• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Preview: Traditional Ratchet is back in 'Ratchet and Clank: Into the Nexus'

That is incredibly stupid, the reason why the last two ratchet games were not well liked was not because they were smaller then ACIT the reason why was because they were not traditional..

I'm not talking about the last two games. I'm talking about this one. People are annoyed, since the R&C series was marred by two subpar "experimental" entries. Now, they say they're bringing back the traditional style, but in a pared-down, scaled-back form. Yes, it's cheaper. But we have a right to be disappointed that after four years of subpar installments of the series, we're basically being given half a game.

prwxv3

I'm not talking about the last two games. I'm talking about this one. People are annoyed, since the R&C series was marred by two subpar "experimental" entries. Now, they say they're bringing back the traditional style, but in a pared-down, scaled-back form. Yes, it's cheaper. But we have a right to be disappointed that after four years of subpar entries, we're being given basically half a game.

It's a bit too soon to say that. And they just said its shorter then ACIT not that it's a short game.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
They themselves said it's a smaller and shorter game than the last mainline installment. That's why people are annoyed. The price isn't the problem, it's the fact it's a smaller game.
And what if that's just the right size to tie up the Future saga? I don't think we have a clear determination of whether the game is smaller because they specifically wanted to target a lower price or because they simply ended up making a smaller game and priced accordingly.

sn00zer

For people wondering why 11 ratchet games get a pass while people groan at new GOW games after the first 4 (GOW1-3 plus the first PSP game)

Each Ratchet game propels the story forward while God of War 3 ended the story and every game after has been filling backstory that wasnt necessarily there to begin with....its a shallow excuse for hate (especially considering Ghost of Sparta is arguably the best game), but thats what it is

Teknoman

Zero G areas are going to be fun as hell...but I really REALLY hope that the game doesnt have a dull soundtrack.

I like the gameplay of every main series Ratchet title i've ever played, but the soundtracks of well...any Insomniac game just really seems to be plain old background music.

A Ratchet title with an Ape Escape 1 style soundtrack (style of music would fit the Ratchet universe perfectly) would be my dream game.

It's a bit too soon to say that. And they just said its shorter then ACIT not that it's a short game.

Developers always exaggerate how long their games are. If they're openly saying that it's shorter than ACiT, it's clearly going to be SIGNIFICANTLY shorter.

And what if that's just the right size to tie up the Future saga? I don't think we have a clear determination of whether the game is smaller because they specifically wanted to target a lower price or because they simply ended up making a smaller game and priced accordingly.

I'm not paying for an 8-hour game. Sorry, as much as I like Ratchet, I'm not interested in a game I can finish in a weekend. Especially after four years of nothing.

Tagg9

Unbelievable that people are complaining about the price. It's all about quality over quantity, people.

A shorter, tighter experience might make it the best R&C yet!

I'm not paying for an 8-hour game. Sorry, as much as I like Ratchet, I'm not interested in a game I can finish in a weekend. Especially after four years of nothing.

Are you kidding me? You have to be joking. There are TONS of full-priced games today that have campaigns 6 hours long or less.

It's not about the length, it's about the quality of experience. I would have paid $30+ for Journey without a second thought.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
So these games have no replay value for you? After "four years of nothing" you're just going to play it once and shelve it?

Not to mention that I don't think there's been an R&C game I couldn't finish in a weekend, and I'm not even talking about pulling all-nighters to do it.

Are you kidding me? You have to be joking. There are TONS of full-priced games today that have campaigns 6 hours long or less.

It's not about the length, it's about the quality of experience. I would have paid $30+ for Journey without a second thought.

Exactly. And I don't pay $60 for them, if I even bother playing them at all.

Besides, the R&C series has always offered a ton of content, Q4B notwithstanding because it was designed as a sidestory. Suddenly backtracking on that and making the next mainline entry in the series a short game is a massive disappointment, especially after the dismal previous two games.

So these games have no replay value for you? After "four years of nothing" you're just going to play it once and shelve it?

Not to mention that I don't think there's been an R&C game I couldn't finish in a weekend, and I'm not even talking about pulling all-nighters to do it.

I don't replay games unless they offer multiple endings or significantly different experiences between playthroughs. Linear action games are pointless to replay unless it's something like DMC where the higher difficulties completely remix the entire game.

Joni

But then we would probably be complaining that they left the PS3 out to dry with no big games in it"s last real year on the market, wouldn't we? Still, they could have found a better balance between PS3 and PS4 releases for sure though.

With even just two of those games, nobody would complain. You have God of War, The Last of Us, Beyond, Gran Turismo, Ratchet and Puppeteer. Six important games in a feature-filled line-up with tens of big third-party games. If they only released half of them on the PS3, nobody would have minded. If they had limited themselves to just The Last of Us or Gran Turismo 6, it would have been a strong showing coupled with the third-party line-up.

Loudninja

I bet this game come out in October.

As such, Allgeier wanted to “make Ratchet feel like Ratchet again.” To accomplish this goal, he and his team made a prototype stage -- a “jungle gym,” as he described it -- to get Ratchet’s quintessential feel just right. They then segued what they learned (or re-learned) into their new project, which isn’t only designed to give longtime Ratchet fans what they crave, but to explore the “darkness of space.” While Into the Nexus is very humorous, as all Ratchet games are, Allgeier thought it would be “fun to take [the series] in a spookier direction” with its newest entry.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/11/traditional-ratchet-clank-is-back-with-into-the-nexus

The Nightmare Box is going to be a very fun weapon just to see the reactions of the enemies.

Shinjiru

Traditional Ratchet? Count me in.

Between this, Beyond: Two Souls, FFX HD, Kingdom Hearts HD, Puppeteer, and multiple playthroughs of The Last of Us, it looks like my PS3 is going to be played just as much as the PS4 come the end of the year.

I'm super excited for some actual new weapons. All 4 One and FFA had like nothing new aside from the RYNO6 suit. Most were derivative of older weapons.

sn00zer

Glad they are finally going a bit darker with Ratchet...Crack in Time had a nice serious tone that I think fit the franchise well....especially with the stakes are at now, it is understandable to go darker
EDIT: I noticed the new games never acknowledge the other lombax chick from the first games...is she out of the canon?

I think this was actually a smart idea on Sony's part. They are still supporting the PS3 in a big way with so many good titles and making those who aren't ready to jump to next gen not feel left out. They are trying to still provide a reason to either still buy a PS3 or atleast keep the one they have and not feel that that if they do, that platform would be abandoned. They are trying to concrete the image of the Sony gaming brand and that no matter what console you have (PS3, PS4 or Vita), you will have something worth buying and playing and some of those titles even have cross-console appeal (by way of cross-play and remote play). Kudos Sony.

Edgeward

Fuck yes, while I still have the HD collection to go through I still wanted a follow up to ACIT.

I still will hold out hope they end doing a vita version and that it's a good port.

Loudninja

This is like a full sequel to the Future saga which is awesome.

Apart from a ton of new gadgets and weapons -- and some new tricks and skills -- a lot of familiar staples of the series have returned. The franchise’s famous Skill Points are back, of course, as are hidden Gold Bolts. Regular bolts that are collected can be spent as currency to acquire new goods, and every weapon can be upgraded through experience earned by using that weapon in battle. Familiar characters will also return, including Captain Qwark, Cronk, Zephyr, and Talwyn. Even the Thugs-4-Less mercenaries from Going Commando will be back. This game is, after all, an epilogue to the Future branch of the Ratchet & Clank franchise.

Clanks levels sounds awesome
Clank also has an all-new function in addition to some of his returning moves (such as giving Ratchet the ability to long jump, high jump, and glide). Into the Nexus revolves heavily around the idea of what are, in essence, alternate dimensions, and when Clank is deployed in one of these areas, he gets to go to work. Players will control him directly in puzzle-heavy 2D platforming sections somewhat reminiscent of the lesser-known downloadable game Pid. Successfully completing these areas -- called Netherverses -- open up new locations for he and Ratchet to explore.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/11/traditional-ratchet-clank-is-back-with-into-the-nexus

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I don't replay games unless they offer multiple endings or significantly different experiences between playthroughs.
Which is fine, your choice, but also a deliberate restriction you put on the entertainment value you allow yourself to derive from the game. That's not the game's fault and it's really not fair to make that a criticism of the game. That'd be about the same as me saying Madden sucks because I don't like football.

IGN said:
-- called Netherverses --
Well, if they're called that in game, at least maybe we'll get Nether regions joke out of it yet.

Which is fine, your choice, but also a deliberate restriction you put on the entertainment value you allow yourself to derive from the game. That's not the game's fault and it's really not fair to make that a criticism of the game. That'd be about the same as me saying Madden sucks because I don't like football.

You're saying it's an invalid criticism to say that a game is too short because I don't want to play it over and over again without getting anything new out of it each time?

prwxv3

You're saying it's an invalid criticism to say that a game is too short because I don't want to play it over and over again, getting nothing new out of it each time?
It's a invalid criticism when we don't even know how much shorter the game is compared to ACIT right now.

Loudninja

New weapon I did not see mention
Features:
A return to the Future – Series protagonists, Ratchet and Clank, return along with Captain Qwark, Talwyn, Cronk and Zephyr in a brand-new, story-driven single-player adventure.

Even more crazy weapons and gadgets for your arsenal – Arm yourself with a variety of exotic new weapons and gadgets, including the Winterizer and Nether Blades.

Clank strikes back – All-new gameplay offers inter-dimensional challenges where Clank can alter gravity, manipulate objects and solve mind-bending platforming puzzles.

Discover new worlds… and the dangers of space – Traverse through the zero-gravity of space and explore a mysterious sector filled with new planets to explore along with hidden dangers and dark secrets yet to be uncovered.
http://www.insomniacgames.com/games/ratchet-clank-series/ratchet-clank-into-the-nexus/

It's a invalid criticism when we don't even know how much shorter the game is compared to ACIT right now.

And we won't know until the game comes out, because you can never trust what a developer says about how long their game is. Whatever estimate they give for total play time, you can pretty much cut in half and that's how long it'll actually be.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
You're saying it's an invalid criticism to say that a game is too short because I don't want to play it over and over again, getting nothing new out of it each time?
I'm saying it's an invalid criticism of the game since it's not based on evaluating the criticized component within the context of the game itself. It's still valid for you to say, "this game isn't long enough for me" but that doesn't make it a flawed game because of that, just one that doesn't meet your criteria for play. Just like my criteria for play involves no football.

Massa

And we won't know until the game comes out, because you can never trust what a developer says about how long their game is. Whatever estimate they give for total play time, you can pretty much cut in half and that's how long it'll actually be.

So this game is half as short than shorter than ACiT?

Please GTFO with your hyperbole.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Considering they're talking about multiple planets, I would assume that already puts it at multiple times longer than Q4B since that was basically on one island.

Tagg9

Yes, it will probably end up being half the length of ACiT, which is why it's half the price!

Yes, it will probably end up being half the length of ACiT, which is why it's half the price!

ACiT was about 16 hours long at my last estimation. Which would make this game eight hours long. That is way, way too little content for an R&C game, especially if you want to max out all the weapons.

Lijik

For people wondering why 11 ratchet games get a pass while people groan at new GOW games after the first 4 (GOW1-3 plus the first PSP game)

Each Ratchet game propels the story forward while God of War 3 ended the story and every game after has been filling backstory that wasnt necessarily there to begin with....its a shallow excuse for hate (especially considering Ghost of Sparta is arguably the best game), but thats what it is

Did we play the same series? Other than than the now 4 Future labeled games (And im pretty sure ACiT was sold as the conclusion to that before Nexus happened and now claiming the same thing), a Ratchet game is basically a stand alone episode. I like that about it (I agree hating games just for that is shallow) but its weird to see people clamor for more (and more of the same) when you'll see some of the same people complain about other series that do the same thing.

Joelio13

ACiT was about 16 hours long at my last estimation. Which would make this game eight hours long. That is way, way too little content for an R&C game, especially if you want to max out all the weapons.
The thing is, you have to accept it for what it is. While it may seem short in comparison to other R&C games, they're marketing it as such, hence the half price. Trust me, it sucks to hear it will be rather short but they are explicitly saying that it is a more condensed game, and not selling it at $60 for that reason apparently.

The thing is, you have to accept it for what it is. While it may seem short in comparison to other R&C games, they're marketing it as such, hence the half price. Trust me, it sucks to hear it will be rather short but they are explicitly saying that it is a more condensed game, and not selling it at $60 for that reason apparently.

I'm glad they're not trying to lie to us about it. I really am. It's good that they know it's a smaller game and aren't trying to justify a $60 price tag with a lazy, slapped-together multiplayer mode, or using marketing to trick people into thinking it provides "more value" despite less content and the same price. That's good of Insomniac to do.

But even so, it still stings, especially considering how long it's been since we got a proper installment in the series and how long we're going to have to keep waiting in order for one to actually appear. If this was an interim title or a stopgap between ACiT and the next main game, it would be one thing. But considering it's the next "mainline" Ratchet, its short length and smaller scale are very disappointing.

Tagg9

Your pre-conceived notion about how long a R&C game should be means absolutely nothing in terms of the potential quality of the game. Obviously they are going to adjust the weapon balancing so that they level up appropriately. I actually think it could be the best one yet, as they can cut out a lot of the fluff.

Also, we're lucky to get another R&C at all this year, let alone a traditional title. I wouldn't have been surprised if the next game in the series came out in 2015, and that was the last game ever. It's 11 games, and franchise fatigue is very real.

Joelio13

I'm glad they're not trying to lie to us about it. I really am. It's good that they know it's a smaller game and aren't trying to justify a $60 price tag with a lazy, slapped-together multiplayer mode, or using marketing to trick people into thinking it provides "more value" despite less content and the same price. That's good of Insomniac to do.

But even so, it still stings, especially considering how long it's been since we got a proper installment in the series and how long we're going to have to keep waiting in order for one to actually appear. If this was an interim title or a stopgap between ACiT and the next main game, it would be one thing. But considering it's the next "mainline" Ratchet, its short length and smaller scale are very disappointing.
Yeah, that's a good point.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Traditional Ratchet! This holliday! $30! Brian Allgeier! Meaty and larger than the last two games! Count. Me. In. :D

This game is an epilogue to the Future branch of the Ratchet & Clank franchise.

Cool, maybe they'll tie up all the loose ends that they left dangling at the (terribly unsatisfying) end of ACiT.

Even the Thugs-4-Less mercenaries from Going Commando will be back.

Will Into the Nexus :(no naughty pun): finally see the return of Angela?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?! She was, after all, tied to the Thugs-4-Less in Going Commando and they teased her in ACiT. It's finally time to bring her back! DO YOU HEAR ME JAMES?!

Players will control Clank directly in puzzle-heavy 2D platforming sections somewhat reminiscent of the lesser-known downloadable game Pid.

Yessssssssss! I still wish Insomniac had released extra Clank puzzles for ACiT. Those were so good.

I think the game looks great and the price is great. If it's as long as Sly 4 it'll be worth it.

Also, puzzle-based platformers are awesome platformers.

It seems one of the primary concerns is that, due to the price, it'll be an extremely short game. This is what they have to say about that:

Personally, I'm looking forward to that.

Not too keen on wanting another 25-30+ hour filler filled Ratchet & Clank game that takes several hours to just to get through the basic tutorials.
Even though there have been 10 games in the series already, you'd think they would give the benefit of the doubt to its players already.

Just as long as it isn't a 3 hour game.
A standard 8-10 hours would be fantastic.

Insomniac games announced they're done with 60fps titles right? I remember they hated the sales from resistance 2, and felt development time reaching 60fps destroyed the product or something.

Tools of Destruction was so good.

sn00zer

Did we play the same series? Other than than the now 4 Future labeled games (And im pretty sure ACiT was sold as the conclusion to that before Nexus happened and now claiming the same thing), a Ratchet game is basically a stand alone episode. I like that about it (I agree hating games just for that is shallow) but its weird to see people clamor for more (and more of the same) when you'll see some of the same people complain about other series that do the same thing.

Im just saying things are happening, the overall story hasnt ended like GOW3 did

Personally, I'm looking forward to that.

Not too keen on wanting another 25-30+ hour filler filled Ratchet & Clank game that takes several hours to just to get through the basic tutorials.
Even though there have been 10 games in the series already, you'd think they would give the benefit of the doubt to its players already.

Just as long as it isn't a 3 hour game.
A standard 8-10 hours would be fantastic.
What? No Ratchet has ever done this, not even close. At most there is a 10 minute first stage, plus new puzzle controls. You're making it sound like KH2/FF13

I agree with shorter game lengths though. Gaming time is short these days for me.

Top Bottom