• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Idle thumbs IS BACK (Kickstarter ended) -- Funded in 3 hours

dionysus

Yaldog
How soon would they be shipping this stuff? Has anyone said? I'm going to plop down some money for this but I am moving in a few months and I doubt their customer service (heh) is up to handling address changes.

Though if Fuck Jake is my customer service rep it would be totally worth it to harass him.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I think its the kind of thing that if you put enough work into the pitch to the point where you GET all the money, then surely there is even MORE money to be made by actually following through with it.

Thumbs cast, you guys were with me during some very difficult moments when I was in college and almost dropped out. Coming home and listening to you guys talk about video games was probably what got me through some really dark days.

You have $200. Good luck and thanks for all the Puffins, Wizards, and Jeff Jeff Goldblums.

sixghost

How soon would they be shipping this stuff? Has anyone said? I'm going to plop down some money for this but I am moving in a few months and I doubt their customer service (heh) is up to handling address changes.

Though if Fuck Jake is my customer service rep it would be totally worth it to harass him.

Look on the right side of the KS page, under each tier there is an estimated delivery date.

Looks like May-July for most.

Thumbs cast, you guys were with me during some very difficult moments when I was in college and almost dropped out. Coming home and listening to you guys talk about video games was probably what got me through some really dark days.

You have $200. Good luck and thanks for all the Puffins, Wizards, and Jeff Jeff Goldblums.

Props.

Jake

I kinda wonder what their plan was 2 weeks ago. Remo left Irrational before the whole Double Fine Thing and I doubt this was on the radar before that whole spectacle. Anyway, looking forward to seeing what happens here. Remo and company might be eating dinner every other day for 3 months. :)

We've been working on the Thumbs Kickstarter campaign for a couple months, actually. Lining up all the art (not to mention the game with Blendo!), re-working the site, and everything else has been a big-ass stress-inducing project for a while now. It's why we've been weird teases about stuff for the last couple months -- we couldn't help a little excitement leaking out.

The Double Fine Kickstarter was a crazy thing which came out of nowhere into the middle of our plans. (We'd actually been looking at the Venus Patrol Kickstarter as a model for the Thumbs campaign.) We were freaked out at first that it would screw things up, but what actually ended up happening (as we found by writing a few people from GAF and other Thumbs-aware forums) is that Double Fine introduced a ton of people to Kickstarter. They brought tens of thousands of new game-liking folk to that site. The Double Fine rising tide wasn't something we were expecting or counting on, but I'm sure it helped.

Side note: I'm sure at some point someone will abuse the hell out of Kickstarter or people will get fatigued, but I hope it's not for a while. I've been using KS for a couple years to fund things I like, and 9/10 times I've been beyond happy with the results.

Thread title needs a change already.
This way more people click on it :p, if it says funded 100% than no one new comes to the thread again :(.

Also Chris I know your reading the comments got any love to answer my question?
Also maybe I looked over this but when are you thinking of actually coming back?
Maybe start before the thing is over/at the end?

Because GDC is the 5-9th and all the people you want to talk to are in town at that moment.
So I think you will need to think about at least have a few guest/interviews recored the "old way" (with in my book was just fine).
Because next time that happens is a year from now.

sixghost

Thanks, I missed that. Looks like I might have to hope for the best.

If the problem is just changing addresses around the time the stuff ships, It probably wouldn't be a problem. It's not like this stuff is going to be sent out from a giant warehouse or something.

Holy shit. $30k for a podcast and website seems kind of batshit insane and it's going to hit it in a matter of hours. Kickstarter is crazy.

I kinda wonder what their plan was 2 weeks ago. Remo left Irrational before the whole Double Fine Thing and I doubt this was on the radar before that whole spectacle. Anyway, looking forward to seeing what happens here. Remo and company might be eating dinner every other day for 3 months. :)

edit: fuck, they made $2000 in the time it took me to type six sentences. celebration song time! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrRR3H7CLOQ

We've been planning this since before I came back to San Francisco. The Double Fine KS was totally unrelated, although we were super stoked that they did so well!

Says right on the Kickstarter page (down the right side) when things will be going out.

re: the video game reward

Hi there, just a quick reminder that this item DOES NOT include a game disk or game cartridge. Please read the description of this item for complete details on what is included with this item. A game disc or game cartridge is not included with this item.
LET THE GAMES BEGIN... B.R.E. SOFTWARE

We've been planning this since before I came back to San Francisco. The Double Fine KS was totally unrelated, although we were super stoked that they did so well!

I don't know who posted that graph of the Double Fine "Kickstarter Effect" on some other videogame related project, but I'm sure it helped you guys a bit too.

Though most of the backings come from loyal readers I'm guessing. Kinda interested were most people heard of it first. Twitter, GAF, Idle Forums or someplace else....

Hi there, just a quick reminder that this item DOES NOT include a game disk or game cartridge. Please read the description of this item for complete details on what is included with this item. A game disc or game cartridge is not included with this item.

This should have been a pledge reward :D

We've been working on the Thumbs Kickstarter campaign for a couple months, actually. Lining up all the art (not to mention the game with Blendo!), re-working the site, and everything else has been a big-ass stress-inducing project for a while now. It's why we've been weird teases about stuff for the last couple months -- we couldn't help a little excitement leaking out.

The Double Fine Kickstarter was a crazy thing which came out of nowhere into the middle of our plans. (We'd actually been looking at the Venus Patrol Kickstarter as a model for the Thumbs campaign.) We were freaked out at first that it would screw things up, but what actually ended up happening (as we found by writing a few people from GAF and other Thumbs-aware forums) is that Double Fine introduced a ton of people to Kickstarter. They brought tens of thousands of new game-liking folk to that site. The Double Fine rising tide wasn't something we were expecting or counting on, but I'm sure it helped.

Side note: I'm sure at some point someone will abuse the hell out of Kickstarter or people will get fatigued, but I hope it's not for a while. I've been using KS for a couple years to fund things I like, and 9/10 times I've been beyond happy with the results.

Oh, cool - I had assumed that you guys had well-laid plans that you blew up and went in another direction when the DF thing exploded last week. Guess I was wrong!

DaBuddaDa

I love your tweet earlier Chris: "Welp, here goes a month of stress and pleading."

More like 2 hours of overwhelming love followed by masturbatory elation.

THIS. We really need a good Kickstarter thread for awesome projects. Every time I check out the site I find something cool to support.

This May one of my favorite bands is making me dinner in their home and playing a private show for my girlfriend and I. This is what I love about Kickstarter: it removes the barriers between creators and audience.

sixghost

that's about as obscure an idle thumbs reference as you'll get.

Matll

Super hyped for this. Idle thumbs is my favourite podcast of all time. They should have asked 100k because now they got to the target so easily.

S0N0S

Now that this is a sure thing, I would like to see some sort of subscription/premium member option. I'm prepared to throw in another ~$10/month to keep this going for as long as you guys are willing because video games.

Futureman

Yes, they can. I would say one of the most important things is the video and the pitch.

Dice Hate Me is a small husband and wife team in NC that have funded two board games, even though they were relatively unknown entities.

The quality of their videos certainly helped.

Make sure your video shows the products, clearly explains what you will do with the money, and shows the charm and character of your project.

hmm interesting. Looks like setting a lower funding goal, like $5k is the better idea, and then if you can get the word out enough during your funding period... then you can get around $20-30k.

I'm going to look into smaller, unknown projects that got funded and maybe even try to contact a few. That and work on my cartoon :)

Anno

Now that this is a sure thing, I would like to see some sort of subscription/premium member option. I'm prepared to throw in another ~$10/month to keep this going for as long as you guys are willing because video games.

Same here. I think Jake mentioned it in passing earlier actually. Whatever keeps the pods blasting as fast and as well as possible.

no angel

Ive pledged. I don't even want a reward or whatever they call them, I'm happy knowing that I've contributed (if only a little) to getting the thumbs back to everyone.

I had no idea I could miss a group of people I've never met!

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
One reason why I'll never kickstart anything is the lack of cash flow statements for 'investors'. Especially with lines like Doublefine's "we'll put extra funds on voice work and talent", I simply don't have enough trust in how it'll be managed. No offense to the Idle Thumbs crew, I trust you all implicitly.

Akia

I love how this podcast was a reaction to GFW Radio dying. I think Chris mentioned it in the first episode or something.

One reason why I'll never kickstart anything is the lack of cash flow statements, for 'investors'. Especially with lines like Doublefine's "we'll put extra funds on voice work and talent", I simply don't have enough trust in how it'll be managed. No offense to the Idle Thumbs crew.

Side note: the postcard thing you are going to send to everyone is very well thought out and especially considerate.

One reason why I'll never kickstart anything is the lack of cash flow statements for 'investors'. Especially with lines like Doublefine's "we'll put extra funds on voice work and talent", I simply don't have enough trust in how it'll be managed. No offense to the Idle Thumbs crew, I trust you all implicitly.

Contributors are funding not investing. There's a difference.

dionysus

Yaldog

Kickstarter isn't an investment vehicle though.

One of the reasons I didn't invest in CARS is because of the lack of information and how it seemed like any "investors" had absolutely no rights. No payout formula, no project cost estimate, etc. But CARS was selling itself as an investment; this isn't. Neither is Doublefine's kickstarter campaign. It boils down to any cash generated will be used for the project, thanks fans. If you are not a big enough fan to give away free money on trust, you aren't the intended audience.

dLMN8R

Jesus christ this is so fucking awesome. Thumbs!

To everyone saying "this trend is stupid", yeah, I hate this trend of established guys enabling fans to support them in new endeavors! Screw that!

Top Bottom