• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I just found something huge about my granpa and I think he doesn't know it

Status
Not open for further replies.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Holy fuck that is some riveting shit right there. Forgive the language but it got more and more tense as I read down the page.

My advice is to think long and hard, before you drop such a megaton bomb on your grandfather. This is a damn movie.

Kite

I was expecting clickbait bs but that is actually really amazing, OP you gonna follow up and dig deeper?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think I'd try something like 23 and Me and see what comes up. Whether I'd tell Grandpa, I couldn't say.

Landford

Banned
Im not in any position to propose anything, but in your place, I would at least make sure the parents sacrifice would be aknowleged. Its because of them you are, technically, alive.

Wow what a crazy but fascinating story!

I don't know how I would react if I found out information similar to that about my own family. That could be the plot to a good book OP.

Edit: As for advice, I would continue to find as much information from relatives and other sources as you can and then approach your granpa about it. He deserves to know.

Stasis

Assez fou comme histoire!

Thanks for sharing it. Makes for a great read, both sad/tragic but also beautiful and touching...

And I do believe this must have occurred quite a bit as well. But to find out so late is something.

SilentRob

I know "Tell him, he deserves to know"would be the "right" thing to say here, but I'd say you really have to talk this out with your mom. This is not an easy decision to make.

My grandpa is 85 and my mom told me yesterday how he started crying when the topic of renovating his house came up. He always was an incredibly strong person, still is, but any kind of change to his usual environment or unexpected news deals a big blow to his system these days. If this story would happen to me I would absolutely not tell him because I know he would not be able to deal with it and would likely not even accept it.

You should definetely write a script based on this, however, I already heard the Soundtrack while reading the OP. Lady in the Town Hall to be played by Merryl Streep, Lady delivering the Twist by Maggie Smith. I'll take a cameo as the old ladie's nephew who brought you the tea you let fall down in slow motion when hearing the news, thank you.

But yeah, dude, dig deeper. Find your roots, if only for yourself.

I was expecting clickbait bs but that is actually really amazing, OP you gonna follow up and dig deeper?

I think I should not. I don't think telling him is a good idea...

But I'm very curious, I want to get to the bottom of it... At least track his real parents and with the holocaust memorials and resources dedicated, it should be easy to find if they were deported and where...

But I don't think I should ? Its a sort of morbid curiosity... Nothing good could come out of this

To all saying I should tell him...

I have no idea... It's really a hard call to make...

Imagine, living all your life with the idea of your parents, your siblings being your familly... And at past 80 years old, your grand son with his pesky internet friends tells you that nope, you were merely adopted because your real parents were jews and probably died while you were a baby... and did all this to protect you.

I don't know... how would I react to that ? That's a lot to take
Nope. Those ARE his family regardless of any of this. Family is more than just blood. They loved him and raised him as their own. That's what counts and what can never be taken away, no matter what. There's no "merely" about it. Especially when they did a great thing by taking him in when they were under no compulsion to--that would give me more appreciation for them if anything. His adoptive family is his real family and will always be so.

Of course, his biological parents are also real parents and what they did for him is also criticality important, which is why he deserves to know about them and you should tell him. But both are important for their own reasons and neither should be portrayed as less significant or any less his real parents or less important than the others which is why, should you end up deciding to tell him, make sure you emphasize the things I have in this post, about both being his real family and important in their own ways and that this information should make him think no less of either group of people to do your best to make sure he doesn't end up taking it the wrong way.

Biske

I think you should tell him. If my parents did something like that for me, I'd want to know what an amazing thing they did for me and the love they had for me.

But I'm very curious, I want to get to the bottom of it... At least track his real parents and with the holocaust memorials and resources dedicated, it should be easy to find if they were deported and where...

But I don't think I should ? Its a sort of morbid curiosity... Nothing good could come out of this
As others have said, consider the sacrifice of the parents.

If he's religious, it'd possibly bring peace to his soul if you told him while also saying where they are buried. Or memorialized.

Biske

This is like some mind blowing "this week on This American Life" story. Stop everything and call Ira Glass. He will help you.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Interesting revelation. As soon as you said you were French, I knew it could be something like this.

Chichikov

It is possible, but it might not be that easy, the Nazis destroyed a ton of evidence at the end of the war.
Also, I think learning about history, especially history that you have a personal connection with is almost always a good thing, regardless of what you decide to do with that knowledge you might acquire.

Is this actually a thing? I always thought jews are a religious entity, not a race?
It's complicated.

Trojan X

Banned
Sounds like a background story for an X-Men character. Amazing.

I hope everyone is not affected by this for they shouldn't.

Tell him, IMO. I know I would want the truth, no matter how old I was. Besides, do you know he *wouldn't* want to know? If not, don't make that choice for him.

What right do you have to withhold the information from him? It's his history.
I don't know about right, but it's not like withholding information comes without its points. The man is at the end of his life to now learn about this tragic aspect of his life, that he was adopted, and that his real parents were very likely killed in the war by a group of bigots. The chance of turning his world upside down and causing huge emotional stress is definitely a valid argument.

.JayZii

Banned
Wow, that's a really interesting story. Thanks for sharing. As for whether to tell him or not, that's a complicated issue and you should probably discuss the specifics of your family's situation, and his in particular, before just springing this on him.

I'll admit. The usage of "granpa" and "Jew" in the OP triggered me a bit.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I think you should tell him. But like others have said, talk about it with the rest of your family first.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Dude, this is incredible. Wow. I hope you can find relatives to present to your grandad, but definitely keep your grandma and mother in the know about the topic.

jorgeton

Wow. Twist.jpg indeed

I'm leaning towards telling him, OP. I think it's right he know about the sacrifice his parents made for him.

kirblar

You really should tell him. You'll regret it pretty much forever if you don't. But loop your family members in before meeting up to talk to him about it so everyone's there.

His adopted parents are still his parents- and knowing that they did that for him is something he deserves to know.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

If you don't tell him, fine, up to you and your family, but you should really look for more info. This isn't just about him, I don't think you understand the significance of this for some people. It's less significant since his descendants aren't Jewish, but can be still significant for others who are relatives, if there are others.

E92 M3

It's unfortunate how complicit France was with deporting all of the Jews on behest of the Nazis.

Crazy revelation.

Thats tough. I'm of the opinion that if his real parents saved his life then it would be in honor of them for him to know that one day.

Gragen

Im not in any position to propose anything, but in your place, I would at least make sure the parents sacrifice would be aknowleged. Its because of them you are, technically, alive.

Agreed. Amazing story and just think about how many others are alive today because of the actions of anti nazis from the 40s. OP, you literally owe your life to that old lady's family.

It's hard to decide if he should know or not, assuming he's a healthy man he would wonder about all that lost family.

If it were me, I'd tell your grandmother and let her decide.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I think he should know. I mean it's his heritage. And that's one hell of a sacrifice. I'd tell him but...I get why it's not an easy decision. The entire story is just incredible.

TissueBox

Story was crazeh, OP. To think he never knew what his parents did..!? Wish you luck on you decision...both on that and on who to adapt it into a screenplay...

nero2082

very tough decision to make, it's like you're deciding if someone close to you should know or not that he was living in a lie for 80+ YEARS

I'm not sure if I'd like to know it at that point

Zenner

How can you keep it a secret, if you need the original for that administrative paperwork and the original on file at City Hall has the different name? It sounds like the truth will come out, if you ever want to finish that new paperwork you're helping with.

Depending on how old and fragile your grandfather is I would keep this a secret and not tell anyone. Just my advice feel free to ignore.

If he's in good health then go right ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom