• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Sony was to greenlight Bloodborne 2 without From, which studio would you prefer?

Zetta

without From?

just don't

giphy.gif

finalflame

Gold Member
There is no Bloodborne 2 without FROM. This notion is insane, and Sony knows it. This kind of "what if" thread is pointless -- it simply would NOT be Bloodborne without FROM.

I do wonder what they are up to, though. I'm guessing we'll see some of it at PSX this year.

khaaan

Deck13 due to The Surge, Bandai Namco Entertainment due to Code: Vein, Team Ninja due to Nioh or Sony Studios Japan because they helped with Demon's Souls and Bloodbourne.

Don't think any of them would really measure up to FROM Software's quality, but since the thread's premise is assuming who else could produce a decent game besides FROM, I'd say these teams have proven themselves that I could consider all of them able of producing a enjoyable product using the Bloodborne IP.

PS: Let me share this thing I found. It's called "literally the first sentence in the OP"

Pretty cool find, huh? More people should read it instead of running into this thread holding L1.

People tend to be super narrow minded when it comes to questions like these, especially when it's a high profile title. The idea of a developer being able to handle a genre outside of their flagship isn't even a possibility. Instead they'll think of the last game the developer made and assume it'll be that in different clothing.

I'd probably give it to Japan Studio and try to hire some ex-FromSoft staff. Team Ninja would be a neat choice but I expect they'll be busy on Nioh 2 by now.

I loved BloodBorne, but if From isn't on board I would say don't make it. Go make another carbon copy souls game in a different setting that is underserved.

I also would kind of prefer if From Software explored another style with their next Souls-like.

If Nintendo were to green light Mario without Nintendo......

So Hotel Mario?

Yam's

lol wouldn't that be an AssCreed dev team then?

No idea. But I loved Sand of Time level design and that's the most important part of Souls games for me.

Team Ninja made a great game with Nioh, but as much as I love it, level design isn't its strong suit.

Xe4

Banned
Just have Japan Studios take full reigns. They already played a completely vital yet wholly unappreciated role in the making of both Demon's Souls and Bloodborne. I think they could do a fine sequel without Miyazaki or From.

That said, I'd rather have SIE Japan do a souls-like successor, rather than a direct sequel. Just personal preference.

En-ou

Now, lets not make this a "I would rather we didnt have the game at all without From and Lord Miyazaki-sama".

I am 100% sure a Bloodborne 2 without From and Miyazaki on board would not be the same. But lets work with the hypothesis that From Software and Miyazaki doesnt want to work on a sequel at all, never ever. Personally, I would never choose not having a game at all than having it and not reaching my expectations. The aesthetics alone of Bloodborne makes me thirsty for another game with that atmosphere.

So, which studio could Sony approach to make a worthwhile sequel? Would you prefer a studio with experience in the gameplay and level design loop of the Souls design philosophy (Team Ninja did a great job on Nioh) or would you rather want to see a totally different studio ahead of the project (after all it is never going to be better than Bloodborne 1 anyway, so lets go wild?) and give it to, lets say, Naughty Dog (come on, admmit you are curious now about a Souls like Naughty Dog game lol)?

Personally I think Santa Monica would handle it really well. They absolutely nail the asthethics of everything they do and have experience with action combat gameplay, so why not?
Sorry but BB is all about gameplay. Most western devs and especially ND would be off the list.

I would go with SM also.

taoofjord

No one but From could do it justice but if someone had to do it, I wouldn't mind Frictional games giving it a shot if they hired some team members that could take on the combat mechanics.

javac

People saying they'd rather not have the game are bizarre. Yeah it won't be the exact same without From but what does it hurt to make it? It could turn out to be a good game. The only other alternative is to never have another Bloodborne game in this scenario. I'd rather they roll the dice and make one rather than never getting anything from that IP again. If the game is good, great. If the game is bad, then it's bad. Don't buy it. However it turns out, it doesn't impact the first one in any way. A bad sequel doesn't automatically make Bloodborne terrible. It also doesn't ruin your experience with the first game. I'd say it's better to have a chance at a good game than no game at all.

*Looks at Mass Effect Andromeda* bad games can have a detrimental effect on a studio and IP.

Necron

If it wasn't From Software, Sony's Japan Studio is the only logical choice. They worked closely with From on Bloodborne, so they most likely already know the vision of the sequel.

Basically this if I had to choose; Sony Japan working on it completely. They'd actually know what to do. I wouldn't trust any other studio with it.

StereoVsn

Team Ninja or Platinum would do the trick. It would be a different take but they could get the job done. Maybe working with Sony Japan Studio.

Top Bottom