• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Review: Motorstorm Pacific Rift

iceatcs

iceatcs said:
I think it is better lighting than first because it has more range.

Motorstorm2-fire.jpg

Motorstorm2-Building.jpg

Motorstorm2-beach.jpg

Motorstorm2-Jump.jpg

Motorstorm2-Cliff2.jpg

Motorstorm2-Cliff.jpg
Quote for new page ;P

Fizzle

Jack Scofield said:
Does this game not have a cockpit view? I was looking forward to one.

I'd buy the game on release day for this feature alone.

@thosewhoquotedme

I was just expecting more than a perfected version of MS1. Hence why i think it didn't warrant a 2. I'm still buying the game like the first one (Eventually).

It's just they need to implement immersive features like Farcry/Forge style Level Editing? (or some sort of Game 3.0), Cockpit View/Overtheshoulder & FPS View (for ATV's of course)? Deep vehicle tuning/customization?,Vehicle Leveling? (for unlocks and whatnot), Online-only features? (Cockpit Co-Op mode ), Currency? (Main integral of everything), Charachters? :lol , Pure style jump offs? :D (I dislike the floaty feeling in MS), Replay Editing (for a possible youtube uploading), 4 player clans?, Innovative Modes? (4v4 clan races with 8 laps in which the first person in each lap is through, thus scoring a point for a team), Destructible environments? (Clumsiness can affect a Clan match) etc etc etc.

I don't mind waiting till late 2009/early 2010 for all these type of features. They just need convince Sony that the game can sell 3-4 mil if they gave the game much more awesomeness and much longer legs in terms of replayability like most other games do.

superbank said:
Going by the demos I enjoyed Pure about 20x more... am I missing something?

You're missing the fact that Pure isn't even a racing game. It's basically a glorified on rails excuse to use tricks during massive jumps.

There's hardly any penalty for racing poorly...all you have to do to steer around the tracks is basically press the accelerator.

As far as I'm concerned, that is NOT a racing game.

MS2 is far more intense. The gameplay blows Pure out of the fucking water (I said it again).

YYZ

Has the AI been improved over the first one or is it still frustrating? That's the only sticking point for me. Someone said it's "based on the beta :(", is it that bad?

Private Hoffman said:
You're missing the fact that Pure isn't even a racing game. It's basically a glorified on rails excuse to use tricks during massive jumps.

There's hardly any penalty for racing poorly...all you have to do to steer around the tracks is basically press the accelerator.

MS2 is far more intense. The gameplay blows Pure out of the fucking water (I said it again).
What? Pure is still a racing game dude and currently I view it as the better purchase. Just because there are tricks doesn't mean its not a racer. It just adds fantastic risk/reward.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Private Hoffman said:

Hmm, I didn't get that impression. I was taking jumps, doing tricks inbetween to gain speed (or boost or whatever, kinda forgot how it works) and trying to line up my vehicle for a good landing.

In MS I was just trying to get through the track, the jumps didn't feel very satisfying.

miyamotofreak said:
What? Pure is still a racing game dude and currently I view it as the better purchase. Just because there are tricks doesn't mean its not a racer. It just adds fantastic risk/reward.

superbank said:
Hmm, I didn't get that impression. I was taking jumps, doing tricks inbetween to gain speed (or boost or whatever, kinda forgot how it works) and trying to line up my vehicle for a good landing.

In MS I was just trying to get through the track, the jumps didn't feel very satisfying.

Nothing in PURE feels satisfying because there are hardly any environmental physics that give your vehicle a sense of feeling on the track. Pure felt like I was skating on ice with no consequences whatsoever.

The objective wasn't tight, intense racing and knowledge of a particular track like it is in MS2; the objective was to get as much trick points to gain boost, while the handling around the track isn't a big deal at all.

Private Hoffman said:
Nothing in PURE feels satisfying because there are hardly any environmental physics that give your vehicle a sense of feeling on the track. Pure felt like I was skating on ice with no consequences whatsoever.

The objective wasn't tight, intense racing and knowledge of a particular track like it is in MS2; the objective was to get as much trick points to gain boost, while the handling around the track isn't a big deal at all.

In Pure you have to know the tracks, need to brake on tight corners and make a choice between height off a jump or the speed of gliding over it. The topography of a track has direct influence on the race and knowledge of the circuit is integral to winning. There is no way in hell anyone can ace the game by laying on the accelerator and driving the obvious line. That is a recipe for coming in last.

DrPirate

Banned
superbank said:

I don't know man. I respect your opinion and all, and say what you want about the racing system, but I thought at the very least, the jumps were very satisfying.

Darkpen

Banned
what the.

The press build looks significantly better than the demo! D:

wtf, sony. Release new demo nao (with online play, dammit).

edit: Having played the demo, though, I was kind of really underwhelmed. I don't know. I mean, I enjoyed the gamestop in-store demo for MS1, even though I never picked it up, but this felt like... I was dying way more on bike than I remember dying before >_>

When I played Motorstorm 2 back in August it felt good. The two things I appreciated the most about the game was how raw and rough the driving felt and how crunchy the accidents felt and looked.

Concept17

Private Hoffman said:

I couldn't agree more. I'm not a huge fan of racing games in general, and PURE didn't click with me at all. It feels like the kind of game that would have been fucking awesome if I was still 12 years old and we were doing all those tricks for the first time. But after all the atv games over the years, it just felt like another last-gen racing experience that was even easier to drive through.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
The floor textures are absolutely fucking awful in the game. I have a final build and I can't stand to look at this game most of the time. That and the controls are too wild.

In my opinion, Pure shits on MS2.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
DrPirate said:
I don't know man. I respect your opinion and all, and say what you want about the racing system, but I thought at the very least, the jumps were very satisfying.

I dunno, I just wasn't feeling it. Maybe I'll play more later.

Ploid 3.0

I like how you are beat up by opponents in pure. Those guys are ruthless, especially online. You always gotta watch over your shoulder, and hope the gravity of the track steer you on course before you land. Intense

(joking)

SSX give you more of a race battle (you can touch/punch opponents), and going by the demo of Pure, ssx feel more in control of things. Also better trick system (vs demo though). Tricks = boost, boost = speed. SSX was the stuff, good times.

DrPirate

Banned
AlphaSnake said:
The floor textures are absolutely fucking awful in the game. I have a final build and I can't stand to look at this game most of the time. That and the controls are too wild.

Wow. This is a real disappointment to read.

Do you notice the awful floor textures even at high speeds?

They gave it a higher score than the first and MS1 was the best arcarde racer that I have ever played.
Awesome stuff. Definately my most anticipated title for the year of 2008.

antiloop

Can't believe it being worse/almost equal with the first game. :eek:

I mean everything is improved going by the demo. Plus split-screen.

BeeDog

MS1 with split-screen, many more tracks (that seem to have cool layouts as hell), an infinitely better soundtrack + a custom soundtrack option, and a jungle setting. I'm there (since I'm getting the game for 40€ anyhow :D ).

And oh, that MS2 has to be the coolest game commercial I've ever seen.

I'd like to buy it, but with Burnout that I've bought recently and Wipeout HD, I have more than enough racing goodness for this holiday season. I'm kinda disappointed by the rating so far, but the press sucks so much nowadays that it's not a problem, from the sound of the reviews, and the demo, it's good old Motorstorm again, so it's awesome.

Porridge

Shame about the soundtrack. That was the worst part about the first Motorstorm... actually, second worst. I forgot about those atrocious load times.

goldenpp72

Private Hoffman said:
I cannot see how you can come to that conclusion. Pure looks sterile. Flat lighting. Hardly any environmental interaction.

MS2 is a visceral and immersive experience.

AS I DRIVE OFF IN THE SUNSET WITH MY LOVIN FELLOW DRIVERSSS

okrim

Banned
AlphaSnake said:

Oh shit...I though it's only a demo problem the horrible floor texture, damn...terrible news...

Porridge

Loudninja said:
Custom soundtracks.

Yeah?

"8.0 Sound
The soundtrack is good, though just your general licensed mix of appropriate racing tunes. The vehicle and crashing effects are well done."

Not for nothing, but when a game has a custom soundtrack, I just see that as the developer being lazy and/or cheap.

Loudninja

Porridge said:
Yeah?

"8.0 Sound
The soundtrack is good, though just your general licensed mix of appropriate racing tunes. The vehicle and crashing effects are well done."

Not for nothing, but when a game has a custom soundtrack, I just see that as the developer being lazy and/or cheap.

Wow, are you serious?

Private Hoffman said:

I really don't think you have any idea what you are talking about.

There are whole segments of tracks on Pure that you need to skip if it is an actual race and which you should take in the Freestyle events. Taking some of these segments in a real race can drop you from 1st to 8th in less than 10 seconds.

zoukka

Atomspike said:
Facepalm.

kids these days should be educated on what constitute good graphics , and like i said before , bloom lighting and vaseline effects don't constitute good graphics.

Oh fuck I actually laughed out loud.

Has to be a joke however.

EktorPR

DrPirate said:

No. Even in the state the floor textures are in the demo, it doesn't bother me and it shouldn't bother anyone else if they know what this game is trying to achieve. Its scope is so much bigger than PURE's, it's ridiculous to even compare the two.

DrPirate said:

Of course you don't.

You notice them at the very start of the race as the camera sways across the vehicles before it even begins.

In motion, it's not a big deal at all.

wouwie

I was impressed by the Motorstorm demo, even for an early build. I didn't buy the first one but i'm tempted to go for Pacific Rift. I love the bonnet view: a real sense of speed and raw power on wide tracks with a lot of freedom to do what you want.

Comparing the graphics to Pure isn't easy. I think that these games each go for a different style. Pure is definately less realistic looking (blame bloom and overuse of colors) than Motorstorm. As somebody who bought Pure, i wasn't as impressed with the graphics as i had hoped but i do think that this is more a matter of graphics style instead of technical merits. I like the more realistic look and feel of Motorstorm, even from the early build demo. And yes, the textures seem a bit rough around the edges in Motorstorm but i don't mind at all.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I've never thought that MS looked that impressive graphically, (and tbh MS2 doesn't look that amazing) not when you break it down looking at the individual components, models, textures etc (although I have always been impressed by the lighting), but saying that I found MS to be incredibly immersive, the physics although unrealistic blew me away in MS, when your racing down a gully surrounded by trucks, bikes, mud pluggers etc all weaving around as you watch their suspensions prongs bouncing up and down taking in the impact of the terrain and at the same time spraying mud in your face you feel a sense of real immersion, the ground textures are the last thing on your mind.

spwolf

Porridge said:
Yeah?

"8.0 Sound

what? First of all, did you see the track list for the game? Quite good IMHO.
2nd, if you ever get bored with it, you can use custom soundtracks... ehm, choice is yours. Whats so bad about that?

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
A great score for a great game, I know someone who should have already pre-ordered this, negating the need for me buying it as he loves the 2 player mode.

Alas this thread has degenerated into a "Lulz Pure is shit" thanks to the SDF, which has undermined the fact that MS2 is still fucking awesome but of course it is still mainly more of the same, and thats a good thing.

Also, Atomspike, grow the fuck up, fuckface.
spwolf said:
what? First of all, did you see the track list for the game? Quite good IMHO.
2nd, if you ever get bored with it, you can use custom soundtracks... ehm, choice is yours. Whats so bad about that?
That I do agree with, an 8 for MS2 soundtrack and awesome sound is a bit crap really, especially because as you said, custom soundtracks, but hey, whatever.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Loudninja said:
Wow, are you serious?
:lol It's just like saying "If the developers put split-screen race, it's just the developers being lazy on the single player campaign"

Private Hoffman said:

And pure just sucked didnt it!! It just got terrible reviews, no fanbase behind the game... its totally garbage..yeah ok but Motorstorm2 is just perfect, no faults what so ever, its the pinnacle of all racing games... but pure, just flat out sucks, yada yada yada yada ....

Look man..its fine having your opinion but dont sit here and get all upset and worked up because some of us actually think Pure is a better game man. You know what i hate.. fanboy's of anything. Im glad im not like you because i can enjoy a great game like Pure and the next day i can enjoy a game like Motorstorm 2 ... thats the diffrence between a gamer and a fanboy.... gamers enjoy many more good games while fanboys enjoy just a fraction of the games

No need to get all charged up over someone's dislike of a game you happen to like..

jett

D-Member
Weird how the ground textures in MS2 are kinda caca, because the ones in MS1 are actually pretty good

33cvybo.jpg

14bj32r.jpg

I wish they hadn't bothered with 4-player multiplayer in this online age of today. Seems this shit kind of held back the single player graphics.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I forgot how good MS1 looked...

Fuck me.

jax (old)

Banned
iceatcs said:
Well, he made pro-pure team come here :(

Pure is just fake racing with reality.
Motorstorm is true racing with unreality.

it is possible to have discourse without resorting to that sort of verbal abuse.

As far as pure vs MS2 discussion, I think its quite valid. Difference in actual gameplay aside, games have similiarish environments. The fact remains that Pure might have a stronger engine, might look better (and isn't an iterated title at that too) is all valid discussion points.

Seiken said:
I forgot how good MS1 looked...

Fuck me.

MS1 looks very similar to the pics posted at the top of this page. no more no less. these screens you are saying looks good, really isn't how the game looks like when running.

MotorStorm_2006-12-04_Online_01.jpg

motorstorm27oi.jpg

this is a close representation. Hard to find a decent screen that isn't from the CG footage.

Top Bottom