• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

Menmanelf

Hi

I'm doing a build with a 1080 Ti to replace my current 750GTX. I have the all the components mapped out, and that side seems to be sorted. But I'm having real trouble with deciding on a monitor.

I like the 4k, because of the sharpness, but the limited 60Hz refresh rate has me hesitant, although the xb321HK is very tempting. But I know there's also a 144hz 4k screen later in the year.

On the other hand, 1440p 144hz seems to be a lot smoother, and might be more future proof. But since I mainly play single player games the increased response time from 144hz seems like it would be less critical, and maybe the higher res would work better for them.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated, I'm having a really difficult time choosing.

Thank you.

Hi

I'm doing a build with a 1080 Ti to replace my current 750GTX. I have the all the components mapped out, and that side seems to be sorted. But I'm having real trouble with deciding on a monitor.

I like the 4k, because of the sharpness, but the limited 60Hz refresh rate has me hesitant, although the xb321HK is very tempting. But I know there's also a 144hz 4k screen later in the year.

On the other hand, 1440p 144hz seems to be a lot smoother, and might be more future proof. But since I mainly play single player games the increased response time from 144hz seems like it would be less critical, and maybe the higher res would work better for them.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated, I'm having a really difficult time choosing.

Thank you.

Think the whole refresh rate thing has gone a little overboard. I've been on a Dell U3415W for a while now. It's an amazing display, 60Hz. I've never looked at a game and gone "Man, this is just not cutting it."

Plus, you're going to have the best GPU but gaming at 1440p? Make use of it. I'm pretty sure when you're running a game at 4k with settings cranked up and the image quality is blowing your mind you're not going to care about 144hz.

Smokey

Started utilizing DSR a few weeks ago. Downsampling from 4k or higher to my 1440p screen, plus retaining gsync and the responsiveness of 144hz from my panel. Everything looks and performs great. Thirst for the 4k HDR Asus monitor else has subsided a bit.

Hi

Thank you.

See my post above for a viable solution. Once you experience the higher refresh rates, it's hard to go back. You'll not only notice it in games, but day to day computer activity. There will be two 4k 144hz monitors this year (ASUS and Acer) but you're probably looking at prices in the $1,300-1,500 range, if not higher.

Weevilone

Hi

Thank you.

I'd have a really tough time buying a display right now. There's no doubt I'd be holding off if at all possible. HDR is great, and it seems we are just on the cusp of getting some great new 4K HDR displays with Gsync.

So maybe just go for a cheaper high refresh rate monitor and save my money for the new 4K panels?

What games do you play? I would lean toward the 1440p 144hz IPS g-sync display myself. High refresh rate is sooo nice. When I went to my friend's house I thought his system was broken at first. :p

Menmanelf

Mainly single player games, rpgs. I dabble in World of Warships and DotA 2 as well. Mostly not twitchy games though, which is what lures me to the 4k side of things. On the other hand 144hz is so smooth,

And waiting for the new 4ks in one way doesn't make sense because I'm unlikely to get above 60fps in 4k on most new games anyway. But the new ones have HDR whereas the current don't.

It's just making taking a decision really difficult.

Having used a 1080p 144Hz monitor for so long I'd rather stick with high refresh rates than go 4K, tbh. 1440p is a nice bump over that and the high refresh rates just look and feel so good.

Though I still can't decide on a 1080Ti Founder's Edition or wait for partner cards

Filth

Just bought the hp omen x35 wide screen monitor. Will give reviews once it gets delivered. This is my first jump to 1440p woooooo

Menmanelf

I came to a decision. I'm going to stick with my admittedly fairly bad 1080 screen I have at the moment, and upgrade to a 4k once the HDR screens get released.

Izuna

Banned
Hi guy, I am a week away from ordering my very first Gaming PC for an entire decade (the first time I'm spending money on one at least).

I'm UK based, so any ideas on good deals would be great.

What I already got:

- EVGA GTX1080 (getting it for £400 from my brother in return for helping him get a 1080Ti)
- LG 24GM77 -- 24" 1080p TN Gaming Monitor, 120hz via DisplayPort
- Creative T20s 2.1 Speakers
- Keyboard + Mouse
- Windows 10 (MSDN Key)

My Budget (not including Graphics Card):

- £700

Hopeful Build:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/ZFjjgL

I'm not interested in OverClocking, as it were.

Is there anything wrong with the parts I'm picking? Aesthetic means nothing to me and mATX would be preferable. I plan on putting W10 on the 60GB SSD and the rest of everything else on the 500GB.

scitek

I was at Microcenter looking for a GPU to pair with my old i5 2500K so my roommate and I can have a gaming PC in our living room. I asked the clerk to look at the GTX 1060s, and he asked if I'd be interested in one of these instead for $299. Seemed like a decent deal, so I ended up buying it.

Now I need a good, rather inexpensive case that it'll fit in (it's a huge card). Any recommendations?

LilJoka

Hi guy, I am a week away from ordering my very first Gaming PC for an entire decade (the first time I'm spending money on one at least).

I'm UK based, so any ideas on good deals would be great.

What I already got:

- EVGA GTX1080 (getting it for £400 from my brother in return for helping him get a 1080Ti)
- LG 24GM77 -- 24" 1080p TN Gaming Monitor, 120hz via DisplayPort
- Creative T20s 2.1 Speakers
- Keyboard + Mouse
- Windows 10 (MSDN Key)

My Budget (not including Graphics Card):

- £700

Hopeful Build:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/ZFjjgL

I'm not interested in OverClocking, as it were.

Is there anything wrong with the parts I'm picking? Aesthetic means nothing to me and mATX would be preferable. I plan on putting W10 on the 60GB SSD and the rest of everything else on the 500GB.

Decent part choice, I would regret going for 2133mhz ram though. Squeeze in 3000mhz ram and it's a very good price:perf rig without any significant compromise.

Izuna

Banned
Decent part choice, I would regret going for 2133mhz ram though. Squeeze in 3000mhz ram and it's a very good price:perf rig without any significant compromise.

Linus told me RAM speeds don't matter...

I have since gone for the 850 instead of the 750 for SSD, which is a mere £10 more however.

LilJoka

Linus told me RAM speeds don't matter...

I have since gone for the 850 instead of the 750 for SSD, which is a mere £10 more however.

Who is Linus?
Just check out some game benches with differing ram speeds. Some games are getting nice bumps and best it'll help those minimum frame rates.

Finaika

Who is Linus?
Just check out some game benches with differing ram speeds. Some games are getting nice bumps and best it'll help those minimum frame rates.

linus42ju7.gif

mulac

Hi,

Looking to change my case. Been using a Phanteks Enthoo Primo the last couple of years but fancy a change and the damn thing is a beast to move around.

I want something better sized and with good aircooling and expandability but in short term to fit:

MSI 1080 Gaming Z
2x DDR4 16GB RAM
3 ssd hard disks
Asus Rampage V Edition 10 Motherboard
Noctua DH15 CPU cooler (2 120mm fans)
6x Noctua Industrial 140mm case fans
Corsair 800w PSU Gold

The Corsair Carbide 740 Air fits the bill but not sure on the E-ATX sizing and would everything be crammed in? The CPU fan looks like it will fit. And not fussed on glass side as the case sits under my desk on the floor.

Open to suggestions...thanks!

Bump. I love the 740 case, but nervous about fitting this motherboard:
https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/ROG-RAMPAGE-V-EDITION-10/specifications/

I've read some reviews that says it supports E-ATX and others that just dont mention it...

Official specs from Corsair:
https://www.pccasegear.com/products/37314/corsair-carbide-air-740-atx-cube-case

Would really appreciate help before pulling the trigger. Thanks Gaf.

I just ordered the ASUS ROG STRIX Z270E Gaming board and it looks like it has two slots for M.2. I'm not exactly sure what this is and if it's worth investing in. I saw a couple of prices for those things and it seems like regular SSD is cheaper but I am interest to know if anyone currently has one of them in their builds. Is going with M.2 better than going with a regular SSD?

Finaika

I just ordered the ASUS ROG STRIX Z270E Gaming board and it looks like it has two slots for M.2. I'm not exactly sure what this is and if it's worth investing in. I saw a couple of prices for those things and it seems like regular SSD is cheaper but I am interest to know if anyone currently has one of them in their builds. Is going with M.2 better than going with a regular SSD?

Only if you're a content creator transferring huge files on your PC.

For general gaming its not a huge improvement over regular SSD, if any at all.

https://youtu.be/tIXSSOzyLbs

Prelude.

Anyone? Any reason why I shouldn't buy the RX470, the MSI Radeon RX470 Gaming X 4GB in particular, for this price point?

I'm thinking of upgrading my GPU in the next few months and I need some help.
Two years ago my 6870 failed and I bought a 750Ti as a cheap emergency replacement, but I feel like it's time to finally get a real upgrade.
I have a fairly old pc, i5 2500k (not OC) with 16gb of ddr3 ram and a 60hz monitor, so I only care about quality 1080p@60fps with a super quiet card, nothing too fancy, under €200/250.

So, I was looking at the 1000 series and from what I can tell there aren't a lot of feasible options here other than the 1050Ti, which doesn't seem amazing. The 1060 seems kind of an odd card since it's either more affordable with "only" 3gb of vram, or super expensive with 6, and the 1070/80 are just too much for my budget. What are my other options? Getting older cards? Is the 1050Ti actually good for 1080p on modern games? AMD?

Edit: What about the RX 470? Seems a hell of a lot better for this price point.

Anyone? Any reason why I shouldn't buy the RX470, the MSI Radeon RX470 Gaming X 4GB in particular, for this price point?

An AMD card will put a lot more strain on your CPU in DX11 games, which could be an issue with a stock 2500k. The 6GB 1060 is a great overall choice of its in your budget.

Prelude.

An AMD card will put a lot more strain on your CPU in DX11 games, which could be an issue with a stock 2500k. The 6GB 1060 is a great overall choice of its in your budget.

According to this thing a 1060 would be bottlenecked by my cpu, and the RX470 wouldn't. But still, a 6GB 1060 is not in my budget at all, they're all €300ish.

They're not. In fact they're even harder because there's water in them so you have to drain the loop if you want to remove the rad and give it a serious clean.

However, you should clean everything in your loop every 6 months or so anyway, so you could just use the opportunity then.

Still, not sure I'd go to water if it's just a matter of dust. The real benefits are lower temps for higher OC. Typically quieter too. But it's a lot of work (and money) just to avoid dust.

Don't get me wrong I'm after the lower temps too, since summer can get pretty hot here. Usually this means open windows which leads to more dust build-up, etc. WC seems like a it would fix these problems.

Still, I've only looked at EKWB's configurator so my knowledge is quite limited. Do you know any worthwhile resources I could take a look at so I can mull it over?

stormthecastle

Neo Member
Hi everyone, I just completed my first build in over a decade and I've run into an issue with my CPU and CPU cooler.

Specs
CPU: i7 7700k
CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i
Motherboard: Asus Z270-A Prime

Now when it was all first installed everything was alright as far as temperatures went, but I noticed that the H115i fans were running full blast from the word go and the CPU fan was showing as N/A in the bios. I loaded up Corsair Link thinking I could make the adjustment in there, but the H115i wouldn't show up so I went about moving the USB connector to another slot on the motherboard, but Windows 10 kept popping up a message saying that they couldn't couldn't recognize the device. Doesn't seem to make a difference which USB port its connected. I disabled the option for allowing windows to turn off USB devices to save power, but that hasn't fixed the issue.

After that I noticed that my CPU temps had jumped up to 89 degrees while running idle and so I shut everything down. Rebooted a couple times since and every time the CPU temps quickly jump up into the 70-80 degrees celsius range within a few minutes. I've tried removing and reapplying the thermal paste thinking maybe the pre-applied paste on the cooler hadn't spread correctly, but there's been no noticeable difference.

Any suggestions? I'm about ready to RMA the H115i thinking I might have just got a defective cooler, but figured I should ask around if I'm just missing something.

Bloodember

Hi everyone, I just completed my first build in over a decade and I've run into an issue with my CPU and CPU cooler.

Specs
CPU: i7 7700k
CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i
Motherboard: Asus Z270-A Prime

Now when it was all first installed everything was alright as far as temperatures went, but I noticed that the H115i fans were running full blast from the word go and the CPU fan was showing as N/A in the bios. I loaded up Corsair Link thinking I could make the adjustment in there, but the H115i wouldn't show up so I went about moving the USB connector to another slot on the motherboard, but Windows 10 kept popping up a message saying that they couldn't couldn't recognize the device. Doesn't seem to make a difference which USB port its connected. I disabled the option for allowing windows to turn off USB devices to save power, but that hasn't fixed the issue.

After that I noticed that my CPU temps had jumped up to 89 degrees while running idle and so I shut everything down. Rebooted a couple times since and every time the CPU temps quickly jump up into the 70-80 degrees celsius range within a few minutes. I've tried removing and reapplying the thermal paste thinking maybe the pre-applied paste on the cooler hadn't spread correctly, but there's been no noticeable difference.

Any suggestions? I'm about ready to RMA the H115i thinking I might have just got a defective cooler, but figured I should ask around if I'm just missing something.
Did you plug the pump into the CPU fan connector? Did you follow the instructions from corsair? If you did it sounds like pump isn't working and you will need to rma it.

stormthecastle

Neo Member
Did you plug the pump into the CPU fan connector? Did you follow the instructions from corsair? If you did it sounds like pump isn't working and you will need to rma it.

Yeah I've got radiator fans going into the Y connector and the three pin going into the CPU_FAN header with the SATA connector on its own dedicated plug and the mini USB plus swapping between the USB headers on the motherboard. I was worried the pump had failed, but that seems like the most likely scenario. Oh well.

Thanks for the help

Izuna

Banned
Who is Linus?

I couldn't find anything about this.

Would my Motherboard even accept 3000Mhz?

I really want mATX

Does anyone have an opinion on foot pedals? I'm thinking about getting one as my "push to talk" button since I hate taking my fingers off the other buttons just to communicate, and I'm not a fan of voice activated mics.

Don't get me wrong I'm after the lower temps too, since summer can get pretty hot here. Usually this means open windows which leads to more dust build-up, etc. WC seems like a it would fix these problems.

Still, I've only looked at EKWB's configurator so my knowledge is quite limited. Do you know any worthwhile resources I could take a look at so I can mull it over?

PC gamer has a good starting point: http://www.pcgamer.com/a-beginners-guide-to-liquid-cooling/

Feel free to PM me. A few weeks ago I was in your position. I might be able to save you some time and headaches.

Received my Corsair 750RMi PSU. Looks great, build quality feels excellent. I may undertake a project to remove the fan and paint it red at some point, but for now it's fine. I'm coming from another Corsair PSU but non-modular, so I'm hyped to finally go full modular.

Also got some Monsoon parts including the red pump cover and some fittings and plugs. I'm trying to decide between their black chrome fittings and Bitspower "black sparkle" (similar color). Haven't gotten the Bitspower yet but these Monsoon ones look fucking awesome.

Love the pump cover but also got a black chrome one (not delivered yet) because I couldn't decide.

Added some lighting options while randomly browsing Amazon tonight:

RGB LED strip

Light plug

I have UV red tubes so these light plugs might look really good with those. Only thought is the extra wiring and how effectively I'll be able to hide them based on where my 90/45 fittings are situated.

The first PC I ever built is celebrating it's 6th anniversary. Still going strong for a secondary PC. I chose high quality components and I make sure to dust it and keep it pretty clean. Thanks to building the PC, I was also inspired to get in IT and now I have a career. I went from being a drop out, working minimum jobs to full time with pretty decent benefits. I don't know if this is the right thread for that, but I didn't feel like starting a new one.

Smokey

The first PC I ever built is celebrating it's 6th anniversary. Still going strong for a secondary PC. I chose high quality components and I make sure to dust it and keep it pretty clean. Thanks to building the PC, I was also inspired to get in IT and now I have a career. I went from being a drop out, working minimum jobs to full time with pretty decent benefits. I don't know if this is the right thread for that, but I didn't feel like starting a new one.

:)

NOKYARD

Happy 6th Anniversary.

GAF, I need recommendations to get this down to $500, and I absolutely need a new case for this. Any recommendations for cheaper motherboards would be great too. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gPRJ2R

I'm not getting rid of the DVD drive, by the way.

I know this is some hilarious penny counting, and maybe not what you were asking for, but you could save some of that like this.

Get a single 8GB stick of ram, save $2
or this one with the promo code https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...-_-DesktopMemory-_-20233821-S2A3A&ignorebbr=1

Maybe get this power supply with a bigger mail in rebate, save $1

this DVD drive is $14.99 with promo code, save $1.9
or this one at $13.99, save $2.9

the Asus RX 470, save $14

Izuna

Banned
I'm conflicted on something.

People are telling me to not get the g2 PSU and go for cheaper, other people are saying I shouldn't compromise... :|

comedian

Apologies if there's a different thread for requests, but does anyone have suggestions for a good pre-built gaming PC (I'm not confident in my ability to build my own, however if someone has a config I'm willing to listen) for a budget of around 1000-1400 gbp.

I know I want a PC with a 4TB SSD, as a bare minimum (I don't want to deal with another 5+ years of managing a small SSD and a large HDD) So I've been looking at late 2017 or early to mid 2018 as a good time to build a new PC. Samsung have a 4TB SSD on the market right now but... damn is it expensive. Another 12-18 months should hopefully see that drop in price quite a bit. I do have some questions about upcoming CPUs and GPUs though:

1) Cannonlake/Coffeelake: From Wikipedia - "Due to low 10 nm yields, Cannon Lake will be limited to 15 Watt U and 5 Watt Y-series system-on-chip parts with GT2. Higher-power mobile and desktop platforms will receive an update in the form of a second 14 nm process refinement with Coffee Lake, which is said to share Cannon Lake's architectural refinements." - If I'm reading this correctly, does that mean desktops simply won't be getting 10nm CPUs in the next Intel generation of CPUs? It sounds like they're saying Cannonlake is the start of the 10nm cycle, but we STILL don't think we can manage that for desktops so we're creating Coffeelake for you guys, which is yet another 14nm CPU but it's still gonna be great, honest.

2) Pascal/Volta: I've seen a lot of people speculating that Nvidia's Volta range won't be releasing this year (at least for desktops) and that another range of Pascal cards will be releasing this year instead (20xx series being Pascal, and 30xx series being Volta in 2018). Does this seem likely? If so that's a big reason to wait out for 2018 to me. I like buying in with the big updates rather than the refinements.

Izuna

Banned
K, changed it up (again)

Around the same price, but this time, I went with 250GB SSD (M.2 only because it's cheaper than the SATA 850 for some reason) with 1TB HDD

I also changed the CPU cooler a bit (I have a 7600k and apparently I should overclock a little). I've upgraded the PSU so a GS 550W, and added two 120mm case fans.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/izunin/saved/3mBYJx

It seems like I've just made it better with little extra costs.

Only thing before I pull the trigger is whether or not I should go for 2x8 (which is like £20 more expensive). I hear that it's slightly better/less stress for the CPU?

Hi UK folks, what's your opinion on PC specialist?
Tempted to buy a pre-made Ryzen 7 system from them. Does anyone have any experience with them?

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I'm conflicted on something.

People are telling me to not get the g2 PSU and go for cheaper, other people are saying I shouldn't compromise... :|

i have a G2. i wasn't prepared to cheap out on the part that powers and has the potential to fry everything else. if a gpu goes then you get a new GPU. if it's your RAM get new RAM. if your PSU goes then it could take everything else down with it. EVGA G2's are good. G3's are the latest. have a look here:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/

if you can get a Tier 1 psu for cheaper then yeah go for it but don't buy a Tier 3 or lower. Tier 2 is OK.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Last night my motherboard cpu and sys fan headers blew up :(. I'm thinking to get an msi motherboard instead of an asus, Also what a good cpu cooler to overclock i5 6600k at 4Ghz.

Motherboard:MSI Z270 SLI PLUS Intel Z270

how'd that happen? i have a similar motherboard. MSI Z170 G43 Plus. it's essentially the same i think except it only supports xfire not sli. it's a good motherboard but my 6700K does 4.5 at 1.34V which is a bit high voltage wise. 4.5 is a bit low. some people can easily do 4.7 or 4.8. not sure if it's the motherboard or i just got unlucky with the CPU.

i have Cooler Master 212X and i know a lot of people hate on it but it's not bad. normal usage browsing chrome/streaming spotify it sits 20-24C. of course that'll depend on ambient temps and fans (i have 4x140mm). absolute highest it went was 83C while overclocked doing IBT. prime95 after 1 hour didn't go past 76C. some video editing/rendering doesn't go over 73C. during gaming it sits usually 55-65C. a 6600k should run cooler due to lack of HT. also 4ghz isn't a huge overclock. the 6600k's turbo boost is 3.9ghz so you're only looking at a 100mhz increase.

a lot of people recommend cryorig h7 or noctua (as ugly as they are) or bequiet! dark rock pro 3. just depends how much you're looking at. my 212X cost £25 whereas a noctua cost about £80.

Simple question, as I toy with the idea of a new rig:

Some of the best tech sites to update my knowledge?
Some of the best youtube channels to support that? (reviews, builds, reviews of upcoming tech)?

Thx gaf as usual.

Khaz

I need some help ordering from Newegg, it's my first time. In my cart I have three items, two of them are grouped together, while the third one is on its own. They are both "Newegg Standard Shipping Service" though. Does that mean anything for shipping? It's important that everything ships in one parcel, as it would be sent abroad by a third party and if in several packages it would be more expensive than ordering locally.

rrs

I need some help ordering from Newegg, it's my first time. In my cart I have three items, two of them are grouped together, while the third one is on its own. They are both "Newegg Standard Shipping Service" though. Does that mean anything for shipping? It's important that everything ships in one parcel, as it would be sent abroad by a third party and if in several packages it would be more expensive than ordering locally.
I'm assuming separate packages

Top Bottom