• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I tried Candy Corn soda last night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Civil

If you haven't tried Jones Soda before, you really owe it to yourself to try it. It's made of pure cane sugar, unlike 99% of other drink beverages sold in the US, which rely on corn syrup. The cane sugar makes an absolute difference - it's just a better sweet. Those that have tried Coke in Mexico can attest that it's a better flavor.

Jones Soda is also famous for introducing strange beverage flavors. They made a bit of noise several years back when they introduced their Thanksgiving beverage pack, with drinks having the flavor of turkey and gravy, mashed potatoes and butter, and green bean casserole.

They also have a halloween line of drinks. They've been doing it for a couple years now, but I'd never tried it before. I noticed a flat of these at Sam's Club last night, 24 cute little 8 oz cans for like $7, and I coudn't resist. It had 4 different flavors in the flat I got - Candy Corn, Lemon Drop Dead, Strawberry Slime, and Gruesome Grape.

My girlfriend thought I was strange for buying this crap, but was game to try it with me. We first opened a can of the Lemon soda, which was astoundingly good. Very sour, very lemony. But that's been done before, I really wanted to know what the candy corn tasted like. I popped the can and was greeted by the exact smell of candy corn. It was kind of concerning. Then I tried it. It was horrible. It tasted like candy corn, only sweeter, with a stong maple flavor behind it. On top of that, they kept the carbonation really low in this drink, maybe to enhance the sweet flavor (carbonic acid gives soda a tart flavor, which is why flat soda tastes sweeter). Because I hate myself, I finished the can.

I haven't tried the other two flavors yet, mainly because I already knew it was a bad idea to be drinking sugary soda right before bed. But I can assure you that the remaining cans of that candy corn shit will go straight into the bags of trick or treaters that come calling next week. I don't expect any surprises out of strawberry or grape. However with a little internet research, I found out that they also have a black licorice flavor halloween soda out there. That sounds worth checking out - how many of you have wished that Jagermeister came in a soda?

Enron

Banned
As far as Cane Sugar sodas go, Red Rock > Jones. I hate all of the Jones' that i've tried save for their root beer and cream soda. Boylan's has a good Cherry cola. Jones is the most expensive of the well-known cane sugar sodas around here, and is also the worst.

GreekWolf

Goreomedy said:
thank ye!

First one's on me
jones.jpg

Ferrio

Banned
Lewis Black said:
The worst thing about Halloween is, of course, candy corn. It's unbelievable to me. Candy corn is the only candy in the history of America that's never been advertised. And there's a reason. All of the candy corn that was ever made was made in 1911. And so, since nobody eats that stuff, every year there's a ton of it left over. And the candy corn company sends the guys to the villages and they collect out of the dumpsters all the candy corn we've thrown away. They wash it!! They wash it!

I'll never forget the first time my mother gave me candy corn. She said, "Here - Lewis, this is candy corn. It's corn that tastes like candy". [high pitched sound] This tastes like crap! And every year since then, Halloween has returned and I, like an Alzhiemer's patient, find myself in the room, and the room has a big table in it, and on the table is a bowl of candy corn. And I look at it as if I've never seen it before. "Candy corn", I think. "Corn that tastes like candy. I can't wait". Son of a bitch!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSRaUN73Rqw

Civil

monkspider said:
The candy corn soda is heavenly. One of my favorite sodas out there (and I say this as a true soda connoisseur).
I have 7 more cans of this shit and it's all going to the first trick-or-treater that comes to my house. I'm glad someone appreciates it.

maynerd

Banned
Jones soda makes crazy flavors. They have a seahawks pack that has flavors like sweat and dirt. Apparently they are flat out gross. They also had a thanksgiving pack that has things like mash potatoes and string bean cassorle.

BTW at some costcos you can buy Mexican coke. AWESOME!

joshschw

ha! I tried this Candy Corn pop last year and my god it was horrible. it'll also make your entire mouth yellow or orange or whatever color it is. :lol

nasty nasty stuff.

Karmacide

Dude, Candy corn is nasty. So of course the soda is nasty.

Candy corn is the stuff left over in the bag every Halloween after the kids ate all the other candy.

mCACGj

Yeah, I tried this stuff last year along with their Apple Cider soda. Both were pretty bad, and I love Apple Cider.

Grifter

I still have a pack of last year holiday pie pack. Fruity sodas with a hint of graham crust...

Lemon drop dead sounds incredible.

Chipopo

Banned
I fuckin' love candy corn more than most candy. Lewis Black does better when he's talking about international pancake eateries.

birdman

Jones' cream soda is the greatest cream soda I've ever had in my life. I would trust Jones till the day I die with any of their other drinks. Cane sugar = win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom