• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: EA says "no one's getting access [to Sims 4] ahead of release" for reviews

StillEdge

And I thought I scored a sweet deal long ago. I guess EA gets the last laugh on this one.

srcKUCR.jpg

You left out the rest of my post. My point was, that Sim City released for reviews early, and everyone gave it great reviews, even though it was a shadow of its former self.

Wasn't that review period timed though? I seem to remember reviews getting access to the online but then it got taken away after a few hours and they had to go by just those few hours....

JLeack

Banned
Well. That doesn't instill confidence. I'm getting SimCity 2013 vibes.

That's cool on the other hand, making paid reviewers less relevant is the way to go. You can focus on reading players' reviews and avoid the whole BUUH IGN GAVE IT 7.9 INTEAD OF 8 noise.

You mean 1s and 10s, and the flood of day one reviews with less than an hour of play? Most user reviews are useless IMO.

When they first announced this I honestly thought it would be the Sims game I always dreamed of. Now it's a nightmare.

Someone needs to make the Skate to this whithered Tony Hawk and introduce some goddamn competition. (Ignore Skate's publisher in this example.)

Maybe they'll just get plants to review the game. Just as they get plants at their E3 conference to feign excitement for this turd of a game.

I thought everyone had plants? Game journalists have way too much integrity to openly cheer at press conferences, and E3 isn't open to the public.

Who needs reviews? EA should just show a crawl of Twitter posts from people who were excited by the latest trailer. That's how these things are done now, apparently.

Brannon

If we were to list all the criticisms and then hashtag it and casually throw that hashtag at all the mainstream media outlets, I think that would do just enough.

But i should know better than to hope. Man, being a cynical dick sucks. Thanks gaming industry!

Yagharek

I thought everyone had plants? Game journalists have way too much integrity to openly cheer at press conferences, and E3 isn't open to the public.

I'm sure they all do, its just funnier when a lone shill for EA does it over a game no-one else in the audience thinks will be good.

Kssio_Aug

Easy to see why.

Reads like a failure in making a series entry.

What the hell!
No pools, no cars, no terrain modifications, fake background, and the list keeps going!?

Thats an absurd!!! I cant believe it!
It seems to me theyre planning to relase a load of expansions including most of those super basic features in the future! Thats disgusting!

FHIZ

"Hey look at this super in depth character creator!!!! ...and here's a barebones Sims experience with it, oh god, please don't kill us" confirmed?

Is this game online only a la Sim City? Going to be fun reading the reviews when they get released.

Might jump in after a few months once things get patched up and mods get released for missing features.

No, but it seems like started as an online only game and it shows. Thats why probably half od the things that make sims 2 and 3 loved games are out.

Handy Fake

It's called "The Sims 4 Premium", actually.

Early access to store sets and expansion packs on a subscription. Got leaked from an official EA gameplay video as they clicked through the online menu. Price is yet unknown.

I can't tell if you're joking or serious. Because it seems funny yet at the same time horribly likely.
laugh3.gif

McNum

I can't tell if you're joking or serious. Because it seems funny yet at the same time horribly likely.
laugh3.gif
I am not joking. The Sims 4 Premium is a real thing. Pause the video as it opens. That's the official EA gameplay trailer.

Isn't it great that we've literally hit that point where you can't joke about bad news for The Sims 4 without people wondering if it's real or mention something real without people thinking we're kidding?

Amir0x

Banned
Hahaha, no surprise there.

Hey man, we should all TOTALLY buy subscriptions to EA's new service. They're totally a company that has proven we should trust them! Forget Dungeon Keeper, Sim City, The Sims 4, online passes, x100 other devious and underhanded shit throughout all last gen. Forget that. I am totally going to buy their subscription, they every day prove they deserve it! We gamers certainly do learn from the past!

I'm happy to say that I won't be buying FIFA this year for the first time. :)
That ends my association with EA until probably The Division is released. I can't stand EA's business practices, so I'm going to stop giving them my MONEYZ.

Retro

Not a surprise at all. The Sims 3 was missing a shitload of features at launch too, and given the clusterfuck that was SimCity, I expect no less. Maxis isn't even a shell of its former self, it's a label EA can use to tug at the strings of our nostalgia in order to sell a scam. The whole "life simulator" genre needs competition, though I think it would be impossible to do without EA sending it's army of lawyers after any soul brave enough.

C&C 4 - Check
SimCity 2013 - Check
The Sims 4 - Seemingly Check.

What's the next PC franchise EA going to tarnish?
You missed Dungeon Keeper.
And Battlefield

And Dead Space

And Dragon Age

Relevant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPMmE04NB8E

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
to be honest what use is a review in this situation even going to be? half the people reviewing the game aren't going to have the kind of knowledge of the sims 3 that's necessary to point out that this is complete trash by comparison. they'll just say 'oh yeah it's the sims if you liked the last one you'll love this one'.

QaaQer

to be honest what use is a review in this situation even going to be? half the people reviewing the game aren't going to have the kind of knowledge of the sims 3 that's necessary to point out that this is complete trash by comparison. they'll just say 'oh yeah it's the sims if you liked the last one you'll love this one'.

Kinda true, I mean how helpful were the day 1 SimCity reviews for consumers? IIRC, they were more advertorials than reviews given the broken and shitty nature of the game.

According to my Corporate to English translator the quote actually says:
Because our game is really bad, we just hope enough people buy our steaming bag of shit before word gets out so we don't completely lose our shirt.

QaaQer

According to my Corporate to English translator the quote actually says:
Because our game is really bad, we just hope enough people buy our steaming bag of shit before word gets out so we don't completely lose our shirt.

SimCity sold 2 million in the first week. Sims 4 is going to sell fine no matter what.

DedValve

Banned
What's the over/under on how many days it takes for some EA corporate bigwig to make an apology to the fans post release about the quality of The Sims 4?

Lets make a betting thread. I avatar bet that they won't make an apology until after 60 days. Hell, I'm feeling confident. Lets make that 90. Quote me, bookmark me and shame me with crow if they apologize before this.

Top Bottom