• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: EA says "no one's getting access [to Sims 4] ahead of release" for reviews

Xpliskin

What amazes me the most is that they do shady stuff yet their numbers are always positive.

Weren't they the worst company in america or something similar ?

If the numbers are good, it's all that matters to them in the end.

Amir0x

Banned
What amazes me the most is that they do shady stuff yet their numbers are always positive.

Weren't they the worst company in america or something similar ?

If the numbers are good, it's all that matters to them in the end.

Gamers have no hesitation, they gettin' their Madden one way or another, no matter how shitty one of their yearly iterations is

McNum

For instance, despite know all that I know about the game, I'm still going to buy The Sims 4. I'll admit, it's mostly out of sheer curiosity now, all hope of the game being anywhere near the game I wanted it to be has faded, but, much like Duke Nukem Forever, I just have to see this thing for myself.

So in a sort of morbid way, I am looking forward to the game. Like looking forward to watching The Room or something. You know it'll be bad, but it's just so fascinatingly bad that it's hard to resist.

Yagharek

I'm happy to say that I won't be buying FIFA this year for the first time. :)
That ends my association with EA until probably The Division is released. I can't stand EA's business practices, so I'm going to stop giving them my MONEYZ.

Boycotting doesn't work if you still buy their next big game, notwithstanding the fact the division isn't by EA.

Aselith

Gamers have no hesitation, they gettin' their Madden one way or another, no matter how shitty one of their yearly iterations is

Madden has a consistent quality as far as i've ever heard. They're not revolutionary or anything but they're reliable.

I've only seen the video showing their new home-building tool, which looked pretty intuitive. I haven't kept up, but have impressions been that negative for the rest of the game?

Edit: Nvm, read the removed features list. Yikes.

McNum

I've only seen the video showing their new home-building tool, which looked pretty intuitive. I haven't kept up, but have impressions been that negative for the rest of the game?
It mostly boils down like this:

Create-a-Sim? Awesome, but we miss Create-a-Style.
Build/Buy Mode? Nice, but where the heck is my pool and terrain tools?
Live Mode? ...nope!

No babies, no toddlers, inactive Sims don't do anything, no normal careers (But you can build a rocketship and be a space pirate!), a ton of missing objects and NPCs, but at least you have Emotions as a new thing. The simulation part is kind of... halfhearted, at best, it seems. It'd almost be a lie to call The Sims 4 a Life Simulator at this point, despite that The Sims, as a series, more or less IS that entire genre.

If there's ONE series that desperately needs a competitor, it's The Sims. Come on Activision/Ubisoft/Square-Enix/Indies, now's your chance!

Handy Fake

I am not joking. The Sims 4 Premium is a real thing. Pause the video as it opens. That's the official EA gameplay trailer.

Isn't it great that we've literally hit that point where you can't joke about bad news for The Sims 4 without people wondering if it's real or mention something real without people thinking we're kidding?

Good God.

Well, you have to laugh. ;)

It mostly boils down like this:

Create-a-Sim? Awesome, but we miss Create-a-Style.
Build/Buy Mode? Nice, but where the heck is my pool and terrain tools?
Live Mode? ...nope!

No babies, no toddlers, inactive Sims don't do anything, no normal careers (But you can build a rocketship and be a space pirate!), a ton of missing objects and NPCs, but at least you have Emotions as a new thing. The simulation part is kind of... halfhearted, at best, it seems. It'd almost be a lie to call The Sims 4 a Life Simulator at this point, despite that The Sims, as a series, more or less IS that entire genre.

If there's ONE series that desperately needs a competitor, it's The Sims. Come on Activision/Ubisoft/Square-Enix/Indies, now's your chance!
How the hell can they promote this game with a straight face. I can't even think of a numbered sequel that got that much worse from the previous game.

McNum

What about [paid] youtubers?
That issue is... different here.

EA has these... um... I'm not sure what to call them. EA calls them Yib-Sims. Means "friend" in Simlish. Yes I know some Simlish, not the point. They, unlike the gaming press DO have early access to The Sims 4. I suppose "evangelicals" would be the word. Respected people in the Sims communities who are expected to shill the game to their fans.

Funny thing is, among these, the biggest fans of the series, there's a mixed opinion. One blogger, although I'm not entirely sure if she's a Yib-Sim or not, actually got her blog banned from being mentioned at the official EA The Sims forum. Mention "Honeywell Sims" and your post automatically gets flagged for moderator approval.

Reading it, it's kind of obvious why. Gotta control the message.

Steel

Banned
.... Yeah I thought about it, and I'm not surprised. Reviews can only come out bad for them at this point....

lenovox1

They have confidence it'll sell, they have no intention of actually improving the game. This decision is only meant to ensure they won't lose sales because of reviews. The only thing they're making clear is that they know the product they're putting out is complete garbage.

I was thinking that EA was planning a day one patch that wouldn't be ready until release date (based on the way they update their mobile phone offerings of this franchise).

gl0w

it's an amazing amazing game, you guys shouldn't think twice, just go ahead and buy it.

trust me, I'm an engineer.

Haunted

Even considering it's not the type of game to review well or appeal to traditional games media, it smells like they're trying to hide something.

The Sims 4 builds on the strong Sims fanbase and is likely review-proof. EA probably feels it doesn't need to worry about outlet reviews for launch.

HowZatOZ

Banned
After Sim City I'm not really surprised to hear I can't review Sims 4 until after it has come out. Maxis just don't have the shine like they use to, and its pretty clear from the gameplay videos and many articles noting cut features.

Just like the movie industry, if the game was actually good the developer would be screaming it from the rooftops, instead of standing behind a "no review until after launch" facade. It is clear though that there are people out there who will just buy the game on good faith or because of their investment in the series, just like those who go and see terrible movies like Sharknado, so this no review system works to some effect.

Zareka

I've been wishing someone would try and compete with The Sims for ages now. Right now, they know they don't gotta do squat because there is literally no alternative.

If one of the other big companies were to put a good amount of effort in to another life simulator to take on The Sims, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Actually, since you mentioned Squeenix, I've been wanting a Sims style game with graphics as nice as FFXIV for a few months now. No idea why that combination.

Bundy

Banned
EA being EA.

What a company......
It's like they're shouting to you: "Stop buying our games! Stop supporting us."

No problem, EA. I won't!

BriGuy

This game is going to be in-app purchases ground zero. There won't be a single aspect of it that hasn't been monetized in some nefarious, oops, I mean innovative new way.

Practices like this are inexcusable. Quite frankly, it only gives some of us yet another reason to be cynical towards EA. Why do it? It shows a lack of confidence in the product and causes fans (who are more in-tune with game reviews and things of that nature) to lose hope. I know, it's EA... But it is incredibly troubling to hear this - especially after my less-than-stellar
(GOD AWFUL)
experience with Battlefield 4.

MrBS

The launch for this game will be the highlight of the gaming news calendar. Tears of joy.

disgunbgood.gif

Gold Member
Really wtf is going on with EA these days? What with Sim City, BF4 and now this, they sure know how to ruin a good franchise!

It's called "The Sims 4 Premium", actually.

Early access to store sets and expansion packs on a subscription. Got leaked from an official EA gameplay video as they clicked through the online menu. Price is yet unknown.

It doesn't say it's a subscription. Battlefield 3 and 4 also have a "Premium" which is just a season pass for all the DLC.

From the vid it says that The Sims 4 Premium gives you "early access to 3 new packs" so it looks like just a season pass for the first 3 DLCs.

Easy to see why.

Reads like a failure in making a series entry.

It's not even funny, this is just sad. This reads like a massive regress.

I'm sure that the reviews will shed some light on it.

2bwj1PF.gif

atpbx

Has there ever been a "good" sims game?

There has been plenty of popular ones, but an actual "good" sims game?

I'm struggling with that one.

Top Bottom