• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

K' Dash

Gentlemen, I just bought all my shit, thank you very much for all your help, the only item I have left to buy is the case, wich I'll buy when everything else arrive here, hopefuly on june 27th.

newegg.jpg

Just for reference, here in costa rica that machine would cost around $2000

Gentlemen, I just bought all my shit, thank you very much for all your help, the only item I have left to buy is the case, wich I'll buy when everything else arrive here, hopefuly on june 27th.

newegg.jpg

Just for reference, here in costa rica that machine would cost around $2000

I'm so jealous, they charge sales tax in CA, so I have to rely on Amazon.com.

JB1981

What's wrong with using the Enchanced build in the OP? With that you could step up to the 7850 for $90 more and it would bring total to $800ish. And you'd get the 2500k.

Actually for $10 more you should probably go for the 2500k anyway. With that 212 evo you can get a 4.5ghz OC easy

These builds never include Windows .... seems like building a good PC costs you about 1k.

ss_lemonade

What can I expect with a 6970 > 670 upgrade? Near 2x gains in tesselation heavy games? Or should I just skip the idea and play the waiting game?

Honestly, majority of the games I play still run pretty damn good maxed out at my monitor's res (1920x1080) so other than just wanting to get something new, I don't know if its worth it.

RS4-

What can I expect with a 6970 > 670 upgrade? Near 2x gains in tesselation heavy games? Or should I just skip the idea and play the waiting game?

Honestly, majority of the games I play still run pretty damn good maxed out at my monitor's res (1920x1080) so other than just wanting to get something new, I don't know if its worth it.

I'm in the same boat and I figure that I'll wait until I find a good deal, even if it's second hand before I upgrade.

There isn't much in terms of upcoming games that I feel the need to upgrade.

derder

I've got a 6950 and am looking to go crossfire. There are a lot of cards for sale on ebay for $180

K' Dash

Guys I need help, it seems newegg is not accepting my Debit Card or PayPal account, I know it's risky but I need a reliable guy to buy the stuff for me with a US card.

All I can offer is the Dirt coupon thay're giving as a gift for buying the Video Card, as I'm spending all my money on this rig, I'd be sending the money via paypal gift, I'm desperate and frustrated :(

Edit: If no one can help me, wich is the next best site for buying all those parts, apart from amazon, I want them to send everithing in 1 shipping, if possible.

Guys I need help, it seems newegg is not accepting my Debit Card or PayPal account, I know it's risky but I need a reliable guy to buy the stuff for me with a US card.

All I can offer is the Dirt coupon thay're giving as a gift for buying the Video Card, as I'm spending all my money on this rig, I'd be sending the money via paypal gift, I'm desperate and frustrated :(

Edit: If no one can help me, wich is the next best site for buying all those parts, apart from amazon, I want them to send everithing in 1 shipping, if possible.

Where do you live?

K' Dash

I'm from Costa Rica, but I need to ship the parts to North Carolina, there's my courier company and they'll deliver the package to me.

You could try tigerdirect or the U.S. page for ncix. The shipping to the courier might be the problem though. You might even try calling newegg and seeing if you can get it set up so you can buy through them.

K' Dash

You could try tigerdirect or the U.S. page for ncix. The shipping to the courier might be the problem though. You might even try calling newegg and seeing if you can get it set up so you can buy through them.

I called and they said they cant authorize my card cause the shipping address does not match the country the card was emited :/

what_rhythm

Neo Member
Hey fellas. I am currently working on my first build.

Which GTX 560 ti 448 should I get? EVGA Classified Ultra or MSI Twin Frozr III? Or something else? My budget range is $250-300.

I'm leaning towards the EVGA Classified Ultra just because it looks badass and the all-black fits in perfectly with my color scheme.

I know about the 7850, but I prefer Nvidia as I am interested in getting into CUDA development.

AkIRA_22

Heads up to folks looking for a full tower air cooled case.

PC-90 is on sale for $120 and free shipping. The case is stupid good for that price. Half tempted to pick one up for a modding project.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112338

rUn9ul.jpg

ahhGfl.jpg

Those are side mounted HDD bays with near silent operation. There's literally nothing in front of airflow straight to your parts.

I don't know why people buy Lian Li. They look great from the outside, open them up? Spew town. it looks like the internals of a Cold War era Jet Fighter.

The idea of mounting the HDD on the mobo tray is a decent idea. There would need to be a lot of room for all the cables back there.

Sethos

Banned
I don't know why people buy Lian Li. They look great from the outside, open them up? Spew town. it looks like the internals of a Cold War era Jet Fighter.

Yeah, not feeling the Lian love either. I don't even like the looks in general, not even minimal stylish it just looks like industrial heaters.

scogoth

The idea of mounting the HDD on the mobo tray is a decent idea. There would need to be a lot of room for all the cables back there.
Because the build quality is fantastic, their layouts are usually innovative and different and because aluminum is very easy to mod and paint for people who want to customize their case.

As for looks it is all preference. I love Lian Lis and think cases like the cosmos II and haf x are the ugliest things on this planet.

hyduK

Banned
So this is the latest build I came up with on Newegg. I want to keep it between $800-$900
- What do you guys think of it? What kind of performance can I expect from it for games like Crysis, Crysis 2, BF3, Witcher 2. I'm talking high settings 1080p. I can't seem to find a much better way to bring down price and keep quality parts. You're talking 1k when it's all said and done for a good rig. At least this is what I have found spending many hours on Newegg today. I guess I could drop the CPU to another i5 .. but the rest of my parts are honestly not that expensive when you compare them to what else is out there. I went "cheap" on the GPU too.

Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $54.99

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
$99.99

SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card (100314-3L )$169.99

CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 V2 (CMPSU-430CXV2) 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply $44.99

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) $48.99

BIOSTAR TZ77B LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS $99.99

Intel Core i5-2500 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 ... $209.99

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit $99.99

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 2011/1366/1155 and AMD FM1/AM3+ $29.99

Total = $936.00 (this is without an optical drive)
You'll want to get the 2500k, looks like you have the locked version there, won't be able to OC....which would go a long way to pushing performance if you're budgeting. It's 15 bucks extra on newegg.

Hi GAF, I need help with my current build.

I need a suggestion on a good motherboard for an Ivy Bridge processor, im tired of Asus P8P67 pro, it is by far the worst motherboard I have ever had, I has given me issues since day one, even after an RMA, yesterday after getting a new Ivy Bridge CPU, I needed to flash the BIOS of the P8P67 so that it takes the new CPU, everything went smoothly until it asked me to reset the computer, after resetting, the computer wont turn on anymore.

I get a red VGA LED light and I cant do anything, I already tried removing Ram, re seating the video card, clearing CMOS, using the Bios flash restore CD, nothing, im done with this POS motherboard.

I need an Ivy Bridge motherboard, NOT FROM ASUS, that has dual bios, overclock support and clear CMOS button/switch for a 3570k. Hopefully bellow $200.

Thanks!

Takuya

Banned
Hi GAF, I need help with my current build.

I need a suggestion on a good motherboard for an Ivy Bridge processor, im tired of Asus P8P67 pro, it is by far the worst motherboard I have ever had, I has given me issues since day one, even after an RMA, yesterday after getting a new Ivy Bridge CPU, I needed to flash the BIOS of the P8P67 so that it takes the new CPU, everything went smoothly until it asked me to reset the computer, after resetting, the computer wont turn on anymore.

I get a red VGA LED light and I cant do anything, I already tried removing Ram, re seating the video card, clearing CMOS, using the Bios flash restore CD, nothing, im done with this POS motherboard.

I need an Ivy Bridge motherboard, NOT FROM ASUS, that has dual bios, overclock support and clear CMOS button/switch for a 3570k. Hopefully bellow $200.

Thanks!

You need to use a Z77 Motherboard for Ivy Bridge. Maybe the P8Z77 GEN3-V Pro?

Thanks for the suggestion but im done with Asus, I forgot to mention that I flashed the BIOS of the p8p67 with a Sandy Bridge 2600k, I just cant use the mobo anymore because it bricked itself.

Khar

Does anyone know a good (non-fully-custom) solution to having something like the Scythe Kama Bay Cooler? http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/acc/008/sckb1000_detail.html
Looking for a solution to mount on the front of my case to provide some more air cooling (I will funnel the air downwards towards my graphics cards).

sckb1000bk_gage-400x400.jpg

Right now it's discontinued, so it's rare to even impossible to find anywhere. I've got a Corsair 800D case, so I wouldn't want anything that has a huge logo on the front or anything excessive such as the SilverStone CFP51-B, which has a shield in front that will ruin the whole 'clean' look of my case.

There's hardly any 5 1/4" to 120mm adapters available now. It's not just the Scythe Kama unfortunately.

One you could look at is the Mountain Mods 120mm adapter.

3BAY120_AB.gif

You could then use something like this grill or Mountain Mods' grill either underneath the hole or over it.

round120fangrill.mnpctech.com1.jpg

or

12MGAK-NM.gif

TheExodu5

Banned
While I do love my new Lian-Li V700, I will say Lian-Lis are not for everyone. They are beautiful on the outside, but sacrifices are often made to achieve their form factors.

I'd me much more likely to recommend something like the Corsair 550D to someone wanting a professional looking case with great features.

1-D_FTW

No you don't. You need a 1155 socket motherboard that can be flashed with added suport. Most (all?) of them can. His just bricked itself.

Thanks for the suggestion but im done with Asus, I forgot to mention that I flashed the BIOS of the p8p67 with a Sandy Bridge 2600k, I just cant use the mobo anymore because it bricked itself.

I purposely avoided Asus because I do feel they're living on their reputation from a decade ago (when they and Abit reigned supreme) and are over-priced and over-rated. I recently went Asrock and am very satisfied. It seems like they're every bit as good, but without the awful Asus service that is confirmed as worst in the business.

No you don't. You need a 1155 socket motherboard that can be flashed with added suport. Most (all?) of them can. His just bricked itself.

I purposely avoided Asus because I do feel they're living on their reputation from a decade ago (when they and Abit reigned supreme) and are over-priced and over-rated. I recently went Asrock and am very satisfied. It seems like they're every bit as good, but without the awful Asus service that is confirmed as worst in the business.

Thanks, I will be looking at the Asrock Mobos then, yeah the p8p67 is my last Asus motherboards, i had countless issues with it.

Takuya

Banned
Nice, if you're in Canada. :) The USD price is $139.99

Extreme Deal - Limited quantities available at this price! This special price will be applied ONLY after you complete your order, and will be processed in the order that they were received. No rainchecks or price matches at this special pricing.

Only once the order is complete is the price applied properly, even checking out as a Canadian customer.

Whooter

Only once the order is complete is the price applied properly, even checking out as a Canadian customer.

Oh crap, I had no idea USD and CAD were almost at par. That'll teach me to not pay attention to that stuff...

edit: Meh, I guess I'm confused. I can't check out unless I go to the US site, and it shows $139.99 in my cart with no indication there'll be any discount applied after processing...

JB1981

Question about installing wifi in my PC build. You have to install a wifi card to the motherboard right? I can't seem to find where I can buy them on newegg .....

Whooter

is there any reason to upgrade ram from 4gb to 8gb? ive never had any memory problems with any games but found my ram for $30

I can't speak for anyone else, but I consider 8GB to be bare minimum. I think you'd be surprised by the performance gain of doubling your RAM.

1-D_FTW

I can't speak for anyone else, but I consider 8GB to be bare minimum. I think you'd be surprised by the performance gain of doubling your RAM.

Most games can run fine with 2GB of RAM. It's a rare occassion you need more. 3GB puts you into the territory of almost all games (if not all). Not aware of a single game that won't run strictly in ram with 4GB.

Now, Max Payne is touting up to 16GB usage. Who knows what that really means. I have to think it's a gimmick or incredibly poor coding.

As long as he doesn't leave memory intensive programs open while gaming, Windows will reallocate and 4GB is plenty. He'll notice zero improvement with his current games.

Which is not to say I'd advise against spending 30 dollars for another 4 GBs, but it's purely a luxury item that won't improve his gaming performance any with current games.

th3dude

GAF, looking for some suggestions...

Took my gaming PC out of my office and hooking it up in my man cave so I can play on my HDTV and 5.1 surround from the couch.

Looking for some ideas on what mouse/keyboard to use. Wireless would be best, but not completely necessary.

I like the idea of the Razer Nostromo keypad (for comfort and to save space) but not sure it will work for everything.

I also need some type of lap desk or stand to put this stuff on while I'm sitting.

Ideas?

So im about to pull the trigger on a MSI Z77A-G45 Motherboard, I love that it has a Clear CMOS switch in the back panel and the board looks solid.

Its my first time buying an MSI mobo, Anyone has anything bad to say about MSI mobos?

Thanks

GAF, looking for some suggestions...

Took my gaming PC out of my office and hooking it up in my man cave so I can play on my HDTV and 5.1 surround from the couch.

Looking for some ideas on what mouse/keyboard to use. Wireless would be best, but not completely necessary.

I like the idea of the Razer Nostromo keypad (for comfort and to save space) but not sure it will work for everything.

I also need some type of lap desk or stand to put this stuff on while I'm sitting.

Ideas?

The Nostromo will work with anything as you can map any keyboard keys to it, I used to own one but I didnt like it as I really really missed the 1,2,3,4,5 keys right above WASD for FPS rapid weapon switching.

suaveric

I asked this yesterday but I never got a response. Anyone have any good recommendations for case fans? A particular brand or anything? I'd favor quiet over performance.

Every fan review I read on newegg and amazon all have conflicting stories, one person says it's too loud, another says it runs super quiet.

Thanks

Double D

So I've been toying with the idea of adding another video card to my rig. Problem is, I'm completely ignorant to the whole SLI deal other than the fact that I know it's a thing.

I've currently got a GTX 465. I was thinking of just adding another one of those, but then I see some people that are running two different kinds of cards together. Is that normal to do? I would assume that two identical cards would be more effective, but I just don't know.

Also, is SLI the best route, or would I be smarter to sell my existing card and just get 1 card that was much better?

theRizzle

So I've been toying with the idea of adding another video card to my rig. Problem is, I'm completely ignorant to the whole SLI deal other than the fact that I know it's a thing.

I've currently got a GTX 465. I was thinking of just adding another one of those, but then I see some people that are running two different kinds of cards together. Is that normal to do? I would assume that two identical cards would be more effective, but I just don't know.

Also, is SLI the best route, or would I be smarter to sell my existing card and just get 1 card that was much better?

I think if you use two different cards in SLI, they will clock down to the speed of the lowest card, but I am not 100% sure about that. I know that with the AMD version of SLI (Crossfire) you can use two different cards. However by all reports, Crossfire doesn't seem to work as good as SLI.

I am not sure how much of a benefit a second 460 is going to give you. It might be worth checking out a few articles to see if the performance would meet your expectations.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-460-sli-review/
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-460-sli-geforce-gtx-480,2694.html

Danielsan

Quick question. This weekend I built my first gaming PC and despite not knowing what I was doing half of the time, I managed to get everything up and running in about 4 hours. I haven’t tested any games besides Portal 2 yet, but the recommend settings seem to default based on the internal graphics capabilities of my i2500k. Do I need to change my settings in the bios for it to recognize my Radeon HD7850 Overclocked edition as the primary videocard?

MrBig

Quick question. This weekend I built my first gaming PC and despite not knowing what I was doing half of the time, I managed to get everything up and running in about 4 hours. I haven’t tested any games besides Portal 2 yet, but the recommend settings seem to default based on the internal graphics capabilities of my i2500k. Do I need to change my settings in the bios for it to recognize my Radeon HD7850 Overclocked edition as the primary videocard?

If you're not using virtu or have any displays plugged into the iGPU you can probably just go ahead and disable the iGPU in the bios.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom