• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If fighting games want to be mainstream esports, they need less fanservice

RM8

I think the difference is actually there are a bunch of characters who are not that.

Josie is cute, but she's not a literal waifu robot, then you have leo... who is exactly not that. Then you also have the option to just... dress them more conservatively if you so choose

where in street fighter, there is little variation, and you have to pay 4 bucks a pop for... more sexy costumes...horray...

It isn't the existence people have issues with, its the lack of variety
This too. There are female characters in T7 who are not Brazzers desings (heck, most if not all of them I'd say). And they also have better anatomical proportions. Chun Li's default costume is sexy but not stupidly so - but of course she had to get a massive boob job coming from SFIV, along with Cammy and Juri.

SFV is my favourite game since it launched, but man, fuck this cheap pandering at the cost of decent character designs.

Oh, so you don't play online?!
I only play online.

Giga Man

Does Namco have a trademark on character dress-up in a fighting game or something? Or, is that just an identity of Namco fighters that is respected among other game developers? Because, I think every fighting game could benefit from free customizations.

Mods do good work

IbLPzON.jpg
I dig it. I like default Cammy and have no problem with "sexy" costumes in general, but I really dig this. This is why I love mods. They give games the variety they're lacking and extend it further beyond.

Tekken VR allows you to perv on your favorite, pose them for your carnal pleasure, or watch them get beaten up so you get off to your sick degenerate fetish.

There is no fetish I despise more than ryona. I'm gonna stop talking about it now.

Sayad

I only play online.
Are you just using this as an excuse to attack SFV while complementing Tekken then? Because every female character in the game have SFV level of skimpy outfits, and there's certainly no lack of players using them online. Only reason Tekken is missing their version of "attacked hardcore by the camera" character is because she haven't made it into the game yet:

tribal24

Banned
There just need to be options, and the fact that cammy couldn't rock her classic outfit is sad, I rather it not be a e-sports if that the case. The characters should be allowed to use there default outfits as that's what a majority of the players base their character choices on looks and moves.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
It's almost as if we're going ass backwards in terms of culture. From freely expressing ourselves to having to cover everything up. These ESPN and Disney people must go swimming in shorts and a tshirt.

RM8

Are you just using this as an excuse to attack SFV while complementing Tekken then? Because every female character in the game have SFV level of skimpy outfits, and there's certainly no lack of players using them online. Only reason Tekken is missing their version of "attacked hardcore by the camera" character is because she haven't made it into the game yet:
Two things: First, you're not bound encounter players who main female characters and who went out of their way to undress them. Actually, I'd say it almost never happens (I play on PC FWIW). Second, what's the skimpiest you can go in Tekken 7? A regular bikini as far as I know. A regular bikini, combined with Tekken not having absurd bouncing volleyball breasts across the entire female roster, along with the camera angles, makes it magnitudes less terrible. And man, if you think Anna's dumb poses are super pandering and sexual, I'd be okay with them being the "standard" for overly sexual stuff in fighting games. She's literally one (fully clothed) character in a massive female roster.

And no, I actually slightly prefer SF over Tekken - but this crap is annoying and I wish it'd stop.

Dice//

Banned
It's almost as if we're going ass backwards in terms of culture. From freely expressing ourselves to having to cover everything up. These ESPN and Disney people must go swimming in shorts and a tshirt.

Have you actually seen a significant amount more 'covered up' girls in games lately because I haven't.

Simmer down.

RM8

Have you actually seen a significant amount more 'covered up' girls lately because I haven't.
Have you tried playing Japanese video games and then going outside IRL? Women suddenly wear more clothes. We're definitely going backwards!

Village

...Or people want their fictional characters to have more variety in outfits and to not just be eye candy for various legitimate reasons reasons

" OH no someone wants cammy to put on pants, we must be going backwards in society, its not like female characters have been sexuality objectified in such ways for decades and people asking for them to not do that might mean that society is moving forward with the idea that not every female character in something needs to be that, and can exists for other reasons. And can have the varitey that male designs have"

Like seriously fucking what?

Oh man batgirls new less sexualized outfits in comics, putting us back decades. Man MK making a bunch of actual legit female designs in X and treating their female characters like actual characters, we Must be on some stone age shit. What is this fictional world you live in where some characters getting more varied outfits means we have gone backwards in some regards.

Sayad

Second, what's the skimpiest you can go in Tekken 7? A regular bikini as far as I know. A regular bikini, combined with Tekken not having absurd bouncing volleyball breasts across the entire female roster, along with the camera angles, makes it magnitudes less terrible. And man, if you think Anna's dumb poses are super pandering and sexual, I'd be okay with them being the "standard" for overly sexual stuff in fighting games. She's literally one (fully clothed) character in a massive female roster.
How is this(NSFW) which most/all Tekken females have is any better than what's in SFV?

And, lol, Anna's are just "dumb posses", but Mika, who's as much of a joke character, is where you draw the line, ok!

Mephala

Outside of my earlier suggestion of releasing official costumes, maybe even sponsored ones for events and such I think it would be nice if we had less of the sexy zoom in stuff.

And its not just SF though for whatever the reason that seems to be the focus.
rzdxrk.gif

At the end of the day, costume variety is nice to have but not the only thing that people might feel is a bit out of place here.

I disagree with the toning down of "fanservice" in fighting games. Leave them as they are. I wouldn't pitch a fit if I saw Cammy wearing pants in SF6, though.

If these television channels want to impose costume rules because they have a reputation to uphold or some such, then so be it.

RM8

How is this(NSFW) which most/all Tekken females have is any better than what's in SFV?

And, lol, Anna's are just "dumb posses", but Mika, who's as much of a joke character, is where you draw the line, ok!
Mika is topless. Mika literally fights with her bare ass. Mika has mostly costumes where her nipples should be visible. Anna has a boob window and two two-second "sexual" poses.

BTW lol at "not wanting cheap juvenile sexual pandering = American". I guess that's why SFV and DOA are breaking sales records worldwide (they're not particularly big here in Japan FFS).

Kikujiro

I can't believe people are using Tekken as an example of good fanservice, especially when Harada is a known perv and he is pretty proud about it, Lucky Chloe is otaku pandering at its worst. Talk about being biased.

The only Japanese fighting game without fanservice may be Virtua Fighter.

Shauni

Can someone's asshole really 'hang out?' That feels like a real medical issue

Mika is topless. Mika literally fights with her bare ass. Mika has mostly costumes where her nipples should be visible. Anna has a boob window and two two-second "sexual" poses.

BTW lol at "not wanting cheap juvenile sexual pandering = American". I guess that's why SFV and DOA are breaking sales records worldwide (they're not particularly big here in Japan FFS).

Mika isn't topless, the hell?

Well, that or companies could get over it. AHH BOOBIES, OH NO! (this is looking at it separately from a respecting women standpoint, because we know that's not what most advertisers actually care about when it comes to this, sadly.)

Or, they could just... have alternate costumes like they currently do.

Yeah the US has a massive problem with boobies.

Shauni

Mika barely has a top. Her butt is also 98% uncovered. I guess you could argue that it's not 100% uncovered!

But she has one, therefore not topless. I mean, words mean things lol. I didn't say anything about the bottoms.

RM8

But she has one, therefore not topless. I mean, words mean things lol. I didn't say anything about the bottoms.
That's being a bit obtuse since I'm sure you know what I mean by topless, though :p

Anyway, regarding Cammy's mod - that's the actual sad part about this. We are robbed of potentially super cool designs because every SF female has to pass the Brazzers test. Can you imagine if that was the case for male fighters? Urien thongs being the norm + bulge bouncing, extreme close ups, and fighters generally acting as if they were male strippers?

Rmagnus

Banned
That's being a bit obtuse since I'm sure you know what I mean by topless, though :p

Anyway, regarding Cammy's mod - that's the actual sad part about this. We are robbed of potentially super cool designs because every SF female has to pass the Brazzers test. Can you imagine if that was the case for male fighters? Urien thongs being the norm + bulge bouncing, extreme close ups, and fighters generally acting as if they were male strippers?

You make it sound like that would be a bad thing

LotusHD

Banned
I can't believe people are using Tekken as an example of good fanservice, especially when Harada is a known perv and he is pretty proud about it, Lucky Chloe is otaku pandering at its worst. Talk about being biased.

The only Japanese fighting game without fanservice may be Virtua Fighter.

Well, ARMS is a thing now. People are thirsty over Twintelle because internet, but the design is tasteful despite it clearly being meant to be an attractive character.

Fanservice is always shit. Nothing makes me cringe more than outfits like Cammy's default, or Laura's design (especially the Bonita outfit). It makes 100% no sense to wear shit like that. Cammy's meant to be a serious character, yet you've got her wedgied-up in a swimsuit. Then you've got Laura wobbling her tits all over the camera at every opportunity. Distasteful shite.

The only time its acceptable is when its played for laughs or it really builds into the character, like with Bayonetta. There are also "sexy" characters like Mature in KoF who don't need to bare all their skin to have that femme fatale allure that gets fanboys rock solid.

HeatBoost

I wouldn't mind the skin level being toned down as long as it's not at the sacrifice of personality. So often I get the impression from people who want less skin that they just want everyone to be dressed in sensible shirt and shoes like they're gap models. That sentiment is shit. Fighting game characters should be larger than life.

In other words

Mostly covered cool characters>Half naked cool characters>>>>>>>>>>>>>>fully covered boring characters.

RIP Akira and Kyoko from Rival Schools

Korigama

Does Namco have a trademark on character dress-up in a fighting game or something? Or, is that just an identity of Namco fighters that is respected among other game developers? Because, I think every fighting game could benefit from free customizations.
Personally, I don't care for the idea of extensive free customization in fighters over preset outfits. The results tend to be quite tacky, more often than not.

KJRS_1993

I'm interested in the overlap between people who think that fan-service is great and that everyone is prudish, and people who wonder why nobody takes E-Sports seriously.

Derpot

As a woman who plays some fighting games from time to time, it makes my eyes roll to see so many sexualized female characters in them.
I played BlazBlue Central Fiction recently for example, and god, this is like T&A (and thighs) party and ridiculous stupid outfits in there. I don't like what they did to Makoto Nanaya, because I like her personality but her outfit is really embarrassing. I think Tsubaki is the only one who isn't embarrassing, maybe Rachel too.
But yeah, it's BlazBlue, and it panders to otaku, so I'm not surprised. It just makes me smh.

I'm not against sexy female characters but at some point, this is really too much when the majority of female characters is "fanservice". I think a balance must be found. Besides, a character can be sexy without having a distasteful design.

Ah yes, and justifications such as "oh but women in real life dress like that" or "she can move her body freely" etc are fucking stupid too. Let's not play dumb, these designs are for male gaze lol.

I genuinely wonder if male characters like those exist somewhere though. That could be interesting to see haha.

IHaveIce

Banned
Doesn't LoL also have a lot of fanservice? Or is it because the models can't be seen as good and the title cards are rarely on screen?

Because that is one of the most mainstream and most successful esports right now

Kinyou

Overwatch is a pretty bad example, because it has a bunch of costumes that aren't that. And characters who aren't that.

The complaint is more variety if anything
Don't all characters in SFV have optional tame costumes as well? The OP seems to be asking to remove the fan service ones completely. That Overwatch can do both kind of shows that this isn't needed to be a successful esport.

daegan

It's already content in a T-rated game, isn't that enough? Why is ESPN so worried about something they show at 11pm Eastern?

This all seems to speak of a bigger problem within games. The fact that they are still marketed and designed towards Teenage boys when they aren't the main market anymore.

Also, if games ever want to be considered alongside film and music as worthwhile past times they need to shed their over reliance on this kind of embarrassing nonsense.

The problem isn't the existence of sexy characters it's that all the female characters are treated this way across multiple games. Arguing that it also happens in Tekkken as well as Street Fighter doesn't make it better, it just makes the whole thing worse.

As much as anyone protests this, it isn't needed in games, we don't need to leer over all the characters in games.

There seems to be a concept that this some kind of conservative overreaction rather than ESPN trying to present a professional product. The fact that there is a large part of the community who get so defensive over fan service just highlights, to me at least, the lack of maturity in this industry.

Don't all characters in SFV have optional tame costumes as well? The OP seems to be asking to remove the fan service ones completely. That Overwatch can do both kind of shows that this isn't needed to be a successful esport.
The designs in Overwatch are not that sexualized compared to Street Fighter's, at all. There is no one on the Overwatch cast that is as embarassing as Laura, Cammy, and Mika.

Kinyou

The designs in Overwatch are not that sexualized compared to Street Fighter's, at all. There is no one on the Overwatch cast that is as embarassing as Laura, Cammy, and Mika.
So it's just about how much skin you can see? Because widow makers suit sure is damn revealing. Same goes for some other optional costumes.

Zackat

Yep. I know when friends or family see those three I get mad side-eye like "wtf are you playing lol". They are fun to play, but just so ridiculous.

Never got that at all from anyone in OW.

Top Bottom