• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Scott Pilgrim came out today would it be a hit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vordhosbn

Banned
Just wondering what everyone thinks, just watched it recently and I think this film would be hugely successful and make a billion dollars if it came out today.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Just wondering what everyone thinks, just watched it recently and I think this film would be hugely successful and make a billion dollars if it came out today.

Why do you think it would be better now? Do you feel the story or the visuals better align to audience tastes today?

I am not sure it would do any better now then its previous release because it is kinda of an niche IP.

Its hard to say, I think it would've done better but nowhere near a billion. It's still a bit of a niche thing. But it's one of my all time favorite properties. Really excited that Bryan Lee O'Malley's next work looks similar.

I loved it. It was a hit to me then and it'd be a hit to me now. Weird question though, I don't feel like it's that old or much has changed to make it seen differently.

Seesaw15

Nah. Still too niche. If you compare it to cult property like Deadpool it still has wider appeal than a video game inspired romantic action comedy starring Michael Sara

vordhosbn

Banned
Why do you think it would be better now? Do you feel the story or the visuals better align to audience tastes today?

I am not sure it would do any better now then its previous release because it is kinda of an niche IP.

It was executed really well, almost perfect adaptation imo. Guardians of the Galaxy was a niche property (even moreso than Scott Pilgrim I'd say) and look where it's at now....

SeanC

No, too niche of a film and hard to put a good trailer together to sell it to a wide audience.

Baby Driver is going to go the same route, probably.

I do think it bombed way harder than it should have, but IDK. Like it bombed especially hard. Wasn't it in a random throwaway August release though?

Vimes

It was out during a time when everyone hated Michael Cera.

I don't have any beef with Cera, but Scott and Ramona's castings stick out badly when every other choice of actor does a mind-blowingly perfect job of capturing the comic characters.

Any time?

It was during that time that he was definitely "oversaturated." It's the same sentiment that people express about Kevin Hart currently.

I think the only thing that they could have done differently that would've resulted in it making more money is casting someone other than Michael Cera, but then I thought he was perfect in the role.

J@hranimo

Banned
I think it would really make the same splash it did when it first came out.

It was a great way to start my sophomore year of college though!

Dishwalla

Banned
True but in the same sense Marvel has opened the doors for other films of a similar nature. Surely they could've capitalized on that.

I mean Scott Pilgrim came out not too long after Kick Ass, which was similarly a niche comic based film that had zero Marvel push behind it. Yet Kick Ass was a much more successful film, and even got a sequel.

nachum00

Why would it be? If anything Scott Pilgrim is more obscure and niche than it was in 2010.
Yup. It was smart to make it while the comic was still being worked on. Anecdotal I know, but me and all my friends were really into the comic at the time so we were really hyped for a movie that year. I doubt some of my friends would care if it took so long and they were already able to read how it ends.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Guardians also benefits from being a Marvel property.

That is what I was going to say, maybe if you gave Scott Pilgrim Disney influence and money it would be closer to success but even then Guardians is a super hero movie which is hot. What kind of movie is Scott Pilgrim if you wanted to re-market it to audiences?

Chris Pratt as a lead also helps I feel over Cera, who isn't really a star that brings in everyone.

I mean Scott Pilgrim came out not too long after Kick Ass, which was similarly a niche comic based film. Yet Kick Ass was a much more successful film, and even got a sequel.
Kick Ass had shock factor and an R rating. Scott Pilgrim was looked at as some weird indie hipster movie.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I don't have any beef with Cera, but Scott and Ramona's castings stick out badly when every other choice of actor does a mind-blowingly perfect job of capturing the comic characters.

Knowing nothing of the source material at the time, even my takeaway was the movie was wonderful except for the two leads that brought much of the allure down.

Not

Banned
I loved it. It was a hit to me then and it'd be a hit to me now. Weird question though, I don't feel like it's that old or much has changed to make it seen differently.

It was a hit to me. I saw it at midnight after hopping onto the graphic novels the year before and had no idea why no one would think this was the best thing ever made and make a zillion dollars

That weekend I learned the definition of "niche"

Kyne

probably if marketed around the supporting cast.

chris-evans-net-worth.jpg

copilot-women-photos-201309-anna-kendricks-gq-magazine-september-2013-women-02.jpg

aubrey-plaza-s1241x1200-434038.jpg

Brandon-Routh.jpg

tumblr_m9nes4ok2o1r4ld4ro5_r1_250.gif

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
I mean Scott Pilgrim came out not too long after Kick Ass, which was similarly a niche comic based film that had zero Marvel push behind it. Yet Kick Ass was a much more successful film, and even got a sequel.

Kick-Ass came out during the Winter/Spring season nothing else is really out. Scott came out in August. The same weekend as The Expendables and Eat Pray Love.

probably if marketed around the supporting cast.
Plaza wasn't a big name, Evans didn't do the first Cap yet, and Anna was only in Twilight movies.

Maybe it'd have a slightly better shot in 2017, but I still doubt it'd land with general audiences.

Love the everloving hell out of it, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom