• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Rumor: Nintendo Revealing New Hardware at E3 [Up: MCV + Videogamer]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nerokis

I realize you're making a joke but I find it somewhat shocking that you actually believe the current management of Nintendo is sufficient and capable of producing a successful piece of hardware.

DS, Wii, and 3DS? Was the management behind the N64 and Gamecube that much more successful? (NES and SNES were a long, long time ago!)

Ninjimbo

Nobody hears things about Nintendo. They keep secrets. I don't trust any leaks at all, especially with no press conference.
This is where I'm at. Nothing ever leaks from them.

The only thing making me consider the possibility is that the timing wouldn't be off for the announcing next Nintendo handheld. The 3DS is getting old and all the heavy hitters have seen release. I think the system is heading toward its fifth year. With that in mind, I think it's time for something new, right?

Current management made the DS and Wii, so there's precedence to go on.

And they also are responsible for the 3DS which was saved because Iwata decided to take a huge loss and ofcourse the Wii U. It's been discussed ad-nauseum but the point is important to remember which is Iwata said he'd learned the lesson of the 3DS poor launch lineup in regards to the Wii U and he didn't. Didn't learn from the poor 3rd party support from the Wii even though Nintendo said they had.

When do his supporters finally say enough is enough? No, you deciding that he isn't the man for the job isn't going to have any real world influence but it's shocking to me that so many continue to defend this man after every new occurrence of incompetence displayed and failure overseen. Just because you like Iwata and Reggie doesn't mean they're the right people to LEAD Nintendo. Just because Iwata struck gold with the DS/Wii doesn't mean he's a capable leader for THIS generation and beyond.

DS, Wii, and 3DS? Was the management behind the N64 and Gamecube that much more successful? (NES and SNES were a long, long time ago!)

3DS? You mean a piece of hardware that is doing SIGNIFICANTLY worse than it's predecessor? A piece of hardware that needed an extreme response mere months after launch which led to Nintendo taking a HUGE loss on every single system sold for quite some time thereafter?

Shinta

Banned
This is where I'm at. Nothing ever leaks from them.

The only thing making me consider the possibility is that the timing wouldn't be off for the announcing next Nintendo handheld. The 3DS is getting old and all the heavy hitters have seen release. I think the system is heading toward its fifth year. With that in mind, I think it's time for something new, right?

It's certainly possible, I just doubt that anything really leaked. As far as speculation goes, it's not without its points.

It definitely would be neat to see a new handheld.

Somebody wasn't around April of 2011...

Laser like presicion also XD

Interesting. I guess I didn't realize.

Bet it's a wiiu revision which makes the console cheaper (and maybe make it look a little more different from the wii). That or maybe a gamecube-esque controller for the SSB fans.

Wouldn't be surprised if it's a redesigned Wii u meant to reduce cost and pretty much do re-launch for the system, especially considering there are zero games in the pipe that require the gamepad from what I can tell.

_woLf

I anxiously await my Wii U Ambassador program. If nintendo announces a new console they could say "Everyone who already owns a Wii U gets the entire system's catalog of like 10 good games free of charge!" and I'd still be pissed off.

Wouldn't be surprised if it's a redesigned Wii u meant to reduce cost and pretty much do re-launch for the system, especially considering there are zero games in the pipe that require the gamepad from what I can tell.
This reply should adress the bolded and people claiming for a non gamepad SKU.

In the last investor's meeting Iwata declared that they will be pushing gamepad concepts harder than ever. So, except that he is downright lying, the Gamepad is here to stay.

And is the right thing to do since is the only aspect that distinguishes the device and the tracktion of Nintendo games has been diminishing as years go by. NIntendo support cycles for consoles since the N64 are quite short so it's better for them to try to pass the storm. Taking time to come up with a better tought out concept for a home console or not bother trying anymore.

Majukun

I anxiously await my Wii U Ambassador program. If nintendo announces a new console they could say "Everyone who already owns a Wii U gets the entire system's catalog of like 10 good games free of charge!" and I'd still be pissed off.

they would gift you the new console free of charge,believe it

Riki

Unfortunately that's most likely not happening. I highly doubt Nintendo would offer a significant enough price cut to even warrant such an action.

Besides. The 30 cent games and now a free game with Mario Kart are already better than the real Ambassador Program.

If, in fact, Nintendo is planning to release an upgraded home console, here's how they need to do it:

1. Backwards compatible with the Wii U
2. All current owners of the Wii U can trade in their Wii U for the new system, free of charge (or for $50 with 2 free eShop game)
3. Announce some big North American exclusives (that they've likely had to bankroll)

There you go.

Besides. The 30 cent games and now a free game with Mario Kart are already better than the real Ambassador Program.

The 30 cent games weren't that great. They were SNES/NES games if I recall. Any ambassador program for the Wii U should include GameCube and N64 games which don't seem to even be on the horizon as it is. But yes, the free game with Mario Kart was something the impressed me significantly, regardless of whether you're in Europe or the U.S.

If, in fact, Nintendo is planning to release an upgraded home console, here's how they need to do it:

2. All current owners of the Wii U can trade in their Wii U for the new system, free of charge (or for $50 with 2 free eShop game)
3. Announce some big North American exclusives (that they've likely had to bankroll)

There you go.

So you basically want them to lose a significant amount of money with each system sold. I'm one of the loudest when it comes to drumming up and voicing disappointment with the Wii U (launch buyer here) but I wouldn't ever expect nor want Nintendo to pull such a move. Nobody forced me to buy the system.

_woLf

Unfortunately that's most likely not happening. I highly doubt Nintendo would offer a significant enough price cut to even warrant such an action.

Oh, I know. I was joking (sort of). In all seriousness though a new console would really not accomplish anything and I really hope they don't go that direction. Even a new 3DS model would be a bad idea, in my opinion.

Fularu

Banned
3DS? You mean a piece of hardware that is doing SIGNIFICANTLY worse than it's predecessor? A piece of hardware that needed an extreme response mere months after launch which led to Nintendo taking a HUGE loss on every single system sold for quite some time thereafter?

Then how's the rest of the gaming industry doing when such a failure of a system was the best selling dedicated gaming device in 2012 and 2013?

On Demand

Banned
The WiiU hasn't even been out for 2 years yet. No way it's a console. It has to be a handheld. Maby something mixed with a mobile phone?

Banned
So, I have been thinking about all that non-wearable and quality of life stuff and the only thing that came into my mind was faith.

Well, it’s the only thing I could think of which doesn’t need be worn and can enhance some people’s life.

What I think Nintendo is going to do? Build a church, yeah you heard right, the church of Nintendo.

So it goes this way, everyone with a Nintendo-Network-ID is automatically baptized and thus a member of the N-church,
which obliges you to visit a special new area in the Miiverse, the so called Uhope.

You have to visit this place at least once in the week, or otherwise
all your digital content shall be wiped from your console, irretrievable.

Well, now since the church has your attention you are obliged to missionize
as many people as possible.

For your effort thou shall be rewarded with discounted games in the e-shop.

But the ultimate purpose of the church is of course the gaming in the afterlife.

As reward for a lifelong membership, the church promises you all your long wished Nintendo games,
such as a new Wave Race, a new F-Zero, a 2D Metroid and nothing less but a Zelda game without any handholding and actual exploration.

You only need to have strong faith and well…be dead to experience all this wonder and bliss.

ZVua6.gif

:p

Then how's the rest of the gaming industry doing when such a failure of a system was the best selling dedicated gaming device in 2012 and 2013?

The rest of the industry was doing quite poorly... or were you not paying attention to the consistent reduction of hardware/software sales YOY? Also, not fair to compare a handheld with home consoles. You know...because they're geared towards different markets. You should compare the 3DS to the Vita, not to the Xbox/PS3/Wii/Wii U. Fact is that it's selling significantly worse than it's predecessor which isn't ever a good thing.

Are you seriously implying that both the Wii and DS were fads?

A fad doesn't last 5 and 9 years.

Actually it does and did with the DS/Wii. How do we know? Simple. Nintendo didn't capitalize on it's huge addition of new customers/populations. The blue ocean crowd which made those two the top sellers they were left Nintendo. They didn't come back for the 3DS nor the Wii U. The systems were fads. Successful fads, but fads nevertheless.

ClearData

Wouldn't an update to hardware involve Mario Kart 8? It looks like the old console is included in the promotional images. Unless this is something completely new it seems odd to launch without a killer app. I'm leaning toward no hardware at this year's E3.

Riki

Wouldn't an update to hardware involve Mario Kart 8? It looks like the old console is included in the promotional images. Unless this is something completely new it seems to launch without a killer app. I'm leaning toward no hardware at this year's E3.

Hardware could mean anything from a new controller to a new console to some random new peripheral that no one will ever use ^coughMOVEcough*

Nerokis

And they also are responsible for the 3DS which was saved because Iwata decided to take a huge loss and ofcourse the Wii U. It's been discussed ad-nauseum but the point is important to remember which is Iwata said he'd learned the lesson of the 3DS poor launch lineup in regards to the Wii U and he didn't. Didn't learn from the poor 3rd party support from the Wii even though Nintendo said they had.

When do his supporters finally say enough is enough? No, you deciding that he isn't the man for the job isn't going to have any real world influence but it's shocking to me that so many continue to defend this man after every new occurrence of incompetence displayed and failure overseen. Just because you like Iwata and Reggie doesn't mean they're the right people to LEAD Nintendo. Just because Iwata struck gold with the DS/Wii doesn't mean he's a capable leader for THIS generation and beyond.

You act like not seeing a clear cut benefit in removing Iwata must be the result of having a personal affection for him, but then present such a thin case for the contrary.

The 3DS has been significantly profitable for Nintendo for a very, very long time now. This tells me you're highly exaggerating what a significant loss "every single system" sold for - going from "HUGE loss" to profit over the course of a mere year is not something that happens very often. On the other hand, systems selling at a loss does happen very often. You do realize Nintendo is unique in their emphasis on having positive profit margins for their gaming platforms, correct? The PS4 and the X1 are being sold at a loss, too (and as the 3DS was an exception to this rule for some time, the Wii U is as well). And yes, the 3DS is doing significantly worse than the DS, but not only is that an incredibly high bar, it's also a perfect example of how simplistic your analysis is - is the difference in success more because Iwata's personal touch, or is it in large part to do with how much the market has changed? How much worse did the PS3 do than the PS2? How much worse will the PS4 do?

The 3DS is a success by every reasonable metric, except you could make the case that the business model the 3DS has been successful with is not necessarily sustainable for the long term.

There is no obvious replacement for Iwata, and there is no guarantee removing him would have any particularly positive impact on Nintendo. The Wii U was a blunder in a number of ways, but Nintendo also has a lot of room to breathe as they navigate these tumultuous times precisely because of Iwata's previous success (and his success with the 3DS, as well). While new management might be a good option for Nintendo, that is essentially hollow criticism/advice with no productive value.

Mik317

I was joking

This has been used against both systems tho.

I will say however, the 3DSs shaky start (I am not holding the whole "IT SOLD LESS THAN THE DS" against them because well yeah..smartphones and shit) and the Wii U pulling a Yamcha is a stumble and a hard flop against them and they cannot continue to skate by on pass success alone. I think they get one more chance before its time (mainly since the 3DS rebounded a bit...making the Wii U the only "real" failure in a sense)

rpmurphy

What do you mean by supporters? When investors want a leadership change, there will be one. I honestly do not really care one way or another as to who are the heads of Nintendo's branches, as long as they continue to produce things that I want. As a consumer, my point of view when it comes to what constitutes "enough is enough" is probably not the same as an investor. Iwata certainly does have a lot of things to answer for in the recent years to his employees, to the board and to the company's investors, but his answers are good enough for me because I don't belong to any of these three categories. Perhaps it's because that I have no financial investment in the company that their past success with the DS and Wii has more meaning with their current struggles.

Definition of fad according to Merrium Webster

a practice or interest followed for a time with exaggerated zeal : craze

The fad lasted for 3-4 years with the Wii and 7-8 years with the DS. Each successor did significantly worse than the predecessor.

Fularu

Banned
The rest of the industry was doing quite poorly... or were you not paying attention to the consistent reduction of hardware/software sales YOY? Also, not fair to compare a handheld with home consoles. You know...because they're geared towards different markets. You should compare the 3DS to the Vita, not to the Xbox/PS3/Wii/Wii U. Fact is that it's selling significantly worse than it's predecessor which isn't ever a good thing.

The 3DS was never going to match the DS, it still sold about 50 million units in 3 years. It will probably end up outselling both the 360 and PS3 when all is said and done.

Also countries like Japan have been moving away from home systems in favor of handhelds, hell it can even be argued that the western markets have been shifting towards mobile instead of traditional gaming systems too. As far as the gaming market is concerned, they are competing for the same money.

Actually it does and did with the DS/Wii. How do we know? Simple. Nintendo didn't capitalize on it's huge addition of new customers/populations. The blue ocean crowd which made those two the top sellers they were left Nintendo. They didn't come back for the 3DS nor the Wii U. The systems were fads. Successful fads, but fads nevertheless.

You have no idea what a fad is and should probably stop right now using terms you don't understand.

The 3DS was never going to match the DS, it still sold about 50 million units in 3 years. It will probably end up outselling both the 360 and PS3 when all is said and done.

Also countries like Japan have been moving away from home systems in favor of handhelds, hell it can even be argued that the western markets have been shifting towards mobile instead of traditional gaming systems too. As far as the gaming market is concerned, they are competing for the same money.

You have no idea what a fad is and should probably stop right now using terms you don't understand.

Please. Illuminate me with what a fad is.

Oriel

There you go.

Why would any company just give away new hardware? This makes no sense at all, even for a company like Nintendo who are sitting on a money mountain. They would probably go bust as it would smack of desperation while investors abandoned NCL.

Nerokis

Definition of fad according to Merrium Webster

The fad lasted for 3-4 years with the Wii and 7-8 years with the DS. Each successor did significantly worse than the predecessor.

You know what's lasted even longer than this "fad"? The billions it put in Nintendo's coffers.

There you go.

This would kill Nintendo forever are you fucking crazy?

The other two I can get behind.

Oriel

The Wii, or more specifically motion control, was most definitely a fad. Without that one killer app the Wii would have been GameCube MKII.

I would be very surprised if it was a new console. Revision of Wii U, sure I could see that.

Don't get me wrong, I would love for Nintendo to drop a new console more powerful than both the Xbox One and PS4. I just don't see that happening.

Either way, sounds like it will be an very interesting E3.

Fularu

Banned
The Wii, or more specifically motion control, was most definitely a fad. Without that one killer app the Wii would have been GameCube MKII.

Wii's biggest sellers weren't motion control games.

This fabricated notion that the Wii was a WiiSports box will have to end at one point.

A fad is quick and short, 4 and 9 years for console life spans are neither quick nor short.

Who defines short?

Wiki said:
A fad is any form of behavior that develops among a large population and is collectively followed with enthusiasm for some period, generally as a result of the behavior's being perceived as novel in some way.[1] A fad is said to "catch on" when the number of people adopting it begins to increase rapidly. The behavior will normally fade quickly once the perception of novelty is gone

Notice the behavior will normally fade quickly once the perception of novelty is gone? There is a reason that many of the moms, pops, blue ocean crowd didn't buy anything but Wii Fit and play Wii Sports. It's a reason why they moved on to the tablets and iphones. Because the novelty wore off quickly. The question isn't about how long Nintendo SUPPORTED the hardware or how long it was being sold, the question is about how long it was creating enthusiasm and how long the novelty lasted. Believe me, it wasn't 5 years for the Wii. Wasn't 4 years for the Wii.

Clearly the PS2 was a fad too right?

No... because it didn't create the type of novelty of waggle with the Wii. It didn't create a brand new population of gamers who stayed for one generation and in reality were only on board for one specific game/experience.

You know what's lasted even longer than this "fad"? The billions it put in Nintendo's coffers.

Because that is what the discussion is about...

Fularu

Banned
Who defines short?

You can't be serious. In the dedicated gaming landscape, having a normal console cycle and almost a decade long one are fads now? Why? Because it's Nintendo and insteda of having normal controls you also had motion ones or instead of having a single screen you had two, one of them beeing a touch screen?

Just stop, you're embarassing yourself.

You can't be serious. In the dedicated gaming landscape, having a normal console cycle and almost a decade long one are fads now? Why? Because it's Nintendo and insteda of having normal controls you also had motion ones or instead of having a single screen you had two, one of them beeing a touch screen?

Just stop, you're embarassing yourself.

You're confusing the length that the manufacturer supports the device for the length in which the populace was excited by it and how long the novelty existed. Tip. The novelty didn't exist for 8-9 years for the DS. It didn't exist for 5 years for the Wii.

Nilaul

No... because it didn't create the type of novelty of waggle with the Wii.

That waggle is now included in most mobile games (play any racing game on a mobile), and in the DS4. Motion control is here to stay; but its used where it makes sense to be used.

Fularu

Banned
You're confusing the length that the manufacturer supports the device for the length in which the populace was excited by it and how long the novelty existed. Tip. The novelty didn't exist for 8-9 years for the DS. It didn't exist for 5 years for the Wii.

The Wii was the top selling syetm from the moment it was on the market till the end of 2010 and some of it into 2011.

The DS crushed everything from 2005 till 2012

Get real

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom