• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Review: Motorstorm Pacific Rift

iceatcs

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/921/921369p3.html

motorstorm-pacific-rift-20081017035748707-000.jpg

8.0 Presentation
Better load times and split-screen races are great additions. It doesn't feel quite as fresh as the first game, however.

8.5 Graphics
The lighting is fantastic and the courses are very dense, but some of the textures could have been much sharper. The crashes are of course awesome.

8.0 Sound
The soundtrack is good, though just your general licensed mix of appropriate racing tunes. The vehicle and crashing effects are well done.

8.0 Gameplay
The controls are good, but not as tight as could be. The chaos and destruction is still there in full force, and the track design is great. There could be more event variety, however.

8.0 Lasting Appeal
There are plenty of events to conquer, and the online will last you a good while.

(if anyone care, UK IGN give it 8.8)

Good score and...
motorstormprBAILOUT.gif

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Great score! Day one, always been!

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
How's the CPU AI this time? They better not be rubber-bandin', physics defyin', no good low down cheats again.

I'm so getting this.

Flunkie

Banned
After the demo, I cannot WAIT for this game. I've played the demo a countless number of times since it came out in Qore.

Pein

Banned
I'll wait until this drops in price before I get it, no time for this right now.

But thats a good score

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
jetjevons said:
How's the CPU AI this time? They better not be rubber-bandin', physics defyin', no good low down cheats again.

I'm so getting this.
Based on the beta...

I'm sorry :(

Yoshichan

Bebpo

Banned
Did they put saveable instant replays in this time so you can go through and watch the chaos that you don't normally see with the race perspective?

The graphics score doesn't sit well with me. They gave Pure a 9.5 for graphics. A 9.0 for gameplay. And 8.5 for Sound. And an 8.5 for presentation.

There's no way in hell Pure is the better looking, playing, or sounding game. Whatsoever.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I was thinking about buying this but I just downloaded both Burnout Paradise and Wipeout HD on PSN and I'm loving them. Burnout for when I wanna chill and drive around and Wipeout is good for when I want hardcore time trials. Don't need another racer.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Being a huge fan of Excite Truck, it makes me sad that I don't have a PS3 to play this on. :(
Good score, and an excellent looking game.

McLovin

I loved the first Motorstorm even with all its flaws. I can't wait for this one!
Did the same guy that did the review for Pure do the review for MS:pR? That might be why it has a better score.

Atomspike

Private Hoffman said:
The graphics score doesn't sit well with me. They gave Pure a 9.5 for graphics. A 9.0 for gameplay. And 8.5 for Sound. And an 8.5 for presentation.

There's no way in hell Pure is the better looking, playing, or sounding game. Whatsoever.
We are in a day and age where bloom extravaganza and Vaseline effects are considered good graphics , Pure doesn't even have dynamic lighting and shadowing, yet it gets 9.5 for graphics.
but yeah! , day one.

Erebus

Private Hoffman said:

In my humble opinion, Pure is looking better than MS2 (judging from the demos I've played). As for the gameplay, MS2 is way better than Pure though.

DarkUSS said:
In my humble opinion, Pure is better looking than MS2 (judging from the demos I've played). As for the gameplay, MS2 is way better than Pure though.

I cannot see how you can come to that conclusion. Pure looks sterile. Flat lighting. Hardly any environmental interaction.

MS2 is a visceral and immersive experience.

pswii60

Private Hoffman said:

Based on the Motorstorm 2 demo, and the full Pure retail game, Pure blows it out of the fucking water in the graphics department.

But, Shane said that MS2 has come a long way since the demo, so who knows.

I don't see why posters are calling out IGN in this thread though. Edge rated it a 7/10, OPM a 3/5. IGN is above the average so far.

Tom Penny

Since I didn't think pure was even close to a 9.5 for graphics I'm thinking the game doesn't even look better than the first Motorstorm which is disappointing and makes no sense.

exarkun

Good Score. They sounded more positive than negative, so I expected a little higher in the end. But I'll probably get it cause i only rented the first one and enjoyed it. Sounds like they improved on most everything I hoped for.

I mostly cared about track design and how many there are and it sounds like both have been improved drastically.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
DarkUSS said:
In my humble opinion, Pure is better looking than MS2 (judging from the demos I've played). As for the gameplay, MS2 is way better than Pure though.

If its the same demo everyone has played then there is a good reason it looks worse, its because its an old ass build.

pswii60 said:
Based on the Motorstorm 2 demo, and the full Pure retail game, Pure blows it out of the fucking water in the graphics department.

Based upon both demos, MS2 blows it out of the fucking water in the graphics department, and I don't really see how you could say otherwise. What aspect of pure looks better?

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
If its the same demo everyone has played then there is a good reason it looks worse, its because its an old ass build.

Now that the game is out, there is no excuse for them not updating the demo if the demo reflected that poorly on the game. It is online after all.

jax (old)

Banned
demo unsold the game for me... I think the visuals were oddly ordinary + for a jungle environment, the colour palette was more brown than green? That's how it felt to me anyhow.

But they haven't really fixed/changed the floating moon physics from MS1 and I hate it. The sense of control over your vehicle still isn't there. Turn a corner, clip a branch, flip over with no weight to your vehicle. I don't like that. The physics system feels off, was driving the monstertruck and it hit a motor bike and roll over like it was made of sponge. There's a big jump in the demo, when you boost over it, your vehicle flies like its on the moon.

Sales -1.

MSpr is still unfixed to me. If I want to play moon physics racer, I still have MS1.

posted by me elsewhere. grabbed the demo last night and came away quite underwhelmed. I buy everything though so I'm sure this will make it into my collection someday~

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I dislike Pure compared to Motorstorm, but let's get real here with the scores. Pure is a new IP that is something we haven't quite seen before, and Motorstorm 2 is something very much seen before. Pure tried to innovate, and Motorstorm 2 tried to refine. Pure had a larger cliff to fall from, and it got to the other side somewhat unscathed. Motorstorm is fresh new gravel on a rough, familiar road.

So I can understand the score difference. :p

pswii60

Private Hoffman said:
Based upon both demos, MS2 blows it out of the fucking water in the graphics department, and I don't really see how you could say otherwise. What aspect of pure looks better?
The AA, textures, detail, huge jumps and draw distance etc. In comparison, MS2 demo is seriously lacking in any kind of texture detail, cliffs looks like they're made of PSOne polygons and textures, and there's fuck all to look at in the distance - just a blurry haze. MS2 demo looks worse than MS1. Anyway, I'll leave you to enjoy cloud cuckoo land.
ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
Which is why I said that Shane had mentioned about how far it has come since the demo. But Private Hoffman is talking about demo vs demo.

Erebus

Private Hoffman said:
I cannot see how you can come to that conclusion. Pure looks sterile. Flat lighting. Hardly any environmental interaction.

MS2 is a visceral and immersive experience.

As I said, I draw all my conclusion from the demo version of both games. Hell, some people even said that MS2 looks worse than the original Motorstorm when they first played the Qore demo and you're wondering how I've come to that conclusion?

I'm really hoping that the final version will be superior to Pure because I've pre-ordered MS2 for months now and if the graphics end up being similar to the demo, I'm gonna be really disappointed. :(

Atomspike

pswii60 said:

I don't see why posters are calling out IGN in this thread though. Edge rated it a 7/10, OPM a 3/5. IGN is above the average so far.

Facepalm.

kids these days should be educated on what constitute good graphics , and like i said before , bloom lighting and vaseline effects don't constitute good graphics.

OldJadedGamer said:
Now that the game is out, there is no excuse for them not updating the demo if the demo reflected that poorly on the game. It is online after all.
It was the same with MS1. The PSN demo looked like ass compared to the retail, and the kiosk demo looked even worst.

They're probably busy working on DLC now.

Baby Milo

with the onslaught of games coming on im gonna go ahead and delay my purchase of this game until next year when there is a slow time in gaming.

pswii60

Atomspike said:
Facepalm.

kids these days should be educated on what constitute good graphics , and like i said before , bloom lighting and vaseline effects don't constitute good graphics.
Kids? I've been playing games since the C64, don't give me that shit. And funnily enough, lighting is what made Motorstorm look so good, certainly not polygons or textures. What I like about Pure is the texture detail, draw distance and environments. And go and stick your vaseline up your ass.

jax (old)

Banned
Jax said:
I think the visuals were oddly ordinary + for a jungle environment, the colour palette was more brown than green?

newmotorstormcompare.jpg

much better. Why the fuck did evolutions NOT update that demo? As mentioned in my earlier post, sales -1. READ THIS. AND THEN GO UPDATE YOUR FUCKING DEMO. I'm confident they do read neogaf.

pswii60

Jax said:
newmotorstormcompare.jpg

much better. Why the fuck did evolutions NOT update that demo? As mentioned in my earlier post, sales -1. READ THIS. AND THEN GO UPDATE YOUR FUCKING DEMO. I'm confident they do read neogaf.
Where's the boost meter in the screens on the right?

And I'm not arguing that the final game looks tons better, MS1 retail looked far better than the demo too. And besides, Shane has already confirmed it.

iceatcs

pswii60 said:

And I'm not arguing that the final game looks tons better, MS1 retail looked far better than the demo too. And besides, Shane has already confirmed it.
Are you for real?
Look at IGN video review, you can see boost meter on the left.
And Qore, 2nd picture just cut off.

I'll give you a tip, don't trust anyone by mouth, trust with your eyes.

Erebus

pswii60 said:

It probably got cut off while making the comparison collage. It's barely visible in the first screen though.

Top Bottom