• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Scott Pilgrim came out today would it be a hit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dishwalla

Banned
I don't really know why people care so much that it bombed. It was successful on home video, and just about everyone and their mother has seen it. It enjoys the same type of success something like Office Space enjoys, who really cares how it did in theaters at the end of the day?

Just wish the damn game got a re release.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I think nothing has shifted in the zeitgeist related to the acceptability of gamer movies. Nothing.

In 2010 we were already well into the era of adorkable 20-somethings who relate to the world through childhood games. And we still are (though increasingly 30-somethings).

You think it would do well now because of so many gamers/superhero fans in culture? Well, we kinda thought that back then. It didn't.

If it was Disney's or Marvel's Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, sure.

Otherwise, probably not. MAYBE if it had the perfect marketing with a Drake song attached to it and a Kevin Hart cameo or something, and they managed to trick people into seeing an indie rock ass videogame nerd movie, but nahhhhhhhh

I feel like O'Malley got a couple of months of fame after the movie came out before going back to being niche. Then again I haven't looked at the sales for Snotgirl.

Also you guys should read Snotgirl.

I feel like O'Malley got a couple of months of fame after the movie came out before going back to being niche. Then again I haven't looked at the sales for Snotgirl.

Haven't gotten into Snot Girl, but Seconds was good, and he's releasing Worst World this year, which is about music and has more of his traditional style. It's going to be a 3 book series, each about the size of seconds.

guek

Banned
No because Cera can't toe the line between being charismatic/likeable and a complete douche like the character he's playing. Maybe if his performance was better or they had cast someone better. It sucks because the rest of the casting for the movie is on point.

tomtom94

It would have had a better chance at breaking even. I think it's generally accepted that the studio running it against the Expendables was a significant contributing factor in its underwhelming performance.

But it's not the kind of film that was ever going to have mainstream appeal, unfortunately.

Not

Banned

O'Malley's influences are everywhere now, and they'll spread. I bet he's had the single largest Western impact on Millennials who make comics.

In fact I think he single-handedly popularized the bean smile.

No. It was always destined as a cult hit and I think that's a good market for it.

Yeah. It was never destined to be a box office smash

What a fucking well made movie tho. The editing is so tight

And I'm gonna say it. Easily the best evans role in a comic book movie. Actually had some pulse to his performance

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I don't really know why people care so much that it bombed. It was successful on home video, and just about everyone and their mother has seen it. It enjoys the same type of success something like Office Space enjoys, who really cares how it did in theaters at the end of the day?

Just wish the damn game got a re release.

Wow it bombed? It's actually a really good movie.... I guess they messed up the advertising.

I doubt it, but that doesn't mean the movie wasn't fucking awesome.

maxresdefault.jpg

*swoon*

with michael cera as lead. yes.

Man I love that movie so much. Every time someone mentions I have to go and watch it again.
The only thing it really messes up is showing what shitty people Scott and Ramona are.

O'Malley's influences are everywhere now, and they'll spread. I bet he's had the single largest Western impact on Millennials who make comics.

In fact I think he single-handedly popularized the bean smile.
Maybe, but most Millenial comic creators are influenced by manga and anime just like O'Malley.

Definitely. Especially since "geek culture" is so popular right now.

"Geek Culture" as a phenomenon was more popular then. It's been sullied more than a little in the six years since.

I'd argue that if ever that film was gonna land with mainstream audiences, that woulda been the prime opportunity. But it didn't.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I wouldn't say they marketed it right the last time. I know a lot of people went wtf when the Patel encounter was shown in the trailer.

pswii60

It would have been more successful without Michael Cera. I'm so glad Hollywood seems to have dropped him, ruins every film he's in IMO.

That said, if not Cera, they would have gone Eisenberg and that's only marginally better.

sobaka770

Banned
No, it's way too weird and niche. It's not like movie audiences changed drastically over the past 8 years.

I, personally, did not find this movie interesting at all.

Bronx-Man

Banned
If they got literally anyone else on the planet as their lead instead of Michael Cera.

But at this point, who cares? It was a good movie, the books are still awesome, and the legacy lives on in Lil Uzi Vert; LUV Is Rage EP 2 available for streaming soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom