• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

Hey guys I want to make a Micro ATX build. This is what I've got so far. Price is not much of a issue as this will be my first proper gaming PC in over 10 years.

CPU: Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus STRIX Z270G Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C with Window MicroATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Total: ~ $2000 Australian Dollars

I'm just worried about building it. I was looking at some videos, and the biggest issue for me seems to be where to connect the power plugs on the motherboard.

The PSU is way oversized for that system. Even 500W will have lots of headroom and you'll actually be in a way better range in terms of efficiency.

The PSU is way oversized for that system. Even 500W will have lots of headroom and you'll actually be in a way better range in terms of efficiency.

Biggest issue is his CPU choice which dictates the rest of an over-priced build.

Spend a crazy $320 on a 7600K 4-core 4-thread bottleneck CPU when you'll be able to pick up a 6C/12T 1600X for $250 in 3 weeks. 4 threads for over $300 in 2017 is madness. Glad AMD can shake up the market with their pricing at least.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Looks like TI's are starting to come back in stock, got mine ordered last night :D

Total out of pocket cost: $46.12 for a 1080TI FE. I'll be building a custom loop and slapping water on her soon.

BraXzy

I completed my rebuild recently after my CPU temps peaked above 90C constantly. The Dell XPS case had zero breathing room and terrible cooling so I just gutted it and put it in something more deserving of the components. Took me awhile because I haven't built one since 2012 but it all went smoothly.

Out with the old:

mZIFl1h.jpg

4A7L5pp.png
AF8UjCQ.png

In with the new:

I was really impressed with the cable management for this case. I am pretty pleased with how it turned out but forgot to take a photo.

Case: NZXT S340 Elite
Mobo: MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon
PSU: EVGA 650W G2
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62

The parts from the Dell include an i7-6700K and an NVIDIA GTX 1080.

CPU temperatures now idle at 27-30C and load around 60C max when at stock.

Melubas

I'm in the same boat. Went from 980 to two different 480 Nitros to a cheap 390X I picked up used on Amazon.

Now I'm interested in the RX 500 series and Vega.

I'm hoping for AMD to be competitive at the highest end but I'm not holding my breath, their cards have amazing value but it's been a long time since they could compete with the absolute top end cards from nvidia (sadly, I prefer AMD). 390x is an amazing card though, very underrated. It gets hot which is the only downside, but it performs better than the 480.

Biggest issue is his CPU choice which dictates the rest of an over-priced build.

Spend a crazy $320 on a 7600K 4-core 4-thread bottleneck CPU when you'll be able to pick up a 6C/12T 1600X for $250 in 3 weeks. 4 threads for over $300 in 2017 is madness. Glad AMD can shake up the market with their pricing at least.

I don't disagree that the 1600x will be a great value but what in that system is a 7600k going to bottleneck?

Also, you're aware that's AU dollars? $320 US for a 7600k would, in fact, be crazy.

I completed my rebuild recently after my CPU temps peaked above 90C constantly. The Dell XPS case had zero breathing room and terrible cooling so I just gutted it and put it in something more deserving of the components. Took me awhile because I haven't built one since 2012 but it all went smoothly.

I was really impressed with the cable management for this case. I am pretty pleased with how it turned out but forgot to take a photo.

Case: NZXT S340 Elite
Mobo: MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon
PSU: EVGA 650W G2
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62

The parts from the Dell include an i7-6700K and an NVIDIA GTX 1080.

CPU temperatures now idle at 27-30C and load around 60C max when at stock.

That looks great, congrats! Your temps seem a little high with that big an AIO though. Have you got it set as exhaust or intake? Is it particularly warm where you live?

I ask because I'm getting the same temps (maybe slightly higher under load) with the same CPU at stock, but I've got a smaller AIO and it's set as rear exhaust (tubes aren't long enough to mount in the front as intake).

I don't disagree that the 1600x will be a great value but what in that system is a 7600k going to bottleneck?

Also, you're aware that's AU dollars? $320 US for a 7600k would, in fact, be crazy.

No I meant a CPU with FOUR threads is going to be a bottleneck with any games that scale well with more threads right now let alone in the future, so I would advise against getting a 7600K under any circumstances given their price currently.

Is the speed advantage of a 250GB Samsung 960 Evo vs a Crucial MX300 M.2 275-500GB SSD worth the price difference if I'm not going to put any games on the drive? I do rip BDs and edit video on occassion, so if that's faster with the 960, that's important to know.

Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H motherboard
Intel Core i5-4570K (Default clock)
8GB DDR3 (2 x 4 GB sticks) (Don't remember brand or speed)
GIGABYTE Radeon R9 290 8GB
XFX TS 650W PSU

Have a technical issue that I detailed in this post. tl:dr, my R9 290 is making my system unstable. It'll run games just fine (and stable), but my PC will randomly lock up when I'm doing benign things like web browsing, watching a movie, or transferring files to an external HDD. Taking the R9 290 out seems to stabilize the PC and I get no more BSoD.

Anyway, I was happy with the R9 290, but being that it looks like I'll have to replace it, what would be the best upgrade or even "side"-grade to it? I have a modest 1080p monitor that I might update to g-sync or free-sync but other than that, I'm happy with 1080p and have no desire to go to 4k.

Thoughts?

bomblord1

Banned
This may sound an odd question but I just wondered what people thought.

I've thought a couple times about (on a small scale) building PC's for people. Basically I would help them pick components for their price range. I would order those components at whatever the prices are and then charge them the price of the build plus something like a $50 premium for assembly, build it, test it, and ship it to them.

Do you think there is a market for this? Are there enough people out there who don't want to pay the exuberant prices of a prebuilt, are interested in PC gaming, and don't want to assemble the computer themselves?

I've thought a couple times about (on a small scale) building PC's for people. Basically I would help them pick components for their price range. I would order those components at whatever the prices are and then charge them the price of the build plus something like a $50 premium for assembly, build it, test it, and ship it to them.

Do you think there is a market for this? Are there enough people out there who don't want to pay the exuberant prices of a prebuilt, are interested in PC gaming, and don't want to assemble the computer themselves?

I've actually thought about doing this a few times myself ^^ I think there may be a market for it, but you have to mind that you don't end up getting flooded with emails about every little thing that goes wrong with the build.

The answer to this, especially if you're doing this as a form of self-employment, is that it's going to heavily depend on what sort of community/market you have accessible to you. There is a market for prebuilt PCs, no question about that - Corsair just put out their first effort for a reason after all. However, if aiming locally then you need a sufficiently sized middle class with enough disposable income but not enough willing effort to sustain that business model. If going further afield - that is to say, providing an online service - then you've gotta figure out how you will market this service to people, and account for various factors in terms of shipping, including sheer distance and the potential for damages in transit.

There is a reason the biggest PC building services tend to be those providing very high end machines where they can effectively affording putting a similarly high profit margin on them.

Probably easier just working a job at Micro Center or Geek Squad than starting your own side business. Or even work something out with a local establishment.

bomblord1

Banned
Probably easier just working a job at Micro Center or Geek Squad than starting your own side business. Or even work something out with a local establishment.

I have steady and decent employment I was just wanting to do it on the side to get a little extra spending money I'de definitely have to find contacts to build a user base though you are right.

The answer to this, especially if you're doing this as a form of self-employment, is that it's going to heavily depend on what sort of community/market you have accessible to you. There is a market for prebuilt PCs, no question about that - Corsair just put out their first effort for a reason after all. However, if aiming locally then you need a sufficiently sized middle class with enough disposable income but not enough willing effort to sustain that business model. If going further afield - that is to say, providing an online service - then you've gotta figure out how you will market this service to people, and account for various factors in terms of shipping, including sheer distance and the potential for damages in transit.

There is a reason the biggest PC building services tend to be those providing very high end machines where they can effectively affording putting a similarly high profit margin on them.

Yea, there's definitely a lot to consider. I think I live in an area where it could be popular but I think to make it worthwhile I'de have to do it online.

I have steady and decent employment I was just wanting to do it on the side to get a little extra spending money I'de definitely have to find contacts to build a user base though you are right.

Yea, there's definitely a lot to consider. I think I live in an area where it could be popular but I think to make it worthwhile I'de have to do it online.

Maybe ask around, put up a flyer or two? (Edit: Advertise on social media, forums, etc) Gauge interest even without putting a specific price on things.

Khaz

I might be getting a Shuttle PC with a Core 2 Duo T7300. I have no other information about it.

- Is it more interesting than an Athlon 3700+, especially regarding single-core performance? It would be used for retro XP gaming only.
- What would be the better processor to replace it with? Assuming it can be replaced, it's apparently a mobile processor?
- And what would be the best Graphics card to pair it with? I want bottleneck, single slot and the less noise as possible (ideally passive). I'm currently using a 8800GT with an Accelero, nice card but a massive heatsink that wouldn't fit in the shuttle.

Blastoise

Banned
Thanks for the help guys.

I was told to always have more power than needed. On PC Parts Picker it says I will be using ~ 360W. So maybe I can drop down the power supply. However won't the PC only draw what it needs, I don't get what you mean by better efficiency (sorry I'm a noob).

I might wait a few more weeks. However, this will primarily be a gaming system. Ryzen looks great. But will games really utilise all the cores. I also don't want to be stuck on an AMD motherboard. The Intel/Nvida combo is evil but beneficial.

After this build I will be looking to make a workstation for video editing and more intensive tasks, and I will be looking at Ryzen for that.

Pagusas

Elden Member

Income taxes will kill your margins and unless you develope a good system of testing and automating the builds, your time to money ratio won't be very high.

Additionally think of the annoying support your going to have to offer. The people using your service likely won't want a single thing wrong with their machine, and if something is off you'll be trying to do remote support, paying shipping back cost, and all other sorts of fun stuff.

What I'm saying is $50 a build isn't worth the headache.

Is the speed advantage of a 250GB Samsung 960 Evo vs a Crucial MX300 M.2 275-500GB SSD worth the price difference if I'm not going to put any games on the drive? I do rip BDs and edit video on occassion, so if that's faster with the 960, that's important to know.

Even if you had games I doubt you'd see a difference. As far as loading times, at least.

Bottom line is to see the difference you need things that are storage heavy. For BD files it may be a factor depending on size. I'm sure there must be some benchmarks somewhere that compare video-related tasks between NVMe vs SATA.

I can't decide if I should upgrade my cpu (and therefore motherboard and ram of course) or just get a new GPU.
Either way I'm dragging my feet because I'm in no rush with tinkering with PC hardware at moment, but it still lingers on my mind lol.

Mr Swine

Banned
So My little brother plans to retire his old PC and build a new one with my help. He tells me I can buy his 3770k for $50, is it worth buying it to replace my 3570k? I plan to upgrade my PC mobile and CPU later this year or early next year

So My little brother plans to retire his old PC and build a new one with my help. He tells me I can buy his 3770k for $50, is it worth buying it to replace my 3570k? I plan to upgrade my PC mobile and CPU later this year or early next year
As a stop gap, sure. It hasn't aged as badly as the 3570K AFAIK.

I can't decide if I should upgrade my cpu (and therefore motherboard and ram of course) or just get a new GPU.
Either way I'm dragging my feet because I'm in no rush with tinkering with PC hardware at moment, but it still lingers on my mind lol.
It really depends on your current setup.

If your cpu is still powerful enough and you don't want to spend too much, go for a new medium-high end gpu. If it's an old system it's wiser to start a new build, even a mid range one will perform better overall.

El Txou

Quick question friends, I am upgrading my graphics card from one that uses a 6 pin connector to one that uses a 6+2 pin + another 6 pin. The question is that the 6 pin has the other 6 pin coming out of it, as it the second one goes through the first one. Is this normal? I would think they be sepparate cables, but I am no expert on PCs. So imagine the 6 pin connector, the cables get to it, and come out again and form a second six pin. Would this damage my card? I am sorry if this is a completely rookie question, but I am. Haha. Thanks for any answers.

Quick question friends, I am upgrading my graphics card from one that uses a 6 pin connector to one that uses a 6+2 pin + another 6 pin. The question is that the 6 pin has the other 6 pin coming out of it, as it the second one goes through the first one. Is this normal? I would think they be sepparate cables, but I am no expert on PCs. So imagine the 6 pin connector, the cables get to it, and come out again and form a second six pin. Would this damage my card? I am sorry if this is a completely rookie question, but I am. Haha. Thanks for any answers.

Some PSU manufacturers advice that you use two cables if the power consumption of the card is high.
Seasonic, for instance, sets it at 225W

M.D

I have a brand new laptop in a box that was never opened from 2012.

Is the battery probably done by now or would it not be effected because it was never turned on?

El Txou

Some PSU manufacturers advice that you use two cables if the power consumption of the card is high.
Seasonic, for instance, sets it at 225W

Thanks! I will then bring another separate 6 pin connector cable to the video card.

And one more question, what is the best application to monitor an NVidia GPU temperature etc.?

Thanks! I will then bring another separate 6 pin connector cable to the video card.

And one more question, what is the best application to monitor an NVidia GPU temperature etc.?

GPU-Z or HWmonitor for just getting info

For more (controlling fan speed, OC, etc) msi afterburner. EVGA also has its own, that you may choose if your card is EVGA, but it's been a hassle to download in its latest version.

El Txou

GPU-Z or HWmonitor for just getting info

For more (controlling fan speed, OC, etc) msi afterburner. EVGA also has its own, that you may choose if your card is EVGA, but it's been a hassle to download in its latest version.

You the man, I appreciate you taking your time to answer. Thanks! My card is EVGA but it is a Founders Edition, so will give that a try.

I was thinking of building a new PC in the upcoming weeks and I was wondering if doing a full liquid cooling loop is worthwhile in terms of "dust-proofing" the whole thing. I'm running an air cooled PC right now and while I don't mind cleaning the heatsinks every two weeks I'd rather spare the time.

If that's the case, any resources I could look at? I've been looking at EWKB's "I'm a dumbass" custom loop configurator, but I don't know what the consensus is on that.

Also, mATX or ATX? I don't I'd be building anything superfancy (single GPU, 1 SSD, 2 HDD) but at the same time I don't want to hamstring myself and find out I can't add something just because of the form factor.

LilJoka

I was thinking of building a new PC in the upcoming weeks and I was wondering if doing a full liquid cooling loop is worthwhile in terms of "dust-proofing" the whole thing. I'm running an air cooled PC right now and while I don't mind cleaning the heatsinks every two weeks I'd rather spare the time.

If that's the case, any resources I could look at? I've been looking at EWKB's "I'm a dumbass" custom loop configurator, but I don't know what the consensus is on that.

Also, mATX or ATX? I don't I'd be building anything superfancy (single GPU, 1 SSD, 2 HDD) but at the same time I don't want to hamstring myself and find out I can't add something just because of the form factor.

Instead of dusting heatsinks, you'll be dusting rads.
What is the intended PC specs?

You can cut down quite a bit on the dusting if your case has good dust filters. I'm rocking a Fractal Define R5 and even after 6 months without dusting the insides are still pretty clean, save for a bit of dust on my AIO's rad.

Instead of dusting heatsinks, you'll be dusting rads.
What is the intended PC specs?

As long as radiators are easier to clean than the big-ass CPU heatsinks I'll consider it a worthwhile change :)

I was considering going for a 7700K and a 1080Ti, plus 16GB RAM but everything is subject to change since I haven't really put much time into thinking the whole build.

You can cut down quite a bit on the dusting if your case has good dust filters. I'm rocking a Fractal Define R5 and even after 6 months without dusting the insides are still pretty clean, save for a bit of dust on my AIO's rad.

Yeah, the case is due an upgrade I'm thinking. Right now I've got a Thermaltake Element S and it barely has any filters. Was thinking of switching to a Phanteks Primo or Evolv, which seem kind of nice.

Yeah, the case is due an upgrade I'm thinking. Right now I've got a Thermaltake Element S and it barely has any filters. Was thinking of switching to a Phanteks Primo or Evolv, which seem kind of nice.

Those are big cases right? If you're going with WC and want your coolers as intakes, make sure the tubes are long enough to mount your rads at the front. My AIO's tubes aren't so it's stuck as an exhaust.

Sorry to x-post, but I realise this question is probably better asked here than the AMD Ryzen thread...

So my PRIME X370-PRO's QVL list doesn't list the RAM I bought...
It cites support for both CMK16GX4M2B3600C18 and CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 but not the CMK16GX4M2B3200C16W 2x8 I have... how boned am I? I'm guessing not very, but best to check right?
This is surprising to me after AMD recommended the exact model I purchased, specifically 3200MHz...

Might I see this RAM supported come May, after AMD's memory fix?

BraXzy

That looks great, congrats! Your temps seem a little high with that big an AIO though. Have you got it set as exhaust or intake? Is it particularly warm where you live?

I ask because I'm getting the same temps (maybe slightly higher under load) with the same CPU at stock, but I've got a smaller AIO and it's set as rear exhaust (tubes aren't long enough to mount in the front as intake).

The case only really allows for front intake for the radiator which is how it is set up. It's not super warm but it is in a slightly cramped space which probably doesn't help the temps.

After a quick Google I have just realised however that I totally forgot to install the CAM software so I should probably do that.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Übermatik;232671611 said:
Sorry to x-post, but I realise this question is probably better asked here than the AMD Ryzen thread...

So my PRIME X370-PRO's QVL list doesn't list the RAM I bought...
It cites support for both CMK16GX4M2B3600C18 and CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 but not the CMK16GX4M2B3200C16W 2x8 I have... how boned am I? I'm guessing not very, but best to check right?
This is surprising to me after AMD recommended the exact model I purchased, specifically 3200MHz...

Might I see this RAM supported come May, after AMD's memory fix?

Dont fret, they cant test every single variation of memory, given that its still the same product serries i wouldnt worry one bit.

Hey folks, it's new PC build time for me. First up, the thing to keep in mind - for various reasons I have to go with something like Overclockers UK or Scan and can't buy parts separately. This is not a thing I can change.

So with that in mind, first question is whether folks would recommend Scan vs Overclockers? My build comes in around £100-ish cheaper on Scan and would likely be built and delivered quicker, but I used Overclockers for my last PC and had a good experience, so not sure if I should move away from them.

Second big question - do I get a 1080Ti Founder's Edition or not? I know partner cards are better, but it's not certain when they will release and if there will be a delay in these sites adding the partner cards to their builds rather than buying separately. I use headphones at all times so I'm more tolerant to noise than someone who didn't would be. I'm also less likely to tinker with GPU overclocking.

Here's the build for Scan:

Intel Core i7 7700K
Asus ROG Strix Z270F Gaming
NZXT H440 [Black with Red Trim and Window]
Corsair Hydro H115i V2 liquid cooler with dual SP140L fans
16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz
OEM GTX 1080 TI Founder's Edition
650W Corsair RMx, Modular, Silent, 80PLUS Gold
500GB Samsung 750 EVO SSD
2TB Seagate BarraCuda
Windows 10

And from OCUK

Intel Core i7 7700K
Asus ROG Strix Z270F Gaming
NZXT H440 [Black with Red Trim and Window]
Corsair Hydro H100i V2 liquid cooler
16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz
OCUK GTX 1080 TI Founder's Edition
850W Corsair RMi, Modular, 80PLUS Gold
500GB Samsung 750 EVO SSD
2TB Seagate BarraCuda
Windows 10

Hey folks, it's new PC build time for me. First up, the thing to keep in mind - for various reasons I have to go with something like Overclockers UK or Scan and can't buy parts separately. This is not a thing I can change.

So with that in mind, first question is whether folks would recommend Scan vs Overclockers? My build comes in around £100-ish cheaper on Scan and would likely be built and delivered quicker, but I used Overclockers for my last PC and had a good experience, so not sure if I should move away from them.

Second big question - do I get a 1080Ti Founder's Edition or not? I know partner cards are better, but it's not certain when they will release and if there will be a delay in these sites adding the partner cards to their builds rather than buying separately. I use headphones at all times so I'm more tolerant to noise than someone who didn't would be. I'm also less likely to tinker with GPU overclocking.

Here's the build for Scan:

And from OCUK

Scan are fine, though they do charge for delivery as they use private services. On the other hand, they also provide coverage for if something goes wrong in installation, so... yeah.

As for getting the 1080 Ti, what's your intended use? 1080/1440p with high framerates and/or downsampling? 4K?

Scan are fine, though they do charge for delivery as they use private services. On the other hand, they also provide coverage for if something goes wrong in installation, so... yeah.

As for getting the 1080 Ti, what's your intended use? 1080/1440p with high framerates and/or downsampling? 4K?

1440p high framerates. Going for an Acer Predator XB271HU.

Prelude.

I'm thinking of upgrading my GPU in the next few months and I need some help.
Two years ago my 6870 failed and I bought a 750Ti as a cheap emergency replacement, but I feel like it's time to finally get a real upgrade.
I have a fairly old pc, i5 2500k (not OC) with 16gb of ddr3 ram and a 60hz monitor, so I only care about quality 1080p@60fps with a super quiet card, nothing too fancy, under €200/250.

So, I was looking at the 1000 series and from what I can tell there aren't a lot of feasible options here other than the 1050Ti, which doesn't seem amazing. The 1060 seems kind of an odd card since it's either more affordable with "only" 3gb of vram, or super expensive with 6, and the 1070/80 are just too much for my budget. What are my other options? Getting older cards? Is the 1050Ti actually good for 1080p on modern games? AMD?

Edit: What about the RX 470? Seems a hell of a lot better for this price point.

As long as radiators are easier to clean than the big-ass CPU heatsinks I'll consider it a worthwhile change :)

They're not. In fact they're even harder because there's water in them so you have to drain the loop if you want to remove the rad and give it a serious clean.

However, you should clean everything in your loop every 6 months or so anyway, so you could just use the opportunity then.

Still, not sure I'd go to water if it's just a matter of dust. The real benefits are lower temps for higher OC. Typically quieter too. But it's a lot of work (and money) just to avoid dust.

LordAlu

Can someone recommend a decent 650W+ Gold PSU between £100/150 ?
At that price range you could go 80+ Platinum and get a:
  • Super Flower Leadex Platinum Modular 650W
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2 / 750 P2 / 850 P2
  • SeaSonic Platinum 660 / 760 / 850
  • Corsair HX750i

Top Bottom