• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you didn't buy a Wii U, what will the NX have to have for you to consider it?

RootCause

Discrimination against wiiu owners... :p
Still will answer the question. Id jump on it if it's stronger than the ps4, and has bc with wiiu games/gamepad. If not, then I'll just wait a year or two.

Many are just describing another PS4 clone (we already have one of those), how boring is that, let Nintendo gimmick the shite out of the next console, I personally want to see something new

EMT0

Banned
I WOULD go that far! The number of threads about Wii U's "failure" + the number of people asking for Nintendo to go 3rd party proves it!

Literally every single thread about Wii U titles has some thinly veiled portbegging too.

I own a Wii U, have owned every Nintendo console released from the Gamecube onwards, and buy basically every other game Nintendo develops in house. And I think it'd be far better for me as a consumer if they went third party so that I don't have to buy their hardware anymore. I don't ever post about it, but your siege mentality's enough to convince me to post about it. People love Nintendo, but don't love Nintendo the same way as you, therefore hatred? Please.

Cse

Banned
- A sound online network, akin to XBL or PSN. This includes an account based system.

- Backwards compatibility. There is an inverse relationship between the importance of backwards compatibility and sales of the previous system. If your previous system sold quite well, backwards compatibility becomes less important, as most of your potential pool of buyers for the new system probably already have your old system. However, if your old system performed poorly (or in the case of the Wii U, incredibly poorly) then backwards compatibility becomes a must, as you're basically able to sell a person two consoles in one.

- Power on a similar level to the PS4, with a similar ease of development. Honestly, Nintendo doesn't need to get fancy here - basically copy the entire architecture of the PS4. 8 GB of GDDR5, and have AMD put together a similar x86 based APU.

- Third party support. If Nintendo adopts a simplistic x86 architecture, in line with something like the PS4, and has a great SDK at launch, then developers will be able to port over games with ease. No one wants to spend extra money on a dedicated Nintendo box. Nintendo needs to understand that if they can get the major multiplatform games on their system, then people will choose their system over a PS4/XBO based on the fact that they can play Nintendo exclusives as well.

- $250 or less. Regardless of whatever Nintendo's next pair of consoles turns out to be, the console must be priced less than $250, and their next handheld must be priced less than $150 - otherwise, I don't see either one doing very well, regardless of any other factors.

- powerfull as the other systems
- no strange controllers
- 3rd party support
- strong first party support, where the hell are F-Zero, Metroid, 1080, Waverace???????
- price in line with the market, low spec hw? so don't ask me the same I have to pay for better spec hw
- no f*cking region f*ucked lock /Negan mode off

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Just fix all the screwups from the Wii U.

-controller that can charge off the base system/micro USB
-no f*king proprietary plugs!
-no region locking
-good battery life
-no weird/expensive controllers
-storage that isn't stingy... the base Wii U's storage was absurd
-cheap
-account system
-Metroid Prime 4

With all that said, in honesty, I could happily not buy any of their hardware again. If it wasn't for Monster Hunter I probably would have abandoned them years ago. See the above issues with the U. The New 3DS for example, is nice but it took several revisions to get there.

Novocaine

It's boring.

Did you really think 10 years ago that the future of gaming included controllers we were using all the while???

Considering we have been using the same basic type of controller for video games for the past 30+ years yeah, it's not really a shock to me. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

There is a certain type of Nintendo fan that wants them to keep doing things that they personally like, but that cause the systems to sell poorly

There's also the type of fan like me who wants to sit down with a disc and a controller and play a Mario game. Unfortunately for Nintendo as a gamer I'm spoiled for choice so if they want to keep making these silly controllers and not respect me as a consumer then I'll spend my money elsewhere. I would be lying if I said I didn't miss playing Nintendo games but they need to get with the times if they want my money.

Dryk

And I think it'd be far better for me as a consumer if they went third party so that I don't have to buy their hardware anymore.
It'd be better for me as a consumer if everybody went third party so I didn't have to buy their hardware anymore.

- Backwards compatibility.

- Power on a similar level to the PS4, with a similar ease of development.

- $250 or less.
So you want them to make a PS4, include the guts of the Wii U for PowerPC compatibility, invest a huge amount of money into third-party relations and then make it significantly cheaper? I mean sure if that happened it'd sell well... until it bankrupted the company.

arevin01

I passed on the Wii and Wii U because of gimmick controls. So let's see if Nintendo finally brings a regular control scheme next time around.

watershed

Banned
If it's a portable with a decent screen and WiiU-like graphics that merges Nintendo's portable and console development so that I can buy all 21st party games on it, I'll be sold. I've missed some great Nintendo games because I don't own WiiU but at the same time I don't want to buy a WiiU. A hybrid portable or whatever would solve this problem for me.

anderedna

- Online account system, not hardware locked, and able to create multi account for multi region under one console
- Region free physical games
- Better graphic power, at least could produce FHD quality game
- Officially launch at my country, so I won't need to import it and having headache later if I need to use the warranty
- A console is a console and a controller is a controller, if one broken, I could buy a replacement somewhere. (My understanding is that WiiU gamepad can't be bought separately, is that correct?)

rjinaz

My point still stands: The majority of GAF is anti-Nintendo.

This would be a hard thing to prove. Sure there are Nintendo haters no doubt, just the same as there are haters of other console makers.

I actually don't really care for the wii u at all (hate the gamepad). I own one because how else can I play games like Xenoblade and Zelda? I like Nintendo though, I like their games. I like the 3ds. I just don't like their consoles for the last two generations. Used to even be a Nintendo fanboy, like I wouldn't even touch a PlayStation. That was in my youth though.

You see a lot of negativity towards Nintendo right now because of the Wii U. Because it is one of the worst selling consoles of all time. It's just inevitable and you're going to have to get used to it. If it was the PS4 that was doing so poorly, similar threads would be popping up about Sony as well. I seem to recall reading a thread not that long before the PS4 was announced where the majority seemed convinced that Sony would go bankrupt and not even release another console. People tend to focus on the negatives more than the positives. The negatives are more interesting to talk about I think.

Coxy

region free, no stupid gimmicks, a hard drive that isnt made to fit 1992 and some semblance of actual support

Boss Mog

- Competitive specs (compared to PS4 and XO)
- Robust online platform which includes a comprehensive online account system and lag free online play
- 3rd party support equal to PS4 and XO
- Trophy/Achievement System (all major platforms including Steam has this, no reason for nintendo not to)
- Ships with standard controller

Honestly if it had all these things it would be my go to system for all games. If they want to release gimmicks let them be optional add-ons.

Short of a complete overhaul of the company, there's literally nothing that would interest me in buying another piece of Nintendo hardware. They just seem like they're stuck in the past with everything they do. When I buy something I want it to feel modern.

Snakeyes

1. Modern OS, online features and account system. Self-explanatory.

2. Good value for the asking price. If the hardware is a proper generational leap, charging $300-400 is fine. If it's gonna be a Nintendo box, then price it accordingly. Despite all of its shortcomings, I would have already bought a Wii U if it was available new for $200-250 with a Pro Controller.

3. And most importantly, start making games that I care about again. The games that made me into a fan of Nintendo consoles were Star Fox 64, GoldenEye, Ocarina of Time, F-Zero X and Perfect Dark, while Melee, Metroid Prime, Paper Mario TTYD and F-Zero GX cemented my interest in their software. Thing is, the Nintendo of today doesn't really seem to have those types of games as a priority anymore. I don't care about Animal Crossing, Kirby, Yoshi, Captain Toad or Pikmin. I don't care about Smash games with Brawl-esque gameplay. Mario Kart is cool but it's no F-Zero and DLC ain't gonna cut it. There hasn't been a revolutionary Zelda game since Majora's Mask and Aonuma seems hell-bent on cartoony graphics despite better sales of the grittier Zeldas.

If Nintendo put a bigger focus on high-budget games with novel gameplay and a more mature aesthetic like in the N64 and GameCube days, I'd be much more likely to become an early adopter of their next home console.

kinggroin

Banned
If the majority of requirements are legit, then there's zero chance of Nintendo succeeding by catering to the core maeket. And remaining profitable.

This is their own doing, so they're going to have to make a tough decision on how to capitalize.

My point still stands: The majority of GAF is anti-Nintendo.
Uh, no. The majority of GAF has budgetary and time constraints when it comes to gaming, and many of use don't want to spend either resource on what we perceive to be weak hardware. The issue isn't that the Wii U itself is bad; it's a Nintendo machine, after all. It'll have some great games and work reasonably well. The problem is our resources are limited and we need to decided what's worth it and what isn't. And the Wii U, for most of us, just isn't, in the face of other options. With all the games being released in nowadays, it is literally impossible to play them all.

Thus to say that we're anti-Nintendo is just juvenile. Just because someone doesn't love something you do doesn't mean that they're against it. The opposite of love is not hate. It's indifference. And most of us just don't care about the Wii U. And over time, that has begun to change into not caring about Nintendo. Because that's what happens when your entire ecosystem is locked into one, single, failing piece of hardware. To actually answer this thread's question, the only way I'd buy the NX would be if it was backwards-compatible and actually had third-party support, and wasn't just an under-powered Nintendo-machine, or if it is, anything but a really cheap one. ...at least, that's what I would have said years ago. Because you know what? Back then, I guess I was sort of anti-Nintendo. I wanted to play some of those games and resented that I'd have to buy a Wii U to do so. So I did without. I got into PC gaming. And so now? Right now? Nothing would make me by an NX. That resentment I felt slowly faded away into nothing. At this point, if it weren't for threads like this, I'd basically forget about Nintendo completely. I don't even care enough to complain about it any more. I only posted in this thread to make this point, because I was annoyed at you trying to corrupt some perfectly wholesome apathy with claims of hatred.

And that's it.

EDarkness

For me, I'll be there if I don't have to worry about:

-Specs (something better than PS4 would be great)
-Motion controls...I love the remote and I want that back, but improved (more buttons)
-Traditional controller support as well
-Better multi-plat situation (don't need all the game, but better multi-platform games would be nice)
-Region free...this is a huge thing for me. Being able to get games from all over is a nice perk of the PS4.

I don't see any of these as being unreasonable. It's something that I really want them to consider in the future and I guess we'll see how it goes next year. Either way, I always get excited about new hardware regardless.

Probably nothing, being entirely honest.

At this point, Nintendo are playing catch up when it comes to hardware and features.

It's great that Nintendo are still being Nintendo, but unless they plan to go all out with their next system, get support and use a standard controller as the main controller for the system, there's really nothing there for me. That's fine, there's other options.

As for games, I dunno, there's nothing wrong with Nintendo games, but I feel like the SNES glory days are long gone.

Wall

The Wii U is the first Nintendo console I didn't buy since the SNES, so:

- competitive specs with the other consoles, at least PS4 level, but ideally above considering the new console will release years after the PS4
- First/second party games I actually care about: I love games like Zelda, Mario 64/Galaxy, Metroid, and Rare's output during the N64 era. Zelda U was the first exclusive game on the Wii U that appealed to me. Smash Brothers and Mario Kart are amazing looking games, but I am not interested enough in those series to plunk down 300+ dollars for a console; the same is true for games like Pikimin and Animal Crossing.
- Repaired relations with third parties so the new console receives multi-platform games that appear on Microsoft and Sony systems.
- I don't really care about the controller or "gimmick" one way or another as long as Nintendo does the above.

FZZ

Banned
I already have a Wii U and it is literally just a Smash 4 machine. I have MK8, but haven't gotten around to playing it that much.

At least Gamecube had PM:TTYD too. So at least another Paper Mario game in the style of the first two.

Thats pretty dumb but ok.
I usually don't buy things I don't like.

My daughter is a Zelda fangirl. We will own whatever new Nintendo console comes out as long as she lives at home. Of course, she starts college in August.

I did buy a Pro Controller in order topple some some games, but you still need to mess with the gamepad more than I want to.

I won't rule out a new Nintendo console, because I loved the Gamecube and SNES. But I would need it to be primarily a standard controller. I won't buy another gimmick controller console from them. And I would hope they figure out how to create an online service that isn't more of a pain than it is worth.

Kudo

Only reason I don't have Wii U/3DS yet is because they aren't region free, I would really like to get them but not that keen on buying 2 of the same.
From NX I hope it is region free.

Cloudy

Banned
No gimmick controls and more RPGs. I eventually bought a wii for Xenoblade and will do the same with wii u for the "sequel"

Relativ9

If it's backwards compatible with classic controller Wii U games that'll be a pretty big selling point for me, cause I want to play those games, but I don't want a Wii U.

Respectable Online
Decent Specs
Games that I actually want from nintendo or their partners. Wii u has very little for me compared to any other nintendo system in which I enjoyed at least 20 or more titles on each.

Exactly this. I think most gamers' wants are relatively straightforward, Nintendo just has to give a crap. Imagine something with a library like the SNES and the power and connectivity of a modern console.

Fugu

If there is anything that I do not want to buy, it's the next Nintendo console, but all they have to do to get my money is release the next Bayonetta on it. There are very few, if any, games that are as good as either of the Bayonettas.

The NX wll NOT be a successor the the Wii U. Wii U isn't even halfway done wth at people thinking Nintendo is gonna give up on the Wii U already and port Zelda Wii U on there. sheesh.

At the very worst, I can see it as a successor to the 3ds, since its going to be about 6 years since the first one came out in 2010, once it comes out sometime next year.

I have a WiiU. But I would love a better account system. Backwards compatibility would be awesome as well.

I would love for the WiiU tablet to work with it for off TV play or at least have it as a controller option.

Spec wise they need to get closer to if not surpass the Xbox one but u doubt they will.

Game wise they need to get third party games. It doesn't hurt them not having them but it's a nice thing to have.

Ants

Great games mostly. I know many people are completely satisfied with the Wii U's current and upcoming titles, but for me it lacks the system sellers that Galaxy or Wind Waker were. Right now it's only got games that I'm interested in (DK, W101, Bayo...) but none that I feel I can't miss.

If Galaxy was a system seller to you, SM3DW should be even moreso. It blows Galaxy 1 and 2 out of the water.

Top Bottom