• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: EA says "no one's getting access [to Sims 4] ahead of release" for reviews

Xater

What's Will Wright doing these days anyway? Is he still in the games industry? So sad to see what happened to Maxis in recent years.

He is now a board member of Linden Labs and does some TV stuff afaik. He is basically out of this industry.

shaowebb

This doesn't exactly instill much faith in me that this time around they won't be absolutely wrecking the game with the sequel.

RulkezX

The type of person who buys the Sims has likely never visited a gaming site in there life.

Not that that excuses this , but EA being shitty isn't really a massive surprise at this point.

That's cool on the other hand, making paid reviewers less relevant is the way to go. You can focus on reading players' reviews and avoid the whole BUUH IGN GAVE IT 7.9 INTEAD OF 8 noise.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
That sounds like they have no confidence in their own product.

If it's that bad, it's probably better to put it in the oven for a bit longer instead of releasing it and doing permanent damage to the franchise.

I'm kind of confused why they seem willing to delay basically everything else that's not a sports game when this sounds like it's about to launch as a horrid product.

Their target audience won't care either way.
I don't think so. You'd be surprised.
The official and fan fourms are full of angry people who have decided not to buy this release. Now sales numbers may tell a different story but I definitely see a drop incoming compared to previous releases in the franchise.
Maybe it means a lot of basic stuff by day one patch.
I don't think that's happening either.

I'm kind of confused why they seem willing to delay basically everything else that's not a sports game when this sounds like it's about to launch as a horrid product.

Agreed, especially with 'delay" happy EA lately. It would be interesting to hear the reasoning. I'm not a SIMS guy so I'm not following, but is this always online like SimCity was? Maybe EA is being cheap with turning the servers on early for reviewers.

McNum

There's no way the base game of the Sims 4 will flop. It's a mainline The Sims game, way too much brand loyalty there. What's going to be interesting is who the expansion packs do, because only games that people keep playing will sell expansions.

Well, time to revise the text for the Sims 4 OT. Again. Would you believe i actually had a variant of the Reviews header done in advance for a situation like this? Didn't actually expect to need it, but there you go.

EVOL 100%

Even if by some miracle the base game sells well people aren't going to buy the expansion packs, and it'd kill the reputation of the franchise. This is just a disaster in the making. Just delay the goddamn game ffs

Siegcram

Even if by some miracle the base game sells well people aren't going to buy the expansion packs, and it'd kill the reputation of the franchise. This is just a disaster in the making. Just delay the goddamn game ffs
How would a mainline Sims game selling well be a miracle?

If the general public probably found out how much crap is missing from this game before it's release, most would probably skip the base game and wait for expansions. No babies, pools, ground elevation...

Seeing as how SimCity ended up getting good sales despite the bigger shitstorm, I have no doubt that Sims 4 will end up being a success as well (at least in terms of early sales)

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Well, time to revise the text for the Sims 4 OT. Again. Would you believe i actually had a variant of the Reviews header done in advance for a situation like this? Didn't actually expect to need it, but there you go.

Oh, wow...lol.

Why does it matter if Reviewers get the game early or not?

When Sim City came out, reviewers got it early, and reviews for it were incredible, very high. Then, people really started noticing all the problems with the game, AFTER it was released to the public. Polygon started changing their review, making the score lower. It pretty much showed how the gaming media almost gave the game a free pass.

Not a chance I'd touch this game, watching the various demos it looked very messy. I've no doubt in a year or so after 5 or 6 patches and a few free games it will improve, but alas I've no wish to do a beta test for them.

Top Bottom