• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think a bug may have crawled into my ear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prez

Here's a tip: never put water in your ear when a bug is in there. If it made a hole in your eardrum, the water will get in your middle ear and that could cause a nasty infection.

Other than that, even if you eardrum was completely gone, you wouldn't be deaf. A tear in the eardrum can be fixed with surgery. Even if there was no fix, a bone conductor would allow you to hear near perfect again.

Just FYI.

yes, well I called my doctors office just to see if anybody was there and they actually have have an overnight staff which I often forget they have. just one doctor and a couple nurses. When I called, the woman that answered the phone made me feel like one of those idiots that constantly goes to the doctor whenever the slightest thing unsettles them. Why would I wait till morning for something like this? couldn't it crawl further? Yea, a bug crawls into your ear and you don't have a roommate so nobody can get it out for you at 1 am... what would you do woman? yea shut the fuck up. Maybe it was just me but it felt like she was downgrading me.

Anyways went there and I was in and out in like 15 minutes. Doctor used one of those scope things to look and said there was one in my ear. Man that made me want to faint !_!

All he did was use a lot of ear drops then was able to slowly get it out by spreading my ear and using tweezers. I could hear it when he started messing with it. fucked up and I don't really wanna talk about it anymore lmao :[

got home at like 2:20 and went to bed. woke up at 12 am still freaked but I'm ok now. think I'm going to be charged for the doctor too, damn...
Whew... glad you actually went to the doctor.

Did he crush it? Did you get to take it home with you?

CTE

Here's a tip: never put water in your ear when a bug is in there. If it made a hole in your eardrum, the water will get in your middle ear and that could cause a nasty infection.

Other than that, even if you eardrum was completely gone, you wouldn't be deaf. A tear in the eardrum can be fixed with surgery. Even if there was no fix, a bone conductor would allow you to hear near perfect again.

Just FYI.

Then how do mumps as a child make it not fixable? Would be awesome for my Mom to hear in that ear again. A procedure I'm not aware of yet?

Is this newer medicine? This happened back in '87 or so. Did the tech. exist then and we were not told?

Desmond

16692337.jpg

Prez

Then how do mumps as a child make it not fixable? Would be awesome for my Mom to hear in that ear again. A procedure I'm not aware of yet?

Is this newer medicine? This happened back in '87 or so. Did the tech. exist then and we were not told?

Hearing loss caused by the mumps in childhood are due to damage to the inner ear. This is permanent and can't be fixed. Hearing loss due to damage to the outer and middle ear often have a very good prognosis.

The inner ear contains the cochlea which is the organ that receives sound and sends it to the brain. The eardrum and middle ear bones only amplify and transmit the sound to the inner ear. Damage to the outer and middle ear can often be fixed with tympanoplasty. Damage to the inner ear can't be repaired.

Some people are born with no ear canal and/or middle ear at all, but have a normal inner ear. These people get a bone conductor, a hearing aid that convert sound received by a microphone to vibrations which transmit the sound through the skull bones to the inner ear. This is pretty neat, because it sounds pretty much the same as normal hearing. This does not help people with inner ear damage however.

Biff

yes, well I called my doctors office just to see if anybody was there and they actually have have an overnight staff which I often forget they have. just one doctor and a couple nurses. When I called, the woman that answered the phone made me feel like one of those idiots that constantly goes to the doctor whenever the slightest thing unsettles them. Why would I wait till morning for something like this? couldn't it crawl further? Yea, a bug crawls into your ear and you don't have a roommate so nobody can get it out for you at 1 am... what would you do woman? yea shut the fuck up. Maybe it was just me but it felt like she was downgrading me.

Anyways went there and I was in and out in like 15 minutes. Doctor used one of those scope things to look and said there was one in my ear. Man that made me want to faint !_!

All he did was use a lot of ear drops then was able to slowly get it out by spreading my ear and using tweezers. I could hear it when he started messing with it. fucked up and I don't really wanna talk about it anymore lmao :[

got home at like 2:20 and went to bed. woke up at 12 am still freaked but I'm ok now. think I'm going to be charged for the doctor too, damn...

I've seen and read a lot of fucked up things on the Internet.

To see a thread where a guy suspects a bug crawl into his ear, and then get the results that it actually did, is by far the freakist, skin-crawlingest thing I have ever Internet'd before.

PK Gaming

Happened to me when I was younger. It was one of the worst experiences of my life, because I could hear it burrowing deeper and deeper into my ear. (this was right before I went to bed too so I basically couldn't sleep) When I stopped panicking, It died down, but the burrowing was still there. It stopped the very next day.

I guess it eventually died, serves that fucking bastard right.

EDIT: Hahaha I can't stop laughing, some of the responses to this thread are hilarious.

quit complaining on a FORUM and go to a clinic to have your ear flushed out. good grief.

This is the second thread in the last week or so I've seen you jump into and talk to the OP like he's an idiot for not doing the obvious, after he has already done the obvious. Seriously, he posted like three times the whole thread, why don't you at least jump through the thread reading the OP's posts instead of telling him to do what he has already said he's done. You don't deserve your awesome avatar.

I didn't think that would actually happen, had a earwig fall on me and start attacking me this past summer. Glad it didn't do the same inside your ear.

Dizzy

Banned
You actually had one in? ffs, good job you went to the doctor. If it happened to me my skin would be crawling for the next few weeks.

I didn't know that earwigs actually went in ears despite their names. Had one on top of my ear once as a child, like where a pair of glasses would sit. Just felt some itching there brushed my hand over it and it fell onto the floor :-[ disgusting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom