• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think my apartment may be haunted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

supergiz

You know what you have to do. Get something that records video, set it up, and see if you catch anything. Only way to truly know.

I'm dead serious I will do this. I have a webcam that I can use. Any good software to do this with? Screw it I don't think my cheap webcam will work at night. I need to find something that can record night vision. What can I buy? I will literally go online and buy it right now assuming it's not incredibly expensive.

RELAYER

Banned
So I'm convinced my apartment is haunted. Just to give a bit of back story here, I live in a studio apartment in Brooklyn New York that cost $1075 including utilities. This may seem expensive but the cheapest price of a usual apartment in my area the same size is about $1500 excluding utilities.

The last few days I have noticed a weird smell coming from my apartment. I couldn't find a source of the smell, as I keep this place very clean and there is not much space to check for anything that would cause a smell like this. It smelled similar to a dead animal, and I was convinced that something died behind the walls. I just want to emphasize that the smell started 2 days ago and I have searched the room in every possible space for the source of the smell to no avail.

Now just tonight I come home from work and notice this on the wall near my kitchenette that I haven't used or been near for 2 months.
sp6S69nh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/sp6S69n.jpg

Upon inspection of it, I find out it's ketchup but fresh. It comes off easily with a wet towel. The strange thing is I am the only one who has access to my apartment, and I don't have any friends that every come near my apartment. Basically it's just me in here, and no one else ever enters the place.

I'm convinced now that this place is legit haunted. Just as I was typing this I had my desktop pc on a search page for YouTube and on it's own it went to another website. Is there anywhere I can go on the internet to see if either this place is documented as haunted or had someone commit suicide in it or something? I know they have to disclose this kind of stuff but who knows maybe the Landlord kept it hidden.

If you have any other theories how the ketchup ended up on the wall like that I would be interested to hear them as well.

TDLR: Weird smell like dead animal in apartment for two days, discover ketchup smeared all over wall as in picture. Now computer acting on it's own. Is my apartment haunted?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzDvpT-MjYs

Why does every incarnation of a ghost just throw random shit against the wall and maybe move one or two things

Maybe only the most boring people on the planet turn into ghosts when they die

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
Put a very fine layer of some flour/talcom powder loosely on the floor. If it's someone or an animal, they'll leave tracks and not notice hopefully if you make it a thin enough layer.

You should be able to only see it by shining a flashlight very horizontal to the ground. It will make the flour visible and any footprints.

Pray to god it's a ghost because all the real world scenarios are pretty shitty to downright dangerous.

edit: Also, notify your landlord and concerns of infestation/breakin immediately.

I'm dead serious I will do this. I have a webcam that I can use. Any good software to do this with? Screw it I don't think my cheap webcam will work at night. I need to find something that can record night vision. What can I buy? I will literally go online and buy it right now assuming it's not incredibly expensive.
Dude... its not night time you need it for. Someone is coming into your house. You use the webcam to figure out who. This isnt a ghost because they arent real.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Are your work hours long or consistent? Would a landlord know exactly when would be a good time to rent out your home through airbnb or make it his day getaway or whatever?

rtcn63

The house is haunted, but it's you who's haunting it. That noise and the stains are from the people living there now.

Tevious

OP, don't jump to conclusions. There could actually be someone breaking into your house. Or you could be going insane.

Your first response should've been to consider that an actual living person may be fucking with your apartment. We have evidence that people actually exist and have been known to interact with physical objects.

Arcia

Banned
Also what if it is a rat problem? Dead rat in the wall or rat feces and urine would explain the smell. And a rat chewing on a ketchup packet and popping it could explain the ketchup splatter (maybe?)

SoulUnison

Banned
It's not haunted because that's not really a thing that exists.

Unfortunately, the truth is scarier.
Somebody has access to your apartment and is there without your consent, apparently repeatedly and often.

You need to set up some sort of surveillance system, maybe invest in some additional locks, check closets, attics, basements and crawlspaces, and generally be slightly paranoid until you get this figured out.

The next step is using hidden cameras to see exactly what's going on when you're not there.

As for the browser automatically going to other sites, that can be explained by malware.

Dragun619

You could try video recording the apartment when your gone or asleep?

I think that could help, but i dunno if I could watch that shit. Shit, would freak me out if I do see either a ghost, a person breaking in, or even me sleep walking.

At least its not eating out your girlfriend while you're sleeping right there. Maybe the ghost prefers a different brand of ketchup, was it Hunts or Heinz?

But seriously either someone is messing with you, you have a vermin problem, or someone broke into your place.

Knox

Your first response should've been to consider that an actual living person may be fucking with your apartment. We have evidence that people actually exist and have been known to interact with physical objects.

Correct. The most likely scenario is that someone else has access to your apartment, or some sleepwalking stuff is going on (I don't know much about sleepwalking). Ghosts do not exist and should not be the first thing you think of.

supergiz

I just took 2 more pictures and something deeply concerns me after people mentioning someone living in my room and me not knowing. There is a fireplace that has been closed off in my room. The door feels a little loose but I was afraid to take it off in case I could not get it back on.

The windows btw have bars on outside so no one could get in that way.

vFKtrvpl.jpg

akira28

At least its not eating out your girlfriend while you're sleeping right there. Maybe the ghost prefers a different brand of ketchup, was it Hunts or Heinz?

But seriously either someone is messing with you, you have a vermin problem, or someone broke into your place.

nah man. we live in a demon haunted world. computer problems, mystery ketchup stains, and strange smells are all the traditional signs of a Haunting. Occams razor, my dude.

That week old taco in the couch? Ghosts.

but for real, set up some $50 IP cameras and keep us posted.

jred2k

I thought my apartment was haunted too but then I figured out my dog jumped up and stole my fajita off the counter while I wasn't looking. I was pretty scared until I found saran wrap in her feces. Don't worry, OP, everything can be explained.

supergiz

Are your work hours long or consistent? Would a landlord know exactly when would be a good time to rent out your home through airbnb or make it his day getaway or whatever?

I am on good terms with my Landlord. He is not the kind of person that would ever do something like that. But yes, my work hours are consistent.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I just took 2 more pictures and something deeply concerns me after people mentioning someone living in my room and me not knowing. There is a fireplace that has been closed off in my room. The door feels a little loose but I was afraid to take it off in case I could not get it back on.

Weld it shut. Takes care of your unwanted roommate problem. Might exacerbate the smell problem down the road though.

supergiz

OP, don't jump to conclusions. There could actually be someone breaking into your house. Or you could be going insane.

Why would someone break into my house, not steal anything and splatter ketchup on the wall like that? And thanks for suggesting I'm going insane. For some reason that's the most terrifying thought out of all of this.

Arcia

Banned
Man, just reading this thread is creeping me out! Not for the ghost thing (they aren't real), but for the possibility that you may have an intruder in or with access to your place. If it were me, I would either be up all night with a bat nearby or get the fuck out and go sleep at a friends place.

sn00zer

There was a guy on reddit who was having something similar happen, turned out to be carbon monoxide poisoning and he was forgetting what he did. Get a sensor for your house.

what kind of piece of shit lazy ass troll ghost just smears condiments on the wall? not even a message

amateur ass ghosts these days

Damn, if this were me I'd be sleeping somewhere else tonight. I seriously doubt your place is haunted and I'm more scared of the fact that you could have someone breaking in and using your stuff.

Is that fireplace big? As somebody else mentioned I'd worry someone is living in one of the crevices of your house like that cupboard lady and it looks like somebody could squeeze through that opening.

pompidu

Why would someone break into my house, not steal anything and splatter ketchup on the wall like that? And thanks for suggesting I'm going insane. For some reason that's the most terrifying thought out of all of this.

To confirm someone is actually in your apt, close all the doors and on each door knob, put like a very thin line of sauce or something on each doorknob. Inspect the door knobs when you get home to see if they are smeared. You dont have to use sauce but just something that lets you know that someone has touched it.

I just took 2 more pictures and something deeply concerns me after people mentioning someone living in my room and me not knowing.

Did you not consider there was someone getting into your place until after people here mentioned it? You seriously thought there might be a ghost splattering ketchup on your walls? Like, that was the only obvious choice for you?

Your apartment smells like there is a dead rat in the wall because you live in a cheap Brooklyn apartment and there is a dead rat in the wall. Your landlord is a fucking asshole who enters apartments while the tenants are at work and eats food. The ketchup splattered the wall when he was shaking it without the lid on tight.

It is a ghost and it probably stands behind you in the shower.

cirrhosis

I remember reading a reddit thread way back where someone mentioned they noticed stuff went missing while they were gone for the day. They put up hidden cameras, which then caught someone coming down from their attic and eating their shit. Person freaked out understandably.

Replace all the locks in the apartment with new locks and keep the keys for yourself. Put up ghost detectors to film the ghosts; get famous.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Your apartment smells like there is a dead rat in the wall because you live in a cheap Brooklyn apartment and there is a dead rat in the wall. Your landlord is a fucking asshole who enters apartments while the tenants are at work and eats food. The ketchup splattered the wall when he was shaking it without the lid on tight.

It is a ghost and it probably stands behind you in the shower.

Who would break into an apartment, accidentally spray ketchup on the wall, and leave without cleaning it up?

DJMicLuv

After reading the OP and a careful examination of the photographic evidence I have come to the informed conclusion that yes, your house is haunted by ghosts. Who you gonna call?

I remember reading a reddit thread way back where someone mentioned they noticed stuff went missing while they were gone for the day. They put up hidden cameras, which then caught someone coming down from their attic and eating their shit. Person freaked out understandably.

Worked with a girl years ago whose parents were divorced. One day her mom discovered her dad had been living in her attic for something like 6 months. Pretty fucking freaky.

Who would break into an apartment, accidentally spray ketchup on the wall, and leave without cleaning it up?

Ghosts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom