• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: IEM Season VIII: Cologne – StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm

SamuraiX-

POLTTTTUUUUUUUUUUUU

Motherfucking Polt, man! Switches it up appropriately in the most amazing way.

Watching those Colossi melt without touching the bio was so satisfying to watch.

USA! USA! USA!

Except toss have a bajillion different strengths and builds that can instantly kill terrans off

There are a few things that are making the matchup slightly imbalanced (even slight imbalances can have a big impact). It's embarrassing the way people talk about the matchup.

Protoss is favored and changes are needed but it's not even close to as bad as you and everyone else is implying.

kasane

USA! USA! USA!

There are a few things that are making the matchup slightly imbalanced (even slight imbalances can have a big impact). It's embarrassing the way people talk about the matchup.

Protoss is favored and changes are needed but it's not even close to as bad as you and everyone else is implying.
My point is toss can play different styles against terrans while terrans are stuck with bio

My point is toss can play different styles against terrans while terrans are stuck with bio

I don't see what that has to do with the discussion i was having? Sure i'd like to see terran have more options in particular i'd like to see stronger mech play (hopefully the widow mine helps encourage this) but it's not relevant to what we were talking about.

Edit: Also toss plays different styles early game but late game essentially toss always ends up with the same army.

Aaron

Balanced or imbalanced matchup... whatever. I just want to know why protoss have ready access to so many storms when ever other attack advantage comes with weaknesses. Even the incredible power of stim damages the units that do it. It just seems a lot like fungal growth to me before that was made into a projectile, adding a little extra skill needed to make it balanced.

Balanced or imbalanced matchup... whatever. I just want to know why protoss have ready access to so many storms when ever other attack advantage comes with weaknesses. Even the incredible power of stim damages the units that do it. It just seems a lot like fungal growth to me before that was made into a projectile, adding a little extra skill needed to make it balanced.

The disadvantage is that if you get your high templar sniped or EMP'd your army turns into paper. I want to see the protoss race changed but my suggestions would center around the MSC, sentry, oracle, voidray and collosus. I'd also look into giving terran more options to deal with storm (like buffing ghosts which they're looking into).

SamuraiX-

I fully expect this next match to go to 5 games as well:

6mCe7zr.jpg

I'm actually pushing for Rain here though since jjakji is already qualified for Katowice. <3

SamuraiX-

The disadvantage is that if you get your high templar sniped or EMP'd your army turns into paper. I want to see the protoss race changed but my suggestions would center around the MSC, sentry, oracle, voidray and collosus. I'd also look into giving terran more options to deal with storm (like buffing ghosts which they're looking into).

The Moebius Reactor removal update is already in there. Polt was able to hang on and win on Frost because of it but it's not fair to say that Terran should easily be able to snipe/EMP HTs while also microing their bio army back. Meanwhile all Protoss have to do is 1-A their deathball while selecting HTs to land the most effective storms.

If Jjakji wins that means polt automatically gets a spot so i'm rooting for Jjakji.

Wait... I don't follow. lol

Polt would still have to defeat jjakji in the semis to achieve a slot...

The Moebius Reactor removal update is already in there. Polt was able to hang on and win on Frost because of it but it's not fair to say that Terran should easily be able to snipe/EMP HTs while also microing their bio army back. Meanwhile all Protoss have to do is 1-A their deathball while selecting HTs to land the most effective storms.

I never said it's just easy to snipe/EMP all the HT's but you can stop them from landing 10 plus storms on your army without any threat whatsoever. Without collosus it's hard to deny EMP's/snipes from landing. It doesn't hard counter HT's but it shouldn't either. Point is you can't build a ghost acadamy against a player going pure templar then not even build ghosts and complain when you get hit by storms.

Also protoss don't just 1-a their death ball. Seriously if it was that easy and protoss are that powerful how have they ever lost a game? I don't buy the ridiculous argument that all protoss players are just terrible either (or that terrans are just better).

Wait... I don't follow. lol

Polt would still have to defeat jjakji in the semis to achieve a slot...

Hmm i was thinking a spot would go to each side so Polt would automatically get a spot if Jjaki got through. I guess if polt lost there would have to be a play off for the spot? Not sure how it would work.

SamuraiX-

Not sure why jjakji thought pulling SCVs vs 7 Colossi was a good idea.

Rain also took advantage of jjakji's poor unit positioning to dominate that engagement.

Hmm i was thinking a spot would go to each side so Polt would automatically get a spot if Jjaki got through. I guess if polt lost there would have to be a play off for the spot? Not sure how it would work.

The way I understand it, if jjakji makes the finals here, there will be a third slot available through the 16-man open bracket that'll be held at Katowice before the main single-elimination bracket gets underway. Originally there was only supposed to be one slot awarded through that open bracket but because herO made the last two IEM finals, ESL's made two available already.

I would love for Rain to make the finals here so he can make it to the world championship because there is a chance he won't be invited to that open bracket and I'm almost 100% sure that Polt will be.

Not sure why jjakji thought pulling SCVs vs 7 Colossi was a good idea.

Rain also took advantage of jjakji's poor unit positioning to dominate that engagement.

It's like rain knew what was coming. Building that colossi is pretty much always a bad idea unless the terran pulls a move like that.

The way I understand it, if jjakji makes the finals here, there will be a third slot available through the 16-man open bracket that'll be held at Katowice before the main single-elimination bracket gets underway. Originally there was only supposed to be one slot awarded through that open bracket but because herO made the last two IEM finals, ESL's made two available.

Oh. I just assumed they would playoff between 3rd and 4th place and give them Jjakjis spot. That's pretty cool actually if 3 people get through.

SamuraiX-

I'm actually really glad that Blink + Time Warp onto all those Marines didn't work. jjakji was set up absolutely perfectly and got that really fast Stim.

It's like rain knew what was coming. Building that colossi is pretty much always a bad idea unless the terran pulls a move like that.

He cranked so many of them out though. Like Kaelaris said, he must been chronoboosting the shit out of that Robo.

This series feels lower quality than the last one. I was expecting better.

He cranked so many of them out though. Like Kaelaris said, he must been chronoboosting the shit out of that Robo.

He must have been but building 7+ collossi is kinda risky. You rarely see protoss go that high as it's unnecessary and can actually weaken your army.

SamuraiX-

jjakji using and abusing dat Polt style to absolutely dismantle Rain. Looks good for Polt if Rain advances. Usually Rain is way more prepared to deal with those kind of drops though. I used to always see HT in his main for Feedbacks.

Sick Snipes + EMPs by jjakji to close it out convincingly.

This series feels lower quality than the last one. I was expecting better.

Yeah but I could see jjakji easily forcing a Game 5.

Rain has like 5 observers but is waiting for a cannon to take his 3rd, he's playing god awful here.

Edit: Come on that engagement was terrible. Come on Jjakji ;;.

Majine

Banned
Argh, JD... he sent in the units in sequence in a couple of place, not accomplishing anything.

Also, My little Protoss: Forcefields are magic

Zen

Banned
recall is the most ridiculous ability for an rts game

They really need to add a cap to the amount of units that can be recalled, maybe give an upgrade to increase it, or make that a Mothership thing.

The progression would feel better at least.

I think people would hate toss less if not for the fact that the games really look unbalanced due to MSC and the power of Storm vs everything bio.

#TossHateGAF

Go JD! Bring it back!

I really need to catch these games. Didn't miss Innovation vs HerO thankfully.

Edit: DAMN! PWNED!

Zen

Banned
I think people would hate toss less if not for the fact that the games really look unbalanced due to MSC and the power of Storm vs everything bio.

#TossHateGAF

Go JD! Bring it back!

I really need to catch these games. Didn't miss Innovation vs HerO thankfully.

Edit: DAMN! PWNED!

The design of the race is very obnoxious and has been since WoL. They have the easiest mechanics of all three races, and are able to completely violate a lot of established RTS norms (thanks warp ins!) that not only let them get away with things that are hard for other races to even fathom, but massively restrict map design because of their abilities like blink.

Majine

Banned
Honestly, this has been one of the greatest SC2 tournaments ever. Really long engaging games, racially diverse and the usual ESL top production to boot.

Zen

Banned
With so many Pheonix I don't understand why Patience didn't just focus the Broodlords first. There were like 3.

Top Bottom