• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

I'm getting a 1080ti soon and I was thinking of maybe upgrading my cup but I think I'm still good for now. What do you guys think? Should I be good with my 4770k for a while or should I upgrade? I kinda want to move on to DDR4 ram but I'm not sure if it's any better than DDR3 for games.

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ NCIX)

Total: $1655.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-21 10:58 EDT-0400

Solid build. FYI, I was dead set on the G3 850 but reviews from several sites have owners complaining about the sound of the fan - enough that it doesn't seem like it's random people with bad hardware. Not sure if you saw that in reviews for the 550 - may not be an issue - but if you haven't looked at a lot of reviews for it, might want to check it out.

I'm getting a 1080ti soon and I was thinking of maybe upgrading my cup but I think I'm still good for now. What do you guys think? Should I be good with my 4770k for a while or should I upgrade? I kinda want to move on to DDR4 ram but I'm not sure if it's any better than DDR3 for games.

You're fine.

ISee

If you're aiming to play 1080p/1440p @ 144hz (or something similar) you should also get a new cpu. If you want to play @ 1440p/4k/60 then your 4770k should be more then good enough.

Faster ram is helpful in cpu bottleneck situations in most games, but you can't use ddr4 with your 4770k and skylake/kabylake/ryzen doesn't support ddr3 anyway so there is not really something to compare.

0racle

Hey guys, I just connectes my computer to my projector as a second screen. I will only be using it to play games from the couch. Is there a way to easily select where the game opens on the fly? I find it complicated assigning monitors, changing sound profiles etc.

Ideally I would love to still have my PC screen usable for browsing at the same time, but when I make the PC screen secondary so the game opens on my primary projector the desktop is not displayed correctly and progras don't open as they should
New page bump

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Going to have to use my current GPU as placeholder until the better 1080 ti pops up. Going to start building my new PC next week. Can't wait.

Do I have to have the BIOS set to the motherboard video output at startup and just have the Samsung set as the Primary Display to have both monitors detected? And if so, will that have an effect on any GPU performance from the XTC?

Any easier question may be, if I am using the GTX monitor as the primary display despite not being the boot up display, I am still utilizing the full capabilities of the GTX 1060? To clarify, boot up uses the IGFX monitor on the motherboard currently.

Thanks.

killroy87

Hey guys I'd like a bit of help/guidance for a build. My partner and I want to put a work desk in our living area, so he has a dedicated place to do school work. We have an HTPC that's pretty beefy, but would like to build a compact but capable Mini-ITX PC for the desk. I'm not super confident in my ability to make sure I'm picking parts that are compatible with a M-ITX case, so am looking for some help. Here's some info

PC Purpose: Mainly internet & adobe suite. He has a 2013 Macbook Air right now, which can really bog down when handling Adobe programs, so making sure that it's at least more capable than he has right now is most important. It mayyyy be used for some light gaming, so if an RX 470/480 can fit in there, then great. Also, the mobo would need to be WIFI compatible, I don't want to run ethernet to where the PC will be located.

Budget: Ideally not more than $800. If the video card is the deciding factor on budget, I can keep that in mind and decide later.

As I said, I'd like it to be M-ITX, something can can have a relatyivdly low profile under the desk. Any help with a build would be awesome!

Quoting myself, if anyone's able to help

Quoting myself, if anyone's able to help

Just make sure you get an mITX board

MSI with wifi, etc.: B250

It's a "gaming" board but really it's just a solid mITX with features. And $90 after rebate.

Normal parts should fit (i.e., not giant massive CPU coolers, etc.)

Not sure about 480 fitting in the case; just find dimensions or search for them as a pair and see if others have used the same setup.

New page bump

Tried windowed/borderless mode for the game running on the projector?

Finally upgrading my old 660ti to a 1070!

I sold a bunch of stuff I never use to Amazon (some games and an old Android tablet) and only had to pay an extra $100 for the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 Mini ITX card.

I'm excited to have a smaller sized card too. I'm planning on getting a smaller case and motherboard in the future since I'm a little tired of my full sized beast.

I'll need to upgrade my i5 3570K and motherboard next, but I think I'll be pretty happy with what I've got now for a little while longer. Really want to give Witcher 3 (and the DLC) a replay with this way better graphics card. I know the CPU will probably be my biggest bottleneck, but I rarely run games with all the graphics settings at full blast even when I'm capable of it (I always turn off motion blur for instance) so I think I'll be pretty happy.

If you're aiming to play 1080p/1440p @ 144hz (or something similar) you should also get a new cpu. If you want to play @ 1440p/4k/60 then your 4770k should be more then good enough.

Faster ram is helpful in cpu bottleneck situations in most games, but you can't use ddr4 with your 4770k and skylake/kabylake/ryzen doesn't support ddr3 anyway so there is not really something to compare.

I was gonna get a new mb and probably pick up a 7700k and buy some DDR4 ram. I honestly only play at 1080p on a tv or on a monitor that's 2560x1080. It's just that itch to get in the case and upgrade but if the newer cup and ram aren't much of an upgrade then I'll just wait. I don't think I'll be playing at 1440 or a super high framerate until Gsync is a little more affordable and I don't plan on going SLI ever again so I don't see myself playing in 4k anytime soon. I just don't want to be bottle neck the 1080ti and I'm dying to get back in the case and mess around lol. Thanks for the replies guys.

Need to final update my AMD X6 1055/GTX460 build from 2009.

Looking for something capable, but <$1000 (USD).
I'd like things playable at 1440p, but I'm not one to usually worry about maxing out settings.
One thing I'd like is for it to be relatively quiet (unlike my current machine that has a certain "jet taking off"-like quality to it under load).
Thinking of doing a mini ITX slim tower case to save room on my desk, but could be convinced otherwise if there's a good reason not to.

This is what I've put together at this point. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

CPU: Intel Core i5-7500 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($192.33 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG C7 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($26.99 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Motherboard: ASRock Z270M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($113.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($114.97 @ Jet)
Storage: Crucial MX300 275GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($89.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Dual Video Card ($254.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case ($78.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair SF 450W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($89.83 @ Jet)
Total: $961.96

Other notes:
Won't be overclocking.

Try again. Mostly, do I lose much or anything going mini ITX on a mid-range gaming build?

Try again. Mostly, do I lose much or anything going mini ITX on a mid-range gaming build?

Well, you're putting a non-overclockable CPU into a motherboard built for overclocking. Unless you're wanting to leave the option open to step up on the same generation of CPU, or there's certain other features on the motherboard you really want (like the higher memory speeds, for example), you could save a bit by going down to the H270 or B250 options available.

As to 1440p gaming, the main constraint there will be the GPU. The 1060 is capable of maxing games out but only for a locked 30 fps, and will bounce around the 30-50 fps region if unlocked. Not sure how much you'd have to lower settings to achieve a stable 60 fps in most games, but I suppose it is doable.

JCH!

I need your help guys.

For the last couple of days my PC has been acting up. It will suddenly go to sleep while I'm using it (browsing the web, playing games, etc.) even though I have it set to NEVER sleep in the power management settings.

I already tried all the usual troubleshooting procedures:

-Virus/malware scan (nothing showed up).
-Driver updates (everything is up to date).
-Cleaned system and reseated cooler in case it was a temperature related problem (it isn't, my i74790k idles in the high 20s-low 30s).
-Did a fresh Windows install.

Problem persists. Any ideas? Could it be a hardware problem? Maybe my PSU (Corsair 650M) is borked?

Halp pls :(

I need your help guys.

For the last couple of days my PC has been acting up. It will suddenly go to sleep while I'm using it (browsing the web, playing games, etc.) even though I have it set to NEVER sleep in the power management settings.

I already tried all the usual troubleshooting procedures:

-Virus/malware scan (nothing showed up).
-Driver updates (everything is up to date).
-Cleaned system and reseated cooler in case it was a temperature related problem (it isn't, my i74790k idles in the high 20s-low 30s).
-Did a fresh Windows install.

Problem persists. Any ideas? Could it be a hardware problem? Maybe my PSU (Corsair 650M) is borked?

Halp pls :(

I'm thinking PSU yeah, or maybe something in BIOS. Try clearing your CMOS or resetting defaults in BIOS and see if that helps.

Celcius

°Temp. member

Let's say I buy a 1070 from EVGA and the FTW 1080 Ti comes out like 1 - 3 weeks later. Can I do the step up thing with it?

Ah, I'm in a similar boat (gtx 780 ti here which is roughly equivalent).
As far as being able to step up to a FTW3, you would have to wait until evga adds it to their step-up eligible list: http://www.evga.com/support/stepup/
Currently only the founders edition is listed for the Ti, but FTW or ICX models aren't listed for the regular 1080 either. I wouldn't risk it.

Everything looks great. Unless you want to SLI or Crossfire, ITX is a great choice.

Well, you're putting a non-overclockable CPU into a motherboard built for overclocking. Unless you're wanting to leave the option open to step up on the same generation of CPU, or there's certain other features on the motherboard you really want (like the higher memory speeds, for example), you could save a bit by going down to the H270 or B250 options available.

As to 1440p gaming, the main constraint there will be the GPU. The 1060 is capable of maxing games out but only for a locked 30 fps, and will bounce around the 30-50 fps region if unlocked. Not sure how much you'd have to lower settings to achieve a stable 60 fps in most games, but I suppose it is doable.

Thanks! I’ll look a bit more into the motherboards. I’m pretty sure I chose the z270 for the memory speed, but maybe that’s not all that important.

Thanks! I’ll look a bit more into the motherboards. I’m pretty sure I chose the z270 for the memory speed, but maybe that’s not all that important.

For gaming performance it can make something of a difference, but it's obviously tertiary to the combination of CPU and GPU. Digital Foundry have a good video about it.

darksunpr

I already asked this but received no answer so I will ask it in a different way. I have a 1060 plus a 1080p freesync monitor. Whats better to upgrade the 1060 to a 1070 or switch to a rx480/580?

I already asked this but received no answer so I will ask it in a different way. I have a 1060 plus a 1080p freesync monitor. Whats better to upgrade the 1060 to a 1070 or switch to a rx480/580?

Neither. You can get a 1080 now for like 80 more bucks than a 1070. Just wait and save up a bit more.

Whilst I normally suggest waiting, in your case a 1060 to a 580 makes no sense as the 500-series is going to be a rebadge and minor improvement over your card.

Wait til Vega if you can, a 1060 is good for 1080p gaming and will carry you over easily til then surely.

I haven't built a new PC since 2009 (sans a budget build emergency replacement in late 2013 with mostly reused parts and a GTX 770) so I'm going all out. I ordered two of everything below but unfortunately it's not all for me as I am building the exact same PC for my wife who is also a big gamer. Everything should be here by this Friday and I will try and post some before and after pics when I have everything. Parts are below:

Acer Predator XB271HU Monitor - 1440P, IPS, 27"
iKBC RGB Keyboard - Cherry MX Red Keyboard
Intel i7 7700K (Kaby Lake)
MSI GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5X
Asus Maximus IX Hero Motherboard
2x 8GB DDR4 3200, G.SKILL Ripjaws V
Samsung 960 1TB SSD
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - (USB Edition)
be quiet! Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler
be quiet! Silent Base 800 PC Case (Black)
be quiet! Straight Power 10 600W, Fully Modular PSU
be quiet! 140mm PWM x3
be quiet! 120mm PWM x2

I already received the monitors and they turned out better than expected. I was really nervous about all of the quality issues related to BLB, IPS glow, and dead pixels in these but they were both perfect. They had a manufacture date of December 2016 and I even got them on sale for $650 each (normally $750+). I was considering a Dell TN alternative but pulled the trigger when the sale popped up. They look completely mind blowing compared to my current Samsung 23" monitor.

I went with the iKBC keyboard since I couldn't find a Ducky Shine 5/6 anywhere and these seem nearly identical. Apparently they are a new brand and are known for manufacturing other well known and well received keyboards.

Going with air cooled this time (Corsair H60 on my last build) since that seems the better way to go for Kaby Lake CPUs and will take up less room in the case. Should also be quieter and less airflow restrictive due to size.

As for the case, I went with the Silent Base 800 since I already have a Fractal Define R4 and there were a few things I don't like about it. I did consider the R5. I also looked at the new smaller Silent Base 600 but preferred the aesthetics and design of the 800. Other recommendations like the Enthoo didn't quite seem to meet my biggest requirement which was for silent operation. Some of the Enthoo cases did look good though.

I shellled out extra for the 1 TB SSD so I don't have to worry avout primary storage. I also have 4 TB of 7200 RPM SATA 3 HDDs that I will be using from my old PC(s) for storage and backups. Eventually I want to swap those for a single 2 or 4 TB SATA 6.

I'll be keeping my Steel Series mouse and mousepad. :)

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Ah, I'm in a similar boat (gtx 780 ti here which is roughly equivalent).
As far as being able to step up to a FTW3, you would have to wait until evga adds it to their step-up eligible list: http://www.evga.com/support/stepup/
Currently only the founders edition is listed for the Ti, but FTW or ICX models aren't listed for the regular 1080 either. I wouldn't risk it.

I'm getting itchy fingers though. Might settle for founders edition.

Quick question about Hard drives and windows. I'm replacing a secondary HDD for a new one, but it turns out that System Reserved partition ended there even though windows was installed on the main SSD. I read online that all I have to do is remove the old HDD and put the windows installation disk or USB and choose repair.

This wont reinstall windows from scratch will it?

edit: never mind, the whole thing could be done from the command prompt

I'm looking for some advice on upgrades. My current system is:

i5 2320 3.0GHz
GTX960
8GB DDR3 1333
Gigabyte GA-P61-USB3-B3
128GB SSD + an assortment of HDD
550w Seasonic 80+ Bronze PSU
LG 21:9 29UM68 2560x1080 FreeSync Monitor

I live in South Africa so US prices don't really apply to me. In terms of upgrades, what should I focus on? Originally I wanted to completely rebuild and go for a Ryzen 5 1600X and a RX580 or RX VEGA, but after doing my budget, it's either one or the other, unless I dramatically cut costs on the CPU side.

So I thought about grabbing a secondhand i7 3770 and putting that in my system, and then grabbing a new AMD GPU in June. This would cost me around ZAR1200 + GPU cost. I could sell my current chip for around ZAR600.

Alternatively, I thought about getting a i7 3770K and a Z77 mobo so I can overclock it. My current mobo is really old and doesn't even have a front panel USB3 connector. Prices are around ZAR2500 for a Z77 and 3770K combo.

Or I just keep playing older games and indies and wait until next year to build a Ryzen system. Being optimistic, I'm probably looking at around ZAR6500-7000 for a new mobo, ram and CPU. I don't really want to wait any longer, to be honest. I'm already several years behind, and I'd like to give some of the newer AAA games a go, at settings and framerates that I'd enjoy.

Advice?

I was gonna get a new mb and probably pick up a 7700k and buy some DDR4 ram. I honestly only play at 1080p on a tv or on a monitor that's 2560x1080. It's just that itch to get in the case and upgrade but if the newer cup and ram aren't much of an upgrade then I'll just wait. I don't think I'll be playing at 1440 or a super high framerate until Gsync is a little more affordable and I don't plan on going SLI ever again so I don't see myself playing in 4k anytime soon. I just don't want to be bottle neck the 1080ti and I'm dying to get back in the case and mess around lol. Thanks for the replies guys.

Instead of buying a mobo-cpu-ram combo I'd just buy a good gsync monitor and overclock the hell out of your current cpu. Same price basically, better bang-for buck in most scenarios.

I have a Titan Xp and a worse - though overclocked to 4.2 ghz - cpu (4670k): everything is fine. Sure, I could squeeze some more fps with a newer cpu, but thanks to gsync I can play everything maxed out at 1440p and forget about performance (or downgrade some settings and get really high framerates).

TI82

Banned
Hey guys, so I have some questions here, mostly want to get some feedback. A friend of mine is going through a real struggle. Turns out his girlfriend/fiancee has been emotionally abusing him for years and he has finally had enough and left her and she's currently undergoing a lot of mental treatments. So him and their daughter are having a really hard time. They have support, house etc but we learned that he actually doesn't have a PC anymore since all of their gaming stuff belongs to her. So since his birthday is coming up we are pooling money together to build him a new PC. Currently we are at around $400 but I see us getting around $800 reasonably. Because of our location we would rather stick to Amazon since they are the only seller that ships to us for reasonable rates. Our current build is:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270P-D3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($108.99)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($114.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($93.99)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 470 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card ($155.02 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($46.17)
Total: $818.15
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-22 18:42 EDT-0400

We are interested in any help and suggestions. I normally don't shop for more affordable parts and when I do I tend to go refurbished or even used but for a gift that didn't feel appropriate. We also have a case already and know we need to get a cpu cooler.

He mostly plays Overwatch and Fallout 4 and other games of that sort but I want him to have something that will last awhile but also not cost us a fortune since we aren't exactly rich.

I am going to upgrade my PC and carry over a few parts like my fairly new video card RX 480.

CPU will be Ryzen, may wait for the Ryzen 5 series but right now I am looking at the Ryzen 1700.

The motherboard will be MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon ATX AM4 DDR4 CrossFire SLI USB3.1 Motherboard.

The memory will be G.SKILL Trident Z 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200 CL14-14-14-34 1.35V 288PIN Memory Kit - Silver / Red.

I know it's still early but are MSI motherboards good and is this memory the one I want? I heard something about Samsung b-die is the one to get, is this the right memory?

Vipu

Banned
Hey guys, so I have some questions here, mostly want to get some feedback. A friend of mine is going through a real struggle. Turns out his girlfriend/fiancee has been emotionally abusing him for years and he has finally had enough and left her and she's currently undergoing a lot of mental treatments. So him and their daughter are having a really hard time. They have support, house etc but we learned that he actually doesn't have a PC anymore since all of their gaming stuff belongs to her. So since his birthday is coming up we are pooling money together to build him a new PC. Currently we are at around $400 but I see us getting around $800 reasonably. Because of our location we would rather stick to Amazon since they are the only seller that ships to us for reasonable rates. Our current build is:

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($114.00 @ Amazon)

We are interested in any help and suggestions. I normally don't shop for more affordable parts and when I do I tend to go refurbished or even used but for a gift that didn't feel appropriate. We also have a case already and know we need to get a cpu cooler.

He mostly plays Overwatch and Fallout 4 and other games of that sort but I want him to have something that will last awhile but also not cost us a fortune since we aren't exactly rich.

Thats very nice of you.
I hope he gets the pc he deserves!
Seems pretty good build but maybe someone can help more.

TI82

Banned
Thats very nice of you.
I hope he gets the pc he deserves!
Seems pretty good build but maybe someone can help more.

thanks! Yeah I went to reddit before this and that was the outcome I just wanted some more fresh eyes is all. Really wish we had a microcenter or that newegg didnt charge so much. I personally buy mostly used parts since I'm a baller on a budet.

If he isn't planning to overclock, I would recommend bumping down to a 7500, getting a B250 motherboard, and then use the money saved to bump up the GPU. I can't add it via PC Part Picker, but Amazon has this 8 GB model going for $219.99 (down from $289.99) so if you're wanting to stick with them, then this with the other tweaks should be a good boost compared to what you already planned.

Blastoise

Banned
Hey guys I want to make a Micro ATX build. This is what I've got so far. Price is not much of a issue as this will be my first proper gaming PC in over 10 years.

CPU: Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus STRIX Z270G Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C with Window MicroATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Total: ~ $2000 Australian Dollars

I'm just worried about building it. I was looking at some videos, and the biggest issue for me seems to be where to connect the power plugs on the motherboard.

TI82

Banned
If he isn't planning to overclock, I would recommend bumping down to a 7500, getting a B250 motherboard, and then use the money saved to bump up the GPU. I can't add it via PC Part Picker, but Amazon has this 8 GB model going for $219.99 (down from $289.99) so if you're wanting to stick with them, then this with the other tweaks should be a good boost compared to what you already planned.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I'll discuss it with the other people to see if we want to get him an overclockable or not. The annoying thing is that now you have to have a K cpu and Z motherboard whereas before he could choose to upgrade the cpu to a K if he wanted to in the future now it's a lot more work.

But yeah having a nicer gpu for no overclocking might be a good bet.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I'll discuss it with the other people to see if we want to get him an overclockable or not. The annoying thing is that now you have to have a K cpu and Z motherboard whereas before he could choose to upgrade the cpu to a K if he wanted to in the future now it's a lot more work.

But yeah having a nicer gpu for no overclocking might be a good bet.

It really depends on what sort of performance margins he's aiming for. For 1080p/60, might as well go for the GPU.

TI82

Banned
It really depends on what sort of performance margins he's aiming for. For 1080p/60, might as well go for the GPU.

It's very true, I just love having that option to overclock so I figured he would too? But I definitely see where you are coming from. Maybe if enough people join our pool we can do both :)

It's very true, I just love having that option to overclock so I figured he would too? But I definitely see where you are coming from. Maybe if enough people join our pool we can do both :)

Well, with an extra hundred dollars it would certainly be feasible. The GPU at least is only 70 dollars more.

Just bought the PSU and a lot of MMRS stuff. Not that I wasn't aware beforehand but I now truly appreciate, first hand, the cost of a high-end water build. Lmao; just hemorrhaging money.

EK D5 pump, sleeved
Corsair RM750i PSU
250mm tube (blood red)
red tension rods
black chrome tension rods
dual CCFL red light
Two 25mm mounts (black chrome)
Two 25mm mounts (red)
single port, two side port end cap
D5 pump mount end cap
red pump cover
black chrome pump cover
red plugs
black chrome plugs
bitspower black sparkle fitting
monsoon black chrome fitting
various custom PSU cables in red

I bought two colors of the rods, mounts, covers, plugs - and both bitspower and monsoon economy hardline fittings - because I just couldn't decide. I want to see them in person. Fairly low-cost stuff though and I can get rid of extras to recoup. Someone on another forum suggested using both red and black chrome tension rods, alternating, which I thought was cool. Definitely going to try a few combinations before I decide on the final.

1080Ti step-up should be coming mid next week. Everything else remaining should arrive before that except the CPU cooler. I bought two: Heatkiller IV Pro and Kryos NEXT with Vision. The former was supposed to be delivered today but apparently hasn't even shipped (from Germany). I got it direct because no stock in the U.S. at the time (of course now it is). The latter I got the last of at a U.S. vendor but now they're telling me someone may have screwed up and sold it to a later buyer - it'd be 2+ weeks for another. Will know for sure tomorrow. I ordered both because I discovered the Kryos NEXT with Vision right after ordering the Heatkiller. Couldn't cancel so I figured I'd at least check them both out when they arrive. I'm 99% sure I'm going with the Kryos, though.

Fuck! Apparently buying and getting CPU blocks delivered is complicated.

Akim

Banned
I'm going to build a new PC when the 1080 ti aftermarket cards release. Can anyone look over my build?

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rJ4rnn
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rJ4rnn/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($345.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.99 @ Corsair)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS IX HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($232.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($78.96 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Turbo Video Card ($700.00)
Case: Corsair Crystal 460X ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.89 @ Amazon)
Total: $1937.78
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-22 23:32 EDT-0400

I'm going to build a new PC when the 1080 ti aftermarket cards release. Can anyone look over my build?

7700k for $309 here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core-...219289?hash=item5b324223d9:g:8LoAAOSwjDZYhlRi

Also $299 at MicroCenter (in-store only) if you happen to be near one.

IX Hero $215 at Provantage: http://www.provantage.com/asus-maximus-ix-hero~7ASUS2XL.htm

I happened to have searched these recently. My setup will be similar but with a IX Code and everything on water.

Have you considered the Code, btw? More features, looks better (IMO). It's another 65 bucks but it's not like this isn't already a 2k rig. And the ~$45 of savings from the links above can go towards it.

Exis

Okay Team, Can someone let me know if I have any gaps here? Been about 10 years since I built a PC and while water cooling seems like overkill. I mostly just want to be able to play Planet Coaster, Civ and emulation and build on the base of this for the next couple of years.

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($324.88 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid Pro 280 64.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock X370 Taichi ATX AM4 Motherboard ($198.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 750 Evo 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($159.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.33 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus Radeon RX 470 8GB ROG STRIX GAMING Video Card ($187.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT H440 (Glossy White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($92.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: NZXT HALE82 V2 700W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1304.14
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-23 00:24 EDT-0400

erawsd

So I got an MSI motherboard (Gaming Pro Carbon to be exact). Anyone know if any of their other software is worth using?

I normally wouldn't bother, but I know they have a pretty good overlocking program and some of this stuff seems to tie into the motherboard's features.

Okay Team, Can someone let me know if I have any gaps here? Been about 10 years since I built a PC and while water cooling seems like overkill. I mostly just want to be able to play Planet Coaster, Civ and emulation and build on the base of this for the next couple of years.

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($324.88 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid Pro 280 64.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock X370 Taichi ATX AM4 Motherboard ($198.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 750 Evo 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($159.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.33 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus Radeon RX 470 8GB ROG STRIX GAMING Video Card ($187.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT H440 (Glossy White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($92.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: NZXT HALE82 V2 700W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1304.14
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-23 00:24 EDT-0400
The 1700 includes a cooler, so unless you have a specific need for liquid cooling, you can drop that and save $100. You also don't need an X370 mobo unless you plan on doing a SLI setup. I would probably drop the liquid cooler and go to a B350 mobo and put the difference towards a better GPU, or perhaps even buy a lower end GPU right now and put all that money toward Vega.

Hey guys I want to make a Micro ATX build. This is what I've got so far. Price is not much of a issue as this will be my first proper gaming PC in over 10 years.

CPU: Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus STRIX Z270G Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C with Window MicroATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Total: ~ $2000 Australian Dollars

I'm just worried about building it. I was looking at some videos, and the biggest issue for me seems to be where to connect the power plugs on the motherboard.

Why would you make a build with a 7600K when Ryzen 5 is releasing in 3 weeks? Then you'll be able to pick up a 6-core 1600X 3.8Ghz/4Ghz turbo for $250. There will also be a range of more MATX boards releasing then too.

Melubas

I really want a new graphics card to replace my 390x, especially since I now have a 4k tv. Whyyyy AMD, why won't you release Vega so I can make my decision between that and 1080 ti! I want to be faithful but this is hard!

sp3ctr3

Been doing ok so far with a i3 2.9ghz, 4gb ddr3 and a fanless GT630.

Time to upgrade and I have all the parts figured out except the graphics card. I want something in the GeForce GTX1050 range but as it's a PC for my living room I want it next to complete quiet.

What card do you recommend?

I really want a new graphics card to replace my 390x, especially since I now have a 4k tv. Whyyyy AMD, why won't you release Vega so I can make my decision between that and 1080 ti! I want to be faithful but this is hard!

I'm in the same boat. Went from 980 to two different 480 Nitros to a cheap 390X I picked up used on Amazon.

Now I'm interested in the RX 500 series and Vega.

Top Bottom