time, at least when you're using apt-get to update.

And the "guided" restart betrays your lack of awareness of how software programming works--how can Microsoft portend what programs need work to be saved and which don't? How can they detect where the program has the UI elements for saving work?

Even Ubuntu (the OS you mentioned in a previous post) requires restarts to fully update. It just doesn't surface that because it expects you to know to update from time to time, at least when you're using apt-get to update.

And the "guided" restart betrays your lack of awareness of how software programming works--how can Microsoft portend what programs need work to be saved and which don't? How can they detect where the program has the UI elements for saving work?

Yes, I know the difference between kernel updates, which do require restarts, and application updates, which (generally) don't. Moreover, you don't need to comment on my lack of awareness re: software programming. Thanks, but no.

In any case, I was simply talking about focusing on each active program in userland and requiring the user to terminate that process. In other words, save or quit. It's not hard; it wouldn't be complicated. Hell, query the last input; if the user hasn't been active in n seconds, go for it, sure. If s/he has, recognize that someone's there and allow them to wind down their workflow.

The ticking timebomb countdowns signaling restarts, which I experience regularly at work (yes, I blame the IT department) are unconscionable.

Crayon

Is that really so much to ask tho? It's so nice to has machines that can stay up and update without restarting for as long as I want. (Which has been up to a few months at a time.) I'm used to using them without those kind of interruptions now. Seems like a basic feature.

Lucumo

If you choose to get Windows 10, it's pretty much your own fault. I'll stick with Windows 7 as long as possible for instance and will see what I do afterwards.

Top Bottom