• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaLe

I just remembered that I didn't post pics of my new system since I received it. Here they are, thanks Gaf !:

2v8lm2x.jpg
2hprlzp.jpg

mx0ntl.jpg

JohngPR

I'm selling a sealed copy of Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64-bit 1 pack OEM for system builders for $80 shipped.

I had bought it for the PC I built in January, but a buddy of mine had an unused code for Windows 7 Ultimate that he gave me.

Anyone interested? PM me!

nilbog21

Banned
^nice Cale, i just got that case and it's pretty slick ^^

Regarding my HD6950: I unlocked the shader clock to 1535 by modifiying the bios. What should I set the Core clock and Memory Clock to now? Default was 800, 1250, respectively. I OC'd to 875/1450 (no idea what I'm doing), get 27,000~ on 3DMark06, and the GPU temps max at 77.

What do you guys think? I'm really a noob when it comes to OC.

knitoe

arotator said:
Any comments or major concerns on this DIY kit from Newegg?

This SuperCombo includes:

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor (Model:BX80623I52500K)
GIGABYTE LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Motherboard (Model:GA-Z68A-D3H-B3)
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Desktop Memory (Model:CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B)
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive (Model:ST31000524AS)
LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+/-R - OEM
Rosewill FUTURE Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Rosewill Green Series 630W Continuous @40°C,80 PLUS Certified, Single 12V Rail, Active PFC "Compatible with Core i7,i5" Power Supply (Model:RG630-S12)
Futuremark Gift - Shattered Horizons - The Last Stand Pack

Total = $560 (and no rebates!)

This will be replacing the HTPC I have in my living room, I'm giving the older one to my Mom. I want to be able to play the Witcher 2 on high settings and be as future proof as possible. Will probably get the best value DX 11 card I can find for the price. A couple weeks ago that was the 560ti but I'll have to take a look again (been out of the country). Not worried about overclocking the i5 yet, so I'm not planning on getting an aftermarket cooler for the processor.
For $20, you can get a 212+ and overclock the CPU to 4.5GHz which would make a huge difference in Witcher 2. And, i would go with a better branded PSU. It's one of the most important part in the computer, and unlike most, I wouldn't try saving a few bucks here.

cyen

Better not overclock if u dont know what youre doing :p but that clocks seem ok, i have mine at 6970 stock clocks 880/1375.

Just go 10mhz up and loop some 3dmark or play some demanding games to see if its ok. Pay attention specialy to the vram overclock.

knitoe

nilbog21 said:
^nice Cale, i just got that case and it's pretty slick ^^

Regarding my HD6950: I unlocked the shader clock to 1535 by modifiying the bios. What should I set the Core clock and Memory Clock to now? Default was 800, 1250, respectively. I OC'd to 875/1450 (no idea what I'm doing), get 27,000~ on 3DMark06, and the GPU temps max at 77.

What do you guys think? I'm really a noob when it comes to OC.
Did you only unlock the shader or did you flash with 6970 bios. If it's the first, as long as you are not getting artifacts and errors, it's fine. If it's the later, careful since it 6970 bios increases voltages which 6950 aren't design to run with.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Yoritomo said:
Done overclocking.

Got the 2500k at 4.65 Ghz at 1.3 vcore. The new power supply and case seem to be doing wonders for the ole video card as well. 470GTX is at 815 core clock 1875 memory. In my old case and old power supply I couldn't get it above 740.
4.65?

I'd keep BLCK at 100.0Mhz. Still don't know if running it above 100 can actually cause problems, but something in me thinks that the base clock determining everything else should be locked at 100.0

It's not worth the possibility over 0.05Ghz imo

knitoe

Hazaro said:
4.65?

I'd keep BLCK at 100.0Mhz. Still don't know if running it above 100 can actually cause problems, but something in me thinks that the base clock determining everything else should be locked at 100.0

It's not worth the possibility over 0.05Ghz imo
Yeah. Keep BLK at 100.

nilbog21

Banned
knitoe said:
Did you only unlock the shader or did you flash with 6970 bios. If it's the first, as long as you are not getting artifacts and errors, it's fine. If it's the later, careful since it 6970 bios increases voltages which 6950 aren't design to run with.

i did not flash to 6970 bios - I flashed it with a modified 6950 bios.

so how does ~27,000 3dMark06 benchmark score compare to other 700$ rigs? how did i do

n0n44m

well having a higher baseclock won't physically damage anything, but gains are really non-existent whereas chances of instability greatly increase

so yeah why risk getting, for example, data corruption because of a SATA controller malfunction for just 50 mhz :p

arotator

Neo Member
knitoe said:
For $20, you can get a 212+ and overclock the CPU to 4.5GHz which would make a huge difference in Witcher 2. And, i would go with a better branded PSU. It's one of the most important part in the computer, and unlike most, I wouldn't try saving a few bucks here.

Thanks for the input. Is the PSU a deal breaker in your opinion? Since it's a DIY kit I'll be purchasing the PSU regardless.

I realize that combo doesn't have the best components, but it is about $100-150 less than systems I was assembling by myself a week and a half ago. Not thrilled about the case, the mobo, the PSU, or the HD (they wouldn't be my first choice, but none have terrible reviews). But unless there are some major issues, it looks like a good deal from my perspective. I also like that the PSU is 80 plus certified and the wattage I was looking for.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
arotator said:
Any comments or major concerns on this DIY kit from Newegg?

This SuperCombo includes:

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor (Model:BX80623I52500K)
GIGABYTE LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Motherboard (Model:GA-Z68A-D3H-B3)
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Desktop Memory (Model:CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B)
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive (Model:ST31000524AS)
LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+/-R - OEM
Rosewill FUTURE Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Rosewill Green Series 630W Continuous @40°C,80 PLUS Certified, Single 12V Rail, Active PFC "Compatible with Core i7,i5" Power Supply (Model:RG630-S12)
Futuremark Gift - Shattered Horizons - The Last Stand Pack

Total = $560 (and no rebates!)

This will be replacing the HTPC I have in my living room, I'm giving the older one to my Mom. I want to be able to play the Witcher 2 on high settings and be as future proof as possible. Will probably get the best value DX 11 card I can find for the price. A couple weeks ago that was the 560ti but I'll have to take a look again (been out of the country). Not worried about overclocking the i5 yet, so I'm not planning on getting an aftermarket cooler for the processor.
Honestly, it's pretty solid. PSU is fine (esp rated at 40C).
I don't like the Seagate that much, but it is not a deal breaker at all.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Seep said:
That's where I'm up to with parts for my PC, what PSU and CPU cooler would you guys recommend?
CPU HSF = Cooler Master Hyper 212+ http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/components/cooling/cpucoolers/RR-B10-212P-GP.html

PSU = Corsair TX series http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/components/powersupplies/corsair/cmpsu-650txv2uk.html

Go for a higher wattage if you plan to SLI in the future.

Eco-friendly drives like Caviar Greens aren't recommended as OS drives... grab something like a Samsung Spinpoint instead if you can.

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/...-internal/sata500gbto1tb/samsung/hd103sj.html

dani_dc

Any suggestions for a 20-22 inches monitor at around $130 with a resolution of 1920x1080?

Friend of mine old monitor died so he's looking to replace it.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
**Quick, I need titles for |OT2|!

Seep said:
I'd get a Samsung F3 1TB.

CX430w on budget, OCZ ModXStream 500w if you want modular and to spend a bit more. Corsair 750W V2 if you want SLi/xFire later.
CM 212+ for HS.
arotator said:
Which GFX card?

An XFX 2 GB 6950 clocked at 800 mhz?

Or

An EVGA 1 GB 560ti clocked at 850 mhz?

Or something else around the same price range (~$250)?

The 560ti will be about $30 cheaper when all is said and done.

If I recall correctly the 2GB 6950's can be clocked/hacked to 6970s, is that right?
That 6950 is not reference so its a biiiiiit more iffy and risky. Still, both cards are really solid. Pick which brand you prefer! Alternatively check benchmarks to see if one has a decent advantage in a game you play a lot or want to run better.

Jin34

Alright guys I've had it with my wireless card and want a new one, what are some of the best?

- Can be either PCI or PCI-E
- I don't have an N router but since I will be buying this now it's probably better that the card is N.
- Are high gain antennas worth it? My signal is between 2 or 3 bars and struggles to stream 720p vids from my computer to the PS3 or 360.

- Can custom firmware on your router improve your signal?

- My OS is Windows 7 64-bit in case of drivers.

- Distance from router isn't far but it goes through cement walls.

Lkr

is this still the appropriate thread? i hope so at least. anyway, how much of an improvement am I looking at if I upgrade to a GTX 560 Ti and an i7 or i5 snb from a phenom ii x3 720(unlocked to x4 and OC'd to 3GHz) and a GTS 250? I play at 1360x768. Is it big enough to warrant the money?

Lkr

Jin34 said:
Alright guys I've had it with my wireless card and want a new one, what are some of the best?

- Can be either PCI or PCI-E
- I don't have an N router but since I will be buying this now it's probably better that the card is N.
- Are high gain antennas worth it? My signal is between 2 or 3 bars and struggles to stream 720p vids from my computer to the PS3 or 360.

- Can custom firmware on your router improve your signal?

- My OS is Windows 7 64-bit in case of drivers.
How far are you from your router? I always have problems with wireless streaming, which is why everything important is now wired. Since the PS3 only does G, it pisses me off to try and stream shit to the family room. What card do you have now? I have a DWA-530 and it works fine in Vista/7 but is a pain in the ass on XP, but its XP. I also have 2 no name PCI adapters: I couldn't get one to work in XP and the other was a pain in the ass to get working on 7.
I've learned that wireless cards are the biggest hit or miss in the world. The WUSB54G always worked fine for me, and I never had a problem with the WUSB54GC stick version. As long as the drivers were installed from the website or CD, problems never arose. Vista/7 installed the drivers automatically. Despite this, they still have average to mediocre reviews on websites.

Jin34

Lkr said:
How far are you from your router? I always have problems with wireless streaming, which is why everything important is now wired. Since the PS3 only does G, it pisses me off to try and stream shit to the family room. What card do you have now? I have a DWA-530 and it works fine in Vista/7 but is a pain in the ass on XP, but its XP. I also have 2 no name PCI adapters: I couldn't get one to work in XP and the other was a pain in the ass to get working on 7.

I knew I forgot to mention something, its not far but they are cement walls. Right now I have an Edimax 7128g.

f0rk

Lkr said:
is this still the appropriate thread? i hope so at least. anyway, how much of an improvement am I looking at if I upgrade to a GTX 560 Ti and an i7 or i5 snb from a phenom ii x3 720(unlocked to x4 and OC'd to 3GHz) and a GTS 250? I play at 1360x768. Is it big enough to warrant the money?

I'd get a better monitor first, a lot of the upgrade is wasted at that resolution.

Lkr

f0rk said:
I'd get a better monitor first, a lot of the upgrade is wasted at that resolution.
I have it hooked up to my 720p TV, so my problem arises with the question of where to move the TV. I have nowhere else to put anything right now, so I'm in a predicament :(

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Jin34 said:
I knew I forgot to mention something, its not far but they are cement walls. Right now I have an Edimax 7128g.
For some reason, wireless NICs which use Ralink chipsets don't play nice with 64-bit W7 + more than 3gb of RAM - causes random CPU spikes and freezing if you hit a certain download amount/speed. The problem still hasn't been fixed even with the latest drivers. =| So be sure to avoid Ralink for your new wireless card.

Jin34

f0rk said:

Not necessairly, I have 4850 (close to his card) and my monitor is 1680 x 1050 but my HDTV is 720p and that allows me to play at higher settings, with a 560 Ti at 720p he could conceivably play most games maxed out and have room in some games for extra AA settings through Inspector.

Jin34

ExMachina said:
For some reason, wireless NICs which use Ralink chipsets don't play nice with 64-bit W7 + more than 3gb of RAM - causes random CPU spikes and freezing if you hit a certain download amount/speed. The problem still hasn't been fixed even with the latest drivers. =| So be sure to avoid Ralink for your new wireless card.

Well damn that's what that is? I remember the freezing problem but I think that was fixed through Windows update, the cpu spikes are still there (I've had this card for so long I thought that was normal). If the card's chipset starts with RT that means it's from Ralink right?

Lkr

Jin34 said:
Well damn that's what that is? I remember the freezing problem but I think that was fixed through Windows update, the cpu spikes are still there (I've had this card for so long I thought that was normal). If the card's chipset starts with RT that means it's from Ralink right?
yes

So, build complete, running great! Thanks PC-GAF! Wrinkle: I was given a 22" BenQ monitor a couple years ago. Used a few times, but essentially new. I kept it for this build, as the 1280x1024 native res of my then-current Syncmaster was stressing my FX-53 / 6800 Ultra to their limits.

So, I hook it up today, do some Googling... It's not HDCP compliant. I have a couple BRDs in the new rig, so this is an issue. Anyone have a recommendation? 24" / 1080p is preferred, no TN panels.

Thanks!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Lkr said:
I have it hooked up to my 720p TV, so my problem arises with the question of where to move the TV. I have nowhere else to put anything right now, so I'm in a predicament :(
In that case the card is just overkill. A 460/6850 will probably max everything you throw at it for a lot less. I wouldn't get anything better unless you were confident you were going to get a higher resolution monitor/TV in the foreseeable future.

I would like to thank this thread, for helping me build my new PC which i am posting from now, so far so good. I am loving it!

I used the $1000 build on the op, almost the only thing different from it is the brand of the motherboard(asus pro), gpu(xfx 6950 2g) and didnt use an aftermarket cooler (not planning on over clocking for the time being.

Again thank you very much :)

http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/pho...314514&Signature=2k3ed7Pl3PGm7bhcCoAewWCMD4Y=

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom