• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Rumor: Nintendo Revealing New Hardware at E3 [Up: MCV + Videogamer]

Status
Not open for further replies.

btrboyev

They would have a live conference if it were new hardware. It's probably a new sku of Wii U with a new gamepad.

Maybe it's a new 3DS model that can double has a Wii U gamepad. Or maybe it's a Gamepad that can stand on its own, or has 3DS capability

shira

Hi! I left the message below on the news story linked in the OP, but I figured I should leave it here as well:

"I understand why someone would consider what we discussed newsworthy, but this story completely ignores an important piece of context: We didn't trust these sources enough to run a story on IGN."

If only Gamerevolution reported on every idiotic thing that Matt and Bozon suggested.

What's to stop them announcing a brand new powerful console and just having WiiU as a third pillar platform which they will slowly fade out. They could still support and make games for it so it doesn't piss off existing customers.

Imagine Kart 8, Smash 4 and Zelda U were all upgraded and were launch games along with the new 3D Mario ! :)

If this is true, it's almost certainly not a new console, because that would mean that NCL was actually prepared for the possibility of Wii U being an abject failure.

Riki

What's to stop them announcing a brand new powerful console and just having WiiU as a third pillar platform which they will slowly fade out. They could still support and make games for it so it doesn't piss off existing customers.

Imagine Kart 8, Smash 4 and Zelda U were all upgraded and were launch games along with the new 3D Mario ! :)

Money and resources.

I propose calling it the Nintendo Beast Mode.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
They would have a live conference if it were new hardware. It's probably a new sku of Wii U with a new gamepad.
Do you need a live conference to show of new hardware? I mean the best way to demonstrate new hardware is the hands on sessions on the show floor.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Here's something to process and I was just talking about this to a friend on the phone the other night...

Nintendo has put themselves in a bad spot in the console realm. First they strike gold with Wii and that fizzles and deserving so. Then they think they can release another rehash corner cutting platform like WiiU which does not even deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as proper next gen platforms as PS4/XB1.

Which brings us to where they will go next. I don't think Nintendo has the foothold or mind share anymore to put out another disaster like WiiU. Nintendo has the luxury of having lots of money in the bank from Wii and hand held profits but their issues are bigger than just putting out another platform which is as powerful or more powerful than PS4/XB1.

They are in such a corner that I honestly don't think 3rd party games will never sell on Nintendo platforms like they do on Sony/MSFT platforms. A lot of people are buying Nintendo platforms to enjoy their beloved Nintendo franchises. I don't even see HW parity saving them as I don't want to even invest in their ecosystem with their archaic account management and I don't know anyone who would associate a game like Elder Scrolls with Nintendo.

Talking to my friend he actually said, "what is Nintendo even doing in the console space" I told him it was a good point. Other than making some of their IP's in HD with some enhanced game play, Nintendo is doing absolutely nothing to compel the core gamer to their platform. WiiU there or not would not even be scoffed at other than the loyal fans who've invested in the platform. It's hard to say that because pre N64, Nintendo was my main go to.

I think the corner they are in is that severe even if they were to be at HW parity with PS4/XB1. Their handheld business is better but that's not as hot as it once was.

Frankly, the spot Nintendo is in is well deserved and has been in the works since the N64 days. This time they are not just getting bailed out by their most hardcore or some gimmick which catches fire like motion controls. There's PS3/360/XB1 for all the exclusives and multiplatform games and then there's Wii/WiiU which is mainly for some exclusives that are mostly funded by Nintendo. This is the state of things at Nintendo and echoing it again, they are in such a bad spot that even HW parity won't save them.

DieH@rd

Banned
I think it will be something wacky, like some wall-mounted home sensor that can track the health and happyness of users.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
They will actually announce the new hardware at the Q4 financial results meeting on 7th, to justify on what they will spend all that profit.

Freeman

Banned

A rare occurrence of common sense.

Trying to replace the WiiU now is just insane. Who would be the public? It would completely burn the bridge with their core audience who just invested in a WiiU, would do little to solve their problem of appealing to the same audience as PS4/XO and would require Nintendo to completely change their internal production to a new system.

For 23 pages of speculation it sure seems like everyone is convinced it's not actually new hardware but only a new SKU.

Are there any reasons to think otherwise, other than Nintendo breaking every one of its own norms and perhaps realizing it's in trouble? I can't think of any.

Well, one way or another, I expect the handheld successor to be announced within the next 12 months. Maybe even by the end of the year.

The main mark against this being a whole new platform is the total lack of leaks and rumours involving such a thing. Both the 3DS and the Wii U were confirmed and loosely detailed months before E3- Nintendo officially confirmed the Wii U's existance, but accurate rumours were swirling for weeks before that, and the 3DS and its 3D functionality were first confirmed in mid-March 2010. You have to think there'd be heavy rumours at the very least were they planning to announce and demo it next month.

At an absolute stretch, you might see what we saw in 2005, with Iwata pulling the hardware out of a pocket and giving no further info, but I wouldn't even expect that much.

I just listed a few very broad 'consumer computing' categories, and in all but one (the 'desktop browser') is x86 either a non-factor, or facing the possibilty of becoming a non-factor.

Yes, everybody understands that ARM is taking over in most fields because raw processing power is less important than power draw in most growth fields for processors today. The places it hasn't are wall-powered systems where raw processing power is more important, and in those areas (where ARM generally isn't a viable competitor) x86 has driven PowerPC almost entirely out of the market, for a variety of reasons.

And again, I am confident you are aware of all of this, which makes your attempts to "figure out" what the poster meant several pages back extremely questionable.

Here's something to process and I was just talking about this to a friend on the phone the other night...

Nintendo has put themselves in a bad spot in the console realm. First they strike gold with Wii and that fizzles and deserving so. Then they think they can release another rehash corner cutting platform like WiiU which does not even deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as proper next gen platforms as PS4/XB1.

Which brings us to where they will go next. I don't think Nintendo has the foothold or mind share anymore to put out another disaster like WiiU. Nintendo has the luxury of having lots of money in the bank from Wii and hand held profits but their issues are bigger than just putting out another platform which is as powerful or more powerful than PS4/XB1.

They are in such a corner that I honestly don't think 3rd party games will never sell on Nintendo platforms like they do on Sony/MSFT platforms. A lot of people are buying Nintendo platforms to enjoy their beloved Nintendo franchises. I don't even see HW parity saving them as I don't want to even invest in their ecosystem with their archaic account management and I don't know anyone who would associate a game like Elder Scrolls with Nintendo.

Talking to my friend he actually said, "what is Nintendo even doing in the console space" I told him it was a good point. Other than making some of their IP's in HD with some enhanced game play, Nintendo is doing absolutely nothing to compel the core gamer to their platform. WiiU there or not would not even be scoffed at other than the loyal fans who've invested in the platform. It's hard to say that because pre N64, Nintendo was my main go to.

I think the corner they are in is that severe even if they were to be at HW parity with PS4/XB1. Their handheld business is better but that's not as hot as it once was.

Frankly, the spot Nintendo is in is well deserved and has been in the works since the N64 days. This time they are not just getting bailed out by their most hardcore or some gimmick which catches fire like motion controls. There's PS3/360/XB1 for all the exclusives and multiplatform games and then there's Wii/WiiU which is mainly for some exclusives that are mostly funded by Nintendo. This is the state of things at Nintendo and echoing it again, they are in such a bad spot that even HW parity won't save them.

Holy shit, did Nintendo kill your dog?

I bet it has something to do with QoL, assuming it's even true. That or maybe a new 3DS model.

Either way, I'm not going to get too excited yet.

HeySeuss

Watch it be some sort of NFC add on for the 3DS for added connectivity in Smash Bros U.

That'd technically be new "hardware".

LiquidMetal14

Holy shit, did Nintendo kill your dog?

Of course not. The truth hurts don't it? As if I wish Nintendo doom (Note- I don't). I'm calling it from someone's perspective that has been gaming for 30+ years and owned every Nintendo platform including the Virtual Boy.

I don't have to preface my opinion with that as the situation is what it is and it's mainly Nintendo's doing.

This is an apparent yes for a lot of people.

Maybe some bring the hyperbole but as I noted in my posts, I hold no ill will but am I totally wrong for seeing the trend at Nintendo? It's been painful to watch them fall from grace in the console space.

Gurrry

There is just no friggin way its a new home console. New WiiU SKU, if anything.

Absolutely no way it can be the successor to the WiiU.

Well Nintendo does not care about sales or money. When they show this new beautiful beast at E3 the tagline will be, "Twice the power of the PS4" Causing meltdowns...because meltdowns truly are whats paying the bills these days and I have proof. Its not about saving, its all about bragging rights now ;)

Orayn

And sticking with a console that is selling less than 150K per month Worldwide on average is common sense ?.

Even if their current plan was to scuttle the Wii U as soon as realistically possible, it's way too soon to announce a successor. Far too many of the details would still be up in the air at this point.

The most they could possibly say would be that they're planning to ditch the Wii U sooner than expected and fast-track the next thing.

I assumed QOL was some kind of peripheral alongside the WiiU. But even if it wasn't, since it doesn't seem to be gaming oriented, would it make sense to reveal it at E3? I don't think so.

A new handheld system also doesn't make sense to me, since the 3DS is trucking along nice and steady. Even if it is behind the DS success-wise, but that was freak success like the PS2, no one should count on that happening regularly.

And the last choice would be a new home console, wich makes sense at first glance but then you remember that there are some new and very hyped games coming for the WiiU this year (smash, kart, x). Wouldn't a new console reveal cannibalize their sales?
The only way I see this happening would be, if Nintendo would also be announcing that those new games will be cross-gen with the WiiU.

Also, some kind of goodwill plan for the WiiU customers seem neccessary, since I am sure most of them would be enraged by going obsolete so soon.

Of course not. The truth hurts don't it? As if I wish Nintendo doom. I'm calling it from someone's perspective that has been gaming for 30+ years and owned every Nintendo platform including the Virtual Boy.

I don't have to preface my opinion with that as the situation is what it is and it's mainly Nintendo's doing.

Maybe some bring the hyperbole but as I noted in my posts, I hold no ill will but am I totally wrong for seeing the trend at Nintendo? It's been painful to watch them fall from grace in the console space.
Yes, a lot of their problems are their fault, but that doesn't mean they necessarily deserve every bad thing that happens to them. A lot of your post reads as straight up hate for the company.

LiquidMetal14

Well Nintendo does not care about sales or money. When they show this new beautiful beast at E3 the tagline will be, "Twice the power of the PS4" Causing meltdowns...because meltdowns truly are whats paying the bills these days and I have proof. Its not about saving, its all about bragging rights now ;)

You got it and honestly, this will matter more on GAF than when the games start hitting and as I already said, not even HW parity will be a saving grace when Nintendo platforms have always typically been about games for their fanbase. This wasn't the case until the N64 and their fall from grace began.

Pretty sure a new console only two years after the Wii U launched would still piss off their existing customers. Even if they still supported it with "weaker" versions of the same new titles.

If they did release a new console, they probably wouldn't want their existing customers to stay on the Wii U, they would want them to upgrade. Their existing customers are their most loyal customers.

A discount for existing owners combined with all digital licenses being transferred would be a good place to start.

Cat Party

Would be awesome if they announced a new console that's compatible with the WiiU but powered more competitively.

We can dream, at least.

Freeman

Banned
And sticking with a console that is selling less than 150K per month Worldwide on average is common sense ?.
If they intend to continue as a platform holder? Absolutely, at least for a couple more years. Learn from what Sony did with PS3, Nintendo need to fix all their problems now with the WiiU (account system, online infrastructure, pricing, third party relations, etc), so that when time comes for their next console to be released they will be able to be competitive. WiiU problem is not its weaker hardware, at least not its main problem.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I think it will be something wacky, like some wall-mounted home sensor that can track the health and happyness of users.

A tablet would be so boring. It should be a Zelda Fairy following you around going "HEY LISTEN" when it's time to take your medicine.

So basically, this entire topic was pointless.

Even minor hardware is thread-worthy.

Nobody paying attention thought this was an entirely new platform. In the absence of any other info, I'm assuming it's minor too, but he doesn't know any more than we do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom