• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Holy crap i thought i was gpu limited on a i7 930 @ 3.5 amd 7970. Bf3 is so much smoother on a 3770k. Pleasantly surprised :) Didn't even fresh install!

Really?

What video card? I always feel like I'm GPU limited on my 930 @ 3.4. I have a OC'd 570 right now, and most the time my GPU utilization is at 99%, but my CPU usage is less than 70% on every core.

AlexBasch

Another question for you all. When do I need to apply thermal paste? I'm getting another motherboard but will keep on using the same processor and heatsink.

Even if I have good temps and I'll just switch things from one board to the other do I need to apply it? Or is it only when you're having overheating issues or installing brand new stuff? Thanks in advance.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Really?

What video card? I always feel like I'm GPU limited on my 930 @ 3.4. I have a OC'd 570 right now, and most the time my GPU utilization is at 99%, but my CPU usage is less than 70% on every core.

I thought the same thing but I was never able to run with HBAO and AA at max the way it's running now.

I didn't think going from a 930 to ivy bridge would make that big of a difference in gpu heavy games like bf3. It probably has to do with how intense multiplayer is. I do have faster ram and pcie 3.0 maybe that helps.

5. A suggestion for a case would be helpful. Kind of want something sleek and simplistic.
Definitely not as sleek or simple looking as the Fractal cases, but the Lian Li Lancool pc-k63 (people either like the look of it or hate it) has a nice set of features and moves a lot of air. And it's at a good price right now with promo code. Probably shouldn't be listed as a mid-tower though. It's a little bigger. I have the pc-k62 and would really like to switch to this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112320&Tpk=lancool pc-k63

I was ready and I had the cash saved up for an upgrade from my current i7-950@4.0 ghz box to Ivy Bridge. Now I'm not so sure, the money spent just doesn't seem worth it to me.

Maybe I'll buy a new laptop instead, my current one recently passed 3 years of service and I've dropped it a number of times. I actually pulled the optical drive out because it was so fucked from being dropped and would lock the machine on wakeup from sleep.

Is there a Laptop-GAF who can advise me on a new laptop? I really want an IPS screen in the 14-15" range with a decent resolution, if such a thing exists. Decent quality sound out of built-in speakers and good audio out of the headphone jack is a priority. HDMI output would be a plus as well.

Karmum

Banned
Man, loading games are sooo smooth and quick. It's pretty crazy that I've filled up this whole SSD almost. I'll have ~30GB left after BF3 finishes installing. Hopefully cram a few more games in there.

MrBig

Man, loading games are sooo smooth and quick. It's pretty crazy that I've filled up this whole SSD almost. I'll have ~30GB left after BF3 finishes installing. Hopefully cram a few more games in there.

I'd slow down on that. SSDs lose performance and stability as you get them near capacity. Should have gotten a bigger one if you were planning on installing all your games to it.
e: by that I mean <5gb range.

kharma45

[*]Graphics Card: GTX560Ti

3. Is there a potentially better bang/buck graphics card I should get? Currently planning to play D3 at 1650x1050 and near max settings would be nice. There are a few other games I play too like SC2, RE6 (in the future), and a few steam games like Batman: AA/AC.

If you can afford the extra outlay I'd go for the 7850 with a good cooler like the MSI ones and OC the hell out of it, beast of a card for the price.

It and the 670 are the two cards in their respective sweet points, hard to look past either (depending on budget of course).

Karmum

Banned
I'd slow down on that. SSDs lose performance and stability as you get them near capacity. Should have gotten a bigger one if you were planning on installing all your games to it.
e: by that I mean <5gb range.
Heh, wasn't ready to cough up like another $100+ for double the amount of memory. Don't think I'll get below the 5GB range, the last few games I want to get on there are actually pretty small.

Ledsen

I was actually surprised at how little space I really NEEDED when I installed my SSD. Most of the stuff that fills up a normal 1TB+ HDD is stuff you never use or just "archive" on there. Windows, all the necessary programs, and a couple of games, and I've still got ~60 GB free on my 128 GB drive.

I was actually surprised at how little space I really NEEDED when I installed my SSD. Most of the stuff that fills up a normal 1TB+ HDD is stuff you never use or just "archive" on there. Windows, all the necessary programs, and a couple of games, and I've still got ~60 GB free on my 128 GB drive.

Your average MMO is ~10-20GB in size. Install a few of those and you'll find yourself burning through HDD space like no tomorrow.

MrBig

Your average MMO is ~10-20GB in size. Install a few of those and you'll find yourself burning through HDD space like no tomorrow.

Yep. I'm banking on 256gb SSDs getting to the <$150 range by the end of the year when Windows 8 comes out so I can grab one of those and do a clean install onto W8. Will be using W8 CP/RC as my only OS though when I build with an HDD soon, since it's pointless for me to buy another W7 license and I want to sell this laptop.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Hey guys, if you were to upgrade 1-2 things in my PC what would they be?

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Processor @ 3.40 GHz
RAM: 8 GB (4x 2GB)
Video Card: eVGA GTX 460
PSU: Corsair VX 450W
HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB
Case: Coolermaster Elite 330U

I mostly game - World of Warcraft, D3 next week. Planning to play Borderlands when it comes out.

I'm thinking just a RAM upgrade would suffice.

Ok GAF, I've decided to jump the fence and build myself a computer, and as soon as i manage to sell my mac pro I'll order the following pieces, would like some feedback about it.

Case: fractal Arc Midi
Motherboard: Asus P8z77-v
Processor: Intel i73770k
GPU: AMD 7950 3GB
Ram: corsair 16gb DDR3 1600Mhz-999 Vengeance
Cooling system: Corsair H100
Power Supply: Corair TX850

Thanks, and lots of love for this thread and the community that drives it, it's awesome and has helped me a lot :)

1-D_FTW

Hey guys, if you were to upgrade 1-2 things in my PC what would they be?

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Processor @ 3.40 GHz
RAM: 8 GB (4x 2GB)
Video Card: eVGA GTX 460
PSU: Corsair VX 450W
HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB
Case: Coolermaster Elite 330U

I mostly game - World of Warcraft, D3 next week. Planning to play Borderlands when it comes out.

I'm thinking just a RAM upgrade would suffice.

For gaming? Adding more RAM is going to benefit you none. And I mean literally. On a scale of 0 to 1,000,000, it's going to provide 0.

K' Dash

So guys, I'm thinking of replacing the 6870 for the PC I'm building for a beefier 7850, now, I'm importing everything from the US, is there any reliable place online where I can buy the 7850 for under $250?, newegg is sold out and the ones on amazon are $260 and up from sellers :-/

MooMoo

Updated my post with links!
Hey PC-GAF. Building a PC has always been on my list of things to do and it seems like I finally might have the money to do so! It has been a while since I've actually looked at/built a desktop though, so advice would be appreciated :3

I'll take a stab at your questions.

1. Most mobos have additional usb i/o connector ports near the front of the motherboard. Whatever case you have, the case's front usb ports must be connected to those usb connector ports on the motherboard. Look at your motherboard and/or case manual for more info.

Cool, that's what I kind of figured. Does the motherboard I have now have what I need to be able to do such a thing?

Thanks for the tips! I think I'll go with EVGA just for ease of mind. Don't really mind spending the extra$ 20 for brand name.

Definitely not as sleek or simple looking as the Fractal cases, but the Lian Li Lancool pc-k63 (people either like the look of it or hate it) has a nice set of features and moves a lot of air. And it's at a good price right now with promo code. Probably shouldn't be listed as a mid-tower though. It's a little bigger. I have the pc-k62 and would really like to switch to this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112320&Tpk=lancool pc-k63
I think I'm gonna go with shinobi. I like the one you linked but I kinda want to take the minimalistic look a step further. My current desktop is pretty much a frankenstein (still love it though <3) so I want to do a complete 180 in terms of looks/design. Thanks for the suggestion anyways!

If you can afford the extra outlay I'd go for the 7850 with a good cooler like the MSI ones and OC the hell out of it, beast of a card for the price.

It and the 670 are the two cards in their respective sweet points, hard to look past either (depending on budget of course).
Could you check my current configuration and see if I would have the extra outlay?

I have a few other questions:
1. I know dmann recommended me to just get thermal paste, but I'm assuming this isn't a requirement (i.e. my desktop won't melt if I don't do it -- currently not planning to OC but may do so in the future)? It sure as hell looks like a simple enough process but I'm just a little hesitant in doing it myself I guess.

2. What about cooling? Will I need additional fans or the like? Or will I be fine with just buying the parts listed above?

3. What can I expect in terms of sound level/loudness? My current desktop really sounds like a plane taking off and I can pretty much hear it from the other end of the house whenever it's on.

MrBig

Alright, I've finally got my specs set in stone.

The benches of the 670 at 2560 convinced me to go $100 over budget. Hopefully it just means I can go an extra year or two without upgrading the GPU, and do that when I do a full system upgrade.
Just buying everything in stages as money comes in, probably going to be a week or three until I'll actually be building :(

1-D_FTW

So guys, I'm thinking of replacing the 6870 for the PC I'm building for a beefier 7850, now, I'm importing everything from the US, is there any reliable place online where I can buy the 7850 for under $250?, newegg is sold out and the ones on amazon are $260 and up from sellers :-/

Any particuliar reason you can't do 260?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...C-Froogle-_-Video+Cards-_-GIGABYTE-_-14125419

You could easily sell that Dirt Showdown coupon to get that money back.

Otherwise, Provantage has one for 244.xxx

http://www.provantage.com/sapphire-technology-11200-20g~7SAPP06N.htm

I don't vouch for the guys, but I do think I've ordered once or twice without issues.

kharma45

Could you check my current configuration and see if I would have the extra outlay?

At the minute you're $347.28 under your $1000 budget so a 7850 is easily attainable.

I've no real idea what the prices are like over there in the US but as a direct comparison this is £40 less than I paid here for my 7850

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127663&Tpk=msi 7850

Unfortunate that one is out of stock as I'm very, very pleased with my TFIII one. The Asus and Sapphire ones are OoS too annoyingly and I don't really know much about the rest with regards to how good they are.

The HIS one seems pretty cheap at $220 after rebate so could be worth a serious look although I don't know much about them as a brand with regards to reliability etc.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161406

K' Dash

Any particuliar reason you can't do 260?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...C-Froogle-_-Video+Cards-_-GIGABYTE-_-14125419

You could easily sell that Dirt Showdown coupon to get that money back.

Otherwise, Provantage has one for 244.xxx

http://www.provantage.com/sapphire-technology-11200-20g~7SAPP06N.htm

I don't vouch for the guys, but I do think I've ordered once or twice without issues.

does the brand really matter? I mean, I don't mind getting a gygabyte instead of a saphire if it is the same thing.

1-D_FTW

does the brand really matter? I mean, I don't mind getting a gygabyte instead of a saphire if it is the same thing.

My old 8800GT was a Gigabyte and it left me with a good impression when it came to Gigabyte and GPUs. I certainly wouldn't have issues with purchasing another Gigabyte branded GPU.

Cptkrush

Ok, it's time for a new processor and Mobo as I have come to a situation where i need to sell the old one to a friend asap. Now, I would like an upgrade from what I have Phenom II x4 925 O.C. at 3.4ghz. I would really like to find a used i5-2500k for under 160 bucks, but It seems i've been unable to and this needs to happen by tuesday. So, I'm wondering now, with O.C. included, would it be a better upgrade from what I have to go with the FX-8120 over an i3?
I'm about to pull the trigger on this combo:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103961
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157280

for the price, is there anything better(needs to have crossfire support as well)? Keep in mind, it would have to out perform my PII 925.

Also, what's a good price for the old CPU and mobo combo? The mobo is an msi 770g45. I told him maybe 75 and he seems ok with it, however, he's desperate for a cheap combo.

Edit: sorry forgot to include budget, I'd like to stay under 250 bucks total.

Sethos

Banned
Brand does matter when it comes to RMA, for sure. ( This chart is EU focused )

3graphicscardwarrantym3u1s.jpg

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18231329

Ok GAF, I've decided to jump the fence and build myself a computer, and as soon as i manage to sell my mac pro I'll order the following pieces, would like some feedback about it.

Case: fractal Arc Midi
Motherboard: Asus P8z77-v
Processor: Intel i73770k
GPU: AMD 7950 3GB
Ram: corsair 16gb DDR3 1600Mhz-999 Vengeance
Cooling system: Corsair H100
Power Supply: Corair TX850

Thanks, and lots of love for this thread and the community that drives it, it's awesome and has helped me a lot :)

I would go for the Geforce GTX 670 instead of the 7950 since they are at same price but the 670 easily outclasses it.

Hi guys, want to say thanks to everyone in this thread, particularly Hazaro and mkenyon. I wouldn't have been able to build this new computer without the help I had here. I absolutely love my new computer, it is ultrasilent (my old box was LOUD) and really fast.

Some final questions:

• When I first powered on the machine after booting it, there was some message like 'first time running a new CPU, please press F1 to enter setup'). At that time, I just powered off until the next morning...I was simply testing to see if I did everything right. But I never saw that message again. Did I miss an important step or nah? Guessing it was nothing vital.

• I don't see an option to go into the BIOS upon boot up, it just goes straight into XP within seconds. How I can get into the BIOS? Want to check some stuff.

edit: Motherboard is an ASUS P8Z77-V LK

1-D_FTW

Hi guys, want to say thanks to everyone in this thread, particularly Hazaro and mkenyon. I wouldn't have been able to build this new computer without the help I had here. I absolutely love my new computer, it is ultrasilent (my old box was LOUD) and really fast.

Some final questions:

• When I first powered on the machine after booting it, there was some message like 'first time running a new CPU, please press F1 to enter setup'). At that time, I just powered off until the next morning...I was simply testing to see if I did everything right. But I never saw that message again. Did I miss an important step or nah? Guessing it was nothing vital.

• I don't see an option to go into the BIOS upon boot up, it just goes straight into XP within seconds. How I can get into the BIOS? Want to check some stuff.

F1? :lol

yeah I've tried spamming F1 to get in from the second I hit the power button and it just goes into the OS. Will try a few more times, maybe I'm not hitting it fast enough. haha

Zeth

I'm hoping to do a build around the 670 in the next month or so. I'm looking for CPU recommendations. Will it be bottlenecked in any way by something like the 2500k? I'm trying to stay close to the $1k mark (if possible).

edit: I've noticed newegg has some ok-looking deals for bundles of parts that exclude a gpu, letting you pick your own. This is new to me, are these things ever any good or should I get my parts individually? It's been quite a few years since I last built a PC so I'm way out of the loop.

Trey

Having a bit of trouble OCing. I have the CPU voltage set in the motherboard at 1.25, but CPU-z is reporting 1.31-1.35.

http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=untitledb0dqn.png

Followed the OP guide. I have the P8Z68-V LX mobo, so I'm assuming that's why the BIOS interface looks slightly different from the guide's. Everything is stable, just don't know why the report is off from the CPU voltage value in the BIOS.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Hey GAF, just wanted to pop in and get some feedback. Been a PC gamer for a while but mostly operated on hand-me-downs and dell factory computers. This will be the first time I've built a PC and I'm pretty excited to see what kind of performance I can get with a custom build. Thank you Hazaro and mkenyon and everyone else who helped put together an excellent thread and support guide, it's really appreciated.

Here's my answer to the basic questions:

Your Current Specs: Dell Studio 15 Laptop (just graduated from being a poor student to a slightly less poor office drone)

Budget: < or = ~1100 USD

Main Use:
Gaming 5
General Use 4
HD Streaming 3
Emulation n/a
3D Work n/a

Monitor Resolution: 720 or 1080 and yes I am looking to purchase a monitor.

List of SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play:

Witcher 2, Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, Portal 2, Left 4 Dead 2, Bioshock Series, Team Fortress 2, Half-Life 3 (lol)

When will you build?: It can wait a month or two, aiming to have it ready to roll by August.

Will you be overclocking: Maybe (I realise this means yes but I never have before so I probably won't until warranties run out)

Here are the parts I've picked out so far.

Case: BitFenix Shinobi Window ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @ NCIX US)

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Microcenter)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.90 @ NCIX US)

Motherboard: Biostar TZ77XE3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($137.55 @ Newegg)

Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)

Hard Drive: Crucial M4 64GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($92.93 @ B&H)

Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 6870 1GB Video Card ($159.99 @ NCIX US)

Power Supply: Antec 550W ATX12V Power Supply ($59.24 @ Newegg)

Monitor: Acer S201HLbd 20.0" Monitor ($108.98 @ Newegg)

Total: $1028.52 USD

First off, let me know if anything jumps out at you as being a bad choice or you think could be upgraded or switched out for something better. Here are my specific questions:

1) I already have a hard drive and an external HD that I'll use for my gaming installs and music and such. Thusly I went for a SSD as I've heard that SSD is good to keep for your operating system as it lasts longer and can have better load times. Is that true and/or a sound investment? Also what should I install on the SSD and what to relegate to the regular HD?

2) I picked that monitor mostly due to the price and it is quite variable. Anyone have a recommendation for a 20 or 24"? I don't mind going slightly over-budget in that category as it's fairly important.

3) I'm a bit anxious about the assembly. I've never built a computer before and the most maintenance I ever did was switching out the hard drive and undervolting my laptop. Since this is my first go and I'm spending a good deal of money, I'm worried about screwing up. I recently moved back to the states so I don't have any computer minded friends to help me out. Should I take the parts to a shop? Are there places that aid with assembly? Or just give it a go myself?

Once again, thanks for your time guys.

dmann

Updated my post with links!

Cool, that's what I kind of figured. Does the motherboard I have now have what I need to be able to do such a thing?

The ASUS P8Z77-V LK has "2 x USB 3.0 + 8 x USB 2.0" i/o ports, and your case front panel has "2 x USB2.0 / 2 x USB3.0". The motherboard will have more than enough.

I have a few other questions:
1. I know dmann recommended me to just get thermal paste, but I'm assuming this isn't a requirement (i.e. my desktop won't melt if I don't do it -- currently not planning to OC but may do so in the future)? It sure as hell looks like a simple enough process but I'm just a little hesitant in doing it myself I guess.

Applying thermal paste is a simple process. A lot of people put a rice size dab of paste on the center of the cpu, once you mount the heatsink, the paste will spread. The CM Hyper 212 Evo heatsink will come with thermal paste. If you want to purchase different paste, I usually use Arctic Silver 5. But honestly any paste would work, the more expensive stuff might drop temps down 2-3 C.

2. What about cooling? Will I need additional fans or the like? Or will I be fine with just buying the parts listed above?

The case you selected comes with "2 x 120mm" front fans and "1 x 120mm" rear fans. If you need other case 120mm fans, look at Cooler Master R4 fans ($8) , Cougar Vortex (~$16), Noctua (~$24). That particular Bitfenix Shinobi case, you could fit 4 more additional 120mm fans if needed. But since you are not overclocking, I would just stick with the fans that are included. You could always add more later.

See above in bold.

kinggroin

Banned
Anyone interested in a 1250w 80+ certified PSU? Its not been used, but the box is open. Originally planned on using it for a big budget build, but after getting as far as the case and motherboard, I decided I needed the cash more (and my current PC was more than enough for now).

IMG_20120512_134839.jpg

If interested, just shoot me a PM with an offer. I'm REALLY flexible here.

JB1981

Might as well continue with my stupid PC questions. Hopefully I am not starting to annoy. Do heatsinks come with thermal paste or do u need to buy that separately?

Lizard with a ladder

learnin' with the blacks!
First off, let me know if anything jumps out at you as being a bad choice or you think could be upgraded or switched out for something better. Here are my specific questions:

1) I already have a hard drive and an external HD that I'll use for my gaming installs and music and such. Thusly I went for a SSD as I've heard that SSD is good to keep for your operating system as it lasts longer and can have better load times. Is that true and/or a sound investment? Also what should I install on the SSD and what to relegate to the regular HD?

2) I picked that monitor mostly due to the price and it is quite variable. Anyone have a recommendation for a 20 or 24"? I don't mind going slightly over-budget in that category as it's fairly important.

3) I'm a bit anxious about the assembly. I've never built a computer before and the most maintenance I ever did was switching out the hard drive and undervolting my laptop. Since this is my first go and I'm spending a good deal of money, I'm worried about screwing up. I recently moved back to the states so I don't have any computer minded friends to help me out. Should I take the parts to a shop? Are there places that aid with assembly? Or just give it a go myself?

Once again, thanks for your time guys.

Build looks good.

1) You definitely want to install your operating system on your SSD. Booting up your pc in about 10 seconds is awesome.

2) The monitor you picked out is alright for a budget build. I'm a bit biased towards Asus though. They have decent monitors for around the price you're looking to pay.

3) Just stop worrying about it man. I was just as nervous with my first build. Once you build it though, you'll feel good about doing it on your own and wonder what the hell you were so worried about. It's really a simple process, as long as you can follow directions. Remember to check out some of the videos in the OP if you're feeling uncomfortable building your pc.

MrBig

Might as well continue with my stupid PC questions. Hopefully I am not starting to annoy. Do heatsinks come with thermal paste or do u need to buy that separately?

Yes, they often do. You'll have to check up to date reviews to see if they're any good. I read that the latest paste in the 212+ isn't that great. MX-4 or Noctua thermal paste is a good choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom