• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

theRizzle

Anyone ever buy a Windows 7 key from a key reseller? If so could you tell me which one? I don't even know if it's possible to get a legit key from one of these sites, but figured I'd ask.

Dirtdog07

Neo Member
Finally got it done and now I need to learn to OC it :)

Case - CM Storm Trooper
CPU - I5 2500k
PSU - Corsair HX850
MB - ASUS P8Z77-V Pro
Video Card - EVGA GTX 680 SC
Mem - Mushkin DDR3 8gb 1333
HD - Samsung F3 1tb
SSD - Crucial 128gb
Optical - LG Blu ray
Cooler - Noctua NH-D14

img0297pm.jpg

img0303if.jpg

K' Dash

Case - CM Storm Trooper
CPU - I5 2500k
PSU - Corsair HX850
MB - ASUS P8Z77-V Pro
HD - Samsung F3 1tb
SSD - Crucial 128gb
Optical - LG Blu ray
Cooler - Noctua NH-D14

its-beautiful.jpg

ParityBit

So where I want to put my PC is pretty far from an outlet. So the normal cable is not long enough to reach! Are there any aftermarket power cords that I can buy for this? I have a Corsair AX850 PSU.

Thanks!

Finally got my i5 2500k and Hyper 212 Evo in my Fractal R3 today.

Whoever says building PCs, even with guides, is easy are liars. It can still be a major fucking hassle.

Glad it's over with. Now to get 4.5ghz!

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
That's a great set-up, Dirtdog. Looks sharp, clean and organized. Bravo!

Build looks good.

1) You definitely want to install your operating system on your SSD. Booting up your pc in about 10 seconds is awesome.

Anything else you would recommend installing on the SSD or is the OS the main benefit?

2) The monitor you picked out is alright for a budget build. I'm a bit biased towards Asus though. They have decent monitors for around the price you're looking to pay.

I've read some reviews that weren't exactly glowing on Asus but that's the best price I've found so far for a 20inch and I haven't seen any 22in or higher priced 20" that have impressed me enough to shoot higher. Companies do a good job of burying in-depth user reviews about this as well. Maybe something to help flesh out for the guide.

3) Just stop worrying about it man. I was just as nervous with my first build.
Thanks man, I'm glad it's not as hard as it seems.
Thanks for taking a look. I can't wait to get started with this.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I have an intriguing issue: the Favourites shortcuts for Desktop and Recent Places don't seem to work:

3M5ze.png

Theoretically, it should be an easy fix, but I can't seem to simply copy/paste another shortcut into the "folder." Any ideas? (And before you ask, it doesn't seem to be possible to set a default program for either item. :p)

MrBig

I have an intriguing issue: the Favourites shortcuts for Desktop and Recent Places don't seem to work:

http://i.imgur.com/3M5ze.png[IMG]

Theoretically, it should be an easy fix, but I can't seem to simply copy/paste another shortcut into the "folder." Any ideas? (And before you ask, it doesn't seem to be possible to set a default program for either item. :p)[/QUOTE]

For the desktop link you should be able to go to "C:\Users\user" and drag/drop the desktop folder into the favorites section. Not sure what is causing your actual problem.

ParityBit

I'm confident that will work, is it just for aesthetics? Just curious.

Partially. Generally using extension cords is a bad thing, especially if you were to have some sort of fire (insurance) I always try to have the least connections going into an outlet outside of APC and surge protectors.

MooMoo

See above in bold.
Thanks once again mate. Just a couple more questions:
1. Should I be worried about everything fitting into the case, space-wise? Was reading about the CPU coolers and apparently they tend to be large and was kinda worried about them being too large/obstructing things.

2. Any suggestions for wireless adapters? There's zero chance of me running a line from the router in the basement all the way to my room. The one in my current desktop works, but it's kind of a cheap rip-off so it tends to drop connection a lot.

3. And still semi-concerned about sound. It's definitely my biggest pet-peeve right now because I can't stand how loud my current desktop is. Low hum is fine; airplane taking off levels of noise is obnoxious. Can I be assured that my current set up won't sound so loud?

Edit: Additional opinions on this build appreciated!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
For the desktop link you should be able to go to "C:\Users\user" and drag/drop the desktop folder into the favorites section. Not sure what is causing your actual problem.

Ah, and therein lies the issue: I have no Desktop folder in my User folder. :/

Edit: I'll back up my files and create a new account; that should do the trick.

LordAlu

3M5ze.png

Theoretically, it should be an easy fix, but I can't seem to simply copy/paste another shortcut into the "folder." Any ideas? (And before you ask, it doesn't seem to be possible to set a default program for either item. :p)
Have you tried right-clicking on Favorites and choosing "Restore Default Links"?

K' Dash

I need help choosing between these too:

Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power ...

I mean, I don't know if 550W is enough or 750W is overkill, besides I'm runing out of money, any help would be appreciated.

Also, thank you all for the advice and tips offered so far, this is my first time building a PC and you've been great, so happy to be part of this comunity.

Thank you.

They try and ship things together. Although it's not unheard of for things to come in two boxes. And obviously things like monitors and cases are just going to ship in the factory box.

Thank you, this is great actually, I'm not buying a monitor, just everything for the machine but the case, cause it's too big, the less boxes the best, I'm importing all my stuff and that means less taxes and shipping rates to pay.

hyduK

Banned
Just bought parts for my new build:

Silverstone RV02B-EW

ASUS P8Z77-V Pro

Intel Core i7 3770K

Noctua NH-D14 CPU cooler

16 GB Corsair Vengeance Blue DDR3

XFX ATX 850 watt PSU

Crucial m4 256 GB SSD

Haven't ordered GPU yet, havent decided on ATi vs. Nvidia.

7970s are available pretty cheaply relative to GTX 680s now, so its a hard decision. Any input?

Got pretty much the same build, but with 8GB and a 128GB Crucial. Still using my GTX460 while I wait for a 670 to become available, but it's pretty beastly.

Don't really have anything to say on the 680 vs. 7970 though.

1-D_FTW

Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power ...

I mean, I don't know if 550W is enough or 750W is overkill, besides I'm runing out of money, any help would be appreciated.

Also, thank you all for the advice and tips offered so far, this is my first time building a PC and you've been great, so happy to be part of this comunity.

Thank you.

Thank you, this is great actually, I'm not buying a monitor, just everything for the machine but the case, cause it's too big, the less boxes the best, I'm importing all my stuff and that means less taxes and shipping rates to pay.

The Antec is more than enough. Save the money.

iamblades

Thank you.

The antec should be enough wattage, I've had bad reliability issues with lower end antec PSUs though. It has been a few years since I had an antec PSU though, and could've just been bad luck..

1-D_FTW

The antec should be enough wattage, I've had bad reliability issues with lower end antec PSUs though. It has been a few years since I had an antec PSU though, and could've just been bad luck..

I usually buy Antec and have never gone over 550. Never had any issues. My recent Seasonic, on the other hand, crapped out after 28 days and needed to be RMA'ed for a refurb. It's all luck of the draw IMO.

EDIT: And for the record, my gaming wattage is between 120 - 200 watts with my current set-up. It was just a crap unit.

My current build is expensive as fuck. I guess I can shave a lot of money off by getting a cheaper GPU and case. What about power supply, any cheaper alternatives?

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

Does it make a lot of sense to match the make of motherboard w/ the gpu or no?

Not sure if it's just my browser, but I'm getting nothing with that link. Nothing is filled in.

JB1981

My current build is expensive as fuck. I guess I can shave a lot of money off by getting a cheaper GPU and case. What about power supply, any cheaper alternatives?

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

Does it make a lot of sense to match the make of motherboard w/ the gpu or no?

CPU Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor $199.99 $199.99 @ NCIX US

CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $29.90 $29.90 @ NCIX US

Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard $144.99 $144.99 @ Newegg

Memory Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $49.99 -$5.00 $44.99 @ Newegg

Hard Drive Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $109.99 $109.99 @ Newegg

GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card $399.99 $399.99 @ Newegg

Case Fractal Design Define R3 Black Pearl ATX Mid Tower Case $114.99 $114.99 @ NCIX US

Power Supply Corsair 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply $118.49 $118.49 @ Amazon

Optical Drive
Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $17.99 $6.98 $24.97 @ Newegg

Total: $1258.29

Dirtdog07

Neo Member
Dirt:

Is that your first time building ? Looks great, cables look nice and neat too.

This is my second build and it went pretty smooth. This was the first time installing a aftermarket cooler so I was a little hesitant on the thermal paste. With stock numbers on the CPU being 28 at idle and full load at around 47. Are those proper temp numbers? This will be the first time overclocking, any tips? Thanks

JB1981

This is my second build and it went pretty smooth. This was the first time installing a aftermarket cooler so I was a little hesitant on the thermal paste. With stock numbers on the CPU being 28 at idle and full load at around 47. Are those proper temp numbers? This will be the first time overclocking, any tips? Thanks

I'm the wrong person to ask. I haven't built any PC ... Probably going to do my first soon tho

Smokey

your temps are good, no worries there

MrBig

Your build is more expensive than mine (sans monitor); we've got a very similar build but I've got some better parts thrown in there. Check your prices and compare them to the ones I listed. I wouldn't have been able to justify getting the 670 if I wasn't getting a 1440p monitor, are you sure you don't want to save $100 be going with a 570? Hazaro is going to be selling his couple week old 2.5gb 570, talk to him if you're interested.

e: also be aware that if you're ordering from NCIX US you'll need a paypal account

Sethos

Banned
Had an interesting problem with an odd solution today. I was messing around with my new setup, trying out a few games and doing some light benchmarking to make sure performance was up to par. in 3D Mark 11 it looked like a severe case of tearing on the top half. Tried a few games, first Dead Island where selecting full screen would give me a red screen ( Not the dreaded RSOD, this was 'just the game' could just CTRL ALT DEL out of it. Same thing with Arkham City, going Fullscreen gave me a red screen with a flickery bottom bit. Windowed was fine.

Googled a bit, only found the RSOD issue but did stumble over this one guy who had a similar issue, he said his SLI bridge was the cause. So I figured I'd flip my bridge around 180 and then everything worked perfectly, no red screens, no odd tearing and performance is insane.

Man, if I hadn't stumbled on his thread this would have been a real headscratcher.

Welcome to PC gaming. And you didn't even pick up a SSD!

Only place you can really shave money is on the GPU. Lowest I would reasonably go would be a 7850 for ~$250. But when you're already spending over 1k, you might as well get the 670 which will have much moire staying power.

Like I keep saying, I really miss AMD providing cheap, powerful CPU's...that's imo a big reason builds are so expensive now, there's no way around that 2500k.

JB1981

Your build is more expensive than mine (sans monitor); we've got a very similar build but I've got some better parts thrown in there. Check your prices and compare them to the ones I listed. I wouldn't have been able to justify getting the 670 if I wasn't getting a 1440p monitor, are you sure you don't want to save $100 be going with a 570? Hazaro is going to be selling his couple week old 2.5gb 570, talk to him if you're interested.

e: also be aware that if you're ordering from NCIX US you'll need a paypal account

Highest I will be gaming at is 1920x1080.. Get the 7850??

MrBig

Highest I will be gaming at is 1920x1080.. Get the 7850??

Based on benchmarks, you should be able to get 60 FPS with everything on max or near max in BF3, and subsequently just about any other current game.

e: Some comments in Tom's 7850 review would make it a bust for me (unless they got 3 bad cards), but if you don't do any modeling or photoshop work it won't matter to you.

Shambles

My Gigabyte Z77 D3H was constantly crashing to a full power outage, no BSOD, no restart, nothing. Looking at forums there are quite a few people having issues with the entire series of Z77 gigabyte boards. I have no patience for playing the hardware lottery so after ruling out all the other components took it back and went with the MSI Z77 GD65 and am feeling much better about this board, so far it's working flawlessly. My only complaint is that by default it runs your CPU fan speed at 100% until you going into the EFI and give it a target CPU temperature to aim for. Even setting it at 60C has the fan running fairly high but a lot quieter than full blast (Hyper 212+). No crashes at all so far, I even got windows 7 booting without any errors even with a change of motherboard. However I'm still doing a fresh install as I'm having windows update issues which may be caused by the motherboard switch or by the fact that I had my system crash on me 20 times while trying to install updates earlier. The GD65 was the next price segment up, and I have to deal with a MIR but the board overall definitely feels much better. It's also handy to have the power button on the motherboard instead of having to trip the power with a key like I did with the D3H while I'm waiting for my case to arrive.

I chose the GD65 over the 45 because there is reports of the audio on the GD65 being significantly better. On my last machine an Asus motherboard I had tons of line noise from the poor insulation of the board, hoping to avoid that this time.

Your thoughts are my thoughts, find a solid $60-70 case, and spend $200-250 on the GPU instead of $400. You can spend less on the PSU as well, generally I find their MSRP to be quite high and wait for a decent sale. A quality 550W would do you find as well.
Something like the Antec EA-650 perhaps. $80 which is a fair bit less than what you have now but even still I'm sure you could find better deals in the states. Usually I'll wait until Black Friday/Boxing day and find an $80-100 model on sale for $35 and keep an extra on hand. This however does not help you at all.

MisterNoisy

Your thoughts are my thoughts, find a solid $60-70 case, and spend $200-250 on the GPU instead of $400. You can spend less on the PSU as well, generally I find their MSRP to be quite high and wait for a decent sale. A quality 550W would do you find as well.
Something like the Antec EA-650 perhaps. $80 which is a fair bit less than what you have now but even still I'm sure you could find better deals in the states. Usually I'll wait until Black Friday/Boxing day and find an $80-100 model on sale for $35 and keep an extra on hand. This however does not help you at all.

If you're looking for a decent lower-priced PSU, I've always liked the Antec Neo Eco series. The 620W model I linked is currently $59.49 with a promo code at Newegg.

kharma45

Based on benchmarks, you should be able to get 60 FPS with everything on max or near max in BF3, and subsequently just about any other current game.

e: Some comments in Tom's 7850 review would make it a bust for me (unless they got 3 bad cards), but if you don't do any modeling or photoshop work it won't matter to you.

I'd imagine they got bad cards as I've heard very few bad things about them in the real world, and I love mine.

Perfect mid-range card.

ParityBit

Where is the best place to host images so I don't get banned or booed out of the thread? :p

I was going to just post a couple of my new build. Until I get the whole thing setup!

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football

Case - CM Storm Trooper
CPU - I5 2500k
PSU - Corsair HX850
MB - ASUS P8Z77-V Pro
HD - Samsung F3 1tb
SSD - Crucial 128gb
Optical - LG Blu ray
Cooler - Noctua NH-D14

img0297pm.jpg

img0303if.jpg

Nice, we almost have the same build. MY PSU is a AX750, and I have 16GB of DDR3. Looks good. I need to go in and do a bit of cable management, but it looks good enough.

ParityBit

OK lets try this....Thanks for all the help!

So this is all the crap I bought. (RAM changed though)

• CPU : i7 3770k Ivy Bridge
  • CPU Cooler : Corsair H100
  • Motherboard : ASus P8Z77-V Deluxe
  • RAM : G.Skill Ripjaws X Series (F3-14900CL9Q-16GBXL 4 x 4GB)
  • SSD : Samsung 830 256 GB
  • Power : Corsair Professional AX850
  • GPU : EVGA GTX 680 SC (x 2)
  • Case : NZXT Phantom White
  • HHD : WD 1TB
  • Monitor : Asus VG278
  • Keyboard : Corsair Vengence K60
  • Optical Drive : LG WH12Ls39 blu-ray burner
  • Speakers : Klipsch Promedia 2.1
  • Mouse : Logitech G9X
  • Soundcard : Asus Xonar DX

GZ2hfl.jpg

And this is my first ever attempt at real wiring.

GOgzAl.jpg

Once I get things all setup I will post it with my new desk/setup!

Sethos

Banned
Hmm, small thing but is anyone else having problems with Precision X not displaying the actual running clocks? Just seem to max out at 705 despite other software saying something else, in this case Nvidia Inspector at Current Clock 1215

iNDQG5dLxxIqw.png

Software problem or am I missing something?

MooMoo

Not really updated build, but updated links. I noticed the GPU I chose earlier wasn't the GTX560Ti 448 core (it was 334 or something like that), and that kinda bumped up the price a bit. Listed prices include tax and shipping but exclude rebates (and in one or two cases I ignore current price drops).

Those were the cheapest prices I could find while being picky about brand name, although if anyone can find cheaper that would be nice. To keep this post nice and short, my new questions are:
1. Are the parts all compatible? (I know I've asked this a lot but I just want to be triply sure before I start pulling the trigger on ordering things).

2. Is there any place to buy a full copy (not upgrade version) of Windows 7 Home Premium? Already checked my school and a few other places but they only sell the upgrade versions of things.

3. Once I include the price of buying W7 and a new keyboard, the price jumps above my comfortable range of <$1000. I'm willing to spend the aforementioned amount, but if there were one spot that I could cut back on without sacrificing too much performance, where would that be?

This'll probably be the last of my questions unless I run into problems putting things together.

maks

Got my Gigabyte GTX 670 last night. I can finally put up pics of my build :)

SYSTEM
Intel 2600k
Asus Maximus V Gene z77
Gigabyte GTX 670
Hyper 212+ Evo
16gb Corsair Vengeance LP
120gb Sandisk Extreme SSD
2TB Western Digital Black
Broadcom BCM94313 mPCIE wifi card
Thermaltake Toughpower 750
Silverstone TJ08B Case
Silverstone FP55 Bay Converter (fit my SSD and HDD in 5.25 slot)

Parts
pchPU.jpg

With HDD cage. Can't fit 3.5 HDD and dual fans on Hyper 212 EVO. Bought Silverstone FP55 to solve it
RoRBF.jpg

w/o HDD cage
YaaVD.jpg

Front
EvS9g.jpg

Smokey

OK lets try this....Thanks for all the help!

So this is all the crap I bought. (RAM changed though)

• CPU : i7 3770k Ivy Bridge
  • CPU Cooler : Corsair H100
  • Motherboard : ASus P8Z77-V Deluxe
  • RAM : G.Skill Ripjaws X Series (F3-14900CL9Q-16GBXL 4 x 4GB)
  • SSD : Samsung 830 256 GB
  • Power : Corsair Professional AX850
  • GPU : EVGA GTX 680 SC (x 2)
  • Case : NZXT Phantom White
  • HHD : WD 1TB
  • Monitor : Asus VG278
  • Keyboard : Corsair Vengence K60
  • Optical Drive : LG WH12Ls39 blu-ray burner
  • Speakers : Klipsch Promedia 2.1
  • Mouse : Logitech G9X
  • Soundcard : Asus Xonar DX

GZ2hfl.jpg

And this is my first ever attempt at real wiring.

GOgzAl.jpg

Once I get things all setup I will post it with my new desk/setup!

nice rig my man...will do you good for a very long time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom