• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I just found something huge about my granpa and I think he doesn't know it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machina

Banned
Your next step is obvious, track the parents. Yes sadly there is a very good chance they were shipped to a camp, which is probably why they were so keen to have your grandfather given a false identity. However if there is even a small chance that they lived and died of natural causes, finding their graves should be your ultimate goal.

I would've thought though that if they had lived until the end of the war at least, they would have retained your grandfathers false name in hopes of finding him again. If they never did.....

mm04

Really interesting story. I would personally do more investigation because I would be super curious. In terms of telling your grandfather, I view that as your mom's call.

blackflag

That's an amazing story. My girlfriend was working on my genealogy and found out all kinds nds of cool stuff but nothing as amazing as that.

Bluecondor

I have been doing genealogy research for the past five years, and have been doing DNA genealogy research for the past two years. In genealogy research, the situation you are describing happens frequently - misattributed parentage.

I have a similar example in my Aunt C's family with her father, Theodore (although not nearly as dramatic). In Theodore's case, the DNA evidence shows, almost certainly, that his father was a man who rented a room in Theodore's mother's house.

There are two issues here. First, the question of whether to tell your grandfather about this is one of the most common ethical questions in genealogy research. When we find evidence of a misattributed parentage, should we disclose this to relatives? There is a great deal of debate over this, particularly in instances in which an elderly relative like your grandfather did not ask you to do this research. In my opinion, you should have a conversation about this with your Mom and any other respected family members. Then - everyone in your family should agree as to whether to tell your grandfather and how.

Second, regardless of whether your tell your grandfather about this, you can independently pursue more information about his parentage. There are many genealogy experts out there who study Jewish genealogy and/or the birth records of France and Germany during the Nazi Era. Also, DNA genealogy offers a lot of promise for a case like this. In short, an autosomal DNA test (from Ancestry, Family Tree DNA or 23&me) would be very relevant here, as we each receive roughly 50% of our autosomal DNA from our father and roughly 50% from our mother. If your grandfather were to do an Ancestry DNA test, all of his matches would be biological relatives. Even if you just had your Mom do the test, all of her paternal matches would be relatives of your grandfather from his birth parents.

Let me know if you have any questions on any of this. I am currently helping a friend-of-a-friend who suddenly and unexpectedly found out a few months ago that her father was not her actual birth father. The DNA evidence has already narrowed things down considerably for her.

Not

Banned
I'm an 8th Jew by blood, found out three years ago. My paternal grandmother recently found out her birth mother was full 100% Jewish

Blonde hair blue eyes over here. But I still want to go by (((Not))). Or an eighth of that. ,,,Not,,,

Media

You absolutely HAVE to find out what happened to his birth parents. There are as far as I know still organizations about that can help you track it down.

And if you need a ghost writer for the eventual best seller, hit me up, I'm a fantastic ghost writer.

Ishan

That's crazy man.

Now the question is are you going to tell him? Seems like it'd be a multitude of heart breaks

- his parents weren't his real parents
- he never met his birth parents
- his birth parents were likely killed in world War 2, and he lived a comfy life without ever knowing.

It's a tough decision. Something you should likely talk with your mom, any siblings she might have, and ultimately your grandma if she's still alive.

You have a very interesting and possible stressful decision to make.

Edit: personally man? I'd try to find out who his real parents were, see where they were buried (if they have remains) and give him all of this information.
+1

This is not info to spring onto anyone especially an elderly person lightly

thespot84

OP your story delivered.

But I believe you are only a jew if your mother is a jew?

Among the orthodox yes, the religion is matrilineal, however among the different movements of modern jews the amount that anyone cares varies.

I know a guy who found out that his ancestors from spain were jews that hid their religion during the inquisition. He attended a class to learn more about it and decided to convert and is now modern orthodox (very observant but not crazy hats).

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I'm an 8th Jew by blood, found out three years ago. My paternal grandmother recently found out her birth mother was full 100% Jewish

Blonde hair blue eyes over here. But I still want to go by (((Not))). Or an eighth of that. ,,,Not,,,

If your grandmother was Jewish, then so was your mother, and so are you, at least according to orthodox Judaism, not 1/8th or whatever.

weekev

Banned
Just an incredible story. I hope you tell your grandpa. I'm surprised his adoptive parents didn't tell him when he was old enough. It's not like his parents abandoned him. They saved him in an ultimate act of love.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
OP, I think you should tell your grandfather. He deserves to know. His adoptive parents were heroes, they risked their lives to save his.

Tubie

Wow, thread title actually delivered way more than I expected! And thinking about it, it makes sense, and I bet it happened a lot during that time :(

On whether to tell him or not, you should talk to your mom first and think real hard on it.

Maybe try to find out more information about his biological parents and family before you decide on what to do.

Arex

great story OP!

Anyway maybe his adoptive parents did tell him before, and he never bothered to tell the rest of the family as it happened when he's still a baby right?, who knows! :)

I donno exactly why, but your story suddenly gave me the urge to rewatch Egoyan's Remember, once again!

Remember-Poster-1.jpg

Davilmar

C'est incroyable! Je ne peux pas le croire! Such a rich and tragic family background. I think you should likely tell your grandfather about his past, but I can't envy the situation you are in. To basically tell him that his entire life hasn't been what he believed, and to hear what likely happened to his blood parents. I would want to be told, and I think given the fact that you were asked to get their papers in order, you have a justification to tell him. I hope he can respect you for being honest and caring about your heritage and family. Please let us know what happens.

trejo

Wow that's a wild story OP.

Personally, I think your grandpa should know, mostly because I think his birth parents deserve to be acknowledged for the tremendous and, frankly, heroic sacrifice they did in order to save his life. I mean, chances are you wouldn't even be here today otherwise if you think about it.

God, that decision must have been heart-wrenching to make.

FinKL

What an emotional amazing read. Thanks for that! Consensus is to tell him though and I'm in that camp as well. You never know what might click when you tell him it

It's heartbreaking that this went on less than a 100 years ago where your parents won't ever get to see you grow up because of dictatorship

Mortemis

Banned
That's really an incredible story, fooled me with that title but it's well deserved for this.

I think you should gather as much info as you can/want to, and leave the decision to tell him to your mom, siblings, and grandma. It's a tragic story but personally I'd want to tell him about it.

Dougald

If I were your grandfather I would want to know. That is a beautiful story. His birth parents made so much effort to save his life, and his parents took him in and gave him a home when so many others at that time would have turned a blind eye to the Jewish population. The actions of all these people for saving a life deserve to be remembered

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
I have been doing genealogy research for the past five years, and have been doing DNA genealogy research for the past two years. In genealogy research, the situation you are describing happens frequently - misattributed parentage.

I have a similar example in my Aunt C's family with her father, Theodore (although not nearly as dramatic). In Theodore's case, the DNA evidence shows, almost certainly, that his father was a man who rented a room in Theodore's mother's house.

There are two issues here. First, the question of whether to tell your grandfather about this is one of the most common ethical questions in genealogy research. When we find evidence of a misattributed parentage, should we disclose this to relatives? There is a great deal of debate over this, particularly in instances in which an elderly relative like your grandfather did not ask you to do this research. In my opinion, you should have a conversation about this with your Mom and any other respected family members. Then - everyone in your family should agree as to whether to tell your grandfather and how.

Second, regardless of whether your tell your grandfather about this, you can independently pursue more information about his parentage. There are many genealogy experts out there who study Jewish genealogy and/or the birth records of France and Germany during the Nazi Era. Also, DNA genealogy offers a lot of promise for a case like this. In short, an autosomal DNA test (from Ancestry, Family Tree DNA or 23&me) would be very relevant here, as we each receive roughly 50% of our autosomal DNA from our father and roughly 50% from our mother. If your grandfather were to do an Ancestry DNA test, all of his matches would be biological relatives. Even if you just had your Mom do the test, all of her paternal matches would be relatives of your grandfather from his birth parents.

Let me know if you have any questions on any of this. I am currently helping a friend-of-a-friend who suddenly and unexpectedly found out a few months ago that her father was not her actual birth father. The DNA evidence has already narrowed things down considerably for her.

OP should listen to this.

Artdayne

That's an awesome story. My great grandfather was Jewish but almost no one knew that until after he died. It turns out his brother and other family members died in Auschwitz during the war.

Joni

Holy fucking shit, call Steven Spielberg's agent, asap

I'd watch that movie.

Do you think he can handle it? Everybody should know the truth, but you know him better than us.

Bruh this is a great story. Ima sell it

Shit, lemme get in on this. There's money to be made in Hollywood!!!

I mean.... umm

Incredible stuff OP

Girl meets World of all things already did something similar.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
OP,

I say tell him, he will appreciate it.

He may already know even.

If you're not going to tell him, then telling other family members might not be a good idea. You don't know who might end up telling him this information.

I'm not saying you should or shouldn't tell him, just that you should also consider another possibility if you don't tell him.

Camaway2

Riveting story and well written too.

A suggestion: why don't you write to a magazine, or some French Jewish association and ask for help in your search?

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Circumcise him
More serious answer, hint and ask him if he would want to know then tell him if he does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom