• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I made some NeoGAF Chrome extensions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScOULaris

Horsebite said:
The smiley extension is the best thing ever.
Agreed. I think it should have gotten its own thread.
3AQmK.gif

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Andrex said:
I was just thinking I could probably tweak this to notify you when:

- A thread you have made is bumped
This would be dope!

Zeppu

Andrex said:
I was just thinking I could probably tweak this to notify you when:

- A thread you have made is bumped

I think in that case, it would be less intrusive to have either a page or browser action which will update with a counter of unread subscribed threads. With a couple of subscriptions to some megathreads you would end up with the popup constantly showing.

A page action would probably be what I'd personally opt for. Simple, unobtrusive and only shows up in the address bar when there's unread items in the CP. Click it and you get a listing of updated threads.

Just my opinion.

Edit:
Also, correct me if I'm wrong (Andrex, you probably know this) but theoretically, we could register a NeoGAF app (with Evilore's permission obviously) and people could just 'install' that app and get to a NeoGAF with all user's extensions in place without actually having to install any extension, am I right?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
josephdebono said:
I think in that case, it would be less intrusive to have either a page or browser action which will update with a counter of unread subscribed threads. With a couple of subscriptions to some megathreads you would end up with the popup constantly showing.

A page action would probably be what I'd personally opt for. Simple, unobtrusive and only shows up in the address bar when there's unread items in the CP. Click it and you get a listing of updated threads.

Just my opinion.

Edit:
Also, correct me if I'm wrong (Andrex, you probably know this) but theoretically, we could register a NeoGAF app (with Evilore's permission obviously) and people could just 'install' that app and get to a NeoGAF with all user's extensions in place without actually having to install any extension, am I right?

If you mean a CWS app then I don't know if that's possible because of all the permissions.

I definitely like the idea of a browser action for the bumped threads you're subscribed to. Of course, have an option to use desktop notifications for it.

For that I'm going to have to look into ways to transform HTML into JavaScript objects...

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
When are you gonna make an extension that tracks your posts?

Anyways, I have all the other ones installed. MAXIMUM GAF. I've put the Message extension to use since I get like, 20 PM's a day.

Zeppu

Andrex said:
For that I'm going to have to look into ways to transform HTML into JavaScript objects...

If you're using jquery, $("a[id^='thread_title_']") on the cp page would basically get you the links to all thread titles on page (and being User CP, it will only have unread ones). I'm fairly new to jquery overall so there's probably a better way to do it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
josephdebono said:
If you're using jquery, $("a[id^='thread_title_']") on the cp page would basically get you the links to all thread titles on page (and being User CP, it will only have unread ones). I'm fairly new to jquery overall so there's probably a better way to do it.

Oh yeah regexp's... >.> Thanks for that!

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Good job man.

But you know what extension I'd pay money to install? one that enhances the ignore function; removes the "show post/remove user from ignore list" box, and also removes every post quoting anyone ignored. That would be godlike, it'll make a lot of threads much more readable.

Sweet. Now all I need an icon for threads I've posted in...

Jinfash said:
Good job man.

But you know what extension I'd pay money to install? one that enhances the ignore function; removes the "show post/remove user from ignore list" box, and also removes every post quoting anyone ignored. That would be godlike, it'll make a lot of threads much more readable.

if i called you a pussy, would I make it on your ignore list?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Jinfash said:
Good job man.

That actually shouldn't be too hard to do... I'll keep it in mind.

Luckily for you dev's can't charge for extensions... yet. :p

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Smision said:
if i called you a pussy, would I make it on your ignore list?
No, it'll take more than that, like calling me a pussy while donning a pony avatar for instance.

Andrex said:
That actually shouldn't be too hard to do... I'll keep it in mind.
Sweet.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

NeoGAF Quick Reply is a "just-for-fun extension that adds a quick reply form to the bottom of every page in a thread on NeoGAF. Works well with the Live Updater extension, and includes the current three smilies from my NeoGAF Smilies extension."

Ironically, the smilies work better in the Quick Reply box than just purely with my other extension.

ssowinski

We need one that keeps track of the threads you post in. Perhaps even if someone quoted your previous post.

never even checked to see if the User CP allows you to do this without sending you PMs every time

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
ssowinski said:
We need one that keeps track of the threads you post in. Perhaps even if someone quoted your previous post.

[SPOLIER] never even checked to see if the User CP allows you to do this without sending you PMs every time [/SPOLIER]

Already posted about. Can't happen without Evilore either installing a vBulletin plugin or allowing me to upload a PHP script.

josephdebono said:
Yay!! Can't believe you're on 50 posts per page tho :p

:p I guess I never saw a reason to change it.

ssowinski

Andrex said:
Already posted about. Can't happen without Evilore either installing a vBulletin plugin or allowing me to upload a PHP script.

D'oh!

Plus you caught my typo. So much for the stealth edit.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
For the quick reply extension, there is a bug in that the normal post box is the same smaller size as the quick reply's, but if you're on Chrome, you can just grab the little handle and enlarge it anyways for now.

Mush

Yo Andrex, I'm a Chrome noob and I want to give it a go. Is there a thread or list somewhere of general browsing add-ons I should have installed?

Andrex said:
For the quick reply extension, there is a bug in that the normal post box is the same smaller size as the quick reply's, but if you're on Chrome, you can just grab the little handle and enlarge it anyways for now.

It's working fine for me, the normal box is the usual bigger size. Thanks for this though, so great.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Mush said:
Yo Andrex, I'm a Chrome noob and I want to give it a go. Is there a thread or list somewhere of general browsing add-ons I should have installed?

You can always check the Chrome OT for suggestions. Whatever's on the front page of the Chrome Web Store is usually worth checking out. And of course, you probably want to install all of the NeoGAF-optimizing Chrome extensions.

Treefingers said:
It's working fine for me, the normal box is the usual bigger size. Thanks for this though, so great.

Huh, weird. For me it's really stout.

PaulLFC

Great extensions! Using every GAF extension now, the one-click user post highlighting in the Keyboard Shortcuts extension is awesome.

One suggestion I have for the quick reply extension, is it possible to make the
post[/ quote]
text generated when you quote somebody appear in the quick reply box instead of going to a new page?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
PaulLFC said:
Great extensions! Using every GAF extension now, the one-click user post highlighting in the Keyboard Shortcuts extension is awesome.

One suggestion I have for the quick reply extension, is it possible to make the [quote ]post[/ quote] text generated when you quote somebody appear in the quick reply box instead of going to a new page?

Yeah, I am working on that. Have no ETA on it yet, though.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I am not a fan of the fact that Quick Reply shows up by default on every page. Could you add an option to make it so you can just push a Quick Reply button?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Drkirby said:
I am not a fan of the fact that Quick Reply shows up by default on every page. Could you add an option to make it so you can just push a Quick Reply button?

I can and I will, but I would like to know why you think this.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Andrex said:
I can and I will, but I would like to know why you think this.
I just like how the pages on Neogaf are really clean, just a wall of posts. The Text Filed at the bottom of every page just looks out of place being there at all times.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I'm sure you'd get used to it... And it's not like it uses its own design language, it's basically a slim version of the full post box.

That said it will be on the options page.... whenever I get around to that. :p

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Those are all the ones I'm using. I just can't wrap my head around the keyboard shortcut one.

Zeppu

Andrex said:
I just can't wrap my head around the keyboard shortcut one.

:(

press ?

Edit: To be fair, the user highlight post is probably the only part of the kb shortcuts i use constantly (and 't') and that would probably fit better in james' extension since it's basically an extension to his extension.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
josephdebono said:
:(

press ?

Edit: To be fair, the user highlight post is probably the only part of the kb shortcuts i use constantly (and 't') and that would probably fit better in james' extension since it's basically an extension to his extension.

as i said, the instant subscription button alone makes it completely useful. i also really enjoy just using R to reply, and i think the switching to my user panel with g+s works splendidly. you did a great job with it.

quick reply is sweet.

How hard would it be to make a "icon next to threads you've posted in" extension? Honest question, I'm completely ignorant of extension development. Just seems very necessary with this board's layout.

Jinfash said:
No, it'll take more than that, like calling me a pussy while donning a pony avatar for instance.

haha, i don't even use ignore lists, but that might push me over the edge!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Smision said:
quick reply is sweet.

How hard would it be to make a "icon next to threads you've posted in" extension? Honest question, I'm completely ignorant of extension development. Just seems very necessary with this board's layout.

It would be very difficult without some help on Evilore's part.

That said, setting your thread subscription mode to "No email subscription" practically does the same thing, and lists all the threads you've posted in here.

Hrm actually, I might be able to use that to tell you which threads you've posted in on the main forum pages...

Andrex said:
It would be very difficult without some help on Evilore's part.

That said, setting your thread subscription mode to "No email subscription" practically does the same thing, and lists all the threads you've posted in here.

Hrm actually, I might be able to use that to tell you which threads you've posted in on the main forum pages...

I wish the 'view first unread post' button worked on this forum. You can click the orange NeoGAF symbol and it tries, but it only works every now and then :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom