• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: EA says "no one's getting access [to Sims 4] ahead of release" for reviews

McNum

Oh, wow...lol.
Yeah, I was saving that as a surprise if Sims 4 started getting bad reviews, something I am considering a possibility still, especially after reading this thread, but I was going to start it off on the normal version. Gonna start with the bad variant now. It'll have to earn the good one instead.

theres a sign of confidence if I ever saw one, tbh though I think i'm done with the franchise, I got fed up of all the nickel and diming with expansion packs and cutting of content, if one series is the worst for DLC etc it's this.

McNum

You joke, but then again...
It's called "The Sims 4 Premium", actually.

Early access to store sets and expansion packs on a subscription. Got leaked from an official EA gameplay video as they clicked through the online menu. Price is yet unknown.

Fruitster

This inspires confidence. It's an EA product so it'll be great out of the box, with no flaws and it will all work perfectly. With their stellar rep for quality, reviews just aren't needed. ;)

synce

It will still sell millions. I personally know someone who bought one of these games (I think it was Sim City), couldn't even start it up due to some nonsense and didn't even care. That's casuals for you.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
S6HAKVZ.gif

Considering the wide appeal of The Sims, and how us people who'd read these reviews are already aware of the stinkiness of The Sims 4, I don't think timely reviews would do a whole lot for EA either way. Just seems kind of odd that they'd do this. Wonder if there's some previously unannounced terribleness?

Niosai

I'm buying it, but only because a lot of the missing features will be modded in within the first couple of months at the latest.

It's probably good to let the initial reviews actually reflect the quality of the game on release, rather than deal with potential bad publicity in the event your game breaks and people feel obligated to cut their scores in half.

It's probably good to let the initial reviews actually reflect the quality of the game on release, rather than deal with potential bad publicity in the event your game breaks and people feel obligated to cut their scores in half.

I thought that this must be the reason, but apparently this game will be playable offline.

Remember when SimCity bombed, game journalists blamed their inflated scores on getting early review copies.

Revven

Agreed, especially with 'delay" happy EA lately. It would be interesting to hear the reasoning. I'm not a SIMS guy so I'm not following, but is this always online like SimCity was? Maybe EA is being cheap with turning the servers on early for reviewers.

No, it's not always online -- it's assumed it was originally designed to be an always online game like Sim City but when Sim City backfired and everything they stripped the always online stuff. In exchange, tons of features are gone.

That's really the game's problem: it's missing a boatload of features from even The Sims 1. It's a million steps back from Sims 3 and its foundation isn't really future-proof (it doesn't support 64-bit). It is basically guaranteed to be an inferior game to Sims 3 from the onset.

Paskil

So what they're really saying is to avoid any EA game with the word "Sim" in the title. That's what I'm getting, at least.

SerTapTap

Does this ever happen with AAA releases, come to think of it? Release day embargos are nothing new, I've been under a couple myself for indies, but no game ahead of launch...for a game like The Sims you're going to need to play for quite some time to make a proper review, too. Expect lots of half-baked day 1 reviews that probably miss lots of important info...

They probably just want reviewers to take their time, there's absolutely no need for rushed reviews. The Sims 4 is an expensive expansive game and there's just so much to criticize experience. This is definitely a new SimCity Battlefield 4 benchmark in the franchise.

mackattk

Is this game online only a la Sim City? Going to be fun reading the reviews when they get released.

Might jump in after a few months once things get patched up and mods get released for missing features.

Well I will definitely be waiting for reviews then, and impressions from players.

With the way this seems to be going, I don't think I will have to wait long after release to read a blog post from Maxis explaining the situation and their mitigation. These issues have dominated the discussion for this game, more than the game's features itself it seems. Honestly, if they can commit to making many of these base features from previous games, free features in the new game in a future update, I would be okay with it. Sure, it would suck they aren't there day one, but as long as I know they are coming, and they are free, I would be satisfied. I know there will be expansion packs, but if they have a Pool Party expansion pack that adds back in pools for example, then I am fucking out.

Instro

Not that I think the game will be good, but perhaps they have some major day 1 patches coming, so they don't want the game reviewed before then.

RP912

Banned
I feel bad for folks that got this game on preorder especially my mom who insisted that it's going to be better than sims 3 :/.

Whatever floats her boat I guess...

McNum

Is this game online only a la Sim City? Going to be fun reading the reviews when they get released.

Might jump in after a few months once things get patched up and mods get released for missing features.
No, it only wants one authentication connection via Origin on first install and then you can play it entirely offline. No connection required after that.

And yeah, if EA shows this little confidence, then reading the reviews will be... amusing.

Because this normally happen when a game is crap and the publisher knows it and is trying to trick the consumer by delaying the reviews to make a quick buck, it's dishonest and shameful.

You left out the rest of my post. My point was, that Sim City released for reviews early, and everyone gave it great reviews, even though it was a shadow of its former self.

Top Bottom