• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheExodu5

Banned
RS4- said:
When I come across some extra money I think I'll do watercooling. The FT02 seems to handle it quite well

The FT02 seems like a bit of a waste for watercooling, unless there are 3x 180mm rads out there. If there were, that would probably limit your GPU size quite a bit.

Wallach

evanft said:
Do any other keyboards use that key type?

Most laptops use scissor switches nowadays. As far as desktop keyboards, the newer Apple keyboards are scissor switches, and there's a couple Logitech boards that use them. There's another Logitech that I can't think of at the moment that has chiclet style keys (like a MBP).

Syphon Filter said:
Anyone tried the SteelSeries 6Gv2 mechanical keyboard? How is it?

I've never used that one specifically, but MX Black is a good gaming switch. A bit heavy for a mechanical switch but very smooth. I wouldn't buy one unless it was on sale though (like 60-70 USD), in the $100 price range it's not a great value next to something like a Leopold (110 USD at Elitekeyboards) which you could get with MX Brown instead of Black for lighter switches.

n0n44m

TheExodu5 said:
Just looked at the XSPC Rasa...pretty cool. Hadn't seen any kits before. One thing to note however, is that these kits are meant for CPU only. You'd want at least the dual 120mm rad for a CPU...there isn't that much benefit to going with a single 120mm rad over a good air cooler.

If I was watercooling, I'd probably go for the Corsair 800D. Only problem is that it will only mount a 3x 120mm rad. A lot of people cut out the bottom front of the case to fit another 2x 120mm rad there for GPU cooling.

Are there any other cases that will properly fit two 2x 120mm rads?

well my old CM 690 II can fit two of them but you won't have much space left lol

Silverstone TJ-07 for example can fit a lot in the bottom but it's pretty expensive

I just said F it and got a huge external radiator =]

---

FT02 is awesome but watercooling it requires some mods if you want to make full use of the space in the bottom

TheExodu5

Banned
The Logitech and Lycosa keys are much nicer than laptop keys though, since they have longer travel and are full sized.

The mac keyboard...looks nice, but I hate the empty space in between keys.

n0n44m said:
well my old CM 690 II can fit two of them but you won't have much space left lol

Silverstone TJ-07 for example can fit a lot in the bottom but it's pretty expensive

I just said F it and got a huge external radiator =]

---

FT02 is awesome but watercooling it requires some mods if you want to make full use of the space in the bottom

I've been looking through the murderbox gallery. *drool*

http://www.murderbox.com/gallery.html

clav

TheExodu5 said:
It's a scissor switch keyboard. Far better than membrane.
Scissor switches are not special. The only one I actual mildly enjoyed was the apple keyboard one.

Even so, it's worth it to go all out and get a mechanical keyboard, one that uses Cherry MX blue or brown switches since people are probably not willing to shell out more than those two types.

TheExodu5

Banned
claviertekky said:
Scissor switches are not special. The only one I actual mildly enjoyed was the apple keyboard one.

Even so, it's worth it to go all out and get a mechanical keyboard, one that uses Cherry MX blue switches.

The Illuminated is way better than the apple keyboards.

Personally, I can't go to mechanical...too noisy.

TheExodu5 said:
Yes. They are very responsive, and provide great tactile feeback, while being super quiet.
With the scissor switching, does it feel a lot like typing on a laptop keyboard? Never been a fan of laptop keyboards

·feist· said:
20110602230000.jpg

Apricorn PCI Drive Array
http://www.apricorn.com/product_detail.php?type=family&id=59

Apricorn Mac Array
http://www.apricorn.com/product_detail.php?type=family&id=71

PCIe_Comparison_table.jpg

akiba20110602__920.jpg
akiba20110602__922.jpg

akiba20110602__911a.jpg
akiba20110602__948.jpg
OH SHIT I WANT ONE lol, maybe in 5 years time when SSD's are a good size for a nice price, oh man.

clav

Syphon Filter said:
Anyone tried the SteelSeries 6Gv2 mechanical keyboard? How is it?

Yes. Worst keyboard I've typed on considering the price. You might as well go for a membrane keyboard.

Everyone's different though. Your experience with Cherry MX Blacks may differ from mine.

TheExodu5 said:
The Illuminated is way better than the apple keyboards.

Personally, I can't go to mechanical...too noisy.

Ah everyone's different. I have yet to try a Cherry MX Brown switches, but they're supposed to be quieter. Since I have not tried it myself, I can not recommend them yet.

TheExodu5

Banned
Mr Nightman said:
With the scissor switching, does it feel a lot like typing on a laptop keyboard? Never been a fan of laptop keyboards

Not really. There's about 2x as much travel as laptop keys, and the keys are full sized (and since they're flat, they're even a bit bigger than regular keys).

Wallach

Mr Nightman said:

The key travel/tactility is going to feel similar to something like a MacBook Pro. Shallow keys that have heavy tactility at the very top, then full collapse.

I don't have any special love for Cherry switches, personally, but I definitely prefer most of their switches to rubber domes and scissor switches (though I think the Illuminated would be way better than most scissor switches with full-size keys).

TheExodu5 said:
Not really. There's about 2x as much travel as laptop keys, and the keys are full sized (and since they're flat, they're even a bit bigger than regular keys).
glad to hear, well gunna order it then, thanks

TheExodu5

Banned
Oh, and the backlighting on the Illuminated is ace. Nicest backlighting I've seen on any keyboard. Barely any bleed.

Mr Nightman said:
glad to hear, well gunna order it then, thanks

Let me know how it works out. Not too many people I know one one, so I'm anxious to see what you think of it.

I've always hated laptop keys, myself. I always mistype since the size is so awkward and the feeback isn't very good. I went to my lab partner's place a few years back, and tries his brand new Illuminated. I had to order one the next day. Paid $110 for it (it was new and in low supply), and have not regretted it.

clav

I considered backlighting on my mechanical keyboard, but then I thought bought my keyboard label-less, so I'm not staring at the keys when I type.

2u4hc0g.jpg

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Basic Desktop Questions:
Your Current Specs: CPU / RAM (DDR2/DDR3) / Motherboard / GPU
2.53 gigahertz Intel Core i5 M 460 / 6GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 / Mobile Intel® 5 Series Express Chipset (HM57) / Intel® HD Graphics (It's a laptop)

Budget: Price Range + Country
1000-1200 - USA

Main Use: Light Gaming, Gaming, Emulation (PS2/Wii), Video Editing, 3D work, general usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback)

Gaming and Emulation. 95% gaming

Monitor Resolution: What resolution will you be playing your games at? Are you going to upgrade later?

Television - 720P

List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: Self Explanatory

Battlefield 3 and Trackmania 2 must be glorious

Are reusing any parts?: List make and model (e.g. Corsair 520HX 520W)

No

When will you build?: When do you want your computer, do you need it in a week, can you wait a month or two?

Two-three months

Will you be overclocking?: Yes, No, Maybe (This means yes)

No

TheExodu5 said:
Oh, and the backlighting on the Illuminated is ace. Nicest backlighting I've seen on any keyboard. Barely any bleed.

Let me know how it works out. Not too many people I know one one, so I'm anxious to see what you think of it.

I've always hated laptop keys, myself. I always mistype since the size is so awkward and the feeback isn't very good. I went to my lab partner's place a few years back, and tries his brand new Illuminated. I had to order one the next day. Paid $110 for it (it was new and in low supply), and have not regretted it.
Well its ordered, came out to 68 bucks, really excited to actually have a decent keyboard, I have always gotten cheapo ones, hell this gigabyte keyboard I am currently using is only like 8 months old, and the paints wearing off from beneath the space bar, ridiculous lol

Agent Icebeezy said:
When will you build?: When do you want your computer, do you need it in a week, can you wait a month or two?

Two-three months
You should come back when you're ready. Prices change, which can affect recommendations, and new tech will be out shortly along with leaks.

CaLe said:
Guys..

I'm absolutely in LOVE :

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=61717

Must...Restrain... Myself !!!

61717_1.jpg
Keep in mind, it's glossy.

60UOH.jpg

Some people hate that.

evanft

TheExodu5 said:

Doesn't it have a problem where you can't press 3 keys at once or something?

TheExodu5

Banned
evanft said:

I've heard a complaint about shift + W + space being blocking, but I can confirm that it is not an issue with mine. I was never able to confirm anything beyond that.

It does have some blocking combinations, like 123, and m,. but no meaningful combination that I've noticed. The matrix distribution seems pretty good.

Wallach

evanft said:

Yeah, the biggest downside for that board is that it is 2KRO. Even certain WASD 3 key combinations fail, which is disappointing for a modern USB keyboard. Probably mostly annoying for FPS stuff.

TheExodu5

Banned
I am running a test pressing wasd related combinations.

The following combinations are okay:

wasd
shift + wasd
ctrl + wasd
space + wasd
ctrl + shift + wasd
ctrl + shift + space + wasd
aw1
aw2
aw3
aw4
aw5
wd1
wd2
wd3
wd4
wd5
sd1
sd2
sd3
sd4
sd5
sa1
sa2
sa3
sa4
sa5
awq
awe
awr
awt
awf
wdq
wde
wdr
sdq
sde
sdr

I can't find any meaningful combination that's blocking.

Wallach

TheExodu5 said:
I am running a test pressing wasd related combinations.

The following combinations are okay:

I can't find any meaningful combination that's blocking.

Modifiers shouldn't cause a problem on any modern board. Does W/A/L.Sh/Space work?

CaLe

·feist· said:
You should come back when you're ready. Prices change, which can affect recommendations, and new tech will be out shortly along with leaks.

Keep in mind, it's glossy.

60UOH.jpg

Some people hate that.

You have it Feist.. ?

Yeah I saw that it's glossy, I think I won't mind it.

What I'm wondering is, will I be able to play 3D games on it using my 6870s.

RS4- said:
Damn, the XSPC Rasa kits aren't too expensive.
Which is one of the reasons people often buy them, instead of going with AIOs like the Corsair H70, Antec 920, or their OEM versions. The Rasa's one of the most popular kits of its type.

CaLe said:
You have it Feist.. ?

Yeah I saw that it's glossy, I think I won't mind it.

What I'm wondering is, will I be able to play 3D games on it using my 6870s.
I was just noticing it when it was first shown. My primaries are all matte. One of my other displays is glossy, and can be annoying depending on where it's used or what is viewed on it. It's currently in a corner, unplugged and unloved.

nilbog21

Banned
^nice rig

i got my msi hd6950 2gb gpu in the mail today, does anyone know how i can unlock the shader clocks? it is a reference model

Chris R

rhfb said:
Don't have the psu infront of me any more but I'm sure the 8 pin didn't split. Just checked my parts and I have two 2x Molex to 6 pin connectors that came with my 4870. Totally didn't think to check to see if my psu had the 4 pin when I ordered the mobo :/

Hope finding an adapter in town tomorrow isn't that hard.
Well I'm a dumb ass. 8x did split, I was just too tired to realize it. Lucky for me I didn't go and rashly order a part I didn't need! Reinstalling all my stuff now :D Good times.

Beaner

My computer is starting to die so I'm thinking about building a new one.

Your Current Specs: X6700 / 4GB / 680i / 2x 8800GTX
Budget: $1000 - $1400
Main Use: Gaming/General Usage
Monitor Resolution: 1680x1050 and/or 1080p
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: Hoping for Battlefield 3 on max, some future-proofing as well
Are reusing any parts?: Doubt it
When will you build?: Can wait from a week to October
Will you be overclocking?: No

I've been looking at the $1000 build, would a 580 be a good substitute for the 570 to be a little more future proof? I'm also preferring to go the Intel/nVidia route

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Beaner said:
My computer is starting to die so I'm thinking about building a new one.

Your Current Specs: X6700 / 4GB / 680i / 2x 8800GTX
Budget: $1000 - $1400
Main Use: Gaming/General Usage
Monitor Resolution: 1680x1050 and/or 1080p
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: Hoping for Battlefield 3 on max, some future-proofing as well
Are reusing any parts?: Doubt it
When will you build?: Can wait from a week to October
Will you be overclocking?: No

I've been looking at the $1000 build, would a 580 be a good substitute for the 570 to be a little more future proof? I'm also preferring to go the Intel/nVidia route
Yup. Maybe toss in an Intel 320/510 for good measure if you want.

Beaner

Hazaro said:
Yup. Maybe toss in an Intel 320/510 for good measure if you want.

I'll consider it thanks. I can't seem to find an HDMI port on the motherboard, and I've been looking at this card which doesn't seem to have one either. What should I be looking at in order to get HDMI support, a different motherboard?

I'd also like to get a soundcard if at all possible, any recommendations?

The Stealth Fox

I ran Prime95 with my AMD Phenom II X4 955... Temps got as high as 66 C on a stock cooler (according to HWMonitor)... is that dangerous? It's 41 C Idle.

I don't plan on overclocking, so is it still safe with the stock cooler or is this something I need to replace?

CaLe

Syphon Filter said:
How small we talking? I was looking into the g110.

To put it into perspective, I was unable to type properly.

I got this keyboard back then for work, and since I'm a programmer... I type quite a lot everyday.

I just couldn't do my job properly. I wasn't comfortable with the positioning of the keys and so I kept pressing the wrong ones, or looking at the keyboard as if I just started learning to type.

In contrast, the Illuminated keyboard feels very nice to press keys on, while also looking quite gorgeous...

nilbog21

Banned
is 3Dmark06 down? everytime it tries to submit the result at the end it says "submission failed" with error..

edit: can someone quickly check if it works for them?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Beaner said:
I'll consider it thanks. I can't seem to find an HDMI port on the motherboard, and I've been looking at this card which doesn't seem to have one either. What should I be looking at in order to get HDMI support, a different motherboard?

I'd also like to get a soundcard if at all possible, any recommendations?
Depending on the GPU it will have mini HDMI, HDMI, or a Display port.
That 580 has a mini HDMI.

If you'd like dual video out (beyond your GPU) You can get a Z68 motherboard which will allow boards to have HDMI out via board, and GPU out. I'd stick with one less thing that could go wrong and get a P67, as well as save you a bit of money.

As for sound, onboard is surprisingly good. If you'd like a $30 PCI card, the Xonar DG has my support, especially since it has has a headphone amp built in). If you want to spend more, you probably already have a bigger audio system setup and should ask head-fi.org.
The Stealth Fox said:
I ran Prime95 with my AMD Phenom II X4 955... Temps got as high as 66 C on a stock cooler (according to HWMonitor)... is that dangerous? It's 41 C Idle.

I don't plan on overclocking, so is it still safe with the stock cooler or is this something I need to replace?
That is normal and fine. All load programs stress much harder than actual use, and those temps are in range anyway.

squinters

astigmatic
I need some help with my computer.

I built a computer a couple months ago with an SSD as the boot drive and a Hard Drive as the main storage. It's been working fine until today. All of a sudden, my computer can't access the hard drive. It's able to see it in disc management and the device manager, but I can't find it at all when looking in my computer. I tried to start Steam up and it said it couldn't find the .exe. I've tried a system restore, but I don't know what else to do.

Any ideas?

squicken

squinters said:
I need some help with my computer.

I built a computer a couple months ago with an SSD as the boot drive and a Hard Drive as the main storage. It's been working fine until today. All of a sudden, my computer can't access the hard drive. It's able to see it in disc management and the device manager, but I can't find it at all when looking in my computer. I tried to start Steam up and it said it couldn't find the .exe. I've tried a system restore, but I don't know what else to do.

Any ideas?

Isn't system restore a little flaky with SSDs? Either way it sounds like something has gone wrong with either the mechanical drive or Windows. Do you have an external enclosure? Able to connect it to a different PC?

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/guide-to-using-check-disk-in-windows-vista/

You can run Check Disk but that will take several hours.

n0n44m

RS4- said:
Damn, the XSPC Rasa kits aren't too expensive.

yeah they're competetively priced, good blocks and decent radiators ... miles better than those terrible H50 and its single 120 mm closed system brothers hehe (interested to see if the dual120 versions of these closed system will be much better)

just remember that the pump in these Rasa kits isn't the greatest one out there quality wise

n0n44m

yeah the Rasa kits are nice for their price/performance, if you can spend more just buy separate components ... I got stuff from like 8 different brands in my loop =]

Yoritomo

Done overclocking.

Got the 2500k at 4.65 Ghz at 1.3 vcore. The new power supply and case seem to be doing wonders for the ole video card as well. 470GTX is at 815 core clock 1875 memory. In my old case and old power supply I couldn't get it above 740.

arotator

Neo Member
Any comments or major concerns on this DIY kit from Newegg?

This SuperCombo includes:

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor (Model:BX80623I52500K)
GIGABYTE LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Motherboard (Model:GA-Z68A-D3H-B3)
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Desktop Memory (Model:CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B)
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive (Model:ST31000524AS)
LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+/-R - OEM
Rosewill FUTURE Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Rosewill Green Series 630W Continuous @40°C,80 PLUS Certified, Single 12V Rail, Active PFC "Compatible with Core i7,i5" Power Supply (Model:RG630-S12)
Futuremark Gift - Shattered Horizons - The Last Stand Pack

Total = $560 (and no rebates!)

This will be replacing the HTPC I have in my living room, I'm giving the older one to my Mom. I want to be able to play the Witcher 2 on high settings and be as future proof as possible. Will probably get the best value DX 11 card I can find for the price. A couple weeks ago that was the 560ti but I'll have to take a look again (been out of the country). Not worried about overclocking the i5 yet, so I'm not planning on getting an aftermarket cooler for the processor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom