• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If marijuana was legalized... would it affect your alcohol intake?

Throwing out this question. I think that if marijuana was legalized it would cut down on my alcohol consumption. What about you?

I use alcohol as a legal substance to relax after stressful days... but I'm well aware it's a killer to vital organs like my liver and pancreas.

Marijuana is supposed to provide a relaxation effect (though admittedly it's effects aren't equivalent to alcohol) and when vaporized has only minor effect on the lungs.

Edit: sorry for not being clear, but this thread was intended for those who currently/actively consume alcohol.

Chris R

It's legal here, I've reduced my intake for sure, but still enjoy a drink or two from time to time.

But I'm never one to get passout drunk

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Don't some like drinking with meals and such? Not everyone is just drinking to get drunk.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Not for me. Weed is legal here in WA state, and I still drink about the same amount. Weed is relaxing, but I always get way too high, which is how I like it, but it takes me out of the game completely. I don't wanna be like that every single day. But a nice cold drink or two at the end of the night usually sets me straight.

A little bit of both in moderation seems to work well for me.

If with the right people with the right chemistry in the right place, there is nothing like drinking with a few friends

But you said Relax OP so if it's just to relax of course

I would probably just smoke every time I drank

I prefer weed anyways and it's at least not sad to do alone.

When the wife and kid are out for the day i can smoke a bowl and chill with no regrets.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Probably yeah.

Would probably smoke a bit after a stressful day rather than have a couple.

Only thing keeping me from doing so is not having a hookup currently.

Nope. They serve different functions.

My perspective is that I must abstain from marijuana because it's illegal (and it ties to my employment) and alcohol is forced as my only option.

Edit: In other words, I know they're very different, but I don't have the luxury of viewing them that way.

Yessir. I love marijuana about a billion times more than alcohol. My heaviest drinking years were the ones were I had no weed contacts. I found a consistent awesome dealer and am moving towards drinking occasionally. I've gone four months without drinking last year, and three months this year and am drinking only because I am at a wedding in Napa. I want to beat my record and go dry for more than four months.

Objectively when I look back, the only thing alcohol has ever done for me is give me the balls to chat up my wife the night we met. As for weed, every high is enjoyable and I still have the discretion to not be an ass.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
I would much rather smoke than drink.

Alcohol beyond a few only serves to make me sad and want to listen to Modest Mouse albums.

Weed in excess only makes me want to watch crazy videos and leaves me feeling a bit more chill the day after.

opoth

Banned
No, I used to smoke weed before I became a beer geek. It usually gives me anxiety now, but I do realize from a (physical) health perspective I'd be better off with weed.

Legality hasn't and won't really matter much to me.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
It already has for me and its not legal where I live. I was pretty burnt out on drinking after my mid twenties though. Now its mostly a glass of wine or two at dinner and the occasional social drinking experience.

Dynomutt

drinking for the taste is just something alcoholics made up.

Not true Drambuie is delicious it's scotch whiskey, honey, herbs and spices. Sometimes do half and half. Half a shot of Drambuie half a shot of fine scotch on ice. Taste like honey water when it mixes with the ice really good.

riotous

Banned
Weed was incredibly easy to find and commonly used before it was ever legalized here. Anecdotal but i dont know a single person who has smoked more since its been legalized. Edibles are more common maybe.

I live in Seattle.

sappyday

It's already legal here in LA but it's pretty much the same as before. I only drink during social occasions. I smoke everyday.

Weed was incredibly easy to find and commonly used before it was ever legalized here. Anecdotal but i dont know a single person who has smoked more since its been legalized. Edibles are more common maybe.

I live in Seattle.

There are a few of us prudes who work certain jobs that are doing are best to abide by all federal rules.

Weed is legal here and I smoke every day. I still enjoy going out to the bars tho, so I usually have a few drinks and then go out for a joint and come back in for more drinks.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I pretty much always smoke weed before I drink otherwise I'll drink waay too much. Idk. Been a daily user of both for years and years. My routine won't change.

riotous

Banned
There are a few of us prudes who work certain jobs that are doing are best to abide by all federal rules.
Not sure what that has to do with what i said other than supporting.

It goes both ways. I know loads if people who dont smoke pot here. Point is that in my experience it hasnt changed anyone's habbits.

If you wanted to smoke pot before it was legalized it wasnt stopping most people. And if you didnt want to smoke it, being legal didnt suddenly make you want to.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
It already did when Illinois got medicinal marijuana. I used to get wasted every weekend. Now I get drunk maybe 2 or 3 times a year.

Top Bottom