• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Review: Motorstorm Pacific Rift

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yeah I know, but damn did the game look absolutely incredible when pausing and zooming out (birds eye view). I hope MS2 will look just as good.

Madman

Saw a commerical for this. It showed people with various offroad vehicles jumping out of planes and parachuting onto an island. Then it had some gameplay footage.

Dever

Banned
Awesome score, but I thought the truck in the demo controlled like ass compared to any vehicle in the MS1 demo which I found a lot more fun. :/

antiloop said:
Split-screen priority screwed the game. They shouldn't have bothered and made improvements in other areas.
Blame everyone that complained about the first one not having it. Shame that most of them couldn't or had no intentions to buy the guy even if it had splitscreen.

WrikaWrek said:
When the other dude said M2 had awesome textures did you ask him for screens too?
I want screenshots of the final build genius.

Go back to your corner please, I'm not into your fanboy bs...

I don't get the split screen argument, if 4 player fucks up the detail that much, they could have had 2 level of details for each race. One for SP/online, and another downgraded one for splitscreen. The PS3 has a bluray drive, let's put it to use :D

DarkJC

:lol

Evolution can't win.

What??! Motorstorm doesn't have splitscreen? Fail Evolution, what if I want to play with my friends at my house. Online only doesn't cut it.

What???! Motorstorm 2 has split screen? No wonder the graphics are super crap! I don't need splitscreen, all I want is online!

I love motorstorm, but a lot of that is because it was only a $12 game when I got it. $60 is way too much. Cannot wait to play it for cheaper, though. Or perhaps as a christmas gift.

Personally I don't think Splitscreen is to blame, but the variety of textures instead. Still I have no idea how they are in the final build, could be just as good as the first one as that one didn't have great textures anyway, it just looked sweet in motion.

antiloop

Nuclear Muffin said:
So they should've sacrificed gameplay for the sake of slightly better graphics...

Graphics were fine enough in MS1 IMO.

I never missed split-screen in Motorstorm 1 and it seems like reviewers agree that the priority should have been other areas.

Loudninja

Metalmurphy said:
Personally I don't think Splitscreen is to blame, but the variety of textures instead. Still I have no idea how they are in the final build, could be just as good as the first one as that one didn't have great textures anyway, it just looked sweet in motion.

Looks at IGN video review it looks great in motion.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
WinFonda said:
Am I missing something? When did this game become a disappointment? The reviews aren't even bad... so what gives?
GAF overreacts as usual.

Somnia

I love the over reaction from some people...this game is going to be good even if it doesn't have the best ground textures in a game. I can enjoy the game when I'm going fast as hell and having fun despite bad textures on the ground.

Metalmurphy said:

but unless you have the full game why are you trolling people who say the textures arent that great?

Kabuki Waq said:
but unless you have the full game why are you trolling people who say the textures arent that great?
When did I do that? He said he had the final version I want screenshots of the final version, I asked for screenshots of the final version. How the fuck am I trolling?

You guys have some serious issues...

DrPirate

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
When did I do that? He said he had the final version I want screenshots of the final version, I asked for screenshots of the final version. How the fuck am I trolling?

You guys have some serious issues...

I'll take your side on this one.

I definitely wanna see a pic of these: Bad ground textures.

I believe him and I wanna judge for myself.

As others have said, I'm sure you're not paying attention to the ground and high speeds so let's see...

Melfice7

Why does it even matter? the game looks great in motion, and it's a frenetic racer afterall you're not supposed to stop and nitpick things that look good when you play the right way

DMeisterJ

Banned
I feel sorry for Evolution.

The game is getting decent reviews, and it has improved on the original with shorter loading times, split-screen, and more tracks.

I don't understand how they can be faulted for adding more to a game, mostly what other people wanted too.

As someone else said, what did I miss?

DuckRacer

Metalmurphy said:
The problem re: textures is the setting. In MS1 it was one brown, muddy track after another, and it didn't matter if the textures were low-res. In MS2, there's a lot more variety with the environments; since there's grass, the textures seem weaker compared to MS1, when there wasn't much of a change.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
DMeisterJ said:
I feel sorry for Evolution.

The game is getting decent reviews, and it has improved on the original with shorter loading times, split-screen, and more tracks.

I don't understand how they can be faulted for adding more to a game, mostly what other people wanted too.

As someone else said, what did I miss?
I would to know as well, Motorstorm is the best racer we got this gen. It's the Excite Truck syndrom again, reviewers miss the beauty of the game.

racerx77

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
How am I trolling?
Trolling%202.jpg

:D Kidding of course.

WinFonda said:
Am I missing something? When did this game become a disappointment? The reviews aren't even bad... so what gives?
I'm not sure, I never had an expectation that it was going to be some 9.5 world-beater GOTY contender. It looks like a solid racer like the first, and while it's not an earth-shattering accomplishiment, it'll still be fun to race through.

I think it really comes down to the ridiculous hype placed on console exclusives by GAF (and others) which is out of control. For some reason now, every console exclusive is expected to be some masterpiece when that has never been the case and never will be the case. The world is gray, GAF, not everything is simply up or down.

BeeDog

GitarooMan said:
I'm not sure, I never had an expectation that it was going to be some 9.5 world-beater GOTY contender. It looks like a solid racer like the first, and while it's not an earth-shattering accomplishiment, it'll still be fun to race through.

I think it really comes down to the ridiculous hype placed on console exclusives by GAF (and others) which is out of control. For some reason now, every console exclusive is expected to be some masterpiece when that has never been the case and never will be the case. The world is gray, GAF, not everything is simply up or down.

Pretty much.

Add to that the obscene fascination GAFers have with nitpicking the most trivial things ever. Road textures, seriously? First people wanted splitscreen, and now they get 4-player splitscreen, isn't that satisfactory? I'd sacrifice TEN textures for that.

Yoshichan

BeeDog said:
Pretty much.

Add to that the obscene fascination GAFers have with nitpicking the most trivial things ever. Road textures, seriously? First people wanted splitscreen, and now they get 4-player splitscreen, isn't that satisfactory? I'd sacrifice TEN textures for that.
Damn!

Sidzed2

Motorstorm 2, in my opinion, does look a little rough around the edges.

However, to weigh on this admittedly puerile Pure v Motorstorm 2 debate; I feel that Pure runs a pretty distant second place. There's no tension, no feeling of danger. You might as well be driving Mario Kart go-karts on Wario Stadium.

The physics are lame and the controls are responsive ot a fault; there is nothing visceral about it. Although it does look pretty slick.

Greg

Finally got around to playing the demo and controls still piss me off - I know it's an off-road racing game, but the cars still lack that 'connection' to the ground where you really feel the acceleration.

I still feel burned from buying the original at launch, so maybe my hatred is just carrying over.

Madman

Greg said:
Finally got around to playing the demo and controls still piss me off - I know it's an off-road racing game, but the cars still lack that 'connection' to the ground where you really feel the acceleration.

I still feel burned from buying the original at launch, so maybe my hatred is just carrying over.
I thought that the cars stick to the ground and drive a lot better in general. What is interesting is that once the cars leave the ground, they seem more floaty then they were in MS1.

-viper-

Banned
I'm glad two player split-screen exists though, unlike in the first game, and it appears to look fantastic.

I loved the demo and the graphics look amazing to me (based on the current build videos).

But I couldn't believe my eyes when the US Playstation Magazine gave Motorstorm 2 an abysmal score of 6/10.

jmonteiro

-viper- said:
I'm glad two player split-screen exists though, unlike in the first game, and it appears to look fantastic.

I loved the demo and the graphics look amazing to me (based on the current build videos).

But I couldn't believe my eyes when the US Playstation Magazine gave Motorstorm 2 an abysmal score of 6/10.

The last PlayStation The Official Magazine I received is November 08 and in that issue they reviewed Pure (4.5/5) and Baja (3/5). So it seems MS2 is as good as Baja, or shall I say total crap according to them.

Honestly I'm not sure what's up with the PS TOM review but I'm still keeping my Amazon pre-order. Anyway I would love to read that review and see if I can figure out if there is really anything seriously wrong with the game.

dk_

Wow, didn't expect such a high score after the demo. But well, there're too many other good games right now. Maybe budget...

antiloop

GitarooMan said:

Motorstorm 1 was a masterpiece. Would have expected better from MS2.

Top Bottom