• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you didn't buy a Wii U, what will the NX have to have for you to consider it?

region free
no stupid gimmicky controller
relatively equal in power to other consoles
new (younger) people at nintendo's board of directors
3rd party support

so basically pretty much never since all of those won't happen

If they finally fire the fisher price employee that is in charge of the online infrastructure and do regular sales like every other game service, then probably yes.

In a theoretical world where the Nintendo console was like the others, had a familiar and traditional controller, and got the same games as the others, and where Nintendo also produced first party content similar to the others, then I would choose the Nintendo console over the others.

It almost sounds like the only way I'd buy a Nintendo console is if Sony made it and put a Nintendo name on it, now that I look at it.

oni-link

Chû Totoro;158247874 said:
I think we could say it like this : If you didn't buy a Wii U you don't like Nintendo games.

So these people won't buy the NX because even if NX have a lot of multi-platform games people are going to stay with other systems.

And I can add : If you didn't buy a 3DS you don't like Japanese games.

PS : we all know both Wii U and 3DS have a lot of awesome indie games but I'm sure people enjoy at least the most remarkable games so the only justification imo is "don't like Nintendo games" (like the main motive for me is "like Nintendo games")

I don't think this is true at all, Nintendo still get spoken about a lot because there are a lot more than just 10m people who love Nintendo games, just a lot of people can't justify spending several hundred pounds/dollars on a system for half a dozen games (which never drop in price, which is another issue)

Based on the premise of this thread, if someone has no intention of buying an NX no matter what, then I don't know why they would be commenting in this thread

taa0098

Neo Member
As a primarily pc player, I don't give a shit about 3rd party support on a ninty console. All I want is a unified account system and great 1st party exclusives.

Also, a robust virtual console store. I didn't have any sony console growing up, so being able to find almost every ps1 title on my vita/ps3 to buy and play immediately is very nice. I'd like to be able to do the same with nintendo (but with my childhood favorites), and it's kinda there, but there's still titles missing. I also wanna be able to play them on the go.

Edit: my bad, forgot the title as I was posting. I do have a wii u.

oni-link

As a primarily pc player, I don't give a shit about 3rd party support on a ninty console. All I want is a unified account system and great 1st party exclusives.

Also, a robust virtual console store. I didn't have any sony console growing up, so being able to find almost every ps1 title on my vita/ps3 to buy and play immediately is very nice. I'd like to be able to do the same with nintendo (but with my childhood favorites), and it's kinda there, but there's still titles missing. I also wanna be able to play them on the go.

Edit: my bad, forgot the title as I was posting. I do have a wii u.

This is such a huge missed opportunity, they could have had almost every NES and SNES game up, along with HD versions of N64 and Gamecube games, and they could bill it as a "Nintendo machine" with 1000 games to play, and that would be such an amazing selling point, more so with a good online account system

EhoaVash

i don't really care for third party games or nintendo vc lol
only buy/play nintendo system for that first party goodnes aka zelda, 3d mario and smash

what i do want is a faster/multitasking os like ps4
and account system also more storage pls .wii u was only fucking 32 gb

Petrae

I think we could say it like this : If you didn't buy a Wii U you don't like Nintendo games.

Then you'd be wrong.

Nintendo games are generally good to great. The problem is that, to me at least, that isn't enough to justify dropping $300 when the competition offers more than just one side of the software coin. First-party and third-party offerings are available and on the horizon for both PS4 and XBO, while WiiU has first-party and that's it. If I'd committed to WiiU, I'd be missing out on the sports games that I enjoy playing the most, as well as several other established IP that I like. Even the greatness of Nintendo's games isn't enough to offset what the WiiU loses by not having the other games that I think are important.

As mentioned earlier, I'm no longer that guy who drops $1,000 on consoles in a generation. I pick one. And, as long as Nintendo continues to operate without third-party support on its consoles, Nintendo consoles will continue to be last on my list of priority.

Impressive graphics
Backwards compatibility with Wii U (would love to play a lot of those Wii U titles)
Preferably no gimmick
Reasonable Price tag ($299?)

Backwards compatibility would probably be my #1.

Kalliban

Neo Member
I couldn't care less about specs. All they need to get me to buy one is games that I wan't to play and a good price.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Games, proper account system, more impressive specs compared to PS4/XB1, no gimmicky controllers.

The only games I considered for the Wii U were Super Mario ones. I was gonna get Zelda but that isn't coming until next year now. Just aren't enough games to justify buying the console. 3rd party ones would be nice.

To be fair I'm not entirely sure how the account system is on Wii U but I know it's almost non existent on 3DS. Make it like PSN where console/handheld are linked and purchases are saved to it.

I know it doesn't take much to run Nintendo games but I would like to see them challenge PS4/XB1 a little.

I don't want another Wii Remote or a controller with a huge screen on it. If you want to have that functionality then make it possible through 3DS or the next handheld device similar how to the Vita works with PS4. Just give me a classic controller like the Dualshock 4/XB1 controller. I know they got the Pro controller for Wii U but I imagine it wouldn't work that great for all games.

So these people won't buy the NX because even if NX have a lot of multi-platform games people are going to stay with other systems.

And I can add : If you didn't buy a 3DS you don't like Japanese games.

PS : we all know both Wii U and 3DS have a lot of awesome indie games but I'm sure people enjoy at least the most remarkable games so the only justification imo is "don't like Nintendo games" (like the main motive for me is "like Nintendo games")
I play Mario Kart 8 like a beast, my most anticipated game right now is Zelda and one of my favorite franchises of all times is Star Fox. Yet, I'm not silly enough to spend $400 on a machine for just those three titles. I do have a WiiU but if I didn't get it for the price I did, I wouldn't, I know that for a fact. Not that it wouldn't hurt to be missing out on these titles though.

I like the idea of an all in one combo home/portable console but that would be another gimmick. I feel Nintendo really needs to focus. I wouldn't mind a gimmick as long as the system can compete with the competition on a spec for spec basis. That's the only way they will gain and maintain third party support. If all three consoles were equal, I would probably main the Nintendo platform simply due to the fact that it has the strongest first party titles by far and I'm sure publishers would too.

Zukuu

Banned
Exclusives RPGs on mass would be the only wooing factor for me, and even then I'd probably wait a few years to get one dirt cheap.

I want them to implement a "gimmick" that I personally care about. No dual screens, no asymmetrical game play. More motion controls, and fitness stuff would be great.

KZObsessed

Price - £199
Powerful - close to XB1 specs would be fine.
Proper online/account system.
Backwards compatibility with WiiU. Ability to download DS/3DS games would be a nice bonus. A regularly updated Virtual Console.
System wide trophy/achievement system.
No gimmicky controller.
New IPs that appeal to me.
RPGs

I would like to play Zelda again even if the last few have disappointed me.

Kyolux

BC is probably a bad idea at this point.

I personally would love my Wii U games collection to work on their next console, but wasn't part of the Wii U's problem the fact that they kept the GC/Wii architecture?

The PS4 dropped BC and it didn't do it much harm so far. It's probably the way to go if we want 3rd parties on board. They have not only to play catch up on Sony and MS, but also one-up them and hope that the PS5 and X-One's successor will be following a similar structure.

If they go for a gimmick again, it'll get ignored just like the Wii U was.

disap.ed

I would really like for NX to be BC with Wii U. Haven't had the chance to pick one up but that would help me grab one faster.

Hell, I still might grab a Wii U for Wii BC and to fool around with GameCube emulation as well.

Hope Nintendo doesn't exclude the BC. They've been good for it as of late.

Edit: I think that would ease a lot of concerns with the short Wii U lifespan issue, don't you think?

No, please no. They should rather use a modern, clean sheet architecture for once.
They could still port / rerelease the main games to the new console if there is demand, maybe even for a nice price for those who already bought it on the WiiU.
The low number of WiiU sales and games just doesn't make BC worth it to spoil a future architecture with ancient CPU tech etc.
I really hope they will finally build a decently powerful and modern architecture / ecosystems that will be future proof and build all their services on it (Virtual console etc.)

Parfait

I didn't buy a Wii U because of financial issues. I hope to have one soon, but if the NX has full BC with the Wii U, including online support, I'll be fine waiting for it to come out and buy that instead.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
$250 or less launch price.

A couple big games (two out of mario, zelda, Metroid, pokemon, star fox etc) at launch.

A solid looking release schedule with major first party releases at least every quarter.

Though, honestly, if they do unify the console and portable library I may just stick with the portable as I kind of prefer Nintendo games on a handheld for some reason.

Blakynt

Banned
good price, 300 USD more or less. A hell of a Metroid game, 500gb HDD and that's pretty much, i will buy a wii u in the future, but just not right now

Koppai

I would really like for NX to be BC with Wii U. Haven't had the chance to pick one up but that would help me grab one faster.

Hell, I still might grab a Wii U for Wii BC and to fool around with GameCube emulation as well.

Hope Nintendo doesn't exclude the BC. They've been good for it as of late.

Edit: I think that would ease a lot of concerns with the short Wii U lifespan issue, don't you think?

I dont think NX is going to have the Wii U gamepad. It might be compatible and you can buy it separately I bet. Or Nintendo will make a new version of it.

I really don't care about BC since I don't use my new systems to play old games besides VC. Be on par and have 3rd party games...I remember all the unique 3rd party Wii exclusives and alot of them were awesome :)

LeleSocho

Banned
Leaving aside the fact that i lost all the trust i had on Nintendo and won't buy anything from them ever again what would appeal to me is:

- Developer friendly architecture with their promise of actively trying to bring all the possible developers on the thing.
- Price that is in line with the processing power of the console
- No gimmick or at least a gimmick that mustn't be mandatory in any game released and must not steal processing power from the hardware
- Real account system

Mindwipe

Honestly? It'll be a secondary console, so it needs to be cheap. Like literally dirt cheap, and backwards compatibility given the small software catalogue it's likely to have.

MysteryM

If the hardware isn't anywhere near PS4\XB1 standards I won't be buying it until there's a healthy catalogue of games - just as I did for the wii u, If the price is over 200 quid then I'm definitely waiting.

I just can't see Nintendo repeating the success of the wii, and so would like to see them go the more traditional route.

A sequel to Mario 64 might make me cave in early though, sunshine was ok but no SM64.

No, please no. They should rather use a modern, clean sheet architecture for once.
They could still port / rerelease the main games to the new console if there is demand.
The low number of WiiU sales and games just doesn't make BC worth it to spoil a future architecture with ancient CPU tech etc.
I really hope they will finally build a decently powerful and modern architecture / ecosystems that will be future proof and build all their services on it (Virtual console etc.)

I totally understand what you're saying but I do believe that no matter what type of hardware or architecture Nintendo decides to go with, they still would never match the 3rd party support found with PS and Xbox brands.

Why not show a good faith to Wii U adopters that make up the base for buying such a short lived system and then telling them, hey your games arent being supported anymore.

I've lost alot of faith in Nintendo "services", The Virtual console was a fantastic idea that was muddied in execution and was never fully realized. Im excited at the possibility of a fully fleshed out online system with a Nintendo console but now for me, its pretty much about the games and only the games... It seems its the only thing Ninty can get right.

Sethista

Some time ago I resigned myself to accepting that nintendo is not for me anymore.
Im over 30 and played alot of super nintendo and the wii, but nothing nintendo makes interests me anymore. Last mindblowing nintendo experience I had was galaxy and metroid prime 3.

Having said that, I would pick a nintendo console for my daughter, she is a newborn and when she is around 4 I would consider getting her a NX or wii whatever then. because I feel she would take much more out of nintendo from now on than I ever will.

So for me it does not matter what they come up with next, as long as I have casual games for my daughter.

Bowl0l

Game sales higher than 20% for 3~5 year old games and built-in 3.5" HDD tray. Of course, no overpriced tablet controller that has limited function and if not, it is available in every retail store for a reasonable price.

kentobi

Neo Member
for me personally the biggest thing would be backwards compatibility to wii u, because im planning on getting one this year and have a couple of titles i want to play

antti-la

Well, assuming it's coming out in 2017-2018 when there probably already is anticipation and rumours for the upcoming PS and Xbox. It clearly wasn't enough when Wii U launched with comparable hardware to PS3 and Xbox One, so "similar" hardware won't be enough in this case either.

• Clearly more powerful than PS4 and Xbox One.
  • Third party supports with versions of games that kick butt compared to PS4 and Xbox One counterparts.
  • Normal gamepads.
  • Good online infrastructure and account system.

Don't have my hopes up though. I'm afraid it will be some sort of weird streaming box thingie.

Shion

1. Good specs
2. Ambitious 1st party projects
3. Proper 3rd party support
4. Focus on gamers
5. Account-system
6. No region lock
7. Zelda by Koizumi
8. Don't force me to pay for gimmicks that add no actual value

Basically, a modern version of NES / SNES.

Petrae

Honestly? It'll be a secondary console, so it needs to be cheap. Like literally dirt cheap, and backwards compatibility given the small software catalogue it's likely to have.

If we're resigned to current and future Nintendo consoles being secondary boxes, then yeah: Cheap price is mandatory. $150 for a Nintendo-only machine is the highest I'd go after dropping $400 on a primary console.

Also, if that's the case, power wouldn't matter as much. Third-party pubs likely aren't coming back, so why break the bank on tech specs? Instead, create a super-affordable machine that showcases your first-party wares instead of conforming to more expensive third-party hardware requisites.

Third party support. That's all it needs.

As much as I'd really like to see that happen, we're more likely to see Screech from Saved By The Bell get a seat on the US Supreme Court than seeing renewed third-party support for future Nintendo platforms.

oni-link

If the hardware isn't anywhere near PS4\XB1 standards I won't be buying it until there's a healthy catalogue of games - just as I did for the wii u, If the price is over 200 quid then I'm definitely waiting.

I just can't see Nintendo repeating the success of the wii, and so would like to see them go the more traditional route.

A sequel to Mario 64 might make me cave in early though, sunshine was ok but no SM64.

No one would have expected the Gamecubes successor to outsell the PS2s successor either

I think a lot of people will buy the NX if it's cheap, even if the specs are lower, most gamers like good games, if its affordable and the only place to play 8-12 great games people will bite

Pizza

I bought a WiiU two years ago and I'm super excited for the NX. Usually my consoles last longer than a couple years, so I'd personally love to see the NX sync save data and be backwards compatible with WiiU

Either way, I feel like the NX really can NOT be another Wii U for Nintendo. I'm personally one of those guys who thinks Nintendo should've given up on making hardware years ago and focused their resources on making games for Sony, Microsoft, and mobile.

Decent Specs

Account System

Pro Controller

Its time to ditch the gimmicks. They have shown time and again that software is king. So innovate THERE and leave the weird hardware at the curb

tanod

when is my burrito
Unified (not hardware-based) account system.
Backwards compatibility with the WiiU
Traditional controller
$250

Top Bottom