• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheExodu5

Banned
I have a laptop with a T2500 @ 2.0GHz (early Core Duo...before Core 2 Duo), and an 80GB SSD. Feels incredibly snappy, thanks to the SSD. :)

Dirtdog07

Neo Member
Can someone please explain Load-Line Calibration to me? This is my first time overcloacking my 2500k and I am trying to follow Clunk's guide.

Should I enable using Auto or disable it?
Is the term VCore they are referring to the CPU Manual Voltage?
If I disable it, is that what I should be increasing over the recommended starting 1.12v?

Thanks

Guys, I want to sell my old CPU... trouble is it's absolutely STUCK to my old CPU cooler.

It's a 955 Black Edition with the stock cooler. I've tried holding a hairdryer to it for about 20 minutes but it will not budge. Any ideas?

Sethos

Banned
Guys, I want to sell my old CPU... trouble is it's absolutely STUCK to my old CPU cooler.

It's a 955 Black Edition with the stock cooler. I've tried holding a hairdryer to it for about 20 minutes but it will not budge. Any ideas?

Thermal adhesive is a bitch.

Can you fire up the PC it's located in? Because running a Prime95 blend test for 30 minutes would help you. If not, just remember to apply some twisting movement when trying to pry it off as you can't pull it clean off with that adhesive crap. Just don't overdo the twisting.

Thermal adhesive is a bitch.

Can you fire up the PC it's located in? Because running a Prime95 blend test for 30 minutes would help you. If not, just remember to apply some twisting movement when trying to pry it off as you can't pull it clean off with that adhesive crap. Just don't overdo the twisting.

Nah, no chance of putting it back in the case. It took me long enough to get my i5 2500k and 212 in there safely. Not taking them out again!

I'll try a bit of twisting, I guess.

MooMoo

Can someone recommend a guide or explain themselves how to go about setting up a SSD/HDD setup? Since it's an entirely new desktop, I'll be starting from scratch (i.e. won't have to worry about transferring files over from an old HDD or anything).

Does anyone here have any recommendations for a USB hub? I have a teeny one right now and just the weight of the cords attached to it pull it off the back of my desk making me have to fish it up just to plug or unplug things. The design of it also precludes me from being able to tape or putty the thing into place on the desk. I'm looking for something that has a little weight to it or something I can use a little putty on a bottom surface to make it stick to the desk. I don't need a lot of ports, 4 or 7 would be nice. Aesthetics are nice, but not necessary; Maybe a black or silver coloring if it works out. If there is a USB hub that can appeal to my geek sensibilities (no Tardis, please) or one that pulls double duty like one I saw on Amazon that was a pen holder and a hub, that would be fun and a possibility. I don't care about USB 3.0 in the hub so it's optional. Biggest concern: needs a decent length of chord from the back of my computer to the hub itself. 1m or more would be nice. I am trying to get some USB ports on the opposite side of the desk from where my CPU is placed.

Any suggestions? Anyone using anything currently that they just love?

OK guys, I'm playing PC musical chairs with my families computers and would like to know what the order of these video cards would be, in terms of performance.

ATI Radeon 7570
ATI Radeon 4850
Nvidia 9800GT

Just trying to figure out which I put in whose machine. Thanks for any help.

Done my first build.

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
XFX Radeon HD 6870 1GB
8GB RAM
Coolmaster Haf 912 Case
Seasonic S12II 620W PSU
500GB HDD
+ monitor, OS, KB+M = $970

I'll be playing on 1440x900 because I tend to get motion sickness playing on bigger screen that close. If it matters, I live in Canada. How is my build?

cilonen

OK lets try this....Thanks for all the help!

So this is all the crap I bought. (RAM changed though)

• CPU : i7 3770k Ivy Bridge
  • CPU Cooler : Corsair H100
  • Motherboard : ASus P8Z77-V Deluxe
  • RAM : G.Skill Ripjaws X Series (F3-14900CL9Q-16GBXL 4 x 4GB)
  • SSD : Samsung 830 256 GB
  • Power : Corsair Professional AX850
  • GPU : EVGA GTX 680 SC (x 2)
  • Case : NZXT Phantom White
  • HHD : WD 1TB
  • Monitor : Asus VG278
  • Keyboard : Corsair Vengence K60
  • Optical Drive : LG WH12Ls39 blu-ray burner
  • Speakers : Klipsch Promedia 2.1
  • Mouse : Logitech G9X
  • Soundcard : Asus Xonar DX

GZ2hfl.jpg

And this is my first ever attempt at real wiring.

GOgzAl.jpg

Once I get things all setup I will post it with my new desk/setup!

Rockin' :)

1-D_FTW

OK guys, I'm playing PC musical chairs with my families computers and would like to know what the order of these video cards would be, in terms of performance.

ATI Radeon 7570
ATI Radeon 4850
Nvidia 9800GT

Just trying to figure out which I put in whose machine. Thanks for any help.

4850 is a little better than the 9800GT. The 7570 is an OEM only card. Who knows. I'd place money on it being last.

Maddox

Hey guys, my friend is looking for a PC for around £400-450 and i promised i would help him pick the parts. The only problem is i haven't kept up to date with PC hardware for the last year or so and was wondering if you lot could give me a hand?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hey guys, my friend is looking for a PC for around £400-450 and i promised i would help him pick the parts. The only problem is i haven't kept up to date with PC hardware for the last year or so and was wondering if you lot could give me a hand?
Reading the first post is a good place to start.

Ok guys, thanks so far to everyone, few last questions.

So I've got everything in the case except the GPU which hasn't arrived yet. It looks like everything is working. Got into bios, installed windows on ssd.

So I guess the question is what else should I take care of before stating it is good to go (other than putting the gpu in)?

Are there programs I should install and run to test for errors? Update the bios? etc.

Thanks again.

I should note I have not activated windows yet. Waiting for GPU

untitled-1lcapa.jpg

What do you guys think?

This is the build that's going with the Asus DCII GTX670 TOP I've got on order. I think the Corsair case looks a little more robust than the Fractal Design R3 option.

As for the motherboard, the biostar EX3 option isn't available here. So I'm going with either Asrock or Gigabyte. Still debating whether it's worth it to spend another 40 over the cheaper Z77 boards like the Asrock Z77 Pro4 or the Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H.

In terms of room... will that motherboard/case combo properly accomodate the full sized 670?

Shambles

Done my first build.

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
XFX Radeon HD 6870 1GB
8GB RAM
Coolmaster Haf 912 Case
Seasonic S12II 620W PSU
500GB HDD
+ monitor, OS, KB+M = $970

I'll be playing on 1440x900 because I tend to get motion sickness playing on bigger screen that close. If it matters, I live in Canada. How is my build?

Are you buying a new motherboard or reusing an old one?

DMczaf

I'm upgrading my PC, but I am completely out of it when it comes to new CPUs. I've heard Ivy Bridge i5 runs hot compared to Sandy Bridge? I wanted to jump in to Ivy Bridge, but now I'm hesitating.

MrBig

I'm upgrading my PC, but I am completely out of it when it comes to new CPUs. I've heard Ivy Bridge i5 runs hot compared to Sandy Bridge? I wanted to jump in to Ivy Bridge, but now I'm hesitating.

The heat isn't the major issue, really. It is more than low enough to be managed, especially if you're going for a low or no overclock. If you can only find it for the going rate ($250 for the 3570k) then get the SB (2500k is ~$200) equivalent for much less. The performance gains aren't worth the cost at that price.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."

Sandy can OC higher because it doesn't heat up as much with voltage. But Ivy has about 3% faster performance with clock rates equal. So at max OC they perform roughly equal. (4.5 GHz ivy, 4.8 GHz sandy on air from what I hear)

Considering Sandy CPUs are significantly cheaper than Ivy right now, go with Sandy. Though I'm not sure how Sandy OCs on Ivy chipsets so look into that. Or just avoid Ivy chipsets and get a Sandy motherboard (Z68, P67).

suaveric

Anyone feel like recommending some case fans? I just put together my new rig, i5 2500k with a 7850. I'm not overclocking and I'd prefer something that leans towards quiet vs performance. I need 3 120mm and one 140mm and if I could grab them off of amazon it would be great. Thanks!

Is there a general purpose laptop thread?

I was planning on replacing my old 14" dell (which I love, but the battery is shot and it's very heavy with an old core 2 duo). I was thinking of a 13" Macbook Air after the Ivy refresh. Generally would use for work (programming) and playing around on.

However, my dad offered me his 15.6" Acer. It has an AMD quad CPU, is about as heavy as the old Dell, but only has a 1366x768 display. My old Dell is 1440x900, and the MBA would be the same, which is preferable but maybe not a deal breaker. Also the Acer only gets a couple hours of battery life, versus a lot more in the MBA.

So I'm just trying to decide what to do. Take the free Acer from my dad and make do, or spend $1000+ on a Macbook later for something more portable. I have a desktop at work, so I strictly speaking don't *need* a laptop, but it would be convenient.

$1000 (or would it be more like $1200) is a lot of money when there's the option of the free, though less appropriate, laptop.

Any suggestions appreciated.

DMczaf

The heat isn't the major issue, really. It is more than low enough to be managed, especially if you're going for a low or no overclock. If you can only find it for the going rate ($250 for the 3570k) then get the SB (2500k is ~$200) equivalent for much less. The performance gains aren't worth the cost at that price.

Sandy can OC higher because it doesn't heat up as much with voltage. But Ivy has about 3% faster performance with clock rates equal. So at max OC they perform roughly equal. (4.5 GHz ivy, 4.8 GHz sandy on air from what I hear)

Considering Sandy CPUs are significantly cheaper than Ivy right now, go with Sandy. Though I'm not sure how Sandy OCs on Ivy chipsets so look into that. Or just avoid Ivy chipsets and get a Sandy motherboard (Z68, P67).

Thanks. I was leaning toward just going with Sandy. Now it's time to start looking at mobos.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
212 Evo question...

Am I supposed to be able to slightly shift the heat sink position. The screws feel tight enough but the heat sink can shift to the touch.

Takuya

Banned
Does anyone know a good (non-fully-custom) solution to having something like the Scythe Kama Bay Cooler? http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/acc/008/sckb1000_detail.html
Looking for a solution to mount on the front of my case to provide some more air cooling (I will funnel the air downwards towards my graphics cards).

sckb1000bk_gage-400x400.jpg

Right now it's discontinued, so it's rare to even impossible to find anywhere. I've got a Corsair 800D case, so I wouldn't want anything that has a huge logo on the front or anything excessive such as the SilverStone CFP51-B, which has a shield in front that will ruin the whole 'clean' look of my case.

212 Evo question...

Am I supposed to be able to slightly shift the heat sink position. The screws feel tight enough but the heat sink can shift to the touch.

I asked the same question a few days ago, it makes me uneasy that the heatsink can still rotate a couple degrees around the circular peg. But apparently it's OK, except for ceramic-based pastes.

Mr. Hyde

Hay guys, should my 510-20 watt PSU be okay to fun my MSI 560ti, ancient Q6600 CPU, 4gigs of shitty ram and one HDD?

I've got people calling me idiots from both sides. Some are saying that I should definitely get at least a 600watt PSU, but others are saying that the rest of my machine is shit enough that I don't really need to upgrade.

Honestly, I'd rather spend the money I'm gonna spend on a PSU on a HDD, or a cooling system.

Ancient. :( I have a Q6600 CPU, too. It's running at 3.11ghz and still serves its purpose, but it makes me sad when I try to play Dolphin in all of its glory. PCSX's svn builds work wonders on a lot of my older games, though. I have a 520W HX Corsair Modular PSU and 4 gigs of ADATA DDR2 RAM. I was thinking of getting a 560 ti or something to hold me off but I am not sure how much improvements it would give me in games such as Diablo 3.

Dirtdog07

Neo Member
I was wondering if you guys can have a look at my numbers? First attempt at overclocking. I just started at 4.0 and ran Prime95 for over an hour

1. I put in 1.12v in the BIOS and was wondering why it comes up 1.144v-1.152v in CPU-Z?
2. Is it ok if the CoreSpeed fluctuates between 3.999 and 4.000?
3. Is the CoreTemp VID number at 1.3361v's good?

Thanks

ocscreen.png

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Ahh I see, seems like weird design choice for the heatsink to move like that.

One more question, I've noticed the CPU clock frequency fluctuates from 1888mhz all the way to 3989 mhz. Is this some sort of power saving tech in newer cpus?

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I was wondering if you guys can have a look at my numbers? First attempt at overclocking. I just started at 4.0 and ran Prime95 for over an hour

1. I put in 1.12v in the BIOS and was wondering why it comes up 1.144v-1.152v in CPU-Z?
2. Is it ok if the CoreSpeed fluctuates between 3.999 and 4.000?
3. Is the CoreTemp VID number at 1.3361v's good?

Thanks

Not sure of CPU-Z and Coretemp are looking at the same core.

But overall the temps look good. See if you can get to 4.5 GHz with temps not exceeding 75C. May have to increase voltage to 1.35V. By 1.35V I mean overall. I don't mean changing 1.12 to 1.35V, your motherboard may be doing something on load to get 1.12->1.3361V.

Google your motherboard and overclocking and you'll probably find a forum that goes over it step by step.

When you run prime 95 at higher speeds, be ready to stop it. Make sure "thermal throttling" or whatever it's called in BIOS is enabled so that the CPU protects itself from too high temps.

JB1981

So this is the latest build I came up with on Newegg. I want to keep it between $800-$900
- What do you guys think of it? What kind of performance can I expect from it for games like Crysis, Crysis 2, BF3, Witcher 2. I'm talking high settings 1080p. I can't seem to find a much better way to bring down price and keep quality parts. You're talking 1k when it's all said and done for a good rig. At least this is what I have found spending many hours on Newegg today. I guess I could drop the CPU to another i5 .. but the rest of my parts are honestly not that expensive when you compare them to what else is out there. I went "cheap" on the GPU too.

Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $54.99

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
$99.99

SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card (100314-3L )$169.99

CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 V2 (CMPSU-430CXV2) 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply $44.99

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) $48.99

BIOSTAR TZ77B LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS $99.99

Intel Core i5-2500 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 ... $209.99

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit $99.99

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 2011/1366/1155 and AMD FM1/AM3+ $29.99

Total = $936.00 (this is without an optical drive)

Thanks.

Also, how much better is the 560ti than the 4850?

Quite a bit better as I just made that switch. With the 4850 almost all low settings on BF3 and still only averaging about 25 fps. Now with the 560ti maxed out averaging between 50 and 60 fps. These results are on a 1440x900 monitor.

Hieberrr

Hey guys, I was just looking at the pre-created builds in the OP and was wondering how hard it would be for a newb to put the parts together.

I am looking at the sub-$1000 middle-tier machine and was wondering if it would be capable of running Dolphin (Wii emulator) at near to full speed or if it is capable of running, say, Battle Field on max at 720p?

The last computer I bought was a Dell XPS 420 and that was 5 years ago. Upgrading is impossible due to proprietary stuff, but I can probably salvage the HDD and Optical drive.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So this is the latest build I came up with on Newegg. I want to keep it between $800-$900
- What do you guys think of it? What kind of performance can I expect from it for games like Crysis, Crysis 2, BF3, Witcher 2. I'm talking high settings 1080p. I can't seem to find a much better way to bring down price and keep quality parts. You're talking 1k when it's all said and done for a good rig. At least this is what I have found spending many hours on Newegg today. I guess I could drop the CPU to another i5 .. but the rest of my parts are honestly not that expensive when you compare them to what else is out there. I went "cheap" on the GPU too.

VP450 for PSU.
2500K for CPU.
Hey guys, I was just looking at the pre-created builds in the OP and was wondering how hard it would be for a newb to put the parts together.

I am looking at the sub-$1000 middle-tier machine and was wondering if it would be capable of running Dolphin (Wii emulator) at near to full speed or if it is capable of running, say, Battle Field on max at 720p?

The last computer I bought was a Dell XPS 420 and that was 5 years ago. Upgrading is impossible due to proprietary stuff, but I can probably salvage the HDD and Optical drive.
'Max' is relative, but it will do very well yes. Dolphin so problem, even less so if you overclock.

Smokey

Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $54.99

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
$99.99

SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card (100314-3L )$169.99

CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 V2 (CMPSU-430CXV2) 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply $44.99

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) $48.99

BIOSTAR TZ77B LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS $99.99

Intel Core i5-2500 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 ... $209.99

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit $99.99

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 2011/1366/1155 and AMD FM1/AM3+ $29.99

If you're not getting the 2500k to me you could just drop down to the i5 2400. It's a few bucks cheaper. GPU wise you can expect between 30-50 fps @ 1080p with some of the games you mentioned. I'm assuming by "high" settings you don't mean "max".

Smokey

Thought I had that already in my build

What's wrong with using the Enchanced build in the OP? With that you could step up to the 7850 for $90 more and it would bring total to $800ish. And you'd get the 2500k.

Actually for $10 more you should probably go for the 2500k anyway. With that 212 evo you can get a 4.5ghz OC easy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom