• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I just ate at Arby's for the first time ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xion385

Arbys-Pork-Belly.jpg

They're not serving their Pork Belly sandwich. There's no reason to go.

Does food poisoning really make you never want to eat a particular dish ever again?

Like, I can understand not going back to the particular location/restaurant that gave you the bad food, but why swear off every chicken bacon swiss in all of existence?

I haven't eaten black olives since 1995.

Does food poisoning really make you never want to eat a particular dish ever again?

Like, I can understand not going back to the particular location/restaurant that gave you the bad food, but why swear off every chicken bacon swiss in all of existence?

I laid next to vomited Arby's fries. That horrid taste and smell still haunts me.

low-G

I think Arby's is gross. Last time I had it was in the 90's and it was garbage then.

King of social media and good taste in games tho.

breakfuss

Completely unrelated (sorry) but I just clicked on OP's tag and I'm dumbfounded. Like what the actual fuck?

Arby's has some good ass curly fries though.

Cmagus

WTF, how do you spend $10 on a combo at Arby's.

Haven't been to Arby's in forever, but the commercials are wearing me down. I used to love their 4 for $5 deal. And yes, their curly fries are good, but there will always a place in my heart for their potato cakes.

I know here in Canada it's almost $10 for a combo, it isn't cheap so I dunno if OP is from the US or not. We use to have the 5 for $5 which was great now it's like $5-$6 for one w/o the combo and almost $10 after taxes depending on the size and I don't even think we have the 5 for 5 deal here at all.

Just noticed that the Arby's near me closed recently. I think it was one of the last ones that still had the original cowboy hat sign from the 60s.

TheYanger

I'm so confused how it was almost 10 dollars.

Arby's used to be the shit cause it was 5 for 5. then 4 for 5. now it's like fucking 2 for 5. At that price I don't care about it anymore. Also, jamocha shakes are delicious. And their french dip ain't bad.

Lenz44

Banned
So you didn't get the combo that had the roast beef with the cheddar and arbys sauce on it? And even that one as a combo and large is like 8 bucks. Something isn't adding up.

Gabbelgak

I still remember the 5 for 5 deal they ran years ago. I used to like them but the cost has spiraled out of control more than any other fast food I can think of. I tried eating there a few months ago for nostalgia sakes and couldn't stomach it anymore.

Kusagari

Don't go to Arby's for roast beef. You go for shit like Meat Mountain and Smokehouse Brisket.

The thing fast food companies are famous for is never the best thing on the menu.

Hale-XF11

I got the Roast Beef sandwich (since I think that's what they're famous for) and it was literally just a slab of cold cut roast beef on a piece of bread??? Like, they didn't even put mayo on it???

Lol, that was my reaction when I last got one many years ago. I didn't think they were serious. Then I bit into it and it was like chewing on a stack of rubber bands covered in matted cotton. Just terrible.

Agreed OP.
I had my first and only Arby's experience like 15 years ago. WAs hanging with some friends and we were hungry... One guy wanted a roast beef sandwich, and he's got really bland tastes, so we were like, ok, Arby's is open. So we went to Arby's. I was broke in college and remember spending like $13 on a Coke + sandwich... And it was just fucking gross. This bland ass slimy roast beef sandwich and it was over $10. At the time, I'd expect $13 to get me a mountain of food at fast food, or 2 medium pizzas as Dominos, or hell even a burger + coke at a place like Chili's or Applebees.

Never went back.

I figure Arby's is for roast beef sandwiches what Long John Silvers or Red Lobster are for seafood... For people who are unable to get that food any other way than at fast food (e.g., landlocked parts of the country for Long John Silvers), sort of like how for decades KFC was the only way to get fried chicken in New England, so your impression of KFC was like "Oh, this isn't bad..."

Matty77

It's all about the horsey sauce. As for the food it's not bad it's just to roast beef sandwiches what McDonald's is to burgers or Papa Gino's to pizza, mass market assembly line fast food.

It's not good but you have to pick to call it bad.

RS4-

Don't think I've had Arby's in over 10 years.

RIP 5 for $5. Liked the curly fries, and yes, need horsey sauce. Beef and cheddar was pretty good.

Beartruck

You need the correct balance of Horsey Sauce and Arby's Sauce to really bring out the flavor. I mainly go for the Jamocha shakes though. For some reason I love those things.

This man is correct. Their actual slogan should be: "ARBY'S: We have the shakes (but fuck the food)"

Jarnet87

They got decent chicken tenders and fries. That chocolate turnover is bomb fast food desert. Never understood going to Arby's and ordering deli meat.

bebop242

sort of like how for decades KFC was the only way to get fried chicken in New England, so your impression of KFC was like "Oh, this isn't bad..."

Moving from Illinois to Iowa, I experienced this first hand. Only fried chicken in the area. Locals said it was good, i went there and it was horrible! Thank fuck Popeyes (and Harolds Chicken, but haven't tried that yet) came into the area to compete.

TheYanger

Agreed OP.
I had my first and only Arby's experience like 15 years ago. WAs hanging with some friends and we were hungry... One guy wanted a roast beef sandwich, and he's got really bland tastes, so we were like, ok, Arby's is open. So we went to Arby's. I was broke in college and remember spending like $13 on a Coke + sandwich... And it was just fucking gross. This bland ass slimy roast beef sandwich and it was over $10. At the time, I'd expect $13 to get me a mountain of food at fast food, or 2 medium pizzas as Dominos, or hell even a burger + coke at a place like Chili's or Applebees.

Never went back.

I figure Arby's is for roast beef sandwiches what Long John Silvers or Red Lobster are for seafood... For people who are unable to get that food any other way than at fast food (e.g., landlocked parts of the country for Long John Silvers), sort of like how for decades KFC was the only way to get fried chicken in New England, so your impression of KFC was like "Oh, this isn't bad..."

Dude, 15 years ago arby's sandwiches were 5 for 5. There's 0 chance you spent 13 fdollars on a drink and a sandwich when you can't even spend that much for any burger and any sized drink on their menu TODAY.

Don't get me wrong, they're highly overpriced now, but they certainly didn't used to be, and it's still not like, non-fast food tier prices, it's just that you're paying a lot for what should be value menu shit.

NastyBook

I either eat their fish or chicken sandwiches and stay FAR away from the roast beef they pride themselves on. Curly Fries are delicious with Arbys sauce on them.

Kremzeek

Just noticed that the Arby's near me closed recently. I think it was one of the last ones that still had the original cowboy hat sign from the 60s.

The one on Sunset in Los Angeles still has the original big cowboy hat sign.

You can probably Google street view it.

I always thought Arby's got a bad rap, though it's been years since I've been to one. There just isn't that many around.

But yeah, with such a basic sandwich, you need to put some Arby's Sauce on that thing. No one goes to a burger place just to order a beef patty and a bun with nothing else.

What I'd recommend from the menu:

Beef and Cheddar - The cheddar is a bit sweet, and they put some kind of sauce on it that is pretty good.

Market Fresh sandwiches - Unlike a lot of other places, they really stack the meet in these.

French Dip and Swiss w/ au jus - Damn good for the price. They usually have specials like 2 for $4 on these. Totally worth it.

Edit:

Looking at their menu online, I can honestly say I haven't tried much else aside from the above.

I got the Roast Beef sandwich (since I think that's what they're famous for) and it was literally just a slab of cold cut roast beef on a piece of bread??? Like, they didn't even put mayo on it???

What the heck did I just spend almost $10 on. Lessons learned:

1. Mom always says "we have food at home" and Arby's is the best proof of concept for making something at home instead of paying for it outside.
2. Their social media is far superior to the shit they actually sell. They should just turn into an origami paper craft channel.

CongratulationsYouPlayedYourself.gif

I think Jimmy John's is a strong contender in this too.

I like both, but yea it's hard to justify eating there lol.

border

I never really understood how they are "overpriced". The sandwiches are like $4-7. Most major fast food places have been trending towards that for their deluxe burgers and sandwiches.

You ordered the worst thing they have. I personally think Arby's is amazing, but the plain roast beef sandwich is nothing special. Try a beef n cheddar, any market fresh sandwich, any chicken sandwich...anything else really. And dip the curly fries in horseradish sauce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom