• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think Wii U is Nintendo's best console since the SNES

People shouldn't judge a console by the absence of a couple of ips, but by their entirety of games. And i say that as someone who thinks that Nintendo really dropped the Ball with the wiiu. Wiiu got splatoon, bayonetta 2, donkey kong, Pikmin, #fe, fatal frame, wooly world, Kirby dream rainbow, star fox... there is a lot of stuff out there.

If we're going by the entirety of their libraries( and by that, the combined strength of first party+ third party). the Wii U clearly falls behind previous consoles. Touting certain titles that a system like Gamecube never had is a circular argument, because the u never got a F-Zero title, or Animal crossing, or Star Wars Rogue, or Eternal Darkness. We can go down that road all day. Break it down by genre, I'm not sure you could make a great argument for the Wii U's superiority in any facet asides from platformers. Fighters? Gamecube. RPGs? Gamecube. Sports titles? Gamecube. It got good/great support from the major parties, EA, Activision, Sega, Namco, Capcom. Like, it's really not even up for debate in that regard.

I'm definitely in the disagree camp on this one. Wii U has some great games but it's in my opinion the worst console I have ever used. While the quick menu helps, the UI of the system is slow and in many ways completely unintuitive which makes performing simplistic tasks annoying. Something as simple as setting up a new wifi connection becomes a chore that rivals the psn store on ps3 (but at least that can be circumvented). It's not good when compared to the ps3 (and the Xbox 360 from the short time I've played one) and it's laughable compared to the Xbox one and ps4.

KingJ2002

I disagree as well.

Although the Wii U has great titles... the system itself shows poor design choices and a lack of focus... unlike it's predecessor the Wii which focused on motion controls... the Wii U touchpad was under utilized due and did not provide good reason to have a more simple menu option on screen.

It remains to be seen what Nintendo will accomplish with the NX... but so far their best home console will remain the SNES

IMO the hierarchy goes:

SNES > Wii > NES > N64 > GameCube > Wii U > Virtual Boy

It's the Nintendo cycle. People call a console shit one day, then praise it the next. The N64 was the time where Nintendo lost it's big 3rd party support, stuck with cartridges, and had an awkward 3 handle controller, yet today it's looked at as some masterpiece (admittedly, it had some revolutionary games, and it was a system I grew up with). The GameCube suffered from a poor choice of launch color, Cartoon Zelda, no online or DVD playback (both of which were huge in the mid 2000s), and lackluster 3rd party support, now it's considered a cult classic. Even the Wii is getting less hate. People complained about shovelware, casual games, motion controls, and how Montessori pandering to the "hardcore gamer" (whatever that means). Now, people are taking notice ofthe great games it had, as well as warming up to motion controls. The Wii U will probably go through the same, but I imagine in a reverse situation, where people start to realize how much it got wrong.

giphy.gif

ViolentP

Metroid Prime series? 3 released on the Wii and 2 was the worst of the series by a decent margin. Dark worms constantly blocking doorways killed exploration, if they didn't exist it would have been a stronger title.

The first Prime was absolutely amazing though, as was F-Zero GX, no doubt.

Resident Evil 4 and REmake
Wind Waker
Eternal Darkness
Rogue Squadron
Viewtiful Joe

Just to name a few.

Athreous

GC was much better.. Wii U has almost no games and I hate that stupid controller...

like 10 games are good, the rest, pftt...

Luckly there's CEMU, so I can get rid of mine...

Why yes, I do accept that you have issues.

Why are you getting personal? I just said 3D World is no real 3D Mario for me and you should accept that. There is no reason to get personal and shows I'm not the one who has issues.

Also, I'm not the only one who has that opinion. 3D World is not what you should expect from a 3D Mario Game. It should be understandable why some people are disappointed.

120v

gotta hand it to the wii U, it went down swinging.

"ranking" consoles is subjective because people have different views on each individual library but the droughts were even worse than the last three consoles, it was way overpriced. hard to really place it up there in the hierarchy

Parfait

I've had more fun with a Wii U than with any other nintendy console, so I can agree to that. It's got a lot of really good games and that's what matters. It even has the better Xenoblade, can't argue with that!

- Gamepad's poor battery life. Better be near a power outlet if you want some serious time with a game!

I mean this alone knocks it out of the running for best since the SNES. It's an absolute abomination of hardware.

The Gamecube was arguably just as good, if not better.

- Poor 3rd party support. I mean, it's been a thing with Nintendo for years, but never as bad as on the Wii U. The devs left in droves. This is one area where the Wii U really comes up short vs. the SNES.
And this really just cements it for me. For all of the Wii's infamous shovelware filled library, there are some pretty excellent third party titles in there. Especially of great Japanese stuff that I've rather enjoyed playing.

So I'd also say that the Wii is also at the least just as good, if not better.

Acerac

Banned
Resident Evil 4 and REmake
Wind Waker
Eternal Darkness
Rogue Squadron
Viewtiful Joe

Just to name a few.

With a couple of exceptions, that's certainly a list of games that at one time were exclusive to the Gamecube. Given the choice though, I'd probably not be playing those versions.

I'm not saying it's a bad system, it had a bunch of fun games, just that the difference in attitude between the WiiU and the GC feels odd to me. They're both "failures" with a bunch of gems if you like Nintendo games.

Neff

People who actually, genuinely put Wii U on a higher pedestal than Wii probably didn't spend more than a few hours with the latter.

I own as many Wii games as Wii U games (25 discs apiece), and Wii was actually my only last-gen console for a while when my PS3 broke, so I played it a ton, but I still prefer what Wii U has to offer. That's not to discredit what Wii offers, though. It's a phenomenal machine and I actually think it's underrated.

Good grief some of you are like 17 and never owned an NES.

That's one of the most important and amazing systems of all time.

I'm 41 and I don't think the NES is all that great beyond nostalgia. There's a handful of games I love, sure (Mario, Zelda, Kirby, Batman etc) but overall it's not a console I still get excited about playing. I always preferred the Master System anyway.

Cloud7

If we're talking about a pure games library then I completely disagree. I had a lot of fun with my Wii U but from a console standpoint, I would absolutely take the N64, GC, and Wii over Wii U.

dcx4610

The Wii U is a perfectly fine system as long as you are using the Pro Controller. The games run well and the interface is fine. The GamePad kills it.

I still think the Gamecube was the last "good" Nintendo console since it was the last time they tried to compete for #1 and actually had powerful hardware.

SNES > N64 > NES > Wii > GameCube > Wii U

I'm not sure how anyone old enough to have experienced each of the consoles during their lifespan can consider the Wii U as anything above one of the worst Nintendo consoles of all times (Virtual Boy...).

Aside from Mario Maker, there were almost no groundbreaking, inventive, or spectacular experiences to be had. And most of the best games on Wii U have a version of the same game that is significantly better on another Nintendo platform (3D Mario, Mario Kart, Star Fox, Xenoblade, Smash, etc.)

I've bought almost every Nintendo platform in existence, and I couldn't be more disappointed with my Wii U purchase when I look at what other Nintendo consoles achieved.

The NES was one of the real kicking off points of gaming, and created almost all of the franchises that Nintendo fans love today.
The SNES library still remains the best we will likely ever see.
The N64 was completely revolutionary at the time. Mario 64 was a shock and awe moment for every gamer.
The Wii made console gaming approachable to everyone, and had a control method that took the world by storm.

I can see myself years from now replaying the best Wii U games without an issue.

Yes, I think it's one of the best Nintendo consoles. Sure, it doesn't have a lot of games, but the few it has are really, really good.

That + virtual console and GCN through homebrew makes it impossible for other Nintendo consoles to compare.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Why are you getting personal? I just said 3D World is no real 3D Mario for me and you should accept that. There is no reason to get personal and shows I'm not the one who has issues.

Also, I'm not the only one who has that opinion. 3D World is not what you should expect from a 3D Mario Game. It should be understandable why some people are disappointed.

So because in your opinion Super Mario 3D World isn't a "real 3D Mario" I should feel that way too?

That's not how opinions fly buddy.

(Hence my issues comment...you have issues accepting that others have differing opinions than you.)

ViolentP

With a couple of exceptions, that's certainly a list of games that at one time were exclusive to the Gamecube. Given the choice though, I'd probably not be playing those versions.

I'm not saying it's a bad system, it had a bunch of fun games, just that the difference in attitude between the WiiU and the GC feels odd to me. They're both "failures" with a bunch of gems if you like Nintendo games.

I agree that there are now superior versions of a few of these, but they were originally released on the Gamecube and if you were a Gamecube owner, these I think did a great job of justifying the device so I certainly think they are valid examples in this discussion.

Regarding failure, it's funny. I look back at my time with the Gamecube and the only idea of failure came from the outside from those discussing facts. I was just having fun playing.

The Wii U however, I have probably had a total of 10 minutes of fun with the thing.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
The Wii U is a perfectly fine system as long as you are using the Pro Controller. The games run well and the interface is fine. The GamePad kills it.

I still think the Gamecube was the last "good" Nintendo console since it was the last time they tried to compete for #1 and actually had powerful hardware.

(Guess who was #1 last generation.)

So because in your opinion Super Mario 3D World isn't a "real 3D Mario" I should feel that way too?

That's not how opinions fly buddy.

(Hence my issues comment...you have issues accepting that others have differing opinions than you.)

No, I wrote the "accept it" comment for people to accept my opinion its not a real 3D Mario. Its not meant that everyone should have the same opinion as me.

Parfait

I'm not sure how anyone old enough to have experienced each of the consoles during their lifespan can consider the Wii U as anything above one of the worst Nintendo consoles of all times (Virtual Boy...).

Aside from Mario Maker, there were almost no groundbreaking, inventive, or spectacular experiences to be had. And most of the best games on Wii U have a version of the same game that is significantly better on another Nintendo platform (3D Mario, Mario Kart, Star Fox, Xenoblade, Smash, etc.)

I've bought almost every Nintendo platform in existence, and I couldn't be more disappointed with my Wii U purchase.

The NES was one of the real kicking off points of gaming, and created almost all of the franchises that Nintendo fans love today.
The N64 was completely revolutionary at the time. Mario 64 was a shock and awe moment for every gamer.
The Wii made console gaming approachable to everyone, and had a control method that took the world by storm.

What does any of those points have to do with the Wii U being good or not

At the end of the day, the Wii U has an excellent, if subjective, library of games. They're fun.

When I look back at the older consoles, I don't think about how 'they revolutionized this and that', because that doesn't contribute to how much fun I had with the console. SNES had some great games. Wii U has some great games. I played a huge amount of Mario 64 as a kid, just as I play a lot of Monsterr Hunter 3 Ultimate now.

I don't regret buying a Wii U, where I have some regrets over buying a N64.

Pinky

Banned

I've bought almost every Nintendo platform in existence, and I couldn't be more disappointed with my Wii U purchase when I look at what other Nintendo consoles achieved.

I turn 38 in less than 2 weeks and I rank Wii U at #3. I've owned every Nintendo console(except VB). Just accept that people have different tastes and different pleasures. It really is that simple. :)

What does any of those points have to do with the Wii U being good or not

The question was not whether the Wii U is good or bad, the question was whether or not the Wii U is one of Nintendo's best consoles. I answered the question. What the console achieves is absolutely a huge part of whether or not a console should be considered "one of the best".

Obviously some of this is super subjective, at least in terms of which games people enjoyed more or spent more time on. In my case, I can honestly say, I can point to ONE game from each of the previous Nintendo consoles, and easily say I had more fun with this game than the entire Wii U library combined. But I think the notion of "best" goes beyond simply just which library you happen to like better.

Kid Ying

If we're going by the entirety of their libraries( and by that, the combined strength of first party+ third party). the Wii U clearly falls behind previous consoles. Touting certain titles that a system like Gamecube never had is a circular argument, because the Wii never got a FX title, or Animal crossing, or Star Wars Rogue, or Eternal Darkness. We can go down that road all day. Break it down by genre, I'm not sure you could make a great argument for the Wii U's superiority in any facet asides from platformers. Fighters? Gamecube. RPGs? Gamecube. Sports titles? Gamecube. It got good/great support from the major parties, EA, Activision, Sega, Namco, Capcom. Like, it's really not even up for debate in that regard.
I went to see the list of fighters and rpgs on gamecube (i don't play sports games, so i don't care for it) after your post. Although the list of fighting games on gamecube is much bigger than on wiiu, most of it are licensed games and budget stuff. Still, i think the GC got an edge on that, but both of the consoles got horrible support on that genre.

On rpgs, i don't think so. There is a bigger quantity, but it's not as big and Wiiu got better games on the genre. Dragon Quest X and #Fe alone trump all of the GC's rpgs, but there is also stuff like Child Of Light, Alphadia Genesis, Pier Solar, which are good games on par with the good rpgs on the Cube, like Skies or arcadia and Tales.

Fladam

I love my Wii U. It pains me to see it die this awkward, slow death.

Pretty much this. I was an early adopter, huge advocate, and heavy user.. it's heartbreaking that some of the best Nintendo projects haven't been seen by so many.

WiiU is, unfortunatley, one of the worst Nintendo consoles.

Speevy

Banned
I'm 41 and I don't think the NES is all that great beyond nostalgia. There's a handful of games I love, sure (Mario, Zelda, Kirby, Batman etc) but overall it's not a console I still get excited about playing. I always preferred the Master System anyway.

A Boy and His Blob: Trouble on Blobolonia
Adventure Island II
Adventures of Lolo 3
Astyanax
Baseball Stars
Batman: The Video Game
Battletoads
Battletoads & Double Dragon: The Ultimate Team
Bionic Commando
Blades of Steel
Blaster Master
Bubble Bobble
Castlevania
Castlevania II: Simon's Quest
Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse
Chip 'N Dale: Rescue Rangers
Cobra Triangle
Contra
Crystalis
Demon Sword
Donkey Kong Classics
Double Dragon II: The Revenge
Double Dragon III: The Sacred Stones
Dr. Mario
Dragon Warrior
Dragon Warrior III
Dragon Warrior IV
Duck Hunt
Duck Tales
Excitebike
Faxanadu
Fester's Quest
Final Fantasy
Gargoyle's Quest II: The Demon Darkness
Ghosts 'N Goblins
Gradius
Ice Climber
Ice Hockey
Ikari Warriors
IronSword: Wizards & Warriors II
Jackal
Journey to Silius
Kickle Cubicle
Kid Icarus
Kid Niki: Radical Ninja
Kirby's Adventure
Klax
Kung Fu
Legendary Wings
Life Force
Little Nemo: The Dream Master
Little Samson
Lode Runner
Maniac Mansion
Marble Madness
Mario Bros.
Mega Man
Mega Man 2
Mega Man 3
Mega Man 4
Mega Man 5
Mega Man 6
Metal Gear
Metal Storm
Metroid
Mickey Mousecapade
Micro Machines
Ms. Pac Man
Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!
Ninja Gaiden
Ninja Gaiden II: The Dark Sword of Chaos
Power Blade
Q-Bert
Qix
R.C. Pro-Am
Rad Racer
Ring King
River City Ransom
Rush'n Attack
Rygar
Section Z
Shadowgate
Skate or Die 2: The Search for Double Trouble
Snake Rattle 'n' Roll
Spy Hunter
StarTropics
Stinger
Strider
Super C
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 2
Super Mario Bros. 3
Tecmo Super Bowl
Tecmo World Wrestling
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade Game
Tetris (Tengen)
The Goonies II
The Guardian Legend
The Legend of Zelda
Vice: Project Doom
Willow
Wizards & Warriors
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
Zombie Nation

I mean I know a giant list of games isn't exactly going to change your mind, but holy shit the NES had a lot of classic games.

sublimit

Banned
The only Nintendo consoles i ever owned are these:

Gamecube,Wii and WiiU

Out of those my favourite is still the Wii (for its software library variety with niche,quirky games like Fragile dreams or Lost in Shadow) even though i generally hated motion controls.
WiiU comes second.

Parfait

The question was not whether the Wii U is good or bad, the question was whether or not the Wii U is one of Nintendo's best consoles. I answered the question. What the console achieves is absolutely a huge part of whether or not a console should be considered "one of the best".

Obviously some of this is super subjective, at least in terms of which games people enjoyed more or spent more time on. In my case, I can honestly say, I can point to ONE game from each of the previous Nintendo consoles, and easily say I had more fun with this game than the entire Wii U library combined. But I think the notion of "best" goes beyond simply just which library you happen to like better.

Ah, I see, my bad. I just personally don't think a console's sales, or impact in a revolutionary scale really contributes to a console being best or not. To me, it's just always going to be if it has fun, great games, since that's the metric to me buying a console in the first place.

Wii U has a library of fantastic defintive entry Nintendo games I love and can see myself returning to for years, plus some great surprise titles that elevates it to a must-have if you even have a remote interest in incredibly well made games.

It's ultimately always going to boil down to the gamepad which remains hugely divisive and only really well implemented in a small percentage of software, Mario Maker probably the greatest use.

The digital purchasing system is also poorly implemented and far below what should now be the standard for modern consoles.

Wii U's software easily eclipses the Wii output for me, even with Galaxy 1 and 2, but the GameCube and even the N64 had far more variety to offer during their respective lifespans - thanks in part to (waning but present and often quality) support from a variety of developers.

peace

Neo Member
You sound like a Nintendo fan above all else. The N64 is my favourite. Goldeneye and Perfect Dark were my favourite games, along with the THQ wrestling games. I still thought Mario and the 2 Zelda games were vastly superior to everything on the PS1.

peace

Neo Member
In fact I thought the Playstation games that were getting 8-10 in Edge magazine were more like arcade games in terms of depth and value for money. Ridge Racer was shit to play on PS1.

I went to see the list of fighters and rpgs on gamecube (i don't play sports games, so i don't care for it) after your post. Although the list of fighting games on gamecube is much bigger than on wiiu, most of it are licensed games and budget stuff. Still, i think the GC got an edge on that, but both of the consoles got horrible support on that genre.

On rpgs, i don't think so. There is a bigger quantity, but it's not as big and Wiiu got better games on the genre. Dragon Quest X and #Fe alone trump all of the GC's rpgs, but there is also stuff like Child Of Light, Alphadia Genesis, Pier Solar, which are good games on par with the good rpgs on the Cube, like Skies or arcadia and Tales.

Your personal tastes in genre( not liking sports) or the type of fighting games( licensed, 'budget stuff') doesn't dismiss the point that both traditional and extreme sports games and fighting games had a much greater presence on the GC.

I"m not getting in the whole 'better' thing with the RPGs, purely subjective. I personally don't see the quality across the board as less and if the GC exceeds the U in sheer volume, I don't see how you check the box on the Wii U side.

And, to expand the argument, overall third party support is massively in favor of Gamecube. That point cannot be trivialized if we're objectively weighing their respective libraries.

Aldric

I went to see the list of fighters and rpgs on gamecube (i don't play sports games, so i don't care for it) after your post. Although the list of fighting games on gamecube is much bigger than on wiiu, most of it are licensed games and budget stuff. Still, i think the GC got an edge on that, but both of the consoles got horrible support on that genre. .

GC had Soul Calibur 2 and Capcom vs SNK 2 which are classics of the genre. Wii U had... nothing?

Sakujou

Banned
gc>ds>wii>snes>n64>gba>nes

i was 4 when snes was released in germany, but i played nes until i got 8. i only had 3 games, so i learned about the nes library years later.

gc,ds and wii were monsters for me. i never had so many amazing games in all those years than on those systems.

best time ever.

i still have a ton of backlogged games.

wii u is not over, so i cant decide. but the games on wii u were... well there are no thirdparty games. that was my problem. sort of.

If we're going by the entirety of their libraries( and by that, the combined strength of first party+ third party). the Wii U clearly falls behind previous consoles. Touting certain titles that a system like Gamecube never had is a circular argument, because the Wii never got a FX title, or Animal crossing, or Star Wars Rogue, or Eternal Darkness. We can go down that road all day. Break it down by genre, I'm not sure you could make a great argument for the Wii U's superiority in any facet asides from platformers. Fighters? Gamecube. RPGs? Gamecube. Sports titles? Gamecube. It got good/great support from the major parties, EA, Activision, Sega, Namco, Capcom. Like, it's really not even up for debate in that regard.

Not only this, but the Wii U's best titles are often gimped compared to previous installments (consider Mario Kart 8's lack of a proper battle mode, and Smash 4's joke of an adventure mode).

If you factor in portables, the N/3DS has everything the Wii U does bar Splatoon and SMM, and are no less fun on the small screen.

Mael

When I think of which console I like I usually look at the breath of games I can play on it.
Wii was the unquestionable king because outside of some games I had access to pretty much the majority of NES/SNES/N64/GC library on top of Wii's library.
the only thing missing on WiiU is GC, so for me the question is do I like WiiU's library better than GC's.
I mean since WiiU is really Wii with the WiiU part on top (and with parts of DS/GBA library accessible as well).
I'd say WiiU wins this one quite easily because outside of the Prime games there's nothing my WiiU is missing that much from GC's and there's Mario Maker which is better than anything GC can throw at me so yeah.
For me this topic is consistent with my take on it.

Kid Ying

Your personal tastes in genre( not liking sports) or the type of fighting games( licensed, 'budget stuff') doesn't dismiss the point that both traditional and extreme sports games and fighting games had a much greater presence on the GC.

I"m not getting in the whole 'better' thing with the RPGs, purely subjective. I personally don't see the quality across the board as less and if the GC exceeds the U in sheer volume, I don't see how you check the box on the Wii U side.

And, to expand the argument, overall third party support is massively in favor of Gamecube. That point cannot be trivialized if we're objectively weighing their respective libraries.
?

Of course it's subjective. I stated my opinion at first when i said the wiiu was better than the Gc. It's not math. It's an opinion. Number of games doesn't make of break anything. Wiiu got more games than the GC and the N64 overall, but the N64 was a muuuuch better console. GC wasn't. The GC was much better in the sports genre, but is a genre i don't play, so that doesn't matter when i form an opinion. I play RPGs though and the wiiu got some of the best RPGs in years, where the GameCube got a tales game and some Dreamcast ports. Also, Baten kaitos 2 was good.

GC had Soul Calibur 2 and Capcom vs SNK 2 which are classics of the genre. Wii U had... nothing?
They are the reason why i put Gc fighters above the wiiu. Although i think soul calibur 2 wasn't that great, CvS2 is awesome. Tekken tag 2 on wiiu is lots of fun and i even liked injustice to a certain degree, but CvS2 is really something else.

I know, but it's a reality that a lot of people will buy a game only because it has a "Mario character" on it.

I was just trying to say that there are people out there that got Nintendo consoles but not for the "mario" games but for (don't say mature, don't say mature) other games. Like RE4, Eternal Darkness and the ones I posted before.

Yeah, I can enjoy a good mario game (Platformers, Karts, Smash) but games like the ones I said are the console sellers for me. I understand WiiU has A LOT of typical nintendo games and Hardcore Nintendo fans will love it...but what about the rest?

Also...I'm not english and maybe I'm expressing it wrong as f*ck :_

Oh no I get exactly what you mean (was being sorta snarky, sorry), though maybe you meant to use Pokemon instead of Pikmin originally.
The more shall we say bleaker toned games have unfortunately been appearing less and less on Nintendo consoles over the years as the market has shifted elsewhere, that's just the way it is I guess.

- Several of their series received their best installments yet on the Wii U; 3D World, Mario Kart 8, Pikmin 3, Smash 4, Yoshi's Woolly World, Tropical Freeze, New Super Mario Bros U/New Super Luigi U. I'm betting Paper Mario: Color Splash will follow this trend, can't wait.

this is very very very "your opinion"
but i really do prefer gamecube

Top Bottom