• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Rumor: Nintendo Revealing New Hardware at E3 [Up: MCV + Videogamer]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The main attraction of their E3 showings is a tournament for one of their upcoming Wii U releases. No rational mind can believe any sort of Wii U successor is going to be announced. I mean... seriously? It doesn't even take basic business comprehension, just a touch of common sense.

At most this is the QoL hardware that's been discussed recently, which will certainly not be a technological powerhouse.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
It's not running from your computer, that's the whole point. I mean I guess that is sorta iffy since it is still effecting a consumer directly, but the consumer doesn't physically own the server... so... I dunno.
Let's not involve physical ownership here, though, let's try to stick to use cases.

Because consoles are literally just specialized PCs. Mobile devices technically are too, but to a much greater extent. It's sorta like divergent evolution, with consoles being more closely related to PCs.
What if next-gen consoles ended up being closer related to mobiles?

It should also be noted, though maybe not entirely relevant, that many consoles have been directly referred to as computers by the companies that created them (Famicom being the "Family Computer", PlayStation Computer Entertainment System, etc.).
All those names date back to a time when the word 'computer' was still hip. How many 'computer entertainment systems' do you know developed in the past decade?

Why are you asking these questions exactly?
Well, I'm trying to figure out what makes you think x86 is so 'modern' in consumer aspects.

If our cloud-providing server farms soon run on POWER and/or AArm64, our cars - on embedded PowerPC and/or ARM (they currently do, and will continue to), and our smartphones - entirely on ARM, what is so darn special about x86 that you believe dictates the 'moder' characteristics of the architecture in consumer space? That people run their desktop browsers on x86? Or that two of the tree console vendors this gen went with Jaguars?

I love E3 time.

If anything, I'm going to say it's a 3DS model. Not anything more than what we have now, but something that makes it compatible function as a Gamepad on the Wii U. I'd even go as far as saying it may be something Vita TV-esque. Maybe, Nintendo 3DS Pro?

Doesn't alienate the current install base either.

Nintendo making a new home console seems like a terrible move, with that they'd basically be admitting that they're abandoning the Wii U. I wouldn't be the least been surprised to see a new-and-improved 3DS though, you know how they do.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
lrqoTP6.gif

Oh wow, this is great! Amazing.

A consoles reboot going back to the NES name with stronger Hardware and The classic controller a standard would be awesome. Won't happen because of WiiU of course.

MYE

It won't be a new home console. Rebranded Wii U with new focus on QoL or some sort of 3DS+WiiU thing. Probably a new 3DS.

There has not been enough time for a completely new home console. Not even close.
And that would be a retarded move

I doubt a new Wii U remodel. This is releasing just days before E3-

aIsYrK7.jpg

If there was gonna be a Wii U price drop or re design Nintendo would have never showed this all new MK8 bundle.
I don't think it's going to be a new Wii U unveil either but remember that Nintendo has a metric ton of unsold units to unload. The MK8 bundle would be a great way to clear out that stock.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Anyone else think it's strange that this rumor would circulate the day after the announcement of the MK8 bundle and the free game promotion?

It's already quite a habbit that 1-2 days after each big Nintendo Direct there is a story suddenly popping up. I think couple of times was the famous "Bethesda has no plans for Wii U also this month" thing.

NateDrake

If it is QOL, would a third-party developer really have any information about it? Are companies like Capcom, EA, Ubisoft going to invest in that platform?

Riki

If it is QOL, would a third-party developer really have any information about it? Are companies like Capcom, EA, Ubisoft going to invest in that platform?

Considering everything we know about QoL amounts to jack and shit, it's hard to say.

Anyone think it's strange that this rumor would circulate the day after the announcement of the MK8 bundle and the free game promotion?
Heh, i can see it now (conspiracy time ;) lol

Ign: "Nintendo to reveal new hardware at E3"

Nintendo: "No we dont have any plans for revealing any new hardware at E3"

IGN (making their own news and hits here)

Ign: "Nintendo announce they have no plans to show new CONSOLE at E3"

Ign: "Why Nintendo's E3 will be boring"

Ign: "Why Nintendo will have the weakest E3"

Ign: "What Nintendo can learn from Apple (lol)"

Well, I'm trying to figure out what makes you think x86 is so 'modern' in consumer aspects.

It's because basically all consumer computing hardware these days is based on either x86 or ARM, which is something I am quite confident you already understand.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
It won't be a new home console. Rebranded Wii U with new focus on QoL or some sort of 3DS+WiiU thing. Probably a new 3DS.

There has not been enough time for a completely new home console. Not even close.
And that would be a retarded move

It's only been a year, right?

javac

And yet they decide to not have a press conference for the second year in a row?
I don't understand how this can be true.

They announced the 3DS XL at a random Nintendo Direct 13 days after E3 back in 2012 (E3 was on the 7th, the Direct was on the 21st) *shrugs*

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
It's because basically all consumer computing hardware these days is based on either x86 or ARM, which is something I am quite confident you already understand.
I just listed a few very broad 'consumer computing' categories, and in all but one (the 'desktop browser') is x86 either a non-factor, or facing the possibilty of becoming a non-factor. Clearly, something is becoming 'less and less' modern in the x86.

And yet they decide to not have a press conference for the second year in a row?

They announced the 3DS XL at a random Nintendo Direct 13 days after E3 back in 2012 (E3 was on the 7th, the Direct was on the 21st) *shrugs*

Seems that it's just not their way going forward. Perhaps they feel their games and messaging come off much better in a pre-created, polished form. Whether or not that's a good idea is debatable, but I'm not sure they'll ever show up at another E3 in a stage show capacity.

Gurrry

If its really their next main home console... fuck them.

Seriously, I might sound jaded, but ive sat here and stuck up for Nintendo when they keep getting their ass handed to them. Shit, I went and stood in line (albeit a small one) on launch day for the WiiU.

If they already abandon it.. ill never buy another Nintendo product again.

Now.. having said that... there is just no way this happens...

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
For 23 pages of speculation it sure seems like everyone is convinced it's not actually new hardware but only a new SKU.

Are there any reasons to think otherwise, other than Nintendo breaking every one of its own norms and perhaps realizing it's in trouble? I can't think of any.

maneil99

If there is a new handheld being announced, we should keep in mind it was likely born before nintendo knew how bad the Wii U was.

All the better to pat themselves on the back for all the video views they get, versus risking the apathetic responses they've gotten from the press over the last several years.

Anyway, no way it's a new home console. Maybe a handheld. Possibly QoL (their target audience definitely doesn't watch their online presence, though). Could very well be a cheaper Wii U model. But not a new home console. They wouldn't even know what the target specs should be yet.

Seriously, I might sound jaded, but ive sat here and stuck up for Nintendo when they keep getting their ass handed to them. Shit, I went and stood in line (albeit a small one) on launch day for the WiiU.

lol

mugwhump

Nintendo is revealing the Demon's Souls 2 Cube. It's a cube that only plays Demon's Souls 2.

Trust me, I'm an insider.

A neogaf insider.

Lingitiz

It's probably not, but even so they would probably provide backwards compatibility and give a discount for Wii U owners. At least that's what I would hope for. It's not like there's a ton of owners to do that for anyways.

For 23 pages of speculation it sure seems like everyone is convinced it's not actually new hardware but only a new SKU.

Are there any reasons to think otherwise, other than Nintendo breaking every one of its own norms and perhaps realizing it's in trouble? I can't think of any.

Revealing a new handheld this year for release next year wouldn't break any norms, as metioned a trillion times with the GBC and GBA. There are literally no norms when it comes to the release periods of Nintendo handhelds.

Coxy

I'm guessing it would probably have just dance and similar games so yes to at least some of those?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom