• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Idle thumbs IS BACK (Kickstarter ended) -- Funded in 3 hours

Blackface

Banned
They need $30,000 for a podcast? Come on...

Psh. Libsyn's most expensive plan is $75/month....and that's for uploading 1.5 gb of audio a month. I doubt they'll even be doing that much podcasting.

I was a bit skeptical, but after you read, the money is not just for a podcast.

You could put together a podcast of higher quality then Giant Bombs for about $1000. That includes microphones, XLR cables, mixer, compressor software etc.. No, they won't be Heil PR-40's or anything, but a few Shure SM58's with the correct compressor settings can still sound fantastic.

That said. Idelthumbs seems to be doing more then just a podcast. The money seems to be going to merchandise, hosting, creating a new website, and various things of that nature. Possibly even some custom programming, as well as custom art. Those types of things add up.

Which brings me on to the other comment made in this thread. I like the bombcast, and I like Idlethumbs. I have listened to Giantbomb way more, and it's far from the end all be all podcast.

Many of them are clueless when it comes to many genre's of games. Listening to them talk about things like MMO's and e-sports outside of RTS makes my head hurt. Hearing them neglect the PC, and smaller studios making huge games to push their specific sites agenda, (IE lets talk about our feature), doesn't help much either. I also don't like how segmented everything is, and how canned the humor can be.

I am not trying to bash Giantbomb. Obviously they will push their own sites content, and no, they can't be expected to be an expert in every genre across all platforms. They stick to their style, and have been successful with it, good for them.

The guys at Idlethumbs do something different. Their podcast seems much more like a bunch of guys sitting around, talking, busting balls, and exploring the gaming genre. Although they have segments, it's not as rigid as Giantbomb, they don't care about deviating from the subject to much and are not as careful with what they say.

In the radio business, when all you do is segment, segment, segment show over. It's considered hack. When the flow of the show never changes, it's hack. When you have guests on and interview them instead of talk to them, you are looked at like a fool. When you censor yourself or push a specific agenda, you are not respected. These are all the reasons why radio personalities are running away from terrestrial radio, and jumping on the podcast or satellite bandwagon.

Some shows model themselves after good radio, some model themselves after hacky terrestrial radio. One is the Hendrix of the genre, the other is the Britney Spears. Idle thumbs seems to model themselves after Hendrix, after good edgy radio. Which is why I respect them. Giantbomb is more like a hacky morning drive show.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I guess the quotation marked investors is just clouding the intended message that I'd personally need more transparency in how the money is used on the project until its completion, especially when it is funded over the planned budget costs. Which is in the millions for Doublefine.

Odrion

Banned
A FUCKING SEQUEL TO GRAVITY BONE?!

HOLY SHIT. I LOVE YOU THUMBS.

edit: also the gamespy debriefings did a kickstarter for their comedy button. I do not mind paying money for podcasts, or funding ones to be started.

after what happened with the fired 1up/EGM people and there donations I dont think I will trust game industry people with large sums of money ever again.

At least they have decent rewards for people so its not like they are just getting money for nothing.

Good luck guys. Cant wait for more thumbs.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I guess the quotation marked investors is just clouding the intended message that I'd personally need more transparency in how the money is used on the project until its completion, especially when it is funded over the planned budget costs. Which is in the millions for Doublefine.

You can always donate money to them after they've released some new content, or buy some merchandise or something, if you want to contribute but aren't comfortable paying for an indefinite product.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
after what happened with the fired 1up/EGM people and there donations I dont think I will trust game industry people with large sums of money ever again.

At least they have decent rewards for people so its not like they are just getting money for nothing.

Good luck guys. Cant wait for more thumbs.

Wait, what? We got co-op and rebelfm out of that. Plus, wasn't that only like 10 grand? I always thought everyone considered that to be a great success.

LCfiner

How does delivery work? I'm moving in a while so I want it delivered to my buddy's house instead of my billing account. How do I do this?

when the project is about to be funded on March 21, you will get an email notice asking you to fill in your shipping details.

This just happened for me with that elevation dock project

when the project is about to be funded on March 21, you will get an email notice asking you to fill in your shipping details.

This just happened for me with that elevation dock project

That's grand then. I was afraid some random people were going to get a vinyl filled with space asshole.

Arucardo

Awesome news! Can't wait to chip in my 60 usd next month, well worth the entertainment I've gotten from the podcasts already.

Wait, what? We got co-op and rebelfm out of that. Plus, wasn't that only like 10 grand? I always thought everyone considered that to be a great success.

I guess it was for some. not for others.

At the time I remember some people questioning what the money was being spent on and not getting any answers.

After the initial start up it seemed to me like they just wasted a lot of that money on random crap.

Like I said... Thumbs thing seems good. you spend money and you get stuff. Thats good. Thats how these things should work.

Looking at it now... I kind of want some of the stuff made by the Puzzle Agent guy... hmmm. will think about it.

dionysus

Yaldog

It is a valid concern, and I do think the system will be massively abused and kickstarter will shut down. These online microfinance initiatives don't have a good track record. Those microfinance websites were giving everyone AAA credit ratings and had no collections department, it was abused in no time flat.

I think the thumbs track record is pretty good though. They did produce this stuff for free for years, they aren't coming out of nowhere. Nor are the promising grand things beyond what they have already proven they can do in the past.

But yea, kickstarter is buyer beware and can't be stressed enough. I personally would never give any money to anyone without a long track record of delivering similar projects.

TheCrow

Just pledged $50. Not much but it counts for more since I'm a starving college student. The previous Idle Thumbs podcasts alone are worth $50 so it wasn't a hard decision to donate.

Just pledged $50. Not much but it counts for more since I'm a starving college student. The previous Idle Thumbs podcasts alone are worth $50 so it wasn't a hard decision to donate.

This somehow indeed feels like you're paying off a debt to all the old episodes I enjoyed multiple times already. And we're getting even more!

sixghost

It is a valid concern, and I do think the system will be massively abused and kickstarter will shut down. These online microfinance initiatives don't have a good track record. Those microfinance websites were giving everyone AAA credit ratings and had no collections department, it was abused in no time flat.

I think the thumbs track record is pretty good though. They did produce this stuff for free for years, they aren't coming out of nowhere. Nor are the promising grand things beyond what they have already proven they can do in the past.

But yea, kickstarter is buyer beware and can't be stressed enough. I personally would never give any money to anyone without a long track record of delivering similar projects.

Individual sites might shut down, but the idea probably isn't going anywhere soon. After the very worst, there would be some stricter regulations passed on these kinds of ventures, and newer sites would pop up that follow those new rules.
Sounds very TF2 inspired.

webrunner

The guys at Idlethumbs do something different. Their podcast seems much more like a bunch of guys sitting around, talking, busting ballsbargos, and exploring the gaming genre. Although they have segments, it's not as rigid as Giantbomb, they don't care about deviating from the subject to much and are not as careful with what they say.

Fixed that, for you.

renitou

Great. Now everyone's going to do a fucking kickstarter now. This is going to lead to shady people getting involved.
If the project or people behind it do not pass muster for you, don't give them your money. No one, no one is forcing open your wallet.

Focusing on every potential negative outcome as a reflexive response to this outpouring of good will is harshing the vibe, friend.

Great. Now everyone's going to do a fucking kickstarter now. This is going to lead to shady people getting involved.

Then don't fund said shady people. Maybe start up a sort of blacklist of untrustworthy people/companies from previous experience, similar to what Shoryuken does with Shady/crappy tournament organizers.

God damn, i was going to flash my plastic in the middle of work but decided against it, def. going to put in some money as I've probably redownloaded their podcasts 4-5 times over (from reformats and switching from zune to itunes) Best news all month.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.

Oh pu-lease, you act as if this is the 2nd kickstarter project ever. Get your bum straightened out and have a look at how hilariously terrible some of the kickstarter pages and ideas are and wouldn't you know! None of them succeed.

There is a reason why this was funded in two hours and it's because what Idle Thumbs has been in the past and present for a plethora of readers.

sixghost

Oh pu-lease, you act as if this is the 2nd kickstarter project ever. Get your bum straightened out and have a look at how hilariously terrible some of the kickstarter pages and ideas are and wouldn't you know! None of them succeed.

There is a reason why this was funded in two hours and it's because what Idle Thumbs has been in the past and present for a plethora of readers.

The combination of cynicism and ignorance regarding Kickstarter has been really weird the lats couple weeks.

Somehow a legendary game developer doing something extremely unique in the industry and raising shit loads of money gets interpreted as "fuck anything can get funded on that website."

It's also led to a week of bad "here's my wacky kickstarter idea" jokes.

I'm going to be pledging $13 for the lowest tier rewards. Idle Thumbs is worth a lot more to me, so if in the future there's an option to donate etc I definitely will, but unfortunately that's all I can afford at the moment.

I really, really wish shit like this was around a few years ago. It might've saved GFW Radio/1UP Yours or something. :( At least we're getting the Thumbs back!

Can't wait to see what you guys do :)

I'm going to be pledging $13 for the lowest tier rewards. Idle Thumbs is worth a lot more to me, so if in the future there's an option to donate etc I definitely will, but unfortunately that's all I can afford at the moment.

I really, really wish shit like this was around a few years ago. It might've saved GFW Radio/1UP Yours or something. :( At least we're getting the Thumbs back!

Can't wait to see what you guys do :)
In the case of GFW it was not because 1up as a hole was not proffiable but everything around them was not, EGM and ziff davis was not making any money but 1up and GFW (at least the podcast and online content was).
It was a classical case of mismanagement.

TheCrow

This somehow indeed feels like you're paying off a debt to all the old episodes I enjoyed multiple times already. And we're getting even more!
I love listening to Idle Thumbs over and over, will probably revisit a few of my favorites tonight. It's because their podcasts don't rely on what is happening in the industry at that moment so it doesn't matter when you listen to them. I just like hearing them talk about whatever they're interested in and it's why my favorite moments from the Bombcast are when they go off on tangents, like whenever Vinny talks.

In the case of GFW it was not because 1up as a hole was not proffiable but everything around them was not, EGM and ziff davis was not making any money but 1up and GFW (at least the podcast and online content was).
It was a classical case of mismanagement.

Yeah, but I mean if they got donations etc the same way RebelFM did. Unfortunately, out of all the 1UP staff, we lost two great podcasts and got a mediocre one.

It might have been able to survive in some form!

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I had to go with 'The World Is Yours' package, having them back is amazing! The rewards are really great too. If I give more, can we get an Idle Thumbs adventure game?

border

One reason why I'll never kickstart anything is the lack of cash flow statements for 'investors'. Especially with lines like Doublefine's "we'll put extra funds on voice work and talent", I simply don't have enough trust in how it'll be managed. No offense to the Idle Thumbs crew, I trust you all implicitly.

You're better off thinking of this as a pre-order program, rather than some kind of investment or a non-profit donation.

If I pre-purchase game for $50, all I should expect is the game. I don't demand to know how the money was spent. If they can deliver the game and then spend the excess on scratch-off lottery tickets, I don't care. They don't have to be responsible with the money so long as I get what I wanted.

Tim-E

Pledging $50 without hesitation. This podcast has brought me so much enjoyment that I didn't even have to think about pledging money for it. After a draging day of work this news has genuinely made my day.

You're better off thinking of this as a pre-order program, rather than some kind of investment or a non-profit donation.

If I pre-purchase game for $50, all I should expect is the game. I don't demand to know how the money was spent. If they can deliver the game and then spend the excess on scratch-off lottery tickets, I don't care. They don't have to be responsible with the money so long as I get what I wanted.
I WOULD LOVE A VIDEO of tim going to a gas station.
"euuhh Yes I have $50.000, could I have all your scratch off lottery tickets please?"

And than a 10 hour video of him just scratching it all off :p.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Oh wow I had no idea the game was specifically made for this project in mind, that's pretty bad ass.

Top Bottom